What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
drove him to the auto shops to get new lug nuts bc hers are garbage.
Bought some new Dorman brand lug nuts for my pickup, but when I went to tighten them, they stripped out like made of butter, so I stopped at a junkyard and grabbed some used Ford lug nuts off vehicles that worked fine...

Ya'll, I let my dogs out this morning and found 2 cats on my back porch. I tried to catch them both but could only get 1. The poor thing was so so so sick, she had a huge area on her chest, I kind of thought it looked like a giant tumor but it was infected in the center, she smelled so bad and I can barely smell still because of Covid. I put her in a cat carrier and took her to the vet up in town and they euthanized her. I felt so sorry for her, she had to be in so much pain and she just meowed. The other cat was healthier looking, but it looked like part of her eye was missing but she was too fast for me to catch. I wonder if they were "friends" because they were both calico, and in the box together. I hope I can catch the other one, although I didn't see her when I got home.
I was standing in the vet office and started crying for that poor cat, she was so skinny and it was such a huge area.

I went to Walmart and bought a bunch of Christmas tree decorations (I don't have any) for next year, and a new vacuum..... I just bought a new vacuum in October but it stopped working. I got a pork butt roast marked down, I am going to cook it in the crockpot tomorrow and make bbq pulled pork mac n cheese for dinner.

I am going to have a late Christmas Dinner on Saturday, prime rib, asparagus, mashed potatoes and brussel sprouts cooked with bacon and onion and some dinner rolls. And then I bought a cherry crumble and some vanilla bean ice cream.

I bought the prime rib a few weeks ago, it is bone in, but it was marked down to $7/pound, so I thought that would be a good treat.

I wore myself out walking around in walmart for 2 hours so I think I might take a nap or at least lay dawn and watch some TV (if I can find some of the internet that I haven't watched while sick lol)

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

I believe I've mentioned before that my ring tone is House of the Rising Sun. I like this version better!
Guy I worked with had Star Wars ring tone, whenever it rang, we all yelled Princess Leia is calling again... then laughed... we could really have some fun with House of the Rising Sun!
I've listened to several versions of the French National Anthem: "La Marseillaise"
but still think the best version by far is the one in that old Humphrey Bogart movie "Casablanca"...
(The words to that song, translated into English, are rather brutal)

Ya'll, I let my dogs out this morning and found 2 cats on my back porch. I tried to catch them both but could only get 1. The poor thing was so so so sick, she had a huge area on her chest, I kind of thought it looked like a giant tumor but it was infected in the center, she smelled so bad and I can barely smell still because of Covid. I put her in a cat carrier and took her to the vet up in town and they euthanized her.
Sounds like mange... hope you washed your hands quickly and cleaned anything it touched!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mange

I tried Aldi store brand steak sauce and BBQ sauce but it's been months and they haven't restocked it.
Most dollar stores have BBQ sauce for about a dollar, but the only steak sauce available may be only A1 for $5 now...

I woke up at 530 am startled by a weird dream, was cold. Looked at my nest thermostat app with one eye open, saw that it was 62 degrees and thought great...... went back to sleep though because I was supposed to work 11 to 11. Got up at 815... now 55 degrees.... attempt to turn the emergency heat on, on the heat pump... wait a few minutes, nothing.....
Yeah, it was -4 F outside when I was reading that email from my electric company that first time ever mentioned the possibility of "short, rotating customer outages" around here and I'm thinking, yeah, that's all we need now...

General Patton's dog was so ugly that I would never own a dog if that were the only breed.

1672343568784.png

Last edited:
I think that's actually a picture of actor George C. Scott... don't know if they got the dog breed correct... looks like a pit bull here...
General Patton's dog, Willie, was a similar bull terrier:
https://foreignpolicy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/121116_pattonwillie2.jpg
Yeah, then it'd be a still from the movie "Patton", written by Francis Ford Coppola, in which George C. Scott played the title role.

The dog looks like a Bull Terrier -- not a pit bull, but that goes to show you how readily people mistake other dogs for pit bulls. If that dog had bitten somebody then it would be called a pit bull for sure!

I think it's an okay-looking breed. The really ugly ones to me are the ones that look unhealthy with the squashed-in faces and messed-up hips to give them waddly gaits. (Basically, the further you get from wolf, the uglier.)

Yeah, then it'd be a still from the movie "Patton", written by Francis Ford Coppola, in which George C. Scott played the title role.

