What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not familiar with jollof rice. I fell asleep at my keyboard and woke up about 20min ago.

I'm going to contact my State House and Senate reps to offer up a bill called the "Cat control act" or "Cat extinction act" or something like that... Basically like California, there will be border checks. Instead of Fruit like CA, it will be for cats that aren't fixed. Any cats coming in will have to have docs stating they have been fixed.

Also, any existing cats will have to be fixed. If the people can't afford it, there will be free fixing clinics if they can prove their low income. Strays will be picked up and fixed by Animal Control. With my plan, cats should be very rare here in 15 years.

If I would have gotten the actual Tazmanian Devil from the cartoon, he would have done less damage because he would have been polite and used the designated bathroom at least.

How can people think there is ANY redeeming qualities for a cat? Sure, they are cute as kittens, but they are Terroristic monsters. Before I list this house, I will have to replace a good majority of the drywall and all the flooring just to start... It will make Ron's renovations look easy.
My wife has 3 outdoor cats that are all fixed. She tells me they are hood for keeping mice away and the other day, out cameras caught one doing it’s job!

View attachment IMG_8330.mov

View attachment IMG_8331.mov

One of my neighbors near me has a cat that goes into my yard every morning and craps in the planter by my front door every 3AM. I am beyond frustrated trying to find the owner, and is making a mess and my front door smells like a toilet. I've tried being nice, but the neighbors all denied owning this little crapper. I will set a cat trap, and once found, I will drive it a few cities away and drop it off at their pound. They will never find it. I'm done being nice!

Apparently I am capable of making jollof rice that is very very tasty. My wife and I both ate two heaping platefuls. But I am not (yet) capable of making it on the level of my former neighbor. I was spoiled by having hers be my introduction to the dish.

Unlike those Titanium Hummus beans that wouldn't even shred in my food processor and wrecked my digestive system for a fortnight, I know I can make Rice.

Had an SS396, 4 times, in a 2yr tour, the FORTUNA, CA. police called the base and asked for a "respective" driver, or they would impound it.

Never should have traded for a bull.
I've been to Fortuna, Eureka, Arcata areas many times. Nice places in the Redwoods. Where you in the Coast Guard?

woke up with allergies kicking my tail. I was stumbling around and feeling like crud. Back is hurting so I'm waiting for the naproxyn to kick in before I try to cut templates for anything.
Found the 20amp switches I need for the heat/vent/light units in my bathroom. Had to get them off ebay bc they were discontinued.

I've been to Fortuna, Eureka, Arcata areas many times. Nice places in the Redwoods. Where you in the Coast Guard?

USN, NAVFAC CERTERVILLE BEACH, which no longer exists. Returned too pasture. Used to listen for fleet movements, lumber raft tugs would blank the arrays, HEN CLASS soviet subs had a signature near earths hum, 23 cy. per sec.

I read that the people that inform men what to wear each year are telling them to ditch the severely tapered jeans and chinos for 2023 but they failed to mention socks.

Last edited:
Unlike those Titanium Hummus beans that wouldn't even shred in my food processor and wrecked my digestive system for a fortnight, I know I can make Rice.
Chef John said to cook the rice for 20 minutes, then let it sit covered for 12. I ended up having to cook it an extra 10 or 15 nerve-wracking minutes. That was the only hiccup.

Jollof is somewhat more complicated than regular white rice because you have to make a sauce for it out of various nightshades, and saute tomato paste and onions and spices, but yeah I'd say it was pretty simple.

USN, NAVFAC CERTERVILLE BEACH, which no longer exists. Returned too pasture. Used to listen for fleet movements, lumber raft tugs would blank the arrays, HEN CLASS soviet subs had a signature near earths hum, 23 cy. per sec.
Yeah, wow, that's really out in the middle of nowhere! Did you ever get into Eureka? We liked the Somoa Cookhouse.

Samoa Cookhouse

I was working on a Harbor Porpoise survey one year, a long time ago, and we were overnight in Arcata. We decided to go out to the Arcata Micro brewery after work and it was a tiny room with only a couple of tables in it. I was sitting there and looked up and way up in the rafters there was a little chalk board that said, "BB King Here tonight". I thought it was a joke and said so.

The bartender spoke up and said, No, he's really going to be here. I'm thinking...where? this place is barely big enough for two tables! The bar-keep explained that, behind this wall behind me, there is a large ballroom...He'll be in there. I looked out the window and realized there was a line forming around the place so I asked the bar-keep how we could get in to see BB King. The Bartender said, You're already in...Just go through this door and sit down...So we did! I drank so much beer that night and I barely remember anything but they tell me I had a good time.

