What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah. Ok. It looked like the feed was live. LOL. It did keep moving. It moved a lot farther east than I'd expected. Last I saw it was down to category 2 and was headed to Mississippi. I hope it won't hit Frodo's area.

It completely missed my area but our power did go out. My friend and his gf were on the phone talking to us. The gf's brother lives in Raceland. He didn't have the $ to evacuate bc his car broke down just before the storm & he didn't have time to get it fixed. Said his roof had blown off and it was pouring rain inside his trailer. Power went out and the call dropped in the middle of the conversation. I reported the outage to my power company thinking they wouldn't care but they actually restored it in a few hours. I was out for the night though.

The new backup unit worked to keep the internet on long enough for me to send a message to my friend that power had gone out but we were ok. Still waiting to hear how he is doing. He should be ok since the storms missed our area. Another friend who lives more to the south had some damage, trees down, fence taken out, power & water out. Hopefully they'll be able to get things fixed soon.

Spicoli, sometimes I'm surprised by what works and what doesn't work on things. Sometimes something that looks like it would never work actually works. Or at least doesn't backfire catastrophically. We'll have to see if there are updates on that house. My guess is it didn't work, but it's a wait and see thing.

And yeah, people here *are* that dumb. Our public education system has been sorely lacking for the longest time. Teachers didn't get raises for over 10 years. They spend all the $ on the school board and admins instead of on books, chairs, etc. They actively discourage any critical thinking and only encourage blindly following rules & never questioning anything. The public schools I went to here were run like prisons. Which might explain why we have the highest incarceration rate per capita. They are pretty much training kids for prison life.

Were Covington and Amite impacted by Ida? I have a friend who is a diagnostic radiologist there.

I'm waiting for a migraine to depart then plan to miter some molding for a wooden panel behind a toilet. I use a DIY miter jig on my radial arm saw so I don't have to change from the 90° setup. Fortunately my migraines are silent and only affect my vision for their duration (usually 30 minutes or so). I've been months on this plumbing repair job (did I say I hate plumbing?).

Well, Z... I'm happy you and yours are fine, I don't know how you can live there. My buddy in Miami that I grew up with near Seattle says people there are terrified of the thought of an Earthquake, but I don't understand that. You can't see that coming, but if I saw a Hurricane on the radar approaching, my Fat Democrat Mascot would be in Iowa!

I would like to know about that house if you find out. Maybe I'm the dumb one, I'm just not seeing how it gets anything besides effort points.

Discouraging critical thinking, blindly following rules, never question anything... That's the Democrat mantra.

I wouldn't want to live anywhere with Earthquakes again. Ideally, I'd like to find a place that doesn't have hurricanes, floods, fires, & droughts. But for now this is home. We went a very long time without major storms. You can sometimes get a heads up on earthquakes. Animals usually cue you in first. When we had a major earthquake in Guam, my cats were spazzing out for over an hour before it hit. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with them. They could feel it coming. Being on an island, it also caused very large waves. So the waves are another big danger of both earthquakes and hurricanes/typhoons.

I was concerned with the tie downs that with them being flat and wide they would actually get caught by the wind and lifted. So, who knows how that panned out. I doubt it helped any. Not sure if it caused any harm either. Waiting on someone in Lafayette to tell me whether or not the house is still intact with the tie downs.

I'm trying to motivate myself to get up and do something productive.

One upside is the storm made one of my cats who has been staying out of my room want to be near me so she's been sleeping in my room again. Downside-- another line just popped up on my screen. Arg.. These damn lines. I really need to get the wall mount put up so I can get my new monitor mounted and won't have to deal with lines all over my screen.

I only have Earthquake experience, 9 or 10 of them. That being said, there's a difference in Seattle skyscraper and Montana middle of a field. The last one here shook me awake but only destroyed a coffee tumbler plastic cap when it fell off a shelf. The big Seattle one I was in did a lot of damage. I looked up and saw the skyscrapers waving back and forth and the cable car lines dancing up and down... Yeah, F that.

People on the Oregon coast dread the massive Tsunami that is supposed to arrive with the massive Quake that is supposed to happen, so they have Tsunami warning signs and evacuation routes. I would live there, up on the hill. I would also live at the base of the Super Volcano in Wyoming because that will never explode in our lifetimes if ever.

