What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spicoli, what do you do with all that chocolate?? Also I'm curious what you mean by e.g. "maple". You mean maple syrup?

I've found my sweet spot for chocolate when I buy it to eat is between about 85-90% cacao. I've eaten bars of 100% before and enjoyed them but been happy to go back to 85. But 75 just tastes like sugar to me, way too sweet.

Also I like Lindt and the Aldi brand (Moser Roth) but can't stand Ghiradelli, doesn't matter what %.
Wow, you're hardcore. Just by observing the Chocolate aisle at various stores, hardly anybody buys 85 plus. My main go to batch that I make for myself is 100% but I add in the Cashews, Dates, Raisins etc... Every bite of Dark Chocolate is exactly that, but it's tempered down with the fruit sugars.

I give most of it away to people, keep a bag for myself. The Maple is Maple Syrup granules.

There hasn't been any high interest bank accounts the past few years... with home mortgages down around 3%... hard to find a savings interest above 1%... the rates were just recently raised/doubled/tripled to stop high prices/inflation... LOL!
I have my savings and money market savings at Ally Bank.

3.30% APY

Ally's savings account currently offers 3.30% APY.3 days ago

I just dump all my spare change into the market. It will eventually come back bigly, but probably not for a couple more years. It's long term savings that will pay 1000% plus.

Found out that the Pluto app has 24/7 COPS on.... Vintage... "Bad Boys Bad Boys Whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do when I rollup on you in my 99 Crown V"...

"Yeah Yeah, with seating for 22, I can fit your whole crew"

Last edited:
Ally Bank was one of the first "online" banks. I've used them for years, and have linked all my accounts, so a few seconds on the computer and I can transfer funds in or out of that account, all free of charge, in usually one day or less. I even have a credit card and checks I could use, but I use my local bank for daily needs and try only to use the Ally account for savings purposes.

For the Republicans in here, there is another new online savings bank forming right now. They will not invest with woke culture and ignore ESG {Environmental Social Governance) or "Cancel Culture". The primary investors are Dr. Ben Carson and Larry Elder. It is called "Old Glory Bank." Depending on interest rates, I just may transfer all my funds in there because it too is FDIC insured.

Speaking of banks, I was talking with my neighbor, who admitted having his $600,000 savings account at Wells Fargo Bank, earning .025% interest. I tried convincing him to slide his money into Ally, which would get him about $20,000 in free money every year. He is hesitant because he thinks his money is safer at a brick and mortar bank. I use to think that way as well.

That's interesting about Old Glory bank, Havasu. I think there are probably a lot of people, not just Republicans, who'd like to see more pushback from business, education, finance, entertainment, tech, etc. against woke/cancel culture. It seems like a coordination problem but maybe it's a bit of a first mover problem too.

Of course maybe the main problem is apathy, but that assumes woke/cancel culture etc. are really that big a deal in the first place, rather than mostly just something people talk about a lot on Twitter and in the news but otherwise have very little reason to ever think about.

(Since I avoid Twitter and the news, I noticed I pretty much don't hear about any of this stuff, ever, except from people who are talking about Twitter or the news.) If the woke people, and the people who want to spend their time fighting the woke people, all want Twitter and the news so bad, they can have them, I don't want those things anyway. They are not part of the land mass I live on.

Spicoli, I'd bet that mix is pretty good. Have you tried it with coarsely ground coffee beans?

Last edited:
Ally Bank was one of the first "online" banks. I've used them for years, and have linked all my accounts, so a few seconds on the computer and I can transfer funds in or out of that account, all free of charge, in usually one day or less. I even have a credit card and checks I could use, but I use my local bank for daily needs and try only to use the Ally account for savings purposes.

For the Republicans in here, there is another new online savings bank forming right now. They will not invest with woke culture and ignore ESG {Environmental Social Governance) or "Cancel Culture". The primary investors are Dr. Ben Carson and Larry Elder. It is called "Old Glory Bank." Depending on interest rates, I just may transfer all my funds in there because it too is FDIC insured.
Thank you for your post. I am definitely going to have more money because you shared this info!

