What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is some spice in canned chili that tastes like wood ashes to me. Could it be cumin, I don't have cumin in my spice rack?
Is that the stuff that seems like flavored drywall compound?
Had some student tenants from India 40 years ago and got into cooking with some cumin... still like it, but got away from using it...
It amazes me how long some people will sit in a long drive through line... of course, with many indoors still closed, the outside line is all there is if you want their food...
Even before the plandemic, I would go inside and get food and leave while others sat in the lines outside...

That boat is a 1987 American Skier. It was built at a time when Ski Nautique, Mastercraft and American Skier all looked alike.
The Boat has a Ford 351 engine in it with a 4 barrel carb. It produces 260HP which means that engine isn't even breathing hard at full power.
I have a '77 19 1/2 foot Slickcraft deep V bowrider Mercruiser I/o Ford 351W 2 bbl. carb., supposed to be 233 HP but wasn't by time I got it and don't think it ever was. Ford added iron emissions bosses (not used in marine) that mostly blocked the exhaust ports but never lowered the HP rating. Plus horrible maintenance had been done on the engine... when bottoms rusted off the oil filter and fuel filter they were sealed back up with fibreglas cloth/resin... at that time an oil filter was about a dollar and fuel filter maybe $5... a piston had been replaced with a car one with a dish on top so deep it looked like an ashtray... cam was from an emissions slug 125 HP 302W car engine... going by boat speed, it prolly made about 150 HP... the outdrive has an unusual gear ratio so the wrong pitch propeller was on it... engine was lugging and not spinning the water pump fast enough to cool it, so it wanted to overheat... I had the engine out and apart a couple times fixing things and making improvements until it was up around 425 HP at 5750 RPMs... boat will jump up from a stop onto a plane in its own length now...
So Mercruiser then switched to Chevy engines... more stock HP...
The boat seats 14 but that would be with some kids mixed in, all adults is more like 10-12 depending on their weight... we use it for skiiing, boarding, tubing, scuba diving, fishing, cruising... but no ski / radar arch... actually have two quickly swappable rear interiors, for all passengers, or for fishing, etc...

I knew it was there and had heard his dad fuss about the overpriced boat but didn't know it was a Mastercraft. He had the detached garage door open and I saw the Mastercraft and immediately asked the son which engine it had in it and we got into a discussion
Which engine did it have? 302, 351, 350, 454?

I had another setback on Tuesday at 2am. I woke up with bad chest pains. I waited to see if they would subside but they got worse so Ruby took me to ER. They recognized me there because of my frequent flyer miles with them. They immediately treated it as a possible heart attack and did an EKG and an Xray but it seems my heart is okay.
Have you been imbibing food/drinks with a lot of caffeine lately? That can give tightness in chest and uncomfortable feelings in other areas...

a piston had been replaced with a car one with a dish on top so deep it looked like an ashtray... cam was from an emissions slug 125 HP 302W car engine...
I cracked a head sometime in the late 1990’s. It was shooting water out the side. It didn’t really affect performance though. Anyway, I started calling marine dealers and nobody even knew what a Ford with a Commander conversion was. Most boats these days use Indmar or Limor. Anyway, the marine parts people were coming in at $2200 (1990’s dollars). I asked what was different about the marine heads and nobody seemed to know. I went to an old head rebuilding place in town and asked the guy there. He said he didn’t know what the difference was but if I took the head off, there should be a number stamped on the mating face of the head.

I got the number and he cross referenced it. It came back as a head from a 1978 Ford Futura. I asked if he had one of these heads. He said he had one reworked with new valves and springs and a gasket set. But… it was the only one he had and I’d have to pay a premium price for it. He wanted $200! I tried not to seem too giddy but bought it, put it on and it’s been running great ever since.
47E900B9-906C-41F0-A9BB-B5B0812F4727.jpeg

We just had a long chat on the Moen 1222 cartridges on our sister forum. I thought they all had stop valves, but guess not.
Www.plumbingforums.com
Yeah, I wish mine had stops. I can't find a Moen valve with Male IPS and stops anywhere. That's what I have on two of our showers. I could have used the female threads. It probably would have eliminated 1 fitting but that's not what came in the shower valve kit.

1668722022435.png

I believe both these valves use the 1222 cartridge.

Have you been imbibing food/drinks with a lot of caffeine lately? That can give tightness in chest and uncomfortable feelings in other areas...
I just have my normal two cups of coffee every morning. I don't use any other caffeine. Well...I guess that's not really true...I drink Unsweet Ice tea with dinner most nights. It's very un-South like to drink Un-Sweet!

Just left the MD..... had a chest x-ray and labs done, got 2 new prescriptions 😒😒😒. Hoping to make them temporary. Heading to the store to make sure I have everything for Thanksgiving.... then headed to habitat for humanity and then home to put a small kitchen island together. Hopefully it won't be terrible, because some of the reviews said it was horrible to put together....

Then I will reply to these posts!
So, why did you have chest Xrays?

@shan2themax, Is everything ok? Worried about YOU up here in the North... Hope your cabinet didn't cause you any more stress...

Well, got the truck moved into the laneway... Just reprinted the for sale signs, and have dropped the price to $2500 from $4000... So, have to wait and see... I figured some young lad would have gotten his father to buy it by now... Anyhow, time will tell...

Hope YOU all have a GREAT evening...

Cheers~

I got the cabinet together.... it said 2 people 70 minutes.... it took me about 2 hours, I got sidetracked by Dr Phil a couple of times lol.

It wasn't nearly as bad as reviews said, however..... idk that I would purchase the thing again though. It was a decent price and a nice height... so thats good. The Styrofoam though! O.M.G. lots of foam everywhere!

