What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eddie, I get what you're saying. I do like it when people use larger vocabulary words-- mostly because my father did that a lot. I had that feeling of the cornbread not being done in the middle today. Friend's gf's brother started telling us he thinks "they" (didn't specify who) fired something in to the air to cause Ida and something about how "they" had fired something that incinerated a guy. Not sure what he thought was being fired in to the air to cause it, but he's never been the brightest bulb.

Only one RX was ready so I have to wait for the rest to be filled tomorrow.

I felt very sorry for an elderly lady ahead of me in line. I overheard the clerk telling her that if she got her meds it would be $641. Lady asked if that was with the GoodRx discount. It was. Her daughter came over and asked if she could help but when she was told the price her face just fell. She couldn't afford it either. They both walked away empty-handed and defeated. Medicines should not cost that much.

I went to get my car washed on Wednesday. This is the first time I've had it washed in 3 years, since I always do it myself so no harsh chemicals are used. How ironic that when I got to my car after washing, there was a computer note on my dashboard that the battery in my key fob needed replacing. Do you think my car was trying to tell me something?

I did get my tools and everything put away today after all. Hung my ancient 2-man saw up over the service door. Workbench is actually a clear surface now. If I still drank I'd say I deserve a beer.

My 4 y/o son has taken a liking to my smallest hand planes, and my clamps, and he'll find a scrap of 2x4, clamp it to anything heavy, and just plane away at the edges for an hour or more. Then when he's through with that he'll take a rasp and file the bevels he made until they're smooth, or take a rat trailed file and file grooves perpendicular to the grain. Keeps him busy all afternoon, it's amazing. And very cute. At the grocery store this evening he sat up in the seat of the shopping cart and I noticed his legs and feet were covered with sawdust. I was so proud.

Next is to organize the shelves that were in the garage from the previous owners, and the shelf in the basement where my indoor "quickly fix stuff in the house" tools, plus tape and glue and paint and stuff like that, are supposed to live.

Flyover, I'm glad you let the little one use tools and play like that. Hopefully he'll develop an interest in woodworking when he's older (and hopefully wood won't be so damn expensive).

Tomorrow I will have to go back to the pharmacy and I'm hoping the heat won't wipe out my energy.

I just picked this up from the NCBI website; "We confirmed a novel association of rising obesity trends with increased corn product consumption that may be linked to the growing and ubiquitous presence of genetically modified (GM) or engineered (GE) corn in the human diet." . . . just thinking corn is not a natural food for cattle yet they are fed corn (GMO or GE) to gain weight for slaughter. When the gubberment admits it you know it's bad.

I feel very badly for corn fed cattle. Corn is terrible for them. It gives them terrible indigestion and can actually kill them. But the people who are raising them for beef clearly don't care about whether or not the poor things suffer or not. I realize it's a business and all, but less cruelty to the animals before they are made into food would be nice.

I went to wash my hands in the kitchen sink and heard the pneumatic pump running. I went outside with a lantern and found that the block the D-switch is mounted to had shifted (and would not shift back) so the switch was over the hole at an angle making it so the rod with the float wouldn't go in straight. It had turned sideways and gotten jammed with the D-switch's lever stuck in down position. The cistern was overflowing and the water almost reached the bottom of the pumps (jet pump & pneumatic). I reached in and pushed the lever p so it stopped. It's not the first time this has happened but it's been awhile. The block setup is just not working. Before the lever would jam because the rod needed vaseline. That was when the old switch was mounted on a pipe on top of the tank's lid. But the installer couldn't find that type of switch when he was coming to replace the old one. So he caulked a wooden block to the top and screwed the new D-box switch on to it. It was slightly crooked from the start and my friend adjusted the angle but it seems the block keeps sliding over time.

On the plumbing forums they recommended that I get a solenoid valve but I never could understand how that would work. When I looked them up, none of them seemed like they could fit. Others suggested some sort of cabled float that detects when the float is up vs down. I'm looking in to that option and hoping it would not fail. Saw a fancy system with sensors that go on a pipe but don't know if they can be submerged in potable water. Also not sure how I would connect it to the pump. I need the pump to kick on when the water level is not full. The pump is 1hp V 115/208-230. The wires to it right now are pretty thick. I think 10awg. So I don't know which voltage it is set at or even how to set the voltage (unless it just automatically goes with whatever it's getting).

Anyone dealt with something like this?

I just picked this up from the NCBI website; "We confirmed a novel association of rising obesity trends with increased corn product consumption that may be linked to the growing and ubiquitous presence of genetically modified (GM) or engineered (GE) corn in the human diet." . . . just thinking corn is not a natural food for cattle yet they are fed corn (GMO or GE) to gain weight for slaughter. When the gubberment admits it you know it's bad.

