What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On my last job assignment we rented a rustic house near Camp David, MD. Inspired by This End Up furniture I made a couple of rustic end tables from Yamaha motorcycle shipping crate slats. Here's what remains of one of them after a repaint and years of use on the deck. And a kitchen stool that was shortened for patio use.

View attachment 30288View attachment 30289
I’m afraid the suitcases wouldn’t have lasted very long on your deck.

My goal today was to move a HVAC floor register box to a new location. The reason is because it is in the way of our proposed new shower and the duct feeding it is in the way of the DWV drain line for this new bathroom project.

D87F60F5-1236-4D6A-ACB4-ED2BC4BCAC26.jpeg

I want to move it from the position on the left (black register) to the area outlined with blue tape on the right. I will also replace the solid galvanized 6” duct with flex duct which can be routed between the floor joists so I can run my DWV drain line.

DD9D17CF-ADF5-4126-A600-ABBD149E5E0F.jpeg
I went into the crawlspace (using my new trap door) to get an accurate location of the floor joist, then cut the hole.

A478509C-701A-4D8F-AB1B-7858E490DCA0.jpeg
Got the new duct run and the register box in place.

9BDD579E-A544-480F-9298-8E0ABDD685D5.jpeg

Got it all hooked up and the old ductwork removed, but it’s still in the crawlspace.

A Doctor on the conference today told a story about a patient that is a sewage worker in NYC... Says they see so many vitamin pills of (redacted) brand with a distinguishing letter on them in the sewers that they considered contacting the company to see if they wanted to rinse them off and reuse them... (Supposedly the #1 brand on TV all the time, redacted of course to prevent a lawsuit)...

Moral of the story... Don't take vitamins in the caplet / tablet form. They don't break down...

@Ron Van, how will you cover up the old hole?
I can’t believe someone actually took a picture of this and put it online.
The worst part is the waste of space. You can't open those suitcases to store things in them. It'd be one thing to somehow cut the closed "fronts" off and fashion them into drawer faces, that you don't realize are drawers until you pull them out. That'd actually be kinda neat, though still unsightly.

Looks great, Ron! What do you plan to do about the hole in the floor?

I don't like wasted spaces. That's why I like tip out drawers and hidden compartments.

New phone arrived in the mail. I took it over to AT&T place to get it setup. The clerk threw out my old simcard without asking first and I had planned to back it up one more time. She then claimed that my old phone could have been traded in for $1k credit to the purchase of a new phone despite the fact that the people on the website told me my old phone was worthless & not eligible for trade in. Little shop didn't have the new phone in stock. After messing around with a sim card she claimed that my new phone was not an unlocked phone and could not be registered with AT&T. She didn't spend much time on it. She put the new sim card into my old phone but it refused to let me make calls. I told my brother what was said (he waited in the truck for me) and he sensed bs from the clerk. He messaged our friend who said to bring the phone over and that the lady was full of crap. He was right. He put the new simcard in the new phone and used NFC and went through some steps to set my phone up. He then transferred all of the data (which took over an hour) from the old phone to the new phone. Only good thing that came out of the At&t store was the free sim card. I've been installing apps & trying to tweak the phone to be more user friendly for me. I have it off right now. Old phone barely responded and the battery is bloated. friend said he didn't know how I put up with that thing for so long. I'm waiting on the case to arrive but the seller hasn't even shipped it yet and it was supposed to arrive tomorrow.

@Ron Van, how will you cover up the old hole?
Looks great, Ron! What do you plan to do about the hole in the floor?
My plan is to take some hardwood material from the area where the shower will be. I am confident I can patch it so it will be undetectable. I had to patch a spot in the bedroom and it came out great. This one will be even greater. I’ll replace the material under the shower pan with plywood.

Worst case scenario you can always put an area rug down. LOL. But hopefully it will work out. I'm looking forward to seeing the progress.
I found the camera app on my new phone and tested it out. 1st pic wasn't great. 2nd pic is nice. This is my kitty, Itsy. I was zooming in and it still looked clear. Old phone this would have been fuzzy.
1680662307358.png

I zoomed until only the eyes filled my screen and it was still sharp.

Yeah, I really like the camera on this phone. I'm hoping they will send my case soon. It's a bit awkward to hold. I need to find a good screen protector as well. Something that won't leave smudges from my oily hands.

My plan is to take some hardwood material from the area where the shower will be. I am confident I can patch it so it will be undetectable. I had to patch a spot in the bedroom and it came out great. This one will be even greater. I’ll replace the material under the shower pan with plywood.
I should have been more complete with my answer. The first step is to put a plywood patch on the bottom of the hole (from the crawlspace side) supported with 2x4s on the floor joists. then a 3/4" plywood piece to replace the floor sheathing. Then the hardwood repair can start. I will remove three pieces of hard wood at varying places. That way when the new pieces are patched in, they are not all lined up and obvious.

Floor Patch 001.jpg
I will remove the three pieces like this.