Large Zip ties holding the hoops to the fence.
Yes I did that. But on that side of the garden, I didnt put 1x1s in the ground to strap the pvc to for added strength. Its rained most of the day. I went out earlier to surmise and plan. My beans look like they might have fungus starting now, and some of them were up rooted. So I think that I am going to pick everything that is ready, and I may pull them up also.
I was looking at my brussel sprouts and they have been munched on pretty well. I have used DE several times, and used some sprays also. Seems those bugs are determined. I even use the hose to spray them down really well to get the worms off them a few times.i just need to go through and get rid of a bunch.
I have 7 jack o'lanterns I pulled today and 4 pie pumpkins. My zucchini plant is dead and I think that the pie pumpkins are done also.so I will pull that stuff up and mow it over when its dry enough.
I wasnt productive today at all took a 3 hour nap.
I still haven't bothered to fill out the paper work for my appt tomorrow.
My daughter needs to use my car for work tomorrow. She ordered bolts for her water pump pulley at the dealership 2 weeks ago and they still haven't come in. She only has 2 bolts on it currently.

I didn't get all my tools put away, but I did finally get them all out of the boxes they were being temporarily stored in, which were taking up space on the floor. And I did get some put away: the red rolling cabinet is stocked, and all my most frequently used hand tools are up on the pegboard. So now both cars fit, and the mower, and the kids' wagon, AND there's floor space to walk around.

Going to build one more high shelf for my OSB/sheet goods and wide 2x stock, and a set of cubbies for fasteners.

Once all that's done and everything's put away I'll take pictures.

Last edited:
I popped in briefly to see my friend and give him & his gf hugs since they are no longer in quarantine. Kitten I helped lost it's eye though. Will have to take the poor thing to the vet to get it treatment. Friend's gf is officially fired for having Covid-- but they told her they might un-fire her if she brings in proof that she had Covid. She got 3 printouts from the doctor but HR was closed by the time she got them. She going to take the paperwork down there hopefully tomorrow. She said she ran out of gas $ bc neither one of them have been paid.

Meanwhile, friend's mom found out she still has the deed to the house. She tried to get money from him (but he has none to give) so she could buy a trailer and park it behind his house. He does not want her living there but can't legally stop her from doing it. She is in to drugs and she steals stuff. He may have to move somewhere else. I'm hoping she won't get the $ for the house. Too bad he can't sue her for the house bc she promised she'd give it to him if he fixed it up-- and his grandmother tried to leave it to him but she died when he was still a kid. I now wish we'd let the city take possession of it and just bought it for the back taxes that were owed so he wouldn't have to deal with her.

I picked up some groceries, fed mom, and am now relaxing with a cat on my shoulder.

So Z... I am just real curious. As far as cognitive "function" of people down there, are we talking "cuts with the knife towards themselves" or "puts a fork in the outlet because Red Bull costs money"?

@Spicoli43 I have to admit I had the same thought, with all these folks promising/willing property to other people but (apparently) not getting anything written down/notarized/signed in the presence of an attorney, etc., ensuring lasting disputes over ownership.

The latter, Spicoli. Although, there are some of the former as well.

Flyover, in m friend's defense, he never had a close relationship with his mother. She was barely in his life so he didn't know as much about her. She didn't try to mooch from him while his father was still alive. But once his father and grandmother died, she started acting like she wanted to be in his life more. He knew the house was supposed to be his and technically his father's name is still on it. He didn't know her well enough to know she would screw him over on it, but he learned pretty quickly that she would. I think he may have text messages somewhere that can back it up. At the time he agreed to move in to fix it up he was homeless. He trusts people and lets them walk all over him because he feels he would be a bad person to tell them "no". He really is a very sweet and caring person so people take advantage of that.

Yesterday when I went by, the kitten I'd helped with was in bad condition but the vet was already closed. I just got back from taking the poor thing to the vet. I knew he had lost one of his eyes already and the other one needed to be cleaned. But the vet found his front paws were swollen and leaking pus. Had to trim some of his claws and pus came out. One of his ears is also infected and has pus. This poor baby is in bad shape. She cleaned him up and gave him antibiotics. I desperately wanted to bring him home but I don't have a safe place to keep him. So I took him back to my friend, showed him the paws, told him about the infections, and said he promised to take care of him and keep him inside. Said he would not let his gf throw the poor baby out. I told him he needs the eye meds 2x a day and to have his paws rinsed at least once a day. I might go back over with some antibiotic cream for the paws but I'm worried the kitten will lick it off. I didn't want to go inside though bc his gf's family from Raceland are there.

