What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was 6 years old I wanted a Lamborghini Countache. The black one with the big sail, which I still find breathtaking. (What 6 year old boy doesn't want one?) When I was 16 years old I wanted a DeLorean...
I still think those cars would be fun to rent for a day and a week, respectively.
If you want the mid engine driving experience for cheap/free, rent or test drive a Fiero...

Those muscle cars like the Charger look like jobs to me too. Either a job to maintain, or a second job you have to work to pay for the gas.

A Confederate flag just to piss people off...Yeah, I figure that must be why anyone has them north of the Mason Dixon. Even south of it, since the south lost the friggin war... But trying your best to make enemies everywhere you go seems like a really unnecessary way to take years off your life, either through violence or stress. Plus you might make friends you don't want, too!
Hello... Joke... I don't really think anybody is offended by the Flag. There's far more wokesters that are offended by the American Flag than anything. For the people that would be offended by the Confederate flag, they probably grew up watching Dukes of Hazzard and have no idea what the flag means because it doesn't really mean anything these days.

It's like people that don't do any research. They would see a Nazi flag and appropriate it with what it is. But what about the Swastika without the White and Red background? Would they know it as an ancient symbol that goes back 5000 plus years?

NO...

If someone is a meat eater, but they take a break for a while and eat VEGAN, when they open their freezer and the Chicken Sausage and Beef start talking to them, is that a side effect or are they considered "certifiable"??

Asking for a neighbor...

NOT VEGAN.JPG

It's like people that don't do any research. They would see a Nazi flag and appropriate it with what it is. But what about the Swastika without the White and Red background? Would they know it as an ancient symbol that goes back 5000 plus years?
Would people know that Catholic Religious Terrorist Hitler adopted the swastika because it was molded into the front wall of the Catholic elementary school he attended?

@Spicoli43 @BuzzLOL
You're saying people are only offended at the bars'n'stars/swastika because they don't understand the history of these symbols?

That doesn't seem accurate. I think people are offended by them firstly because these days anyone using these symbols in public is communicating "F*** you" with a side order of "I condone violence against innocent people" (regardless whether that is the intended message), and secondly because the symbols themselves are now most closely associated with violent atrocities.

Those reasons seem to hold regardless whether the person who got offended understands the entire history of those symbols or not.

On the other hand, I think if you had a Charger with the Confederate flag printed on the roof (somehow I didn't realize this is what you meant before; I'd thought you meant on the front badge area or something), most people would associate it with "Dukes of Hazzard" and would think maybe you're a little weird for being a grown man who's so into a TV show, but they wouldn't be offended by the flag per se.

I've never met anyone in real life who's offended by the American flag. I think that's probably mainly a "small number of teenage activists running their mouths on the internet" thing. Certainly there are enough American flags pasted all over every building, manufactured object etc., and flying off the backs of trucks, that if anyone's actually offended by it one more flag probably isn't going to make a difference to them. (I look over at my guitar case which has a huge American flag printed on it...)

No, they are offended by the Confederate Flag and the Swastika because they are Psychologically conditioned to be offended. In the case of the Confederate Flag, people think it has to do with racism when that was just a small fragment of the people. They wanted their own Country, which I will never complain about because the current "leaders" want to burn down the USA.

As far as the Swastika, it was hijacked by the Nazi's... I see past that, but if I displayed it, I wouldn't display the Nazi version of course. The Islamic faith was hijacked by Al-Qaeda and ISIS etc, but I don't blame ordinary Iraqi's or Iranians or Egyptians etc.

People that are offended by the American Flag are all over the place. Have you missed the last 6 Years of Professional Sports? Unless you're literally under a rock, you know about it. You don't have to watch it to know about it.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=school+boards+vote+against+the+star+spangled+banner&t=brave&ia=web
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=mayors+ban+american+flag&t=brave&ia=web
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=HOA+bans+American+Flag&t=brave&ia=web

I think you're right that "being offended" is a conditioned response. I guess I was conflating people who have that response with people who have a genuine fight-or-flight reaction to something they interpret as a "warning of increased risk of violence aimed at me or my loved ones". Both responses exist for sure though.

