What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed the expensive special hedge plants that have leaves year around on one side of my house have nearly all died out... they're difficult to get more to grow from... the seeds don't seem to work... about 1% of cuttings will root and start growing... the cuttings on the other side I did years ago seem to be doing very well now... they seem to like some shade but not too much shade like ones on first side are getting now...

Just read an article noting that for the second year in a row Biden had failed any mention of D-Day. We as a country owe such a debt to all those who participated.
This administration is disgusting!

Yeah, all that is true. I don't get how anybody could fall for any of that, but the biggest case is the "Cures" for anything and "Race for the Cure" and Pinkwashing everything. It's fine to give to something one believes in, but those people NEVER think about it.

The only reason there is Covid vaccines is because they can reinvent them several times a year, and people will STILL get jabbed because they don't THINK... They couldn't do that with HIV / AIDS, so no vaccine, and they still use that as a cash cow.

If blank disease is cured magically (on accident), then that entire segment of that Pharma company goes POOF, and the subsequent earnings reports are down, shorts jump on the stock and pulverize it into the ground. Institutional investors like Blackrock jump ship, and normal retail people like me ditch, and that's that.

NO pharma company would be safe from that downfall, so they make sure never to actually help anybody. Until there's no such thing as money and greed, there will be no cures from them. WE don't need them, though.

Eddie, that sign is humorous and contains kernels of truth, but it is not the truth. Reality is never as cut and dry as what people write on signs/t-shirts/bumper stickers/etc., but accurate statements about reality don't go viral on the internet because they are nuanced and unexciting and they usually don't clearly indicate a group of people you can blame your problems on or feel superior to.

Today I helped some delivery guys wrangle our new sectional to the living room. They did a lot better than my wife and I did getting the old couch and love seat out yesterday. Just did 50 chin-ups in 5 minutes. Later I will hang up some wall items my wife wanted.

Yeah like the big black carbon footprint though CO₂ still hasn't been proven to be the enemy and the black footprint on posters is disingenuous as CO₂ is colorless.

1654704726093.png

As of noon today, our four little baby robins are gone. This morning one was standing on the edge of the nest and flexing its wings a bit, so I guess I should have seen this coming. Still, it felt surprising!

CO2 just exemplifies how what the Leftists say is just a test to see how many people regurgitate their drivel. If they truly believed it, nah, scratch that... They would still fly Private Air everywhere and drive 6 MPG Escalades. They wouldn't, however, build mansions on the beach like Obama and Gates.

The funniest thing is them ditching "Global Warming" for "Climate Change". While Yes, the Earth has warmed since the last Ice Age more than 11,000 years ago, did it stop to the point they had to change the term? Considering the very first events in the very first book of the Bible happened only about 5100 years ago, they undoubtedly had the exact same climate we do now.

But... But... The Bartender AOC says the world will end 9 years from now!!!

Here's your sign.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/carbon-dioxide-fertilization-greening-earth

Cultured some buttermilk. Even though living alone I still purchase milk in the gallon jug. By shaking the jug daily plus turning some into buttermilk I avoid spoilage and keep my buttermilk cost the same as whole milk.

Today I did my shoulder workout, but I did it as a circuit, and except for bendover flyes did everything standing on a balance board. It was fun. Followed that with jumping rope and a 2-minute plank.

I've been exhausted as usual. Did some cleaning, wrangled puppies, broke up cat fights, took mom to doctor's appointments. He told her to cut back on carbs/sugars. She's been eating these chocolate ice cream drumsticks. She tried to blame me for her eating them by saying that I buy them. I said I buy them because she tells me to. Doctor said no more so she was mad at me (but she got over it already). She'd been eating a lot of them. 1 to 3 per day. Her A1C was 8.8 and it had been down to 7.1. Her current blood sugar meter doesn't want to work so I mentioned that to him--it only worked once & she had to call their tech support to get it to work that one time. Rest of the time it won't cooperate so I asked about the constant monitors. He scheduled her with the diabetic expert at the office who can show her how to use the Freestyle Libre.

I'm trying to wean myself off of carbs. Made sure not to buy more donuts and stuff. I'm eating more meat and fruit but I need to work in more veggies.

My windows from Lowes finally came in. They waited a few days to e-mail me about it though. Supposedly arrived on the 7th but they didn't e-mail me about it until today.

