What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got an idea for using my camera tripod as a small table I need something to uses as a rest for zeroing the scope on my new pellet rifle. My thought is to drill a piece of scrap wood or MDF for a T-nut to mount on my tripod. I'll put a buckwheat hull pillow on it to rest my arm on to keep it steady. Maybe I'll add a cupholder and get even more use out of it.

I got an idea for using my camera tripod as a small table I need something to uses as a rest for zeroing the scope on my new pellet rifle. My thought is to drill a piece of scrap wood or MDF for a T-nut to mount on my tripod. I'll put a buckwheat hull pillow on it to rest my arm on to keep it steady. Maybe I'll add a cupholder and get even more use out of it.
Cool idea, but beware: those consumer tripods are often a bit flimsy unless you keep the legs telescoped as short as they'll go, which is usually about 18 inches or less.

I have an RO system and have a well. Drinking straight RO water isn't too good for you. My system includes a re-mineralization stage to add a desirable minerals back at suiible levels. Helps the taste too. I haven't had any issues. My system also has a little pump to help refill a little faster. RO does waste a lot of water but I git sick of buying water all the time.

BTW the PET plastics are the clear plastics like the small water bottles use. The translucent gallon jugs, like a milk jug, are polyethylene and I don't believe present the same problem.

Yeah, I add Himalayan Pink Salt. I don't think Milk bottles leach, but they aren't heated that I know of. A water (or Soda) bottle is always in heat be it the warehouse or delivery semi, truck or someone's trunk. The only places they are cool is in a Grocery store fridge or a home fridge, and by then it's too late.

Politics is so boring. It's pro sports without the athletic skill.

My family has been trying to adopt a greyhound and I'm learning this is far more difficult than I thought it would be. If you're in Ohio and know a greyhound that needs adopting please let me know.

Politics messes with every part of our lives, and now it's to an extreme. It's a bunch of Kindergarteners on steroids. Everything I said is true, though.

For a Greyhound, you would probably have to travel. There's a Catahoula Leopard in OH, and lots in surrounding states. They are the result of breeding with Greyhounds, and are just as fast. I had one, but she was too rambunctious, she needed to be outside all the time. they FLY.

https://catahoula.rescueme.org/

Now I have joined the soulless droning masses who have already mowed their lawns in 2022.

Politics is so boring.
Haven't mowed my lawn yet... like to keep it longish and healthyish... had left it longish over the winter...

I guess politics would be boring if don't mind paying 3 - 4 times as much for things as a year and a half ago...

Cool idea, but beware: those consumer tripods are often a bit flimsy unless you keep the legs telescoped as short as they'll go, which is usually about 18 inches or less.
Luckily my tripod is a good (old school) one a SafeLock Zoom-Leg. I don't know if they still make them.

1650727612741.png

I switched to bottled water after the city tap water came within hours of killing me... I didn't know until reading in the newspaper that the tap water was what was causing me to have enlarged liver and ever increasing liver pain over the years. I used to make fun of people who bought bottled water at $1 a small bottle when tap water was so cheap. The last day I drank tap water I had such severe liver pain I thought I would die and also had diarrhea 12 times that day!
https://www.circleofblue.org/2014/world/toledo-issues-emergency-warning-residents-drink-water

@Spicoli43 We're not set on a greyhound because of the speed, though being able to jog with the dog was on my wife's checklist for breeds. We're getting a greyhound primarily for three reasons: 1) their calm demeanor, 2) their short single coat (meaning they are both "hypoallergenic" and easy to groom), and 3) their low incidence of health problems like hip displacia etc. that would require expensive surgeries. Also they are dog-sized rather than rat-sized, which I like.

I switched to bottled water after the city tap water came within hours of killing me... I didn't know until reading in the newspaper that the tap water was what was causing me to have enlarged liver and ever increasing liver pain over the years. I used to make fun of people who bought bottled water at $1 a small bottle when tap water was so cheap. The last day I drank tap water I had such severe liver pain I thought I would die and also had diarrhea 12 times that day!
https://www.circleofblue.org/2014/world/toledo-issues-emergency-warning-residents-drink-water

That's insane... Like Flint... YOU PAY THEM to provide you clean filtered water. I'm not going to deep dive into it, but it screams of rampant corruption. Was there a nice massive class action lawsuit because of it?

@Spicoli43 We're not set on a greyhound because of the speed, though being able to jog with the dog was on my wife's checklist for breeds. We're getting a greyhound primarily for three reasons: 1) their calm demeanor, 2) their short single coat (meaning they are both "hypoallergenic" and easy to groom), and 3) their low incidence of health problems like hip displacia etc. that would require expensive surgeries. Also they are dog-sized rather than rat-sized, which I like.

I have never heard of a Greyhound just jogging before. I have never seen them do anything besides run in a field though. My Catahoula Leopard would have been a jogger. She wasn't calm though, she was certified insane. I can't speak to full Greyhounds there.

