What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had my septic tank pumped a couple of years ago and bought a cover to go in the hole for cleanout. I have never installed the cover so the hole has never been refilled.The system continued to operate throughout the cold snap so I am assuming the small exposed area did not permit enough heat loss from a 1500 gallon tank for any freezing. The distribution box was not uncovered.

Last edited:
For the Pit Bull vs Bull terrier argument Wiki is not a good source. The breeds aren't even recognized in the same kennel clubs. The Bull Terrier is shown in the AKC and the Pit Bull Terrier in the UKC.

For the Pit Bull vs Bull terrier argument Wiki is not a good source. The breeds aren't even recognized in the same kennel clubs. The Bull Terrier is shown in the AKC and the Pit Bull Terrier in the UKC.
But even Wikipedia states that in the US the term "pitbull" may refer to a number of breeds--none of them the bull terrier!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bull_Terrier

The strainer on the pool pump froze and broke because I forgot to program the pump to run 24/7. We’re just not used to temps below 19F. Even at sub 29F I should run the pump 24/7. I really need to make a sub 29 checklist and a sub 20F checklist and then hope I don’t have to use the sub 20F one.

View attachment 29406

Luckily, I had a spare and just had to cut the 1 1/2” PVC going to the inlet which you can’t see in this picture. When I put it back together, I used a union so it can be taken apart without cutting it.

View attachment 29407
I recently purchased a variable speed pool pump, and looking thru the instructions, it says it has freeze protection built in to it. I'm wondering if it senses the temperature and turns on during freezing weather?

My grandfather clock died last night. I have torn it apart, and going to find out why....and how to fix it. I just did this last year, and ran great, but think I used the wrong lubricant.

Attachments

• 20221230_111623.jpg
    20221230_111623.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221230_111634.jpg
    20221230_111634.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221230_111653.jpg
    20221230_111653.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Made a batch of Chocolate, around 4 lbs. probably. I think this recipe will end up being 3 Gallon sized Ziplocks because I added so much stuff to it... I like to keep it around 65% because I don't use straight up Sugar. I could increase it to 75% Dark if I used Sugar, but I don't think that would work with the Fruit Sugars. The variable is Maple, first time using it.
For me I am sure the most economical approach would be for me just to purchase chocolate. Back in the day I used to order a 5 lb block from Sears catalog each Christmas along with their 5 lb Masterpiece fruitcake. If I were to seek an online source for chocolate what should I look for and what would represent a good price?

For me I am sure the most economical approach would be for me just to purchase chocolate. Back in the day I used to order a 5 lb block from Sears catalog each Christmas along with their 5 lb Masterpiece fruitcake. If I were to seek an online source for chocolate what should I look for and what would represent a good price?
Well, the bars I bought before I got my machine were 3 oz. Theo Organic Mint. They were $1.99 on sale / $2.49 regular for a long time before Obamaflation. Now they are $3.65 regular.

I just ran the numbers from my supplier for a straight up 100% Cacao bar... To make a 1KG batch is about 75% of a 3 LB bag of Cacao Nibs that are $21.99 on subscribe and save.

That comes out to $16.16 per 1KG batch

1KG is 35.27 Oz...

35.27 Oz / 3 Oz bar.. 11.75 Bars

That comes out to $1.37 Bar for 100%

I didn't add the required Cacao Butter because adding 50g of that drops the Cacao Nibs by 50g. It would probably be the same cost if not a miniscule difference, but the point is if I make enough, which I will, it will pay off the machine that costs $300 or $400 since I'm now saving approx. $2.28 per bar...

There's variables because I don't usually do the bars, I do the chunks of my recipe with cashews and raisins and dates etc... I'm just going off the straight up Cacao cost I would incur if I was buying 100% Bakers Chocolate or whatever separately. So, if I make 175 bars using said calculations, that pays for the $400 machine.

I think I'm probably half way there.

Whether you want to get into making it with a machine with the Nibs, or you just want to use Cacao Powder on the stove and mix it with Coconut Oil and a sweetener / Peanut Butter or whatever, the best source I have found is a family owned company called Terrasoul... They are great now, hopefully they won't sellout...

https://www.terrasoul.com/collections/cacao-coconut

I made a delicious dinner today. BBQ pulled pork, mac-n-cheese, and French style green beans.

