What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not for my area as far as I can see, Spicoli. But then, the newsmedia hardly mentions anything outside of New Orleans. They act like New Orleans is the only place in this state. They were so focused on Katrina when it hit that they barely mentioned Rita and how much damage it did. It destroyed Lake Charles, Cameron, and a few other towns.

Although, my town did briefly get a mention a couple years back when we had record flooding. But it was only bc of a story about a guy who'd had his house flood in a previous record flooding. After that he went out and spent a ton of $ getting landscaping done, having a levy put in, and generally ensuring he wouldn't get flooded again. His neighbors all laughed at him and told him what a waste of $ it was and that he was a fool. So he was on the news with his dry yard and dry house while his neighbors were underwater saying "Who's the fool now?"

I saw some photos of a mobile home someone had tried to strap down with tie downs. People were laughing at it but then there was the comment, "Hey, if it actually works then it was worth it- if not, at least they tried".

Rusty, I'm editing because I just looked at some more recent projections and it shows the edge going over my area. But we have not been given any evacuation notice. The western edge of the storm is supposed to pass over the eastern side of my parish. I'm sort of in the northeast side of the parish. But, we can't evacuate so we'll just see how it goes.

Last edited:
I was surfing the WEB and found these farm boxes. First they reminded me of Coca Cola crates we sat on as kids at the gas station. Then I recalled the Bell System three position box which could be used as three different height step stools or for sitting. Peter Brown scaled the Bell System box down a bit and made one for his shop. Three Position Box (Shop Stool) They look like a useful scrap wood project.
Screenshot 2021-08-28 4.27.28 PM.png

Yeah, Z... That was my experience living West of Seattle. The Earthquakes were always limited to Seattle, even though they never happened there. They focused on Seattle because the buildings were older than dirt and they naturally didn't do well.

I bet that guy's neighbors swallowed their pride and asked exactly what he did after that!

Not for my area as far as I can see, Spicoli. But then, the newsmedia hardly mentions anything outside of New Orleans. They act like New Orleans is the only place in this state. They were so focused on Katrina when it hit that they barely mentioned Rita and how much damage it did. It destroyed Lake Charles, Cameron, and a few other towns.

Although, my town did briefly get a mention a couple years back when we had record flooding. But it was only bc of a story about a guy who'd had his house flood in a previous record flooding. After that he went out and spent a ton of $ getting landscaping done, having a levy put in, and generally ensuring he wouldn't get flooded again. His neighbors all laughed at him and told him what a waste of $ it was and that he was a fool. So he was on the news with his dry yard and dry house while his neighbors were underwater saying "Who's the fool now?"

I saw some photos of a mobile home someone had tried to strap down with tie downs. People were laughing at it but then there was the comment, "Hey, if it actually works then it was worth it- if not, at least they tried".

Rusty, I'm editing because I just looked at some more recent projections and it shows the edge going over my area. But we have not been given any evacuation notice. The western edge of the storm is supposed to pass over the eastern side of my parish. I'm sort of in the northeast side of the parish. But, we can't evacuate so we'll just see how it goes.
Latest shows it going west of Lake Charles, right through your area.

@zannej it definitely is a mess. I used to live in New Orleans for a short time. Metairie area in the Forest Isle apts. It was in the early 90s. Definitely not somewhere I would ever want to work again. I hope you are safe.

@Spicoli43 those dont happen real often. It's my fault, I didnt brace that side (north) of the garden like I did the other (south) theres a 6 foot tall privacy fence about 15 feet from it and some trees on the west side about 12 feet. My cucumbers trellis is onnthe ground, my beans trellis is on the ground. I may have to pull alot of it out. My tomatoes are starting to show some blight from all the rain and my pie pumpkins have some powdery mildew. They are almost completely orange so it would be ok to pull them.

I still have carrots, onions, and potatoes I need to pull. So..... it may be the end of garden season for me this year. I'll just have to see this coming week

Here are some daytime pics20210827_182553.jpg20210827_182538.jpg

On another note. My sunflowers have been gorgeous this year

20210828_200649.jpg20210803_092408.jpg

And some flowers20210827_183037.jpg20210823_102737.jpg20210823_102755.jpg20210823_102748.jpg

@Eddie_T they use boxes like that in the film industry. Usually they're not painted. The ones of the size in your pic are called "full apples" because they're the full size of an apple crate, only closed on all sides, but with those same cut-out handles on the ends. Then they also have "half apples", "quarter apples", and ones that are basically just slabs of wood 1.5" thick or so and I forget what they call those. Slices maybe. They're used for bringing anything from dolly track to actors up off the ground/level with something else, or just to sit on. Only the "full apples" are used in a way that takes advantage of their various dimensions since the other ones would get tippy if you tried it.

