What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found the source of the suddenly louder exhaust noise from my 2004 Subaru with hardly 50k miles.
It's a broken flange on the cat conv., about $950 for a new conv. from NAPA.
My previous fix with sheet alum. & a hose clamp for an in-pipe hole is still holding, that was my first suspect.

One more peek for any worms in this can & then make a drawing with dims & then out to the store with my truck, out comes my checkbook, then long underwear, Liquid Glove, work light, jack stands & dumb looks from passersby, etc..

Been a while.

I'm going to have to find my flex seal tape later on. I found a possible replacement sink at Lowes for $169. It's not in stock at the nearest Lowes but there is one in Leesville. I don't feel like driving all the way there so I might order it for pickup at my local one or have it delivered. If it's delivered and has damage I can take it back to the store. If I pick it up they might complain that I should have inspected it for damage upon pickup.

My friend said he wants my old sink if I replace the current one. Sink is older than him and has seen better days.

I want to find a decent single-handle faucet that can be hooked up to a portable dishwasher but that also has a side sprayer (I don't like the pull-down faucets). I did get tempted by a faucet that has a pull down AND a pot filler but it was ugly as hell and the mfr doesn't honor warranties.

I received a GoodRx card in the mail today. Does anyone know if they work to save you money and if so how (what is the money trail)? I don't take meds at present but am trying to decide whether to keep the card or trash it. I can't make guitar picks out of it as it seems to have a card stock core.
I use GoodRX to get discounts on my medicine. Some it doesn't give very much, but others it gives a decent discount. You can go to the goodrx website and put in the name of medicine, dosage, and quantity of the medicine so it will tell you what the price of it is (with their discount) at various pharmacies. Although, in some cases having GoodRX can make medicine cost more. Like, if I got Metformin 500mg from walmart w/o GoodRX it would be $2.93 plus 6% sales tax, but because I have goodrx it's $11.11 plus 6% sales tax. The GoodRX code gets put on your account as if it's insurance. Even though it makes some cost more, it makes others cost quite a bit less. I may need to ask them to not apply "insurance" next time I pick up my metformin though. It's ridiculous that they charge more in that case.

I received a GoodRx card in the mail today. Does anyone know if they work to save you money and if so how (what is the money trail)?
Yeah, I'd like to know how those discount Rx cards work... I assume they work through some kind of Govt. connection/program... or maybe they just 're-arrange' drug prices... have a connection to drug makers?

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd like to know how those discount Rx cards work... I assume they work through some kind of Govt. connection/program... or maybe they just 're-arrange' drug prices... have a connection to drug makers?
Yeah, I can't understand how a free card can change prices on stock that's already in the store. There's gotta be a money trail.

It was a rainy day so I found an Amazon Prime free trial offer and binge watched Bosch Season 7. There's a few movies and series' that I want to watch within the free 30 day window.

I decided to patch my sink for now. Someone recommended JB weld so I found some at Walmart as well as some waterproof gorilla tape. I picked up a metal washer that had a very small hole. Thoroughly cleaned the bottom of the sink, roughed it up with a metal brush, did the same to the washer and wiped them both down with alcohol swabs. Stuck the washer to the noise dampening pad (which was still somewhat sticky), used the round cover from the duct tape as a surface for mixing the epoxy, used a toothpick to mix it, spread it on the washer, wiped the rest of it off on the underside of the sink and spread it out (was still able to see a little light coming through the hole) and stuck the pad and washer over the hole making sure the metal part covered the hole. Then I used waterproof gorilla tape to tape the pad tight to the bottom of the sink. Now I wait for it to cure.

Picked up some meat that came back in stock and cooked porkchops for myself for the first time. I've cooked steaks before but never porkchops. Mom wanted eggs & toast while I was cooking so my brother popped some bread in the air fryer on toast setting and I cooked the eggs on the other burner while cooking my pork chops. Buttered the toast, flipped the porkchop, then dumped the eggs on top of the toast, cleaned the pan & put it up, got my porkchops on the plate, and served the food. My brother did help me figure out when the porkchops were done and gave me advice on what heat settings and when to put the aji mirren on.

What brand of air fryer do you have and what do you use it most for?

I received a GoodRx card in the mail today. Does anyone know if they work to save you money and if so how (what is the money trail)? I don't take meds at present but am trying to decide whether to keep the card or trash it. I can't make guitar picks out of it as it seems to have a card stock core.

If you aren't on meds, why think about going on them?

If you aren't on meds, why think about going on them?
When I had eye surgery they put me on antibiotic and prednisone eye drops for a couple of weeks. I may have to have cataract surgery if my DIY NAC eye drops don't reverse or hold cataract development in abeyance.

When I had eye surgery they put me on antibiotic and prednisone eye drops for a couple of weeks. I may have to have cataract surgery if my DIY NAC eye drops don't reverse or hold cataract development in abeyance.

Well, there's a lot of research saying it might work.

What brand of air fryer do you have and what do you use it most for?
I know you weren't asking me, but we bought a Black & Decker one a couple weeks ago. Really it's a toaster oven with a convection setting. It gets used mainly on the "toast" setting, for making toast, cheesy toast, and frozen waffles. I've also used it on the "bake' setting to heat up frozen burritos, which I don't eat often but they come in handy sometimes. We tried the "air fryer" setting once and the fan made a loud buzzing noise that alarmed my wife enough for her to request that I immediately change it to a normal bake or toast setting, which I did because the buzzing noise was annoying me too, and I'm not 100% sure it was actually supposed to make that noise.

We tried the "air fryer" setting once and the fan made a loud buzzing noise that alarmed my wife enough for her to request that I immediately change it to a normal bake or toast setting, which I did because the buzzing noise was annoying me too, and I'm not 100% sure it was actually supposed to make that noise.
I'm 99% sure it shouldn't. :)

Since your unit is new this is considered a factory defect & not end of life wearout.

Shaded Pole fan motors have tape over the motor windings & if the end of this tape gets loose the fan blades hit it.

If you tip over the thing & the noise stops this is likely the cause.

I will put up with a half hour of runaround from the vendor B4 I open the thing myself, thus voiding the [probably useless] warranty. :)

Last edited:
I watched this 2020 video on climate change. Jordan Peterson predicts that the result of any action now will be immeasurable ten years down the road.

Why are people so afraid of what comes out of Greta's mouth? I fear for her safety.

And Mr. P seems more qualified to be a cult leader than a scientist or a fortune teller. & he may not be aware of his shortcomings in this regard.

In any case, I don't decide Public Policy & I wouldn't want the job if offered.

Here's some reading material:
unSpun: Finding Facts in a World of Disinformation

but most of us cannot stand the truth, see
"The Veiled Statue At Sais"

Last edited:
I have no fear of Greta she is no more a scientist than is Jordan. I would love to hear them in a real debate.

No idea on the brand of the air fryer. I'll have to look at it later. My brother uses it.
I'm on my phone right now bc laptop is at friends house downloading updates and the video card in pc flaked out. Took it apart and cleaned it yesterday. Tested it at friends house and it worked. Got home and same issue happened in about an hour. Took it back over, took it apart and deep cleaned the entire thing. It's currently trying to clone the main drive but not sure if video card crapped out again or not. I HATE using my phone to type.
20211212_001906.jpg

I liked this quote, chosen as the book's motto;

“You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.”

― Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Back