What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, my brother, who lives in North Carolina, calls me at 3am Tuesday morning. I didn’t answer because I turn off my ringer most of the time, especially at night because nothing good happens at 3am. He leaves a voice mail saying he was assaulted and is in the ER about to go into surgery because he has bleeding on the brain.

I finally get ahold of him this morning and this is the story he tells me…

My brother’s name is Dan. An acquaintance of his (I’ll call him Jim. I don’t know his real name but it’s easier to tell the story if he has a name), calls my brother and says he is having trouble and needs a place to stay for a couple of days. My brother, Dan, says okay.

Jim comes over on Monday and tells My brother, Dan, that the people at his previous place he was staying was trying to poison him. A little later, Jim accused my brother, Dan, of putting spyware on his phone. Jim demanded that my brother take the spyware off his phone. Dan said that he couldn’t take the spyware off since he didn’t put any spyware on his phone.

A little later, Jim steals my brother’s house keys and goes out to buy cigarettes. My brother had just changed the locks on his house and by this time Dan realized that he didn’t want Jim to have a key. When Jim got back, Dan asked for the keys back. The spyware episode plus wanting the keys back set Jim off and he slugged my brother (who is 73) knocking him down. Dan thinks he may have hit his head then but doesn’t really remember.

Then, Jim takes my brother’s phone and holds him captive for 5 hours. Jim is a big guy. Dan says Jim is twice his size. My brother finally distracts Jim somehow and runs out the door to a neighbor’s house and they call the police.

I imagine the charges should be at least battery, kidnapping (or some form of imprisonment) and possibly attempted murder. We’ll see what happens.

This is Dan after surgery

image000000.jpeg

Holy hell, Ron!

I've had a couple of friends who had schizophrenia, and one of my in-law extended family members has paranoid delusions, but none of them were ever violent. In fact all three are some of the sweetest and kindest people I've ever met.

It sounds like "Jim" ought to be in professional care and sadly it sounds like that will end up being correctional care, which is unlikely to be rehabilitative. (What a waste of life.) I don't know Jim's background, whether he's ever done anything like this before, but yeah those charges you named sound applicable. How long and how closely did "Dan" know "Jim"?

Terrible news, I hope your brother recovers quickly and without lasting damage.

Last edited:
Ron, sorry about Dan... I knew one guy with schizophrenia, and like Flyover says, he was otherwise normal and peaceful. The only violent people with schizophrenia that I have seen are on TV, one on the season finale of Blue Bloods just recently.

I hope Dan remembers enough about the crime to lock "Jim" up in an institution forever.