Yesterday I started work on my garage and got pretty far: finished the workbench and a smaller end piece that holds both the miter saw and the air compressor & air tools, built a corral for the collapsible chairs, got things organized some. Today I hope to finish it: need to build some shelves for lumber storage and do more cleaning/organization, and get all my tools put away or hung up. The goal is to be able to park both cars and the mower in the garage while still being able to access everything.

Oh and I forgot to add the obvious: I spent exactly $0 on this whole project thanks to all the dumpster diving I've been doing. Budget originally was $250. Thank goodness for other people's wastefulness I guess.

@Flyover The film industry is interesting I was in a class at Port Hueneme while some of the Winds of War scenes were being filmed. In particular the sunrise bombing of Pearl Harbor was filmed at sundown Port Hueneme. Some of us went down to the waterfront after class. Bodies were maybe ⅔ size muslin dummies with helmets and partial clothing but in a quick camera pan looked realistic. I have forgotten what aircraft were used to simulate Japanese Zeroes.

Those boxes in pictured in my post were $85.80, $90.20 and $94.60 respectively with free shipping on Etsy (but free from your wood supplier). Antique corbels (which I will make) were $85 to $99 ea for the ones I liked.

Last edited:
I have four pineapple (disease resistant) tomato plants around 4 ft high with a few blooms no tomatoes yet. I don't get enough sun due to tall poplar and oak trees. I have harvested a few Japanese cucumbers. My pole beans are bearing no, from four vines I may be able to pull enough beans to saute Korean style for one or two meals. I didn't try Sea Magic, maybe next year.

Thanks guys. The most recent projection shows the storm missing us entirely. Way east of the Parish. Alexandria is to the east of us and it is no longer on the projected path. I'm still watching that link Spicoli sent. It's a bit hypnotic watching the winds swirl around and around. I see the red colored winds have already made landfall.

I would hope the neighbors would swallow their pride, but that's something that doesn't happen often here. Too many stupid people. I doubt they could afford it after the damage-- and a lot of people don't have insurance (or don't have flood insurance specifically). The insurance companies here will find any excuse not to pay even if someone is supposed to be covered. I'm very lucky to be on high ground.

Shan, it sucks that your garden took such a hit. I hope you can salvage most of it. Wish I knew more about the blight on them. If I knew more about the garden I could ask my uncle and see if he has any feedback. He's a master gardener. Actually has some sort of certification for it. New Orleans is a cesspool. You couldn't pay me to live there. High crime rate and the whole area is a bowl that fills in big storms. Your flowers look nice.

Flyover, sounds like you've been busy and the dumpster diving has paid off.

I'm sitting here watching the weather stuff on the internet and hoping the storm doesn't turn back west. I keep hoping the stupid thing will just die out. I got woken up early because my cats were hungry so they piled on. One of the cats sat in front of my face and kept tapping my nose and lips to get my attention. I covered my face so she reached her paw under my hands/arms to tap my face. She meowed softly at me and then rubbed her face on my forehead. So I got up and fed them. They are now stuffed and lounging around my room and on my bed.

Thanks guys. The most recent projection shows the storm missing us entirely. Way east of the Parish. Alexandria is to the east of us and it is no longer on the projected path. I'm still watching that link Spicoli sent. It's a bit hypnotic watching the winds swirl around and around. I see the red colored winds have already made landfall.

I would hope the neighbors would swallow their pride, but that's something that doesn't happen often here. Too many stupid people. I doubt they could afford it after the damage-- and a lot of people don't have insurance (or don't have flood insurance specifically). The insurance companies here will find any excuse not to pay even if someone is supposed to be covered. I'm very lucky to be on high ground.

Remember, that Earth site updates every 3 hours. It updates next at 1700 your time. I would assume you get local news updates faster than that, but I just heard your Governor spout off a bunch of DUH stuff, so I don't know if you do. Hey, if there is a whole lot of wind, don't drive around (DUH)

There is no good Insurance company in the States. On some things, I have to check my pessimism. Not on Insurance.

This is from Lafayette. I think I mentioned it, but I found the pic again.
View attachment 26401

I like that song, Eddie. First time hearing it.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA

WOW... So, do they think the ratchet straps will keep the house from becoming a pile of rubble?

I'm not understanding the advanced intelligence these people are displaying, but I'm pretty sure those straps will snap real quick.

"Hurricane Ida is life threatening storm"... Biden

WHEW... I just don't know what I would do without him around. I just never figured it out until now...