A dispassionate study of the history of those symbols will definitely show that they mostly stood for benign things, you're right about that, but their association with violent atrocities inevitably becomes what's most salient to most people (including the people displaying those symbols, who do it to piss off others). Like I said, you might intend to communicate one thing, but what  gets communicated depends on more than just your intent, because cultural salience plays into it.

As for being offended by the U.S. flag, I know people have boycotted it for activist reasons but that doesn't read to me like the flag itself offending them the way the confederate flag would. More like it's a consciously chosen symbol of protest. It's not like if they walked down the street and saw an American flag waving outside someone's house they'd feel threatened; instead they'd come up with some intellectual reason why they don't think the flag should fly (at least until some number of their political goals was met). So yeah, there's a difference between activism and cultural zeitgeist.

Well, the "warning of increased risk of violence" is conditioned in people as well. The Leftists make it known that the Gadsden Flag and the Betsy Ross Flag are associated with Far Right crazy people that want to overtake the Government. They (The Far Left FBI) do that because they know that enough people on the Left won't question such an idiotic statement.

They do that, despite the fact that both Flags have been around as long as the USA, and the Betsy Ross is part of the swearing in of even Far Left Presidents like Obama...

They protest against the USA Flag and the Star Spangled Banner because they attribute it to racism, when in fact there hasn't been a whole lot of racism in this country since the Civil War, sure there are pockets of racism in the deep South still and in Northern Idaho of all places, but it's not a crisis. It isn't widespread like the Leftist media and politicians keep saying it is. I have never even met a racist person.

They say all this stuff because the asphalt you walk on is smarter than them. Every single thing they say backfires on them because people on my side know it's BS, and even people on the Left are waking up to it...

https://americanmilitarynews.com/20...g-2nd-amendment-gadsden-flag-and-more-report/

I think those that oppose either flag are extremists trying to have their way. Also consider the PC movement to remove monuments and changing names of buildings, military bases and highways. They are trying to get in the face of normal people just as did flag burners and "take-a-knee" Kaepernick. What profit is there in rewriting history? I haven't been to Benin but I understand it uses its sordid history as a slave port to attract tourists as does Auschwitz.

George Washington was a slave owner do we change the name of Washington, DC and remove the monument? Where does the insanity end?

Last edited:
Well, the "warning of increased risk of violence" is conditioned in people as well.
That's also true, and a fair point, though the conditioning isn't all from left wing activist lying. Plenty of it comes from actual violence that happens to people, not all of which you see in the national news. Unfortunately I have met violent racists, and not in the south. Probably they are everywhere because many people become this way in prison, and prisons are all over. (Thanks, Biden!)

And yeah I think protests are dumb in general; if I have strong opinions on something I'll either just talk about them in a friendly way or keep them to myself but you'll never catch me marching around in the street or making grand gestures on tv. But the people who do that stuff aren't equivalent to people whose hair involuntarily stands on end when they see the stars'n'bars.

I just had cereal to chase my supplements and noted a "best by" date of July 24 as I rinsed the milk jug. I shake the jug with every use and I don't think this is a new record. I do always taste the milk before adding cereal.

I think the stars and bars are the prettiest flag I have seen. It was the battle flag and much prettier than the Confederate national flag (which looked too much like a surrender flag to carry into battle).

That's also true, and a fair point, though the conditioning isn't all from left wing activist lying. Plenty of it comes from actual violence that happens to people, not all of which you see in the national news. Unfortunately I have met violent racists, and not in the south. Probably they are everywhere because many people become this way in prison, and prisons are all over. (Thanks, Biden!)