The dog looks like a Bull Terrier -- not a pit bull, but that goes to show you how readily people mistake other dogs for pit bulls. If that dog had bitten somebody then it would be called a pit bull for sure!

I think it's an okay-looking breed. The really ugly ones to me are the ones that look unhealthy with the squashed-in faces and messed-up hips to give them waddly gaits. (Basically, the further you get from wolf, the uglier.)
In the 1980's I had a college student tenant who loved that Patton movie, he borrowed my VHS tape copy of it and watched it about every day for a while... after graduating he wrote me that he moved to a job in FishKill, NY and met a girlfriend that caused his social life to explode... last I heard from him...
Well bull terriers are pit bulls... known for the large powerful looking jaw muscles... and for hanging on by the teeth after biting... usually gentle if not raised for fighting... of course every animal/person has a different personality... current occupant of White House has a dog known for biting Secret Service agents... owner claims that's not true...
Yeah, bull dogs were bred for shorter and shorter noses until they can barely breathe through tiny passages... Bulldogs are supposed to be fearless, but a few years ago on the football field that bulldog mascot of Georgia CFB team sure took off after the Longhorn cow of Texas got tired of it barking at him and took off after it with a horn!

Well bull terriers are pit bulls
Nope, two totally different breeds that don't look at all alike.

Bull terrier:
44c60f7e9c655bb7aef2f90500fe2019_breed.jpg

Pit bull terrier:
american-pit-bull-terrier2.jpg

The Pit Bull Terrier is actually quite handsome in comparison to the American Bull Terrier. Tummy tuck and a more general dog look in the face. The cute shelter puppy that I posted yesterday was advertised as a Carolina Dog but I suspect it's CD/Pit mix. It would prolly do me well but I don't want to go through puppyhood again.

Well I hit Aldi today and they had finally restocked BBQ sauce. I like their hickory, brown sugar version. No steak sauce though but Food Lion store brand is about the same price point and both are (IMO) as good as A1.

The past 6 days we’ve been battling frozen pipes and septic back ups. I called several septic clean out guys but none were working because their trucks were frozen. I got the water running again fairly fast and then a septic guy finally came out on Tuesday 5 days after I started calling them. It was cold and also Christmas Holiday so it was a bad time to need a service.

After the septic tank was pumped, the septic backup was still happening so I went under the house and snaked the main house drain pipe for several hours (it seemed like). I found another clean out buried outside the house. It was that one that finally cleared the problem.

Today, my BIL and I installed a plastic utility box over the outside clean-out so I don’t have to dig it up next time.

It seems everything works like it should now so we took some time off to go to the park with the kids and look at some Christmas lights. 770399DE-E7B2-45F7-90C2-8E3D7BDFE3F9.jpeg

2CD0BB4D-E4C2-4692-A087-560674A8CC3D.jpeg

Me and Ruby

FF1E7883-7E76-4D58-BEAE-1889B7BD7D73.jpeg

After the septic tank was pumped, the septic backup was still happening so I went under the house and snaked the main house drain pipe for several hours (it seemed like). I found another clean out buried outside the house. It was that one that finally cleared the problem.

Today, my BIL and I installed a plastic utility box over the outside clean-out so I don’t have to dig it up next time.
I would have dumped hot/boiling water down the cleanouts...
Hope the box is insulated so cold doesn't get down into there...

Hope the box is insulated so cold doesn't get down into there...
Yeah, I thought about that. What could be used for insulation in there? The sewage drain pipe is still mostly buried in dirt with the top being exposed in a small area where the clean-out is. It probably won't have any problems. I say that because the other half of the house has a secondary kitchen and a full bath that drains into the septic from the opposite side as the main house and it's drain line is more exposed than the main house is now and it had no problem at 7 degrees F. I'm sure it will be fine but a little extra insurance isn't a bad thing:)

1672406098403.png

The strainer on the pool pump froze and broke because I forgot to program the pump to run 24/7. We’re just not used to temps below 19F. Even at sub 29F I should run the pump 24/7. I really need to make a sub 29 checklist and a sub 20F checklist and then hope I don’t have to use the sub 20F one.

3B3AF560-0052-4D31-A7EF-E5EF1D4A56B1.jpeg

Luckily, I had a spare and just had to cut the 1 1/2” PVC going to the inlet which you can’t see in this picture. When I put it back together, I used a union so it can be taken apart without cutting it.

1672407746308.png

Latest posts

Back