Also............

I keep getting notifications on reddit about people's public servant student loan forgiveness payment counts surpassing the required 120 payments and logging in to find there balances either 0.00 or much less if they had varying ages of loans because of more than 1 degree. I logged into mine and was immediately moved to tears..... literally. So grateful, thankful and blessed. I will be 100%ecstatic once I get the formal letter, however.... 75% of mine are gone! The remaining balance is because I went back to school in the end of 2018 and graduated the spring of 2020.
Ya'll.... that opens up so many possibilities, I can AFFORD to have the house worked on after it is finalized..... I was thanking Jesus for such a wonderful opportunity.

It is 70° here today after being 1° last week.... crazy weather!

Hope everyone has had a blessed day, and a delicious dinner!

Shan, I'm sorry about the cat. It could have been a very infected abscess but it sounds like she was in bad shape. She's no longer suffering. I hope you can help the other kitty. I'm so glad that most of your student loan debt is paid off.

Internet is working again but still unstable. Weather has warmed up and it won't cool off in the house. Gonna have to call a different AC person.

Havasu, I'm glad you got the clock fixed.

My shoulder and arm really hate me. I have a lidocaine patch on the arm but it's not helping enough. Muscles keep spasming. I'm going to have to see my doctor. Mom is talking to me about trying to get some sort of insurance but it's so expensive here. Need to get my stupid tooth that broke fixed but also need to get more work done on the truck. Timing belt and such. I'm a bit miffed at the dealership bc I asked for an oil change, diagnostic, & having the abs/vsa thing addressed. They charged me for fluid injection system treatment & put that I requested it. I did not. Charged over $500 for it. But, its the only place that works on Hondas in my area. Need timing belt changed and some other stuff. Need new tires too. Ugh.

But, at least its warm and I can still use the internet a bit.

I would like to do something to protect the inlet and outlet pipes going to and from our tankless water heater. We have a Rannai outdoor approved water heater. It has freeze protection internally for the exchanger and other critical components but the pipes connecting it to the house are unprotected and are the first thing to freeze. If the temperature gets down to 20F, it will freeze.

IMG_1060.jpg

As I posted HERE, I'm getting conflicting information on putting heat tape on PEX. Some people do it but the heat tapes I've looked at (ie Frost King), don't list PEX as a material they are approved for. And also, some people put foam insulation over the heat tape but other people say not to do that.

If I just use foam insulation, How much does that really protect the pipes?

Does anyone have info on this?

IMG_1061.jpg

Some styrofoam or fibreglas wall insulation... depending how much water it will see...
I think the Styrofoam would be the way to go. It would be more waterproof, although, I don't think there should be much water in there but time will tell.

It's funny...Our water meter is in a hole with a concrete utility box on top of it but the hole has never been filled in so there is no dirt around the box to insulate it.

IMG_0650.jpg

When we first bought this house 2 1/2 years ago, I didn't know where the water meter and shut off was, so naturally, I wanted to find it. It was buried under a growth of ivy and other weeds but the cover was not on the box. I found the cover, straightened up the box some and Ruby has been working the last two years on cleaning out the ivy and weeds. But the point is...It has never frozen whereas the water heater freezes any time it gets below 29F for any significant amount of time.

So, my goal is to become more proactive in freeze prevention.

Ron, when I had my shop floor concrete forms in, we put in a new pipe from the well to handle what will be the bathroom and a drop sink or whatever else I want.

I should have put a shutoff valve by the well, but I was thinking I was going to have the shop built right away. So for the past 3 years, I have the exposed pipe / valve on top of the concrete, the only part that needs protection.

I found this wrap that has been invaluable for 3 years, as evidenced by my pipe surviving even in this years' -50 plus with wind. It's not even rated that high, so I'm extremely impressed. This wrap connects to a 10 ga. extension cord that I snaked through conduit...

While that isn't your exact situation, I think they can help you out...

http://www.unitherm.com/freezepro/

Attachments

• Freeze Pro.JPG
    Freeze Pro.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back