What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally dry enough here I can get stuff done outside every day now...

I'm glad they protect the happy innocence of children from some people's evil...

Ok, so the Government defines what is "evil", and people are supposed to just accept that?

I can setup a code to unlock certain content, there should be a code to turn off the censorship if I feel there is no need for it. If the little members of the family visit, I can turn it back on, but they wouldn't be watching Ozzy swear anyway.

At what age does a little bit of personal responsibility kick in? Why is it that cartoons have more sexual references than almost any content?

No idea if these prickly pear cactuses, which I originally bought on Craigslist from some teenager who had made cuttings from her own plant, are patented. If the plant police show up, I will happily confess I have no clue, await the results of their DNA test, and if they come back as a positive match for some patented variety of prickly pear then I will concede that ignorance of the law is no excuse and rescind my sale offer and take down my own Craigslist post. I am "fully prepared" to do that.

I worked on 2 different floors yesterday. Skilled nursing and then in the ER with holds (patients waiting on a bed to open in the main hospital). We had one employee leave as her weekly taste came back positive. One who coughed her head off all day (with proper PPE on) she said her allergies had been bad. However, once the first person who was positive got her results, all the other people who work on that floor tested early for this week. Then I went to ER to help with holds and boy was it a mess. All ER rooms full, about 25 people in waiting room, and 6 in triage. Then there were 8 patients in the ER (bed area) on stretchers. In my little area we had 7 patients and 5 were positive for covid.
One patient was younger 28-38 ish. Has brain cancer, and the third positive in a year. The last was 4 weeks ago, I am not sure of why they retested (maybe because of the delta variant?) But she was on the vent with previous admission.
I can still feel my N95 and goggles stuck to my face even though I haven't had them on for 16 hours.
I am absolutely exhausted today. Had planned to do some things, however I work the next 2 days and yesterday kicked my arse.

@Spicoli43 think I am going to restart eating 2 tablespoons of sauerkraut every day. I did that for a while, but then quit. Not sure why.
However, I am anxiously awaiting an appt for an EGD/Colonoscopy because I am acutely aware that something is not right. I was recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia (last year) and hope that that is the reason for my tiredness and pain, and not a misdiagnosis for something more.
That's the hard part of being a nurse. Knowledge is not always a wonderous thing.

I am contemplating on what to use for drawer bottoms in my kitchen island. Whiteboard would make for easy cleaning but might not work for my method of gluing and nailing bottoms to sides. I'm thinking that if I lightly sand the edges before glueing it might work. On other drawers I have used ⅛" or ¼" plywood and added cheap peel and stick vinyl tiles as a drawer liner. Another option might be hardboard with finished side up. I seem to spend more time procrastinating than working but with my plumbing wall I came up with better solutions by not rushing into it.

I worked on 2 different floors yesterday. Skilled nursing and then in the ER with holds (patients waiting on a bed to open in the main hospital). We had one employee leave as her weekly taste came back positive. One who coughed her head off all day (with proper PPE on) she said her allergies had been bad. However, once the first person who was positive got her results, all the other people who work on that floor tested early for this week. Then I went to ER to help with holds and boy was it a mess. All ER rooms full, about 25 people in waiting room, and 6 in triage. Then there were 8 patients in the ER (bed area) on stretchers. In my little area we had 7 patients and 5 were positive for covid.
One patient was younger 28-38 ish. Has brain cancer, and the third positive in a year. The last was 4 weeks ago, I am not sure of why they retested (maybe because of the delta variant?) But she was on the vent with previous admission.
I can still feel my N95 and goggles stuck to my face even though I haven't had them on for 16 hours.
I am absolutely exhausted today. Had planned to do some things, however I work the next 2 days and yesterday kicked my arse.

@Spicoli43 think I am going to restart eating 2 tablespoons of sauerkraut every day. I did that for a while, but then quit. Not sure why.
However, I am anxiously awaiting an appt for an EGD/Colonoscopy because I am acutely aware that something is not right. I was recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia (last year) and hope that that is the reason for my tiredness and pain, and not a misdiagnosis for something more.
That's the hard part of being a nurse. Knowledge is not always a wonderous thing.