20221117_191507.jpg

So....onto the Dr. Appt. My legs are swelling a good bit mostly on the days I work, but I also have been feeling short of breath with exertion. So.... we drew labs to check to see if I may be in an episode of congestive heart failure/kidney problems.
The labs so far that I can see are fine. The BNP won't show till tomorrow. I have no doubts that it will be fine also. However, I am going to take a water pill and potassium supplements temporarily.
On the flip side of that..... I had weight loss surgery years ago (lap-band) (2011?) And it has caused a lot of problems.... I need it out, I just haven't been able to reconcile having another weight loss surgery done since I failed at that one.
I am just going to have to suck it up and do it. The sleeve can potentially reverse my gastroparesis, which would be fabulous, and.... I just need defatted (lol). One med that I take to help me sleep makes that super difficult.

Also.... I gained 6 pounds since Aug 15 😳. Idk how though because I have not been eating often, or a lot because of my stomach. Today for example....... I have had 10 chicken nuggets today.... and that is it.
I have a headache so I know I need to go eat something, however..... there's no room in the inn in my stomach.

Onto other things...... Monday Nov 21, someone is suppose to show up to inspect the house sag, cracks, etc formulate a plan/estimate or tell me that I do indeed need a structural engineer..... once that is done (and I have found something to do with /someone to take the cats) once they are gone and sag is fixed, I have decided to get carpet so that I can relax some, and not be so stressed. Also buy a new couch and recliner.

And I have got to read this blasted book that I bought over a year ago.
20221117_201858.jpg20221117_201905.jpg

Also... thanks for thinking I look younger than my age... you know how to make a girl feel good lol.

I don't put makeup on or fix my hair hardly ever..... so I don't look like that on the regular

Last edited:
I cracked a head sometime in the late 1990’s. It was shooting water out the side. It didn’t really affect performance though. Anyway, I started calling marine dealers and nobody even knew what a Ford with a Commander conversion was. Most boats these days use Indmar or Limor. Anyway, the marine parts people were coming in at $2200 (1990’s dollars). I asked what was different about the marine heads and nobody seemed to know. I went to an old head rebuilding place in town and asked the guy there. He said he didn’t know what the difference was but if I took the head off, there should be a number stamped on the mating face of the head.

I got the number and he cross referenced it. It came back as a head from a 1978 Ford Futura. I asked if he had one of these heads. He said he had one reworked with new valves and springs and a gasket set. But… it was the only one he had and I’d have to pay a premium price for it. He wanted $200! I tried not to seem too giddy but bought it, put it on and it’s been running great ever since.
View attachment 29039
BOAT
Break Out Another Thousand!

I like the gold handles, but that's my style preference. The handles I have for my bathroom are the chrome version of those handles. As soon as I heard about Moen I was thinking of the Posi-Temp valve. We got the Kingsley trim with the Moentrol valve for Mom's bathroom because it does both pressure and temperature separately.

My brother was lecturing me on being more active and calling me "lazy". Says the guy who refuses to clean up after himself, pick up trash, take trash out, etc. He came in and was whining about how roaches got into his new rice cooker (which he doesn't clean) & how much this house sucks and he hates it. Mom said that if he took the trash out regularly the roaches might not be so bad. He flipped her off and started yelling about how she always has to insult him. He's never been able to take any constructive criticism. If someone gives him any comments perceived as negative he takes it personally & claims its just an attempt to attack him or be mean to him. I still remember when he was little if someone so much as said the word "No" to him, he'd immediately burst into tears and cry like he'd been punched in the face. He certainly likes to tell other people they suck though.

Today we went to the post office and Walmart. I picked up the microwave from the post office (that sucker was so heavy the lady who worked there couldn't lift it). I got it down the stairs and to the truck but my brother got in the way when I was trying to put it in. He took it and almost dropped it. I could have gotten it in easier but I guess he wanted to claim he did something useful. He bought a ton of junk food. I got a plastic drawer organizer to replace the shallow cardboard box that had been sitting on top of the old microwave. New organizer let me sort stuff better and is less likely to attract roaches. We have set out traps and today I spread some gel poison around on Mom's desk (which is really covered in roaches).

My brother helped bring groceries in but then didn't help put anything away. He also didn't help with the microwave. I moved the old microwave out of the way, scrubbed the entire counter down & organized the coffee machine & its creamers & stuff. I then brought in the new microwave, unpacked it, got it in place, and put the organizers in place. I got another plastic thingy that I shoved behind the air fryer so it could bump forward enough that the handle doesn't hit the counter (when it opens) without cats being able to get behind it (they bump the plugs).

I also emptied the kitchen trash can and put a new bag in. Still need to haul the old one out, but after lugging that heavy microwave around I was exhausted.

I cooked for Mom & had to go back and forth getting stuff for her & trying to herd the cats. I'm about ready for a nap now.

I had a colonoscopy when I was young during the workday and went right back to work. Now that they have more modern smaller cameras they use anesthesia and won't do the procedure if you don't have a driver.
Are you saying you had a colonoscopy without the anesthesia? That would be brutal! I enjoy waking up and they say, You’re all done!

I got the cabinet together.... it said 2 people 70 minutes.... it took me about 2 hours, I got sidetracked by Dr Phil a couple of times lol.
The cabinet looks real nice. All these little things you are doing will help make your place a nice haven for you to come home to after work.
..... I had weight loss surgery years ago (lap-band) (2011?) And it has caused a lot of problems....
that surgery sounds brutal!

Latest posts

Back