As far as Hip Dysplasia, the Vet told me that I would need an MRI for my Newfoundland and at least one surgery when he was pulling up lame. (1 year old). I took him to a Holistic vet that said "nonsense", gave me a bottle of DGP (Dog Gone Pain) and sent me home. When needed, I gave it to him and he lived 12 years without surgery, no complaining.

Vets Best makes a different version for aches and pains which I haven't tried. I also haven't tried DMSO, but I would try anything before surgery, which probably wouldn't work anyway.

I wouldn't be avoiding a breed known for hip problems because it's just like anything else. A Greyhound could break it's leg since it's a Racer. My Golden is 12 years old and doesn't groan when lying down, never gave him supplements.

@Eddie_T: Yes, I've got accounts, saved searches, alerts, the whole nine yards. As well as going directly to the local greyhound adoption places and filling out applications.

@Spicoli43: Greyhounds jog, it just isn't sufficient for them. You have to take them to a fenced-in dog park (or your large fenced-in back yard if you've got one) and let them run all-out a few times a week or more. But the nice thing about greyhounds is they are content to lay around on the couch the rest of the day.

@Spicoli43: Greyhounds jog, it just isn't sufficient for them. You have to take them to a fenced-in dog park (or your large fenced-in back yard if you've got one) and let them run all-out a few times a week or more. But the nice thing about greyhounds is they are content to lay around on the couch the rest of the day.

Yeah, that was the time I saw the Greyhounds, behind a school after Football practice. It was 4 Soccer fields long, and they flew down it and flew back. I think it must have been 30 minutes worth, I stuck around just to watch them.

My fenced acre wasn't enough for my Catahoula, found her a ranch with 20 plus acres.

That's insane... Like Flint... YOU PAY THEM to provide you clean filtered water. I'm not going to deep dive into it, but it screams of rampant corruption. Was there a nice massive class action lawsuit because of it?
I was on Toledo water for the better part of my life including during that episode. I never had any issues and I drank water that day before I heard the news. The algae problem on the lake has existed for years but has worsened in the last 10 or so. The lake is actually a lot better than it was in the 60s. When I was a kid the water on the shore of Maumee Bay was all nasty and foamy, smelled bad too.

So no flint type deal. Toledo's treatment system was basically overwhelmed by the amount of algae toxins in the water. They have since of course upgraded the system. Most people would have no problem the water that day, some would or did have I'll effects, and some will or did have severe effects. I don't recall any deaths being attributed to it.

I was on Toledo water for the better part of my life including during that episode. I never had any issues and I drank water that day before I heard the news. The algae problem on the lake has existed for years but has worsened in the last 10 or so. The lake is actually a lot better than it was in the 60s. When I was a kid the water on the shore of Maumee Bay was all nasty and foamy, smelled bad too.

So no flint type deal. Toledo's treatment system was basically overwhelmed by the amount of algae toxins in the water. They have since of course upgraded the system. Most people would have no problem the water that day, some would or did have I'll effects, and some will or did have severe effects. I don't recall any deaths being attributed to it.

Well, without knowing the details, I assume most of the problems are because of dumping. As a kid, there was frequent Red Tide warnings on the beaches of Puget Sound for probably the same reason.

As far as deaths, they wouldn't say it was due to the algae, they would say it was due to anything else that built up over time.

The cost of the plastic bottles that contain the water has gone up. That's why the price increased. Plus companies are price-gouging like crazy.

I've got two redbone coonhounds if you want some sort of hounds. :p
They love sleeping on beds, cuddling, and being cute. They like to chew some stuff though. I need to get them more chew toys.

I'm currently trying to decide which sort of pole clamps to get for my satellite setup since I've decided to mount another shorter pole over the eaves and bind the existing pole to it for more support.

Th
Well, without knowing the details, I assume most of the problems are because of dumping. As a kid, there was frequent Red Tide warnings on the beaches of Puget Sound for probably the same reason.

As far as deaths, they wouldn't say it was due to the algae, they would say it was due to anything else that built up over time.
The cause is too many nutrients running into the lake. The source is the debate. Toxic algea is pretty bad, kills lots of stuff. I know one thing I hated about Toledo water was in the fall, when the lake cooled and turned over the city would have to change and increase the treatment a d the water would smell sort of funky. It lasted a few weeks usually.

Yesterday I had 30 minutes to kill so I decided to saw down a large dead branch off one of my trees. It must have been 18" in diameter, so to do it I used my 5' two-man saw for the first time (obviously with just one man). It's an antique but it did the job well! Quite a workout though.

Now they are saying PFAS in food wrappers and sludge fertilizer. Not to worry according to TND News the government is studying and the report should be available in two years.

The Guardian reports;
Revealed: the dangerous chemicals in your food wrappers

That doesn't surprise me a bit and reminds me of all those nonstick pans that claim they are PFAS / PFOE free. Well, they have to use some kind of chemical combo to be nonstick, there's no way around that.

Back