Yeah, my family prefers Grass Fed / Corn finished with molasses or something like that, but they also all love Omaha, which is completely grain fed feed lot. I doubt those cows ever see the outside.

I can't eat Costco anything because it's all feed lot, and it's all blade tenderized meaning you *have to* cook it to well done for safety. I have never met someone that wants a well done steak.

As far as taste, I can't eat Grain fed ground beef after having 100% Grass Fed / Finished. It's like having the best, then going back to the worst for exactly what reason?

My whole family will just talk about the price, even though I remind them that it's MUCH cheaper to buy a whole Grass Fed / Finished cow than it is for them to buy their Costco / Omaha stuff or go to the Steakhouse. It' like $4 per lb. hanging weight for a Whole, but none of them will get it through their heads, and I don't have the huge freezer.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

No Costco near us so we don't get any of that. Omaha steaks are overpriced and not even good.

I knew people who liked their steaks well-done but they were mostly older people who grew up in a time where your food had to be overcooked to be safe to eat. They were worried about getting sick from anything that was cooked properly.

When my brother worked as a cook he always hated it when customers ordered steaks well-done. Especially when he would cook it well done, send it out, and customer would say it wasn't done enough. His manager started saying "Just burn it!" when people ordered well done. He would tell the waitstaff they should tell the customers how it hurt the souls of the cooks to have to ruin perfectly good meat like that.

I like my meat medium rare.

I looked at the motor specs and realized my air compressor pump is 12.2/6.0-6.1 amps. Trying to find some sort of float that is safe for potable water that can do up to 230v, 1hp and 13A (I've seen them up to 250v & 13A but 1/2HP). I'm wondering if sensors instead of floats would be better. Still waiting on responses in other forums on that front. No competent people in my area since not many people have water wells anymore.

Overpriced is an understatement. I call Omaha a "Sales Extreme" site. Since all retailers have "sales" to try to convince you that you're getting a good deal, I run it through filters. I have known about Omaha for years, but in my example of the local Grass Fed beef being $4 per pound, Omaha's current sale I just checked runs at "50 percent off!", which clocks in at $36 per pound for feed lot inferior beef. Then add in of course the GMO aspect like Eddie pointed out. There is no way Omaha is keeping the animals inside 24/7, but feeding them Organic anything.

I just don't understand their customer base, because if they live in NYC or another big city, they are rich enough to buy the "Gold Standard" Wagyu, and if they are middle class like me, maybe Country fried, they might have a local rancher with a $4 per pound price if they buy a whole cow.

I guess their customers must be Midwest corn growing and grain fed their whole lives kind of people. I don't see any other group of people that would pay THAT for THAT.

I remember a 50 percent off sale on "Zen Master", which was some voodoo soda that claimed a bunch of stuff, probably why it isn't made anymore. I bought a case that ended up being $1.29 a bottle or something like that. The factory mistakenly left the invoice in the case showing what they were charging the retailer, which was 39 cents. The "sale" price was still 300 percent what they paid. I know the retailer has to pay the bills, but that's when I figured out there is no such thing as a "sale". They could call it a "Break from charging you a S Load"! At least that would be honest.

A well-meaning friend gifted us with some Omaha steak stuff before. In fairness he'd come from Singapore & didn't know Omaha sucked. We got coupons for some free stuff so mom ordered it a few times. I admit, it used to be a little better in the past but it got more expensive and declined in quality vastly. Tiny steaks full of gristle. Turned in to absolute garbage. Once we realized we could get better steaks at the local stores Mom stopped falling for Omaha's bs.

Took a solid week of work, but I gutted out most of my bathroom but the tub/shower, and replaced the old caste piping in the walls for new pvc. Pictures are the before , the video is the after.

Attachments

• video-1630851903.mp4
    4.7 MB
  • 239976206_2995261114127990_3540819097444525654_n.jpg
    239976206_2995261114127990_3540819097444525654_n.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 240142446_992786648241972_3046143064873931367_n.jpg
    240142446_992786648241972_3046143064873931367_n.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 240281794_2045921278895978_7832566659754369724_n.jpg
    240281794_2045921278895978_7832566659754369724_n.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 7
Marketers know they can sell stuff for 10 times what it's worth by advertising it hard on TV... and TV likes the money they pay for ads... for instance car insurance companies that advertise 'low rates' on TV have rates 4 - 10 times what I pay...

chefman, the transformation looks great! I like the marble looking tiles.

I despise corn syrup as sweetener. Weird thing is, I love corn. I love cornbread, sweet corn, corn on the cob, corn nuggets, etc. But I don't like the syrup form.

