What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I had a bizarre and hilarious evening. I told myself I'd stop thinking about it because it'd drive me crazy, but apparently I'm not ready to stop thinking about it yet. Let's just say that 2 months ago I thought I remembered doing one thing but actually did a different thing, such that it made this night a Christmas we will never forget.

(Before you ask: nobody is dead, pregnant, or in jail; it was just a mix-up in some recreation plans that cascaded into a lot of unnecessary driving and dinner in a crappy Chinese buffet instead of as a family around a warm table.)
Sounds like a good story!

Zannej, I never heard of Geoff Castellucci so I looked him up. Wow, what a voice! The one video I saw was really well produced too. Too bad he hasn't done any Type-O Negative covers.

Spicoli, what do you do with all that chocolate?? Also I'm curious what you mean by e.g. "maple". You mean maple syrup?

I've found my sweet spot for chocolate when I buy it to eat is between about 85-90% cacao. I've eaten bars of 100% before and enjoyed them but been happy to go back to 85. But 75 just tastes like sugar to me, way too sweet.

Also I like Lindt and the Aldi brand (Moser Roth) but can't stand Ghiradelli, doesn't matter what %.

Ron: Yes, it is! I need to get it together first and then I can tell it. Give me a few days.

Ruby and I along with her mother, brother, brother’s wife and their son went to church this morning. Then everyone came to our house where we were joined by our daughter, her husband and our grand daughter to open presents. Later we had dinner and watched a little of the LA Rams verses Denver Bronco game.

105B5BF3-5FE1-4EE0-A1DA-3FE5B42F4CBF.jpeg

75523417-68EF-49A2-A201-D877928E86B3.jpeg

Happy group! Now I see why you need all the leaves for that dining table.
Yeah, and my son and DIL’s flight was canceled and won’t be here until Wednesday. If their flight had not been canceled, we would have had two more. The table is pushed back against the wall so the far end is not used. If we have more people, we pull the table out and put the two young-uns on the end. It’s crowded but no one seems to mind.

It’s awesome when you can move halfway across the country and still get that many family members together. Ruby has an Uncle in Louisiana, and a cousin in Florida. I have an Aunt in Georgia and my brother in North Carolina but most our relatives are still in California. They all were quick to point out that it was in the 70’s in Northern Cal and 82 in SoCal. I said, “Yeah? It got up to 33F here!” That’s the warmest it been since last Friday when the Bomb Cyclone hit.

Because people are people, Redneck. When I was told about the storm, I went to the store and stocked up on stuff the day before, which was a ZOO experience because everybody else was doing that, but I didn't have to go anywhere since.
Yeah, noticed Walmart was surprisingly packed in the earlier daytime Thursday...

Last edited:
I heard that insurance companies are deep in the red and having to increase rates. If they don't, the ones that actually offer any protection will go out of business or won't pay the claims. I also heard that California is so behind on updating their rates (something like 2 years), that several insurances companies are refusing to sell insurance in CA moving forward. I don't know how they'll dig themselves out of that hole...
That $100Billion in hurricane damage in Florida prolly shocked the insurance companies...

Today I tried to make a fire in the living room fireplace. It's an insert, and not one of the good ones I think, and we've had occasional problems with it not drawing properly. (It's happened 2-3 times in the 2 years we've been in the house, during which time we've had probably a dozen "successful" fires in that fireplace.) Well it happened again today, and the living room filled with smoke. Had to open windows, set up fans, pour water over the smoldering fire to put it completely out, etc. I managed to contain the smoke to the living room, but still that sucked and we never got to enjoy a fire. I let my wife know and we're going to look into having the insert serviced or replaced.
Problem may be at top of chimney... not high enough... blocked... baffles... something weird up there... animal caught in chimney... higher walls nearby may cause a pressure buildup when wind is from certain directions...

Was this your first bout with Covid? It seems the first is the worst, then it’s like a cold the second time…at least that’s my experience.
I got Covid-19 in Feb. 2019... before it was even famous/well known... long before any too late shots available in Fall 2020...

that they put the $ away in high interest bank accounts
There hasn't been any high interest bank accounts the past few years... with home mortgages down around 3%... hard to find a savings interest above 1%... the rates were just recently raised/doubled/tripled to stop high prices/inflation... LOL!

"Vaccination is the best protection against getting the flu."... Yeah, NO... Most Covid deaths post vaccine are seen in vaccinated people. That's proven. It isn't a vaccine, it's a Bioweapon.
Jokementia Bribery caught on videos (now being mostly hidden): "If you get the Covid shot, you won't get Covid"

Though big pharma and the medical profession in general tend to put down anecdotal evidence as if it's the opposite of 'science' most doctors use anecdotal experience in their practice. Since all meds don't work for all patients most doctors favor remedies that have worked for them.

My use of vitamin-C is my own anecdotal experience and may not work for others. Before trying vitamin-C I experienced the common cold and occasional flu just as others do. It was just a winter expectation. Someone started placing a bottle of vitamin-C at the office coffee pot during the winter months (paid for with coffee mess funds). I noticed less colds so when I moved into a field assignment I purchased my own vitamin-C. I gradually increased dosage from one gram per day to three grams per day distributed. The bottom line is that respiratory ailments are no longer a winter expectation. I had flu symptoms in 2017 four days after a flu shot (I have since dropped flu shots) and can't recall my last common cold episode. I did have the three-day COVID and upped my vitamin-C intake until it passed.

Vitamin-C may not be the magical bullet for everyone but it certainly has been in my personal experience. As my wife's internist said with regard to Hawthorn Berry for BP control; try it, if it works, fine, if not move on.

Last edited:
Merry Christmas everyone... I'm all for celebrating the Birth of Little Baby Jesus, but it wasn't in December.
90% of people in the world know he wasn't ever born at all... just an evil storybook character... hung for his crimes at the end of the story... but still inspired the murder of billions of people...

The bottom line is that respiratory ailments are no longer a winter expectation.
At your age, you prolly have immunity to most common ailments... that's why they had to go into the lab and invent new ailments... LOL!

"Vandals in Pierce County, Washington, attacked four power substations on Christmas Day, causing at least 17,000 residents to lose power, KING-TV reported."
This seems to be getting to be all the rage these days... is there some group promoting this activity?
That northern Pacific area just had an "ice pellets" storm...

Back