Floor patch 002.jpg

Everything above the blue tape will be under the shower and will just be plywood. This little project is not high on the list right now. Anything having to do with the shower will be the last step of the project. The next steps is to finish the drain lines for the toilet and vanity. I will run a drain for the shower to the vicinity of the shower and cap it off for now.

Floor Patch 003.jpg

When you're finished I suspect one would have to be on hands and knees to find it (and maybe not even then).

Ron, I figured you'd have to put something underneath it. Btw, there is a sister forum called flooringforum.com where you can show your progress, get tips & advice etc. Folks over there have some creative ways of approaching things. What you're planning to do sounds good to me.

I checked the status of my longer screws order and Fedex said it's still sitting at the facility where it was last month. I ordered it a week ago and it was supposed to arrive by the 3rd. But it's been sitting there since last Friday. The new ETA was next week on the 12th. I couldn't cancel bc it was already sent but couldn't do a return bc it hasn't arrived. So I called Lowes to explain the situation and that I plan to use them sooner than the 12th and that I highly suspect they won't arrive then as I think Fedex has probably lost the package- not for the first time. And that with Fedex's history with me, it would not arrive until next month if at all. So she ordered a refund and I found a store a little over an hour away that has the screws in stock. I ordered for curbside pickup there. I had some trouble and was on the phone with the associate who walked me through finding something on the website that let me change some settings so it stopped giving me an error when I tried to order. She made sure I successfully ordered before moving on to the next customer. I appreciated that. I did the survey (which was supposed to be 3 questions but ended up being 5 questions) afterward. I'm waiting for the order to be ready so I can go pick it up in Leesville. It's near a Walmart that is near a Marble Slab Creamery.

I forgot to mention that this morning I woke up to Rupert making jerking motions on top of me and then I realized he was throwing up. He puked on my cardigan and shirt so I had to get up and change. I was really struggling to get up this morning too. My body felt heavier than normal and just scooting to the edge of my bed was a problem. But I made it and I didn't fall back down when I stood up-- this time. I hauled out a heavy trash bag because my brother is still not taking trash out. He's also refusing to e-mail the people he needs to e-mail to get his tax info and is acting like the problem will just go away. He's mad at Mom bc she told him that if he doesn't get the info she needs, she won't do his taxes for him. He argued that she doesn't need all of the info and she explained that she does bc otherwise its fraud. He doesn't seem to understand that. He also doesn't seem to understand that if he doesn't do his state taxes they will charge him a penalty fee even if he doesn't owe anything. He acted like sending cc e-mail to 2 people is so difficult. Ugh.

At least it is nice and cool today, but still no sign of Sir Hammington.

Please don't rat me out to the hummus police. My GNB hummus was an overwhelming success.
For your own protection, stop calling it hummus. (Did you even use tahini, lemons, and olive oil in it?) Or at least be slick about it: you can write it like hummus, but if anyone asks, pronounce it "HYOO-miss" and insist it's inspired by a Paula Deen recipe for bean dip.

Well, I changed my mind on the hole patch and just put two 2x6s under it rather than plywood. Everything on top will remain as I said earlier.

6C4F0B53-A4E7-40CD-ADAA-A12A79D7A72D.jpeg

While I was in the crawlspace I also extended the toilet drain to the point where it will connect with everything else right before it joins the main house drain to the septic. You can also see the new flexible vent line above the drain line. There’s another clean out right there too.

FA6087B4-725B-452E-B10D-908204151234.jpeg

I made some standoffs to hold the 3”drain line at the proper slope

21AC9500-467E-4A00-981C-25D8F2372145.jpeg

This is under the toilet. There’s a clean out there. It looks like it’s up against the foundation but really, there’s about 13” between the clean out and the foundation. Code wants 18” … oops!
D68166DF-47A1-4871-94F1-91DA3085248D.jpeg

These are the jacks I installed last year to level the floor. There’s 50’ on this side of the house and 50’ on the other side. I made the beams out of two 2x6s with a piece of 1/2” plywood glued in between. Then they’re bolted and screwed together.
ACA4A004-1C39-4B2B-8F45-CF1F9D444DED.jpeg

As with chili hummus lovers may take liberties in it's preparation using materials on hand or taste preferences. The toasted sesame oil worked wonders, lemon gave it some tang and minced garlic for added flavor. It was better than store bought hummus but (as with chili) being store bought doesn't make it real either. Like chick peas the white beans have a somewhat bland taste so the sesame oil, garlic and lemon stepped in. I may try the beans in a salad tomorrow in lieu of chick peas and see how that goes.

I got a txt this evening from Ruby. She was at church taking care of the Wednesday night children. She said I needed to go down to the end of our street and pick up a wounded cat. The lady that lived down there was holding it. Somehow, Ruby has become the neighborhood animal lady. Anyhow, I went down there and holy moly, what a house these people have! A huge lot with a big house and multiple buildings on it but the most impressive thing was this retaining wall.

B48CD7D6-5286-489B-BCC4-FB84F740DAC8.jpeg

ADABBF8A-A5AE-49DF-8DF8-7AF541FD1F64.jpeg

I wish I could have got more pictures but I felt weird about photographing someone’s house.

Latest posts

Back