I had headache all day yesterday but I'm feeling better today. Still feeling a bit tired though.

I did a couple of gourmet blue cheese burgers on the Watchman Grill and laid a naked ear of sweet corn on the grill. I rolled it occasionally as I ate a burger just letting a few kernels brown a tad on the edge. Buttered it and it was super sweet with that bit of caramelization. The butter was my near ghee experiment in my water seal butter keeper. I checked it for mold and it had a bright ring where the water sealed the inverted cup. It was a verdigri color. I wonder if it was copper from my water or a pseudomonas bacterial colonization?

Marketers know they can sell stuff for 10 times what it's worth by advertising it hard on TV... and TV likes the money they pay for ads... for instance car insurance companies that advertise 'low rates' on TV have rates 4 - 10 times what I pay...

Where do you pay 4-10 times less? I would like to know that.

I think rates depend on where you live. Also, some of those places like GEICO and Progressive give you lower rates for having higher education. They found that someone with a college degree who has multiple DUIs still gets lower rates than someone with a GED or lower who has no traffic tickets at all. Goes for job as well. The less $ you make, the more they charge you. The news did a story on it a few months back about how those companies rip off lower income people.

Today I went to pick up prescriptions but pharmacy closed early. If I'd skipped cooking for mom I could have made it in time. Picked up more frozen meals & ran in to my friend. Well, he came looking for me. He needed to get away from all the people in his house, saw my truck, parked near it, and looked for me. Then his grandfather saw his car and was circling the parking lot looking for him. Found him and laid on the horn-- friend jumped (because it startled him) turned and screamed at him "DON'T BLOW YOUR HORN AT ME!"

I checked sales on laptops to find my mom something she can handle better than the 20lb monster alienware one she's been using. It comes with a big backpack and is a royal pain to carry and move around. CyberpowerPC had a labor day sale. Upgraded to a 1tb ssd for free, upgraded to 16Gb 3200 RAM for $30. Got a free mouse and keyboard. Free $50 gift card, and I found a 5% off coupon code from couponfollow. It's got a 144hz 17.3" screen, blue backlit keyboard, 4gb GeForce 3050 video card, Intel i7 2.4GHz processor. Built in bluethooth and wifi. She'll be able to use her bluetooth earbuds with it. Now she can watch her Dimash videos and play games without having to lug the monster computer around. I think I may be able to clean up her old laptop bag to use for it. If not, maybe I can make her one. I saw one of the stores selling the fabric they make laptop bags and backpacks out of. I have cushioning that can be put inside it too.

I also helped my brother secure the lumbar cushion for his chair underneath the slip cover so now he's more comfortable. But mom's chair no longer leans back and the lift mechanism no longer works. So she might be in need o f a new chair soon-- unless we can figure out how to fix it. I think some sort of gas spring thing needs to be replaced to lift the chair.

I think rates depend on where you live.
I only live in one place but I get quotes up to 10 times what I pay.
AARP/Hartford, Progressive, Liberty, and State Farm currently appear to be about the lowest rates.
You can also use the websites that try to get you the lowest rates/quotes, although some only work with certain companies, and not necessarily the lowest priced ones. just pretend they do.
Many companies have lower New Customer Rates, then jack the price way up upon renewal and say 'everybody did that', so can save by switching companies every time the old policy runs out.
Progressive will give a low rate, you pay it, then a couple weeks later wants tons more info or they will raise the rate. Just tell them to get F'd or you'll report the Bait&Switch to the State Insurance Commissioner, and switch companies again when it runs out if not the lowest renewal rate.

Insurance rates definitely are affected by where you live (I was shocked by how much my rates went up while I was living in California, even after shopping around for the lowest rates available), but I also agree with Buzz. I think a lot of those companies are banking on most people being careless/lazy, which they are.

Speaking of which, I pulled a perfectly good fishing rod, double-sided saw, cordless Harbor Freight weed wacker ("tool only"), flat-ended shovel, and bike pump out of one of the new construction dumpsters recently, though I tossed everything back in except the fishing rod (which became a gift for my son) as I didn't need any of the other things and didn't want to pay for a battery + charger for the weed wacker. If I had extra space to store inventory I could start a side business on Craigslist where I sell all the perfectly good things I find in the trash!

I'm almost done organizing my "new" garage. Gotta make sure I can find a before picture so the after pictures look more impressive. :D

Typing this, I'm 1/3 of the way through my shoulder workout regimen. It's funny how sometimes people take pictures and I'm in them and they show them to me and I see this very muscly looking guy, but when I look down at my own body I still see the scrawny kid I was at 19. Body dysmorphia is a crazy phenomenon. Helps encourage me to keep working out!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back