And yeah I think protests are dumb in general; if I have strong opinions on something I'll either just talk about them in a friendly way or keep them to myself but you'll never catch me marching around in the street or making grand gestures on tv. But the people who do that stuff aren't equivalent to people whose hair involuntarily stands on end when they see the stars'n'bars.
Well, I'm sure I met Black people that hated me, whether they were racists or not. Lots of Native Americans hate Whites etc.... I meant I haven't ever met a White Supremacist and I know that for a fact because I guarantee they wouldn't shut up about it. Then again, I have lived in the North almost exclusively, and there are enough Non-Whites that would kick their Democrat mascot if they saw egregious displays of hate.

I don't like the word hate, but I hate avowed racists like Al Sharpton and Oprah. They are wicked racists.

Protesting is American, but I share your views on it. I don't understand it because the leaders of the World won't start being good people because of it.

< "@Spicoli43 @BuzzLOL" >
Somehow you've gotten it totally wrong conflating me with Spicoli!

As I said above:
"I conflate Confederates with NAZIs/Hitlerites... both killed Americans for evil purposes..."
Half the population of the USA should know that fact... the other half isn't smart enough to know... or slept through history classes... or relates more to the "evil" aspects... and/or is easily fooled...
Usually there are slightly more good people in the world than evil people... but with the LameStreamMisleadia FAKE NEWS LIARS tipping recently totally to the dark evil side, I'm afraid there are more (mislead) evil people right now...

<You're saying people are only offended at the bars'n'stars/swastika because they don't understand the history of these symbols? >

Obviously I understand the evil of them...

<On the other hand, I think if you had a Charger with the Confederate flag printed on the roof - "Dukes of Hazzard" and would think maybe you're a little weird for being a grown man who's so into a TV show, but they wouldn't be offended by the flag per se. >
That TV show was meant to be a comedy about city hall corruption and the still current insensitivity of racist Democrats in the South... although it never depicted the slightest evil toward any minorities appearing on the show... they were always depicted as friends/equals/protected...

<I've never met anyone in real life who's offended by the American flag.>
The USA flag isn't particularly beautiful as flags go but its looks aren't what's important, it represents a water shed moment in history: the beginning of the end of evil religion-backed-royalty !!! The end of kings who could order people killed just because they don' think they like them or of the wrong religion/belief system.
Fact is, all religions despise our USA! USA was first to make illegal a favorite hobby of religics: mass murderous religious terrorism killing of innocent people as ordered by the handbooks of all religions!
Religions also despise USA's Freedom of Speech! Which they call heresy/blasphemy...
The Religion Industry refers to our USA as: "The Democracy Experiment" (do a search) and prays for its quick failure!
It grinds in their craw that USA has lasted so long already!

<I think that's probably mainly a "small number of teenage activists running their mouths on the internet" thing. Certainly there are enough American flags pasted all over >
3/4's of Americans are under orders to hate our USA... but they keep quiet about it... would do something about it under the right 'organizational' effort... another 'Hitler' demogogue, maybe...

The Pledge of Allegiance was ruined in 1954 after Catholic Hitlerite Drunken Sen. Joseph McCarthy got evil religion words added to it... thus it's totally UnConstitutional to expect anyone to recite it now!
Fortunately, someone finally had the balls to put evil McCarthy down to his face and then he finished drinking himself to death a couple years later by the tender age of 48...

Last edited:
Auschwitz.
Auschwitz was made a monument to REMIND people that the TOTAL EVIL of Catholic Religious Terrorist Hitler ACTUALLY HAPPENED !!! Never forget it! Ignore the Catholics who still deny it!
Never forget 6+Million people slaughtered in Hitler's concentration camps gas chambers for not being the right religion! 65Million mostly good people killed in his WWII !!! With the help of the also extremist Shinto religion of Japan!
Gen. Eisenhower filmed the evil so we would never forget! He marched the nearby German people through the concentration camps so they would see the evil and smell the mountains of dead bodies that required burial by giant bulldozers and never be able to deny it happened!:

I have never met anyone who was offended by the American flag but I have met plenty who are offended by the Confederate flag. Displaying the swastika in Germany or even jokingly doing the Hitler salute will get people arrested over there.