I find that I will stick to the news so that I am aware of the ever changing world situation. Plus my local news can be of value especially due to my rural situation.

Speaking of banks, I was talking with my neighbor, who admitted having his $600,000 savings account at Wells Fargo Bank, earning .025% interest. I tried convincing him to slide his money into Ally, which would get him about $20,000 in free money every year. He is hesitant because he thinks his money is safer at a brick and mortar bank. I use to think that way as well.
Well, you could just tell him the truth that his money is better off with the local Crack dealer than Wells Fargo...

Spicoli, I'd bet that mix is pretty good. Have you tried it with coarsely ground coffee beans?
I have, although adding the Coffee to the refiner for 24 Hours is my preferred method. Some Craft businesses let their refiners run for 3 days, but they are the size of a Washing machine. I can't run my tabletop unit that long.

I have, although adding the Coffee to the refiner for 24 Hours is my preferred method. Some Craft businesses let their refiners run for 3 days, but they are the size of a Washing machine. I can't run my tabletop unit that long.
What does the refiner actually do?

What does the refiner actually do?
It grinds down the Cacao Nibs and Sugar / other powders to a smooth texture and breaks down the Cacao flavor and smell. Every Chocolate bar you have ever bought is made that way, albeit in gigantic machines.

The small refiner (AKA Grinder AKA Melanger) does exactly that, only on a tabletop scale of 2.5KG Max... If I run the machine for 4 hours, it will still be a little gritty. People on Chocolate forums say the 24 Hours is necessary for both the smooth "mouth feel" and the breaking down of the Cacao into a refined Chocolate taste and smell.

I either don't understand the Chocolate taste and smell part, as running it from minute 1 releases an intense Chocolate smell that I love. Also, on earlier batches I only ran it for 8 hours or so and I had no problem with it... Apparently both parts of the reason to run it that long is personal preference.

Here's a short intro video of the machine I own...

Though I like chocolate my fav is simple homemade black walnut chocolate or PNB caramel fudge. And only homemade store bought is adulterated with some sort of gum.

I remembered that I have the same shower trim (sitting in a box) as my friend has in his shower. Since his cartridge blew apart, I gave him my cartridge and have contacted Delta for warranty service on the cartridge. If they refuse to cover it, I can still buy a replacement.
I handed him tools while he changed the brake pads on his new gf's car and then drove him to the auto shops to get new lug nuts bc hers are garbage. Her ex's brother was working at one of the shops and said friend needed to call the ex to talk to him bc the friend is looking for her & has told everyone she cheated on him (which is not true). Someone told the ex her vehicle was at my friend's house. Friend said he was working on her brakes and that's why we were there buying stuff. She freaked out when we told her bc she has anxiety & is worried he'll come try to confront her & is upset that he won't leave her alone. I volunteered to go get her cat and the stuff the cat needs and that I will tell him I insisted (bc I am insisting) on doing it and its not at her behest. I said as far as her ex is concerned, she's staying with me (so he won't show up at my friend's house to bother her). Friend's ex is losing her mind and messaging the new gf nonstop.

I picked up my RX, grabbed some groceries, helped a friend who works at Walmart with stocking a shelf (just handed him stuff to make it faster), got food for my friend's cats (they were out and were losing their minds over having food). Got home and cooked for Mom. Gave my brother some food to eat at work as he was heading out the door.

I'm currently snuggled up with Aminatu.

Though I like chocolate my fav is simple homemade black walnut chocolate or PNB caramel fudge. And only homemade store bought is adulterated with some sort of gum.
I like melting Coconut Oil in a double boiler and adding Cacao powder with Coconut Sugar and Mint flavoring. I also do a recipe with peanut Butter Powder. I just pour the mix into cupcake paper things and freeze them. That's a 15 minute thing or whatever when I don't want to do a whole batch with the Refiner, which takes around 30 minutes to setup and then I can't leave the house for said 24 Hours.

As I get deeper into this hobby, I will be doing Caramel filled little round Chocolates as well as Whiskey filled.

Back