Despite technically being over Covid & testing negative, my friend is still short of breath and feels weak. I'm hoping he'll recover quickly so he can get back to work. His gf is already interviewing for jobs at other places.

My brother mentioned to me that he has a job interview tomorrow. I think he wants me to drive him, but he has his own truck. He can drive himself. He might have to go out the back road though. They are tearing up the paved parts of the road right now on the road we usually take. They had only torn up part of it and left the dirt all piled up and soft so it was a royal pain to drive over. Good thing I'm in a truck bc I would have gotten high-centered in a smaller vehicle. No forewarning that they were tearing the roads up either. There was a sign knocked face down that said "Men Working" (I got out and set the sign upright). Ironically, none of them were working both times I drove by. They were all sitting around drinking (I assume coffee) and chatting.

Zannej, there are standard documents and processes our society uses to establish who owns things, and who will own something after its owner has died, precisely because human relationships are never simple and you can't leave it up to guesswork about who might try to mooch from you, who might be kind to you, who might try to screw you over, etc. Someone who is sweet and caring and trusting can and should still take advantage of these standard documents and processes, and the fact that he chooses not to and then gets screwed over makes him hard to sympathize with. In my opinion at least. It's the kind of thing I could have sympathy for if it happened to a little kid who didn't know better, but a grown adult capable of living alone (and fixing up a house!) should have already heard the advice "get it in writing", or at least seen a couple episodes of Judge Judy by now.

In my state real property does not go through probate unless it's cited in a will. Upon the death of the owner real property immediately goes to the class-A heir(s).

Flyover, he didn't fix up the house himself. We actually paid for a lot of it and I helped him with it. I agree that he should have gotten stuff in writing officially. It helps to understand the culture here though: They still do things on handshake deals instead of by contract. That is considered normal. A person's word is supposed to be their bond. Unfortunately, people lie all the time & my friend gets taken for a ride. At the time he made the deal with his mother he desperately needed a place to stay and she hadn't shown any interest in the house in years. She said that his grandmother had wanted him to have it and she wanted to do what the grandmother wanted (which turned out to be a lie). She hadn't paid taxes on it or done anything with it for years. It was a crack house that had squatters who overdosed so it was then vacant. I did advise him early on to get something in writing but he made the mistake of trusting his mother.

However, if she does try to take the house from him, we are fully prepared to remove everything we put into it- flooring, roof, drywall, cabinets, stove, appliances, laundry machines, insulation, ceiling fans, electrical outlets & cables.. everything. If she really does try to screw him on it, she's getting the house back in slightly better condition than when he moved in, but she's not getting an intact house. The amount spent on fixing it up is beyond jurisdictional limit of small claims court.

If he ditched his girlfriend and got a taller vehicle with AWD or 4WD he could move a mobile home out to our place and stay.

They still do things on handshake deals instead of by contract. That is considered normal. A person's word is supposed to be their bond. Unfortunately, people lie all the time
Sounds like that system doesn't really work a lot of the time. "Get it in writing" is the system a judge will care about, and it's what a responsible adult does regardless of the local culture.

we are fully prepared to remove everything we put into it
I am not trying to be mean or negative but I doubt this is true. I hope your friend will find a better way to protect his property, if he can prove it's his, than by threatening to destroy it.

For his own good, please sit him down in front of a couple episodes of Judge Judy.

I got very little done in the garage today, just made a little set of shelves to hold boxes of nails and screws. In my defense I was working (my job, I mean) and watching kids most of the day, and got dinner ready, which was an involved process because I had to marinate meat, soak corn, defrost garbanzos, grill the meat and corn (in a rainstorm!), make the garbanzos into hummus, cook rice, and finish the meat in the broiler because the rainstorm wasn't letting the grill get hot enough. Fortunately right at the end my wife came home and chopped veggies for the salad so all I had to do was dress it and mix. We ended up eating dinner about an hour later than normal, but it was tasty.