Sounds like paranoia maybe paranoid schizophrenia.
That's what I said too, though let's not forget we're doing armchair diagnosis. I've seen otherwise normal people act like that when they had a couple too many beers and their favorite team lost.

~~~
Today I had planned to make more headway on the dresser but I ran out of time. (Or maybe I squandered it on spent it producing valuable content for this forum.) Tonight I can probably at least drill some holes in the top where the side pieces attach. I still need to go around to the cookie-cutter-McMansion dumpsters and pick up some pieces for the back and bottom.

Good Evening Ladies, Gentleman...
Only up because waiting for the damn cat to come in...But if she is not in the next 30 minutes, (12:00am) then she is out for the night and wanted to be in bed at 9:30... You were speaking about cats as hunters a few pages back, since we got this cat three or four years ago, she grew up as just another dog... the boys Leniie and Car taught her how to drink out of the toilet, and to fetch things... At the other house she would bring home rabbits and squirrels... and always eat the heads first, supposedly it tasted like cotton candy to them... One night she ate a mole beside me and sounded pretty gross chewing on the bones, then she was nice enough to leave me the intestines to clean up... In this house, we've seen no mice in the house, garage or workshop, and the neighbours thank us all the time because they have no mice around either... When we first moved into this house a year and a half ago, She was bored, cuz she found no mice in the house, so she snuck a mole into the house, saw it scurrying around the livingroom baseboards, but she caught it, and ate it... She is a very good hunter. So far this summer she has caught three chipmunks, but two played dead, and when she walked away, they took off...

So, the vegetable garden is all in, and doing very well so far... also got the bug zapper wired into the shed... Did two hours at the gym today, and had an excellent workout... Lost 12 pounds since February, but it seems to have stopped, so going to have to work harder at it. Also, not sure if I said this already, but also cut out all gluten. Feel so much better since we have done that... My new problem is every day for the last 4 days, I become groggy like high sugar, but my sugars have been perfect for the last few weeks... but I get groggy as I said, and fall into a deep sleep outside under the gazebo for about an hour. Lorie tries to wake me up, but I don't remember that. I checked my sugar when I sat down, and it was 5.4 when I woke up it was 4.8, and when I got up, walked into the house, talked to Lorie for a bit, she was telling me maybe it was my lemon intake that is causing the problem, and the walk from the patio into the house my sugar was 7.8. After my shower, my sugar was 6.4 And when I went into the gym right after breakfast my sugar was 8.2 and after a 2-hour workout, my sugar was still 8.2. Not getting it these days...

So, have to wash and wax the truck tomorrow, because we have a memorial service for my brother-in-law's dad passed away in the middle of April. They had a private family service for him... But Friday they are having a memorial service for the rest of the family and friends. You see the Brother in Law and his Dad both owned 2 Chrysler Dealerships. And every single person in the family drives Chrysler or Dodge and Jeep... We are the ONLY family members who don't... So I want my Ford Shining parked among all those Chrysler Products. They all make a point saying our Ford Pickups look great... and I always say it's a rose between all the thorns... Just a family joke...

So, as I said above, I've cut out all Gluten, and am trying to get back in shape. For years after the car accident, I popped my narcotics and drank my whiskey for chronic pain, did nothing, and gained a lot of weight. Back when I was working prior to the accident I was in good shape at 200 - 215 pounds... Got up to 300 - 320, got that down to 260 late last year, and was weighed last week or so at the Chronic Pain Doctors' office at 244... 24 more pounds to go. It's also been a year May 16th that I quit smoking. I quit once or twice, once for a year and a half, and another time for two years. But I have no desire to smoke now... I was the only one smoking for the last few years.

So, that's what's going on in my nutshell for the last few days...

Juist mentioned the cat thing above...

I'll take your word for it! I only passed high school math by bribing the teacher.
You and me both Buddy... Plus I think they were happy once I graduated, and was gone... LoL
IDK but Dan referred to Jim as younger but because Dan is 73, it’s hard to know how young younger is.
The simplest thing for Jim is a baseball bat... Sick or not, you just don't treat fellow humans the way he treated your brother, that is just wrong... I hope Dan is feeling much better, God Bless him...

Well, Ginger is not in yet, so when she decides to come home, she can sleep out on the lawn furniture for the night... I would not leave her out all night at the other house, too many coyotes, wolves, bears and Fiashers that could have got her... But here, she can have a good night's sleep out under the gazebo...

Good Night All...
Cheers~
Mike

Ron, I'm so sorry to hear about Dan but I hope he recovers quickly. I'm thinking Elder Abuse and the fact that he stole his house keys is another issue. Unlawful detainment. Paranoid schizophrenia on its own rarely leads to violence but combined with drug/alcohol use or other mental illnesses it can lead to violence. My best friend's ex has schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. So she's paranoid about things & gets violent. She beats the crap out of her current boyfriend. I wonder if this Jim guy was on drugs or if its mental illness or both.

Redneckgrump, Sounds like you've been busy. I hope you can get the blood sugar under control.

I got a curbside pickup order, got mail, and then went straight back home to nap. The heat got me again and I slept a long time. I have to go to samsclub in the afternoon today. I also need to pick up more stuff at Walmart since my brother ate some of the stuff for my mother (but he asked this time and I said I'd replace it before she had time to miss it). He's been feeling lousy. Lots of nausea and exhaustion.

Mom has a sleep center appointment on the 7th and a podiatrist appointment on the 15th.

You and me both Buddy... Plus I think they were happy once I graduated, and was gone... LoL
Just to clarify: I was not joking, I really did pass (and therefore graduate) only by bribing the teacher! He bumped my 59% to 60% or something like that.

Sometimes I feel like the Dos Equis guy.

Good Morning People...
Well, got a few hour's sleep... not as much as I wanted, but yup, the cat was all over me till I woke up... Swatted her a few times, but she just kept coming back and wanted out...

Well, starting today a little differently, having my lemon and water before my coffee... Going to see if that makes a difference...

Well, going to get the day started, it's already 20 degrees in the house and it is 25 outside, supposed to get up to 34 and humidity today, soo get my things done this morning, and then we can take it easy as it gets warm...

Don't want to put the air on yet, Lorie has the house all closed up, and that seems to keep it cooler in here...

Was going to try golf today for the 1st time in a couple of years, but it's a little warm for that... so another day...

Hope YOU all have a GREAT day...
Cheers~
Mike

Flyover, well, if my uncle's FIL could bribe the college to let his daughter in to college in & give her a degree then anything is possible. I think he paid for a whole new wing.

RedneckGrump, I hope today goes better for you.

Thus far I've been down to the workshop to put primer on some of the new trim pieces. Then I had my brother press on the wall panel just in case it started to come loose while I drilled from the inside the closet. My brother said he felt zero pushback so its on there solid apparently. I went to drill the holes and discovered that, despite getting things that said the shank was 3/8", the drill bit & hole saw arbor would not fit in my Matrix. Went back down to the workshop and dug around until I found an old cordless drill. Possibly from the 80s, but could have been from the early 2000s. Dusted it off & crossed my fingers. The bits fit so I drilled through. Hole saw made it through the fiberglass and cement board just fine but didn't want to go through the plywood. I had to stop and remove the cutoff from inside the holesaw. Even then it still gave me some trouble cutting. Did not want to go through that plywood. But it finally did. I'm going to seal the cut edges with something to protect them, but that will come later.

I need to go turn the truck around since Mom is going with me up to Alexandria later.

At the other house she would bring home rabbits and squirrels... and always eat the heads first, supposedly it tasted like cotton candy to them...
Animals in the wild always go for the Organs first, but I don't assign that many brain cells to house Terrorists. Mine wouldn't have a clue.

My new problem is every day for the last 4 days, I become groggy like high sugar, but my sugars have been perfect for the last few weeks...

So, as I said above, I've cut out all Gluten, and am trying to get back in shape. For years after the car accident, I popped my narcotics and drank my whiskey for chronic pain, did nothing, and gained a lot of weight. Back when I was working prior to the accident I was in good shape at 200 - 215 pounds... Got up to 300 - 320, got that down to 260 late last year, and was weighed last week or so at the Chronic Pain Doctors' office at 244... 24 more pounds to go. It's also been a year May 16th that I quit smoking. I quit once or twice, once for a year and a half, and another time for two years. But I have no desire to smoke now... I was the only one smoking for the last few years.
You should try a TSP of Organic Coconut Oil, like Coconut Secret Alive twice a day for clarity. If you were cutting out Sugar completely and got that weak feeling, the Coconut makes that go away because the Liver is forced to make Ketones.

Back