I spent a long time in line at the pharmacist yesterday. I was next in line but some old guy was having a fit & carrying on insisting that the doctor prescribed Ivermectin for him & that they needed to give it to him asap bc he lived 100 miles away. They had not received the prescription from the doctor & said it would have to be approved by his insurance & he wouldn't stop arguing. Only one window was open because the keyboard for the other window ran out of battery & they were trying to fix it. As soon as it was fixed I went to walk up and some woman who had just walked in rushed over to the window and cut in front of me. She then had the pharmacist go to the shelves and bring out some Valtrex & explain its not a prescription. She had him take it out of the box and discuss it with her (she should have gone to the consultation window instead) but she was buying batteries and wanted to check out there. Some people are just rude. That took several minutes and then the old man (who was arguing for at least 20min) finally left in a huff & I was able to get my RX. The poor dude in the Superman shirt behind me was looking annoyed and then they called someone who had been sitting and waiting since before we got there to come up next (after me) and he looked even more frustrated. Can't say I blame him.

Friend tried to see if we could move the pole to the tower but the cord isn't long enough. I've ordered the 150ft cord instead. My brother keeps trying to change the plans even though he knows absolutely nothing about the stuff and we already have the hardware to mount it the way we've planned-- but he doesn't care bc its not his $.

Eddie, I didn't know you could turn milk to buttermilk that way.

zannej, my MIL found the recipe on a box of powdered milk and used to make buttermilk that way. Make a half-gallon of milk and add 1C of buttermilk and leave it on the counter until it made (shaking and the burping the jug occasionally to expel CO₂). I started using fresh milk because powdered milk was more expensive. When the milk jug was nearing expiry I would add a cup of BM from the previous batch to keep the process going. In those days BM and fresh milk were priced the same then BM became more expensive so it became a means to save spoilage and have cheaper BM. IOW a win-win situation as I love buttermilk plus it's useful in baking.

Today was full of doing. Worked out. Prepared and grilled four different things for different meals. Dug a pond the size of a Jacuzzi bathtub, using a hand shovel. Then split a bunch of large logs with my ax. Exhausted now.

I somehow managed to get my foot tangled up in the power cord to the charging base for my landline phone's handset. I was having a dream about fighting something and getting my foot stuck. Woke up and realized my phone wasn't charging (light usually comes on and it makes a beep when removed or placed on the base). I found the wire was still under my ankle/foot and that it had been torn out of the plug. Had to order a new charging base and it costs almost as much as the handset. Ended up getting one with a handset because the only charging bases I could find under $40 were used & I didn't trust the sellers.

Flyover, I'm exhausted just reading about all that work. LOL.

The crappy thing is that at the end of the day our dishwasher stopped working. Kept throwing the same error code. I was up past midnight trying to troubleshoot it. Today I've contacted support and we'll hopefully have a repairman out by Thursday, but I'm going to call Monday and if the anticipated cost of the repair is in the same ballpark as a new dishwasher, and I can get a new dishwasher at the same time or sooner, I'm going to do that instead because I hate that stupid Samsung POS. Until then it's a lot of handwashing dishes for a family of 5...

Oh, and I didn't get to sleep in my bed for even half the night because the middle kid tried to sneak into bed with us and then when I got up to put him back in his own bed, his bed immediately broke. (It was on the fritz before, and this time it just gave out.) So he scampered back off to my bed and I just headed for the couch. Sleeping on the couch hurts my back anyway, but now this was after all that digging.

I did not wake up happy.

The good news is I have "If Heaven Ain't a Lot Like Dixie" stuck in my head, and I like that song.

Flyover, I would get the 5 year extended warranty if I were you on ANY new appliances. My Samsung Double Oven didn't work correctly from the start and I needed to have a service call after the incredibly long 1 year warranty that came with it. That service call would have been about the same price as the 5 year extended that I bought.

Eventually the oven completely gave out in year 4 and they didn't even have an interest in fixing it, so they sent me a check for my entire purchase price. I have heard people in the past as recently as this year say they would never get an extended warranty. That's wrong though, there simply isn't any other choice.

5 Year warranties for Dishwashers, at least here, are $115 at Home Depot and $129 at Lowe's.

Thanks for the advice spicoli. In that case I'd have to factor that in when comparing with the service cost.

I wanted biscuits and strawberry preserves this morning. I was mixing the SR flour and cream for biscuits and thought why not just one large biscuit. As I was pressing it out on the silicone sheet I thought this is a baking sheet. So I baked the 5" dia biscuit on the silicone with a metal baking sheet under it. So with little muss I had bread for breakfast with enough left to reheat and have with beef stew for supper (accompanied with a glass of fresh buttermilk).

Back