I tried pulling a little shrub bush out with my truck... ended up bending the back heavy duty utility bumper instead... those little 2-3" diameter stumps/root systems are more strong than it seems possible... ended up just sawing it off level with the ground...
At least the bumper stayed on. My dad was trying to pull a stump out one time and was really laying on the accelerator while the truck didn't move. Finally it broke free and he gave a cheer until he got out and saw the stump still in place and the bumper on the ground.

Yesterday I had to get new windshield wipers on the truck because the rubber on one of them had broken off and was moving off to the side every time the wipers went on.

Today I had to go buy cleaning supplies and more trash bags. Mom didn't tell me she was out of metamucil bars so I had to get more. I also got a tack remover to remove broken hanger on the back of one of the eggshell paintings. Grabbed some cow feed at TSC. Got home, fed the cows, brought stuff in, replaced the hanger on the eggshell painting, put it back on the wall, and gave Mom her stuff.

Something is wrong with the APC that the tv is plugged into. It is letting out a long beep like it has no power. I traced back the plug and I can see it is not in the wall socket completely, but its under a some furniture and my arm is not long enough to reach to push it back in. It is plugged to an extension cord that goes across the room because the outlet nearby doesn't work anymore. I need to get things cleaned up majorly so my friend can take a look at the electrical.

Meant to get pics of the stuff outside yesterday but it was raining all day. Today its too hot after the trip, but if it doesn't start raining again I'll go try to get a picture (if I can figure out where I put my phone). I hate when I put stuff down and forget where. LOL. (Phone is in my fanny pack and I took it off somewhere while doing something).

It felt so hot out I started to get dizzy.

Once I cool off I need to take the kitchen trash bag out of the trash can (brother won't do it even though it's his one chore). He worked until 2am but had to be back at work at noon. That sort of work schedule should be illegal. Swing shifts are not good for people's health. I saved some food for him so he'd have something to eat when he got home. I have more for him so he can eat when he gets home. He tends to cooperate more if I give him food. He's off until Friday after today so I'm hoping I can get him to help me clean.

I have never met anyone who was offended by the American flag

but I have met plenty who are offended by the Confederate flag. Displaying the swastika in Germany or even jokingly doing the Hitler salute will get people arrested over there.

Yesterday I had to get new windshield wipers on the truck because the rubber on one of them had broken off and was moving off to the side every time the wipers went on.

Once I cool off I need to take the kitchen trash bag out of the trash can (brother won't do it even though it's his one chore). He worked until 2am but had to be back at work at noon.
Lots of Americans don't like to see USA flag displayed ( as I explained in other comments above)

Confederate and Hitler flags should be hated by every decent person... We still militarily occupy Germany, Italy, and Japan and that has prevented WWIII for 77 years so far... We LEARNED from WWII following WWI by a mere 20 years!

Have to watch rubber coming off wiper blades as the remaining bare metal can cut a groove in the glass of the windshield... don't ask how I know that...

At least he had over 8 hours between shifts, so it's legal... sounds like WORKING is likely very psychologically and physically healthy for your brother... about time for him to grow up...

I think those that oppose either flag are extremists trying to have their way. Also consider the PC movement to remove monuments and changing names of buildings, military bases and highways. They are trying to get in the face of normal people just as did flag burners and "take-a-knee" Kaepernick. What profit is there in rewriting history? I haven't been to Benin but I understand it uses its sordid history as a slave port to attract tourists as does Auschwitz.

George Washington was a slave owner do we change the name of Washington, DC and remove the monument? Where does the insanity end?
Yeah, removing statues is idiotic. Removing the Lincoln statue shows how idiotic some people are, not only because they have no bloody idea about History, but also because they are only chanting and rioting to appease their actual Slave master, Soros.

Back