What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Flyover, My lawn is in full bloom, the ajuga bloom is blue plus some white. I am avoiding mowing hoping the seeds will be viable and help it spread. Later some small leaf hostas that are spreading well will raise their lavender blooms. All this free whereas grass didn't do so well. I do have some dwarf mondo grass that is hardy I am not sure what to do with it. It's a dark green and makes a very dense low carpet but doesn't spread as fast as hosta and ajuga.

0428221154.jpg

Last edited:
My lawn has a bunch of stinging nettles spawning so I will have to kill them but I don't mind having flowers around. I'm waiting for my 4 o'clocks to grow back in. I let them get out of hand but they smell nice and I like them. I found that there is a huge patch of blackberries growing down in the barnyard where the pond used to be so I don't feel bad about killing blackberries near the house.

I'm feeling exhausted today and resting. Pharmacy switched me to another generic thyroid med again and it isn't as effective as the last one was. So I have less energy.

If I wasn't driving when I wanted the pictures I would have taken some of the side of the road on the way into own. Lots of different colored flowers. Someone in town has wisteria plants.

I just let the puppies out and am trying to wake up. I will probably do some cleaning today when I can get myself moving.

I went out and tossed some balls around for the puppies and petted the cow before some light cleaning inside.

Ate pork chops with hoisin sauce and am back inside making phone calls bc Fedex claims they delivered a package (while I was outside playing with the pups) and left it at the front door but they must have taken it to the wrong address. I called and gave a description and said I looked all around and it wasn't anywhere to be found and plus I was outside when they allegedly delivered. I don't think they even came down my road.

Had a Pitbull wandering around my yard today, the neighbor called her friend at the Vet on the Pit's tag and the Vet had the owner call my neighbor. Turns out the owner lives a couple of miles away, 3 roads down.

The owner's daughter was playing at her best friend's house today, which is on my road. The thing is, the Dog has never been to my road on a walk or in the car according to the owner.

Could be a coincidence of course, but it makes me think of something I was told when I was a little kid... If you have a lost dog, tie the shirt you are wearing to a car antenna or something like that so they can pick up your scent and find their way back home.

The whole time she was here, she was sniffing the air, I assume looking for the little kid. (The Dog, not her owner).

I was at a friend's house for supper and we toured his property on his golf cart. We stopped at his daughter's house to see her she shed and plantings. I noticed some sprouts of what I thought was 'thorny locust". I asked her what t was. She said I'll find out, took a picture with her smartphone and said 'devil's walking stick' just that fast. Seems that it has medicinal properties but I am going to wipe it out if possible. It can grow as high as 50 ft and spread by suckers from roots to form an impenetrable hedge.

iu
iu

Last edited:
Spicoli, I kinda wish the pups would go 3 miles away and stay. I had to argue with Jelly today bc he got on my bed and was trying to chew medicine bottles. I pushed him off, erected a barricade of blankets. He barked and tried to climb up. I barked at him, he backed down. Then he sat on the floor and barked and howled to protest. I barked back. He whimpered and whined but then left the room.

Eddie, that reminds me of a pervasive tree we have growing in our yard. Cut it down 10x already but if the roots remain it grows back.

I've been absolutely exhausted these past 2 days. Fedex finally delivered (I heard the truck later on) but she tossed the package on to the porch so it rolled under something and was hard to find. Still stuck to her story that she delivered earlier though.

Practiced trumpet scales and couple of melodies. I decided to keep my chops up as I never know when someone might want Taps sounded for a loved one. I am no longer in the Honor Guard but a number of friends might request me.

I am currently trying to learn Unchained Melody and Matt Redman's 10,000 Reasons.

Eddie, that is cool! I never learned any musical instruments. My mom got a violin for my sister and clarinet for my brother but never even offered any instruments for me. But then, I was in choir while my brother was in band. And my sister asked for a violin at a young age. My brother didn't want to play clarinet but my Mom played clarinet as a child and that was the only instrument she would let him get- despite the fact that he had asthma. Apparently she didn't want to play clarinet either but her parents made her & she decided to follow in their footsteps.

I was going to do yardwork but I stepped outside and it felt like a sauna. Then it rained. Had to put the puppies to bed early. I was also going to cook but power kept going out. So, I slept and played ESO.

Eddie, that is cool!

But then, I was in choir while my brother was in band.

Yes, that is cool of Eddie...