I'm worried about my cactuses out there in the rain. Their pots are closed on the bottom; normally they just dry out after it rains but it hasn't rained this much and their pots are flooding over. Their pots are plastic so I need to figure out a way to drill or poke holes in the bottom without making a huge mess.

My appt today went ok. I had to keep a food log of the past week. I didnt realize that I was not eating enough (or enough protein). That's just a really weird concept for a morbidly obese person. So, I have only been eating between 800 and 1100 calories, and that includes the sweet tea I drink. I just don't have an appetite, and my stomach always feels full.
So..... I go back the end of October to see how adding protein drinks goes, and to also see what comes of the EGD and COLONOSCOPY consult that was put in today. That could potentially not happen because the county I work in (same facility as tests) is in the red with Covid cases so.... idk

She said I had to give up tea 😳.... because of the caffeine. Ugh!! She did say that I could drink herbal tea (decaffeinated) however..... I really only like black tea... I can tolerate green tea.
We shall see how everything pans out, and go from there.
My onions did not grow much. I picked a few today that I could get too. My carrots are about 3 to 4 inches long. I didnt check on the potatoes, however it's not supposed to rain Friday, so I may try to pick them all then.

I'm worried about my cactuses out there in the rain. Their pots are closed on the bottom; normally they just dry out after it rains but it hasn't rained this much and their pots are flooding over. Their pots are plastic so I need to figure out a way to drill or poke holes in the bottom without making a huge mess.

They are Dinosaurs. It rains here then it snows a foot or two, burying my 3 potted Cacti, then it rains again before Summer, and they do fine.

My appt today went ok. I had to keep a food log of the past week. I didnt realize that I was not eating enough (or enough protein). That's just a really weird concept for a morbidly obese person. So, I have only been eating between 800 and 1100 calories, and that includes the sweet tea I drink. I just don't have an appetite, and my stomach always feels full.
So..... I go back the end of October to see how adding protein drinks goes, and to also see what comes of the EGD and COLONOSCOPY consult that was put in today. That could potentially not happen because the county I work in (same facility as tests) is in the red with Covid cases so.... idk

She said I had to give up tea 😳.... because of the caffeine. Ugh!! She did say that I could drink herbal tea (decaffeinated) however..... I really only like black tea... I can tolerate green tea.
We shall see how everything pans out, and go from there.
My onions did not grow much. I picked a few today that I could get too. My carrots are about 3 to 4 inches long. I didnt check on the potatoes, however it's not supposed to rain Friday, so I may try to pick them all then.

Well, you have to ditch all added sugar to lose weight. You can eat Raisins or Blueberries etc. for a few weeks, but you can't have Sweet anything. We aren't in the group of people that can just count calories and hope. We have to shock the system, and removing the main fuel source for the most part of Glucose forces the body to burn fat.

When the body starts freaking out because of no sugar, (weak feeling), it will convert to burning fat, but giving some of the Raisins will help transition it without overloading the system. A handful should be enough. Or, you might get by with a TSP of Coconut Oil.

The only success I have ever had burning fat is that way. The only way you find out if your system works the same is trying it.

If you really want to knock it out of the part, opt in to Organic Grass Fed Protein. Grain Fed is inferior in every possible way, and absolutely reiterates the "You are what you eat" mantra. Eating Grain fed animals or protein powder is the same as you eating the corn or soy on a molecular level. It's why none of those national diets like Jenny Craig etc. don't work. People can't eat the same thing on those diets that they normally eat at fast food joints and lose weight. It's simply called repeat business for the chains based on "hope".

I bet your Dietician said just "eat less"? Yeah, don't know about her, but most of them have no clue because they aren't trained in how the body actually works.

Here is some good Grass Fed Protein, it's cheaper on Amazon, but if you contact the company, they might price match like they did for me.

Good Luck

https://www.raworganicwhey.com/collections/raw-organic-whey

. . . my ex fil passed away 2 weeks ago. I bought his wife a rustic flag case and name plate to put his military flag in. I'm going to present it to her Tuesday.
I need to put a flag case on my to do list so my son will have it for my flag some day. I am thinking simple w/o hinges and latch. It only needs to be opened once to put the flag in so just screws to hold the front on. Maybe knurled brass w/inserts at the corners to finger tighten. I was an honor guard bugler for twenty-some years and saw hundreds of flags folded.

Screenshot 2021-09-01 10.32.53 AM.png

Latest posts

Back