Well, being on your feet all day of course is a contributing factor. Being that Fibro (and most other diseases) is a direct correlation to the gut, do you remember IBD symptoms before you were diagnosed? I would say you have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, which is Fibro's twin.

Drinking that chalk for the EGD is always fun. I did it once, but hope to never have to do it again. I'm also hoping with my complete diet revamp and the Bone Broth reset that I will always be a good boy from now on so I can avoid EVER having the other end scoped.

I WILL NOT DO IT, unless Little Baby Jesus comes down and tells me I have to. THAT'S IT.

During your appointment, please ask them about a Bone Broth fast to heal the gut, and about Leaky Gut syndrome. (Some Gastro's don't believe in it, which is a direct violation of how the body works). I'm curious to hear from an insider.

My coffee dyed wash cloths were tan after being washed. My current experient in coffee grounds has some epsom salts added as a mordant to see if more color can be set.

Ok, so the Government defines what is "evil", and people are supposed to just accept that?

I can setup a code to unlock certain content, there should be a code to turn off the censorship if I feel there is no need for it. If the little members of the family visit, I can turn it back on, but they wouldn't be watching Ozzy swear anyway.

At what age does a little bit of personal responsibility kick in? Why is it that cartoons have more sexual references than almost any content?
I for one detest what is happening to our language. I ignore my niece and grand nieces on facebook due to their ever present f-bomb content. I just don't understand why otherwise beautiful people can't use conversational English. Barracks talk in the 82d ABN had a lower percentage (and some of those guys prolly thought Beef Wellington was a wrestler).

Last edited:
I for one detest what is happening to our language. I ignore my niece and grand nieces on facebook due to their ever present f-bomb content. I just don't understand why otherwise beautiful people can't use conversational English.

Right, which proves the FCC nanny rules don't do anything to begin with. Unless kids live in a literal bubble away from everything in society, they will know all the swear words by age 10 probably.

But your comment about what is happening to our language doesn't apply because it's always been the same. Some people / families are always polite and some always swear. All the government agencies designed to "protect us" hilariously fail.

Re. English, I've noticed people on the coasts use a lot of f-bombs, not even to accent things but just as a verbal tic. I find it grating. I don't really care if people cuss, but there's something about people who cuss A LOT that I find really difficult to listen to. Same for a lot of other verbal tics. But in a more general sense, outside of that, I know language is basically an open-source software and is always changing so I've stopped caring when I see bad grammar and even some bad spelling, though it's/its, there/their/they're, possessive 's used as plural, etc. will always bother me.

We thought our (Maytag) washing machine was broken. It was making this really scary loud noise whenever it got to the spin cycle. First my wife called repairmen thinking I wouldn't have time to fix it. Their earliest appointment was in like 2 weeks, so I said lemme just watch some Youtube videos and take a look today. Luckily work was slow so I could do it between my morning meeting and lunch.

After watching videos, tilting the thing up to check for play in the belt/cams, putting it back down and removing the agitator to see if the splines are stripped out, I finally realized it was something very simple and easy to fix: the plastic cage over the belt and motor was damaged and a piece of plastic was bent up so that it was rubbing on the cam as it spun, like a baseball card stuck in a bike tire. I clipped it off and now it's as (relatively) quiet as ever. My wife said she'd buy me a burrito for that one.

I agree, it irritates me when people swear constantly. I can have a polite conversation with a little old lady or a kid without swearing because I was trained right.

Eddie, can you sand/scuff the whiteboard coating just where you want to use the glue to make it adhere better? I think whiteboard drawers would not be a bad idea if they are thick enough.

I think the censoring of words that are considered offensive is silly-- particularly when they allow graphic depictions of violence on TV and movies. South Park called it when they said horrible deplorable violence is OK so long as they don't use any naughty words. The words themselves won't do any harm. There are languages where they don't have words that are considered "bad". There are phrases where the intent is considered bad though. I think it was a friend from the Netherlands who told me they have no "swear words" per se but saying something like "cancer you" (which is saying "I hope you get cancer") is considered extremely rude & might get censored.

I personally don't care if people swear a lot. But I grew up around military bases and my father was from New Jersey. The f-word was an apostrophe in his neighborhood. My sister married a guy from NJ. He drops the f-bomg without even realizing it.

