What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to live in Carlisle, PA. I loved it there.

Thanks @zannej

I ran into the bariatric surgeon at work today, that I have seen in the past, he told me to keep ip with the omeprazole and when I see GI on the 11th, ask him to do an EGD (if he doesn't mention it), so I can work on insurance taking this lap-band out.

Today has been rough emotionally at work, 30 year old with abdominal pain just since yesterday.... went to surgery for a colostomy because she more than likely has colon cancer. Then another lady who just lost her brother a month ago, from cancer, diagnosed with metastatic lung cancer.

2 weeks ago, I had to call my ex husband at the request of his best friend, and tell him that he had cancer. His friend passed last week at 52. I'm jist glad I was able to call him so he could see his friend before he went out of town.

I think that I am just up to my eyeballs in medical traumas and thinking about them.

I have an exit plan for a different job, however..... I can't change until the house is ready because I have to have a private office and such.

1 more hour, then I get to go home

You need to pass two metal detectors, then a search of all purses and bags, and the Liberty Bell has 4 armed guards who watch your every move. I knew carrying my gun would be a headache flying out East, so I decided to carry my "quick open" folding knife. I caught hell because it extends (folded) beyond palm width, but since I openly showed them, they told me to just keep it in my pocket, and not clip it to my side. Yeah, I sense they knew I was a retired cop just from the jargan spoken.

Spicoli, my air fryer can act as an oven as well as an air fryer- it is dual purpose. My old air fryer did not need to pre-heat to do air frying. This one can air fry without pre-heat. One of the reasons I really enjoyed using an air fryer was not having to pre-heat. I'm also impatient and don't want to wait 15 to 20min for a preheat of something that cooks in 7 to 15 min. It works fine without pre-heat.

The bridge reminds me of the one in Sleepy Hollow for some reason. I think that was a covered bridge as well. Looks pretty neat.

Shan, that sounds rough. I don't know what your relationship is like with your ex, but that must have been upsetting for him to lose his best friend. Upsetting for his best friend to be dying as well. I have a friend who is an oncology nurse and she said it was rough dealing with the terminal patients but that she always tries to make them as comfortable as possible. She had previously worked at a nursing home situation where most of the patients were either there for rehab or were terminal. She deals with fewer dementia patients in oncology now.

Woke up to cats fighting again. My brother was already at work. I need to talk to him about scheduling the main offender for testicular annihilation. All the testosterone has him so aggressive he's attacking his sisters & brothers & they are all agitated when he's around.

I put low expansion spray foam in the hole for the shelf on my wall surround. I was surprised to see how shallow it was and that the plastic is much thicker in that area, but I wanted some noise reduction on top of reinforcement. Less of a hollow sound with foam inside. I'm currently letting it dry. I also vacuumed around the tub again. Was having trouble with the plastic getting caught and missing stuff in crevices so I took a scrap piece of foam board from the lap desk project, found a disposable straw in the trash, figured out which drill bit was about the same size as the straw, poked a hole in the middle of the circle of foam board, popped the straw through and secured it with hot glue. The suction from the shopvac holds it against it. I still had to put my hand on it to keep it from tipping and coming off, but it worked pretty well at getting into crevices. I'm going to try to improve the design a bit more so it will stay on by itself without tape. Maybe I can make a makeshift sleeve that fits around the end of the shopvac hose and I can hot glue that together.
I'm waiting for dust to clear before I go back in and start cutting plastic and setting up to apply aquadefense.
1683035684691.png

Well, I forgot how to make cookies, or at least I don't know how to make them in an electric oven... I had 4 Giant cookies that wouldn't get done in the middle, even after 45 minutes... They looked like Cow patties. I took them out of the oven and they broke apart, but I put them on a plate and put them in the fridge.

Now, they are smaller Cement Cow patties that could be used in battle. I don't know the science of why that happened, but it did. Maybe I'll do another batch in the shape of Chinese throwing stars and then throw them at the fence and see if any stick!

I can't help on the cookies since I absolutely suck at baking.

Got some pork chops marinating in garlic salt, ginger, & mirin.

Got the plastic cut, ran a cement board screw through the holes from the closet side to go through the cement board and then put toothpicks through so I will know where they are. Once the taping and thinset is done I'll get the surround back up and repeat that step to get a sort of pilot hole and then I'll use the holesaw and larger drill bit from the face of the surround. My friend will help me with that part to ensure everything is lined up and the panels go on smoothly. I marked the center of the back piece but will need to mark the center of the shower area to make sure it is lined up properly. The top board has cracks in it that I don't like so I'm going to use a small drill bit and pre-drill where the roofing nails need to go in to reduce the chance of cracking. I'll also use silicone around the nail-- especially the part that will be over the cement board and not over the surround so it will have a slight amount of cushioning.

Struggled with getting the stupid printer to print my brother's tax forms so they can be mailed in. They would not go electronically for some reason. It took an hour to get them to print. Once it was done I packed the printer up, found the receipt, and I'm returning that piece of junk to the store. It only printed 2 documents and the ink says it is 1/3 gone already. Even the colored ink is showing as having use when it has only printed black and white.

Brought in a case of water but now my back is bugging me more so I've got the vibrating heating pad going to see if it helps.

I made hummus yesterday. Even though I eyeball everything, I decided for the benefit of readers of this thread to try and pay at least a little attention to amounts.

So at around 8 in the morning I poured about 1/2 of a 1lb bag of dry banzos into my slow cooker, covered it with about 2" of water, and added about 1 tbsp of salt (a pile in my palm about the size of a quarter) and 1/4 tsp baking soda (in my palm it'd be about half a dime), then turned the slow cooker on high.