The earth site you linked me is actually doing live updates. I have been watching the storm crawl closer to land, reach land, and now the eye is totally over the land. It has an option to select "now" as the time.

While what the governor is saying is "Duh" stuff, it needs to be said because there are a LOT of stupid people who have to be told these things. Keep in mind his audience is Louisiana and there are a whole hell of a lot of dumb f***s out here.

The tie down thing has me laughing. But if it works, it's worth it. Long shot, but at least they are trying. LOL. I've seen dumber things. Of course, there's always the chance the straps will catch wind and end up snapping and breaking windows... We'll see how it works out. I know people who still have tarps on their roofs from Laura.

Biden transformed in to Captain Obvious.

On the upside, I've noticed the wind speed has slowed down. Was at 147kmh at the fastest and now is around 112kmh in the fastest areas.

Z, the "now" selection corrects it if it's been lagging. It will never show 3 minutes after the hour, only the top of the hour. It does update every hour now though, it used to be 3 hours.

I can't believe there are people that dumb there.

For the tie downs, what do you mean "if it works"? If the straps DON'T take someone out like "Final Destination", I would be surprised.

I saw some research once (was it something someone here shared?) saying ranch houses with hipped roofs fared some X% better after hurricane Andrew than houses of a similar design and in the same areas but with regular gable roofs like in that picture. Makes sense to me: more aerodynamic. One of the buildings I used to work in was rated to withstand an f4 (or whatever the highest f number is) tornado, and that building was basically the shape of a low squat pyramid.

Should take those ratchet straps on the ends, move them out 45°, then cover with tarps all the way to the ground! Haha, or just consult a remodeling firm to swap in a hipped roof.

I was productive today. Built shelves to hold lumber stock and other stuff, sorted out all my stock and got most of it put away, built a corral for the rakes and got all the other tools and the strollers and extension cords hung up on the walls, made a cleat to get the ceiling extension cord taut and out of the way when not in use, and both cars are parking in the garage tonight!

Thanks to @shan2themax from both of us.
That is my absolute favorite song. I am a terrible Singer, however.... trust that when this song is played.... I'm singing it loud and proud. I have a wall poster with some of the lyrics on it. I will have to take a picture of it. I'd like to make a nice frame for it, instead of the poster frame it is in.
I did not use sea magic, I've heard great things about it. I did use fish fertilizer twice, and then I used another type that I got when I bought that greenstalk planter. I have soaker hoses strung around the garden (3 50ft houses) and I ran them for 30-40 minutes twice a week. It has rained alot here the past month, I believe that's what has caused the powdery mildew and blight. Not enough pruning happening between rains.
My san marzano tomatoes are laying on the ground (3), I have 2 of my 3 sweet 100 cherry tomatoes stripped of nearly all the leaves to lessen transmission while these fruits ripen. I have 7 tomato plants (beefsteak and not sure the others... they were gifted to me) they are really struggling and some are knocked over. The pole beans grew up over the trellis and through the top of my bird netting. The trellis is almost on the ground, so that's a mess. My cucumber plants (2) are on the ground in their tomato cage. Potatoes are fine, carrots and onions are fine. My banana peppers are tilted over and my sweet bell peppers seem to be ok. I havent fertilized in a couple of weeks. It's supposed to rain here all week (decent odds) so I need to try to fertilize somewhat because of all the rain.

My comfrey out front has grown TONS however, they are in plants and definitely need a good deal of nitrogen right now. So I need to do that in the morning as I am going to dry the comfrey and make comfrey salve with it.

My strawberries in my greenstalk are being eaten up by red wasps 😡🤬. They certainly are delicious however when you find a ripe non eaten one.
My sunflowers are loved by beings, hummingbirds, hummingbird moths and birds. I see them out there alot. I wanted to save some seeds for next year, however they are gobbling them all up. Lol

I'm hoping to work on some of that stuff tomorrow. I have a MD appt Tuesday, and my ex fil passed away 2 weeks ago. I bought his wife a rustic flag case and name plate to put his military flag in. I'm going to present it to her Tuesday.

The past 2 days have been pretty rough at the hospital. The highlight of today was talking to the maintenance man trying to figure out a leak at the nurses station in the ceiling. I tried to talk him into using flex seal 🤣🤣🤣🤣 it's been an intermittent but ongoing problem for 2 years. Turns out the ice maker on the unit above was the culprit...
I showed him my pics of the bathroom floor i replaced and my sewer line I dug up. He was teasing me and telling me I was more of a plumber than he was lol.

@Spicoli43 what did you mean by attaching to the fence?

Back