Luckily, the next day it was foggy (it usually is there) and we had to delay the survey flight until the fog cleared which gave me enough time to recover from the BB King thing.

Yeah, wow, that's really out in the middle of nowhere! Did you ever get into Eureka? We liked the Somoa Cookhouse.

Samoa Cookhouse

I was working on a Harbor Porpoise survey one year, a long time ago, and we were overnight in Arcata. We decided to go out to the Arcata Micro brewery after work and it was a tiny room with only a couple of tables in it. I was sitting there and looked up and way up in the rafters there was a little chalk board that said, "BB King Here tonight". I thought it was a joke and said so.

The bartender spoke up and said, No, he's really going to be here. I'm thinking...where? this place is barely big enough for two tables! The bar-keep explained that, behind this wall behind me, there is a large ballroom...He'll be in there. I looked out the window and realized there was a line forming around the place so I asked the bar-keep how we could get in to see BB King. The Bartender said, You're already in...Just go through this door and sit down...So we did! I drank so much beer that night and I barely remember anything but they tell me I had a good time.

Luckily, the next day it was foggy (it usually is there) and we had to delay the survey flight until the fog cleared which gave me enough time to recover from the BB King thing.

The 1st beer bar on the south side was our stop, easy exit so. to FERNDALE. A waitress at the sw corner of main & cv bch. dr. was a well accomplished swing dancer. Used to swing hay bales for extra cash. Liked the clean air and closely guarded local associations.

Ron, my dad has a story kinda like that about ... I think it was Leonard Cohen. My dad and his friends were on their way to see Cohen play in the middle of nowhere somewhere in the Middle East where he lived, but there was a flood or something blocking the road and they had to stop in a rest area or something for the night. There in the corner was Leonard Cohen, stopped by the same flood. They all ended up just hanging out and he played songs on an acoustic guitar.

I once accidentally saw Dianne Reeves at a blues & rib fest. Had no idea she or anyone of her caliber was gonna be there, just noticed there was a stage set up for live music so my wife (then-girlfriend) and I sat down on the grass with our food. I was listening to a lot of Dianne Reeves at the time and I sat down and said "It'd be cool if Dianne Reeves was singing", thinking I was telling a joke. Then she came onstage and was tremendous.

I tried cormeal biscuits (Pillsbury frozen) in the air fryer and they turned out great in less than 15 minutes. I think the air fryer would be good for roasting coffee beans if I had a good source for un-roasted beans. I can only imagine what freshly roasted and ground beans might yield. I would try peanuts in the shell but the instructions said single layer. That wouldn't be enough to bother with.

I like Dianne Reeves version of Stormy Weather.

Biscuits sound good. Trying to cut back on the carbs with mixed results.
My body decided today was a rest day. Still never got the coordination to handle a knife/box cutter for cutting templates and I'm feeling exhausted. I just had to figure out how to get things to not be underlined because Rupert stomped on the keyboard and selected all of my text and underlined it somehow. He's been sleeping on me. I went to check on Mom to see if she needed anything and he followed me. He climbed on my shoulder so I set him on the table with the cat food and he ate a little and then came back to see me again. He's my cuddle buddy.

I tried cormeal biscuits (Pillsbury frozen) in the air fryer and they turned out great in less than 15 minutes. I think the air fryer would be good for roasting coffee beans if I had a good source for un-roasted beans. I can only imagine what freshly roasted and ground beans might yield. I would try peanuts in the shell but the instructions said single layer. That wouldn't be enough to bother with.

I like Dianne Reeves version of Stormy Weather.
Never heard of Dianne Reeves, but I have probably never heard of 800 other Jazz / Blues singers... BB of course, not under a rock, although I do look like Sammy Hagar.

An Air fryer wouldn't work, the beans need to be rotated. The chaff released would be a major problem also. You could try a Whirley Pop on a grill or stove... Call a local Mom and Pop coffee joint to see if they sell Raw beans.

although I do look like Sammy Hagar
Wow, what a coincidence. That was my mental image of you all along, only without the long curly hair.

BTW Sammy Hagar looks kind of like if Val Kilmer had had a rougher life:
Screen Shot 2023-05-29 at 22.37.29.png

Roasting your own beans is hardcore coffee snob stuff! I say go for it, Eddie (and you can always take stuff out of the air fryer and turn it periodically), but then you'll have to do a pourover for sure.

You can make a coffee-like drink out of dandelion roots, which you have to chop up and roast yourself. Apparently the Confederate soldiers used to make it because their supply chains were always going down. I might try it sometime.

Trying to decide if I'm gonna start making my own charcoal someday. Part of me thinks it'd be fun and satisfying, part of me thinks it's a big waste of time and energy and firewood. Reminds me a lot of the maple syrup I make every other year.

Back