At about 3pm I turned off the slow cooker and tested the banzos. I could easily mush one against the roof of my mouth. It still had a skin but it deteriorated easily and was not tough. I had to run an errand but I returned at 4:30pm to drain the water and dump the now-warm banzos into my food processor.

To this I added about 1/2 a cup of tahini, maybe a little more, and probably 3 or 4 tbsp of olive oil, and another shake of salt (probably about a pinch or two). I also added the juice of half of one lemon and half of one lime just because I had half of each laying around, but one whole lemon would have been fine too.

It turned out these proportions were perfect and after a minute or two of running the food processor my hummus was creamy and without much perceptible grain. I did stop the food processor from time to time and scrape the walls downward with a rubber spatula to make sure everything was getting mixed together.

Then I spatula'ed it into a bowl and did the crater of olive oil thing, sprinkled with paprika and za'atar.

Made Air Fried potatoes again... Somebody stop me from doing that everyday! The gallon Ziplock bag is an empty canvas of creativity in the Oyster of a World! I added

1 Tsp Garlic Salt
1/2 Tsp Italian Herbs
1/2 Tsp Curry Powder
1/2 Tsp Garam Masala
1 1/2 TBSP Olive Oil

Shook it and baked it... My oven air fryer pre heats faster than I can mix it up, so that's good... I cut some into fry shape and some into discs because they are easier to turn halfway through... I decided not to turn the fry shaped ones as an experiment because they are a pain to turn, and they ended up fine. I will skip that step and just fry them for 18 minutes, taking 2 minutes off the time because I won't be breaking the oven seal.

My only question is... Is a Potato a Potato always a Potato as far as carbs? Does an Air Fried Potato have less carbs? I know that Dr. Internet has long articles about that, but I'm scared to find out the answer is Yes because then I would buy 18 bags of potatoes and eat nothing else, and since you are what you eat, I would have those white growth things that happen on Potatoes on my body soon...

Now I'm going to try Hockey Pucks again... or Cookies or whatever.

Sounds good, Flyover... But you didn't say how you got rid of the taste.
Funny.

Really though, if you found your hummus had a strong flavor that was hard to get out of your mouth then I suspect you might have used too much lemon juice. It probably wasn't the tahini, because tahini is almost more of a sweet flavor like peanut butter, but flatter. If it had been the olive oil or the salt it would be obvious because it would just taste like those. If it had been the garbanzos then your hummus would be too caky and thick. So if it looked okay and then you tried it and it was too strong and had too much zing (in many foods lots of zing is pleasant but not in hummus) then I think it was the lemons. Also did you use fresh lemons?

Made Air Fried potatoes again... Somebody stop me from doing that everyday! The gallon Ziplock bag is an empty canvas of creativity in the Oyster of a World!
I approve of this, and do it all the time myself. Sometimes season salt and nothing else is perfect. Sometimes I want dried parsley and black pepper flakes, maybe even a teeny bit of flour premixed with a tiny pinch of baking soda. Finely diced habaneros would be welcome if I lived alone. If you have chipotle powder, mix it into a small bowl of sour cream and now you have the perfect dip for those.

Is a Potato a Potato always a Potato as far as carbs?
I have no idea about the carbs but I prefer russets or golds for any kind of frying/sauteeing/air frying.

I am tempted to get a small air fryer just for potatoes and such. I have been afraid to purchase one for fear that it would just become another unused item in my kitchen (like my Fry Baby).

In particular I was considering the Instant Pot Vortex 4-in-1, 2-quart priced at $40 if aqua is acceptable.

Last edited:
Funny.

Really though, if you found your hummus had a strong flavor that was hard to get out of your mouth then I suspect you might have used too much lemon juice. It probably wasn't the tahini, because tahini is almost more of a sweet flavor like peanut butter, but flatter. If it had been the olive oil or the salt it would be obvious because it would just taste like those. If it had been the garbanzos then your hummus would be too caky and thick. So if it looked okay and then you tried it and it was too strong and had too much zing (in many foods lots of zing is pleasant but not in hummus) then I think it was the lemons. Also did you use fresh lemons?
No, it's just the taste of the Garbanzos plain. I can't do it... Some people can't eat Lentils, but I did for 8 weeks in a row with Rice for my detox, and still eat them almost every day, just a preference and nothing more than that I guess.

I saw a blender recipe that used sesame seeds rather than tahini That might work better for me as I have other uses for sesame seeds such as Korean bulkogi. Plus sesame seeds store better.

I loved a bread that used to be sold as a brown and serve item. It was called French bread but was generously covered with sesame seed. There were two little loaves in a pkg and I could eat both. I just browned them, broke in half, and pierced each half with a knife for a generous glob of butter. Makes me hungry just thinking of them.

I am tempted to get a small air fryer just for potatoes and such. I have been afraid to purchase one for fear that it would just become another unused item in my kitchen (like my Fry Baby).

In particular I was considering the Instant Pot Vortex 4-in-1, 2-quart priced at $40 if aqua is acceptable.
Well, next time you need a new range, get one with a built in Air Fryer... I'm loving my Frigidaire so far...

I don't understand "professional" bakers / chefs... I like some shows, but a majority of them wrap their meats in Aluminum Foil, so I can't tolerate them long enough to try their recipes...

Now, this cookie recipe I'm trying from a "professional" baker calls for me to preheat the oven to 350 THEN put the cookie dough in the fridge for 40 minutes... On what planet does it take 40 minutes to preheat an oven?

I think the lengthy preheat is to thoroughly heat the metal liner so as to reduce the radiant heat surges of off/on cycling to maintain temperature.

Back