My Mom got us all in band because she had been in band and we were poor and so she knew that was going to be the only way we kids got to go to high school football games, especially away games, and some other summer activities like festivals and fairs in nearby towns... Cherry Blossom Festival, etc...

Played Gershwin's Summertime it's a good number for trumpet practice.

Skinned the bark and thorns off a 5+ ft "devil's walking stick" to see if it might actually be useful as a walking stick. It's very straight and fairly light weight. It might not be strong enough to use in my ravines but may work for my friend to keep balance on his gentler inclines.

Used Barkeepers Friend cleanser to scrub the embedded steel off my ceramic knife sharpener. It was getting too slick to do the job. I pulled a rubber band back and forth through the small one to clean it.

Last edited:
I watched an episode of Midsomer Murders then took the puppies to the vet to get examined & rabies/parvo. Vet said they look to be about 7 months old. Male weights 34lbs & female is 33lbs. The male puked on the female in the truck. I need to update their rescue me profile and get good pics of them outside-- but its about to rain again.

My friend said it sounded like I had a bad wheelbearing bc there was squealing from the back tire. Took it in and they said it was a brake caliper. I just had new brakes put on a few months ago. They were ordering a new one. I told one of the guys that I put the parking brake on but he must not have heard me. Kid who was trying to back it up out of the shop area said something was wrong. I said "Did you release the parking brake?" and showed him where the lever was. Then we noticed there was no squealing and it turns out just cleaning the brake caliper out worked and they canceled the order for the new one.

but it's hot as hell and I'm ready for a nap again. This weather always makes me tired.

I've been meaning to go around the basement and patch up my exposed ducts with foil tape, but it keeps getting pushed down the "project list". I thought this was the kind of thing I'd do in idle moments, the way I might pick at dried glue. But now I realize that's bogus, this is only the kind of thing that will happen if I put it on the "do today" list and actually do it until it's done. So now I just have to pick a day...

Just thinking · · · why would anyone watch 'so called' reality TV? I thought people watched TV to escape reality.

Reality TV is a misnomer; these are shows that are carefully cast, scripted, and edited to tell a story. Actually, everything you'd ever see on TV is like that, even "documentaries". Reality TV is distinguished from dramas and sitcoms only by its visual language.

"The Office" was a pseudo-reality show, and the only real difference between it and an actual reality show like "Cops" or something is that the fact that the characters onscreen being played by professional actors was not concealed in the show's credits and marketing.

Last edited:
A lot of TV appears to be geared toward shut ins and bedridden people desperate for some 'variety'/company...

Hollywood loves sitcoms as they are CHEAP to make... a camera, script, room, a few cheap new actors, a little furniture and you have it... or survival shows outdoors where you don't even need a room...

Reality shows took off during the writers strike in (I think?) the early 2000s. When the director and producers are just yelling prompts or feeding lines to the people in front of the camera and then patching it all together in post, you save a lot of money on writers. So yeah, money of course has a lot to do with it. It's not always true but reality shows tend to be the cheapest, and the floor for how cheap you can get with a viable reality show is always going to be lower than with a viable sitcom.

A lot of TV appears to be geared toward shut ins and bedridden people desperate for some 'variety'/company...

Hollywood loves sitcoms as they are CHEAP to make... a camera, script, room, a few cheap new actors, a little furniture and you have it... or survival shows outdoors where you don't even need a room...

Well, probably cheap for no name actors, but at it's peak, I know the main cast of Big Bang Theory were making a cool Million each per episode. Something close to that. The spinoff to that, Young Sheldon, is almost all new actors to me, but it will be around for a long time because it's hilarious.

As far as "Reality TV", I will never watch any of that garbage. I don't know the plots or anything like that because I always mute the commercials, but they don't make any sense, especially the dating ones. Why would ANYBODY watch people on dates? I mean, NOTHING better to do?

Reality shows took off during the writers strike in (I think?) the early 2000s. When the director and producers are just yelling prompts or feeding lines to the people in front of the camera and then patching it all together in post, you save a lot of money on writers. So yeah, money of course has a lot to do with it. It's not always true but reality shows tend to be the cheapest, and the floor for how cheap you can get with a viable reality show is always going to be lower than with a viable sitcom.

The first one I'm pretty sure was when MTV stopped playing videos and had a show where a bunch of people lived together. Don't remember the name or care, but I know I haven't watched MTV since then for that reason.

Latest posts

Back