Shan, it must be very difficult working in the medical field right now. I have several friends who are nurses who talk about how brutal things are right now.

I'm waiting to see if the pharmacy will get my prescriptions filled today. They were both supposed to be ready by 2:30pm (still waiting) but 1 says it is still being filled and might be tomorrow. But I expect the pharmacy to be closed tomorrow since it has been closed on weekends lately. It's just my allergy meds so I can take non-prescription stuff in the meantime if I run out though.

I agree, it irritates me when people swear constantly. I can have a polite conversation with a little old lady or a kid without swearing because I was trained right.
IMHO swearing is used when people lack an adequate vocabulary. That being said there are times when swearing may be indicated. I guess what I dislike is swearing when the circumstances don't indicate it (kinda like an athlete's continuous use of "you know"). Swearing doesn't shock me, it just seems so useless in normal conversation. I wouldn't call on the nanny state for resolution, I just look for an easy escape.

Last edited:
During your appointment, please ask them about a Bone Broth fast to heal the gut, and about Leaky Gut syndrome. (Some Gastro's don't believe in it, which is a direct violation of how the body works). I'm curious to hear from an insider.
I will make a note of that. I actually took IBS meds 15 years ago, as a let's see of this helps strategy. It seemed too. However that med was taken off market.
When I am able to be at home, doing whatever physically that I want to do.... I do ok pain/exhaustion wise. However, you add going to work into that and then there is alot of the time that I just physically cant... and cant is a broad term.
I'm the neighbor that you dont want because it takes me forever to finish something, and then the grass is consistently mowed (hoping the rider makes a difference in that).

@zannej its a very thankless job in general and especially now.
I took a nap today only to be woken up by a phone call alerting me that a person I worked with yesterday tested positive yesterday. I had my mask (surgical) and goggles on 95% of the day and I wasn't with her for 15 or more minutes (standard time frame) so hopefully I am ok.
Its definitely super stressful currently. My mom has end-stage COPD, so it's always looming that me getting sick could be the end of her life.
Being a nurse is stressful in general. Some nurses make it sound like it's so much fun, etc.... I have found that those are often the ones that hog the patient care people to do all of the "non-licensed" work.
There is so much more involved other than using a stethoscope and passing meds. However society has dumbed it down to that and is very disrespectful and abusive in the inpatient facility.

I dont cuss alot....EXCEPT..... when I am at work. I get super feasted trying to do my job amd donot well, and have to wait on this or that, or have to go to 4 other floors to find what I need, or have to start a shift half a shift behind because the previous shift got 6 admissions through the night.

Exhausting for sure!

I just replaced all the smoke alarm batteries because one was chirping yesterday morning. That one lasted 4 months and a week (Kirkland AA), which pales in comparison to the old detectors that used 9V, which never chirped because I replaced them yearly. Being that Kirkland is Duracell, I'm going to replace them next time with actual Duracell and see if there's a difference.

IMHO swearing is used when people lack an adequate vocabulary. That being said there are times when swearing may be indicated. I guess what I dislike is swearing when the circumstances don't indicate it (kinda like an athlete's continuous use of "you know"). Swearing doesn't shock me, it just seems so useless in normal conversation. I wouldn't call on the nanny state for resolution, I just look for an easy escape.

Yeah, can be. I mix it up though, I swear loudly while using adequate vocabulary while yelling at the wall when a Moron is on TV. The swear word is usually just the Democrat Mascot with hole at the end.

I will make a note of that. I actually took IBS meds 15 years ago, as a let's see of this helps strategy. It seemed too. However that med was taken off market.
When I am able to be at home, doing whatever physically that I want to do.... I do ok pain/exhaustion wise. However, you add going to work into that and then there is alot of the time that I just physically cant... and cant is a broad term.
I'm the neighbor that you dont want because it takes me forever to finish something, and then the grass is consistently mowed (hoping the rider makes a difference in that).

Those are some of the best cover drugs in my experience (cover the symptoms). I tool Nexium and Prilosec for a couple of years, then got out of the Military and didn't have coverage anymore, which caused the IBS to come roaring back with avengeance. I discovered Baking Soda in water and that worked as a replacement cover. Turns out a lot of those IBS drugs cause cancer.

Latest posts

Back