What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My french fry cutter arrived. I haven't tried it yet. It may have been an honest mistake (from using a stock photo) but the item received was not as pictured. The one pictured had a lever actuated vacuum seal to clamp it to the counter top. The one received has four rubber feet. I went through the eBay request to return process offering to keep the item if they would refund a couple of bucks. Instead I was immediately refunded the full price and permitted to keep the item. That's not what I wanted but the system didn't provide an option.
In the photo you shared earlier I did not see the lever as connected to the feet in any way; I thought it was purely to move the "sled", pushing the potato through the blades.

In the photo you shared earlier I did not see the lever as connected to the feet in any way; I thought it was purely to move the "sled", pushing the potato through the blades.
It was on the other side near the rear bottom.Here's the one I received vs the one ordered.

1686950282131.png1686950535514.png

Last edited:
A couple of nights ago I had potato wedges. I used an apple corer/slicer and had 8 potato wedges and a core. I rinsed the wedges and dried them in the fryer. Then I took them out to add oil and seasoning.

I decided to turn an old dovetailed drawer frame into a small low table. The drawer frame will become the skirt, and I've designed the legs and top so they'll all fit together like a puzzle with the skirt more like a collar holding everything in place, in theory without glue or fasteners. I'll take pics when it's done, hopefully sometime next week when I get time to work on it.

Meanwhile my two older kids have taken to keeping worms as pets--each one has a big red solo cup with dirt and leaves and tiny bits of vegetable waste that they moisten and change often. These are kept outside. At first I discouraged this as torturing the worms, but eventually I realized they really are taking great care of those worms. So now I'm encouraging them to take the next step and start worm composting. I'm reading up on it as a refresher because I learned about it once but forgot most everything. I think I'll look for empty cat litter pails, a big one for each of them.

Last edited:
The repair shop for my rider called me today. They are done with it already, and the also did what I asked and changed oil filter, oil, fuel filter and sharpened my blade. They are supposed to deliver it Monday. I am sooo excited. They original said 2 weeks because of waiting on parts for recall, however the part showed up the day the picked it up.

I went through the rest of the stuff in my moms storage unit. Kept a few.things, gave my daughter a few.things.... there was a lot of clothes but most were dry rotted and some other stuff that I don't want. Hopeful to have it cleaned out while I am off this week.

Had 2 Dr. Appts today, they went fine. Definitely have OCD.... thankful that I am not Howie Mandel level, and I am trying to be more cognizant of what I am doing and why.... had a few profound moments about myself the past 2 weeks.... maybe more on that later.... because it is funny, but also not.

Hoping to work on moving the bigger furniture on the back porch tomorrow so that when windows show up, it's ready to go.

I have found that during all these weird changes since having Covid that I absolutely don't handle being outside for long when it is 75+ outside. I was at her storage unit for an hour and was so hot, nearly panicky and lightheaded and nauseous. Sat in the car with the a/c blowing on me and I felt a decent bit better almost immediately. A cool shower when I got home helped a bunch.

I jist have to learn to work in baby steps instead.of full throttle..... and with LISTS! Lol

I distinctly remember my greatest experience ever eating an apple. I was sitting in my car, and it was around 2007, give or take a couple years, and the apple was a Granny Smith. For about 2 minutes I sat in my car, parked in the driveway, and ate that apple in silence, core and seeds and all (the way I always do) and it was pure bliss. I even recognized it at the time.
Funny you should mention Granny Apples. I like Fujis but I got to visit Julio Gallo’s Granny Apple Ranch back in 1993. I flew a bunch of Fish and Game guys, including the Director, to Merced, Ca to have a BBQ hosted by Julio Gallo (of Ernest and Julio Gallo wines), to honor a local Merced Shop teacher, Steve Simmons, who had, over the years, built hundreds of Wood Duck boxes in his shop class. The Granny Apple Ranch was a wonderful place on the banks of the mighty Merced river (the river that forms Yosemite National Park).

Gallo wines used the Granny Apples to make “Boones Farm” wine. At least they called to wine. Me and my buddys called it a cheap way to get drunk.

Anyway, Julio died two weeks later in a Jeep accident.

IMG_4967.jpeg

Yeah, Boone's Farm... My first experience getting drunk after leaving the nest... Too poor for anything else, too young to get in the Bar. I'm surprised I ever drank again after the gut wrenching experience of that and MadDog 20/20... That should be dosed to 14 year old's so they never have an inkling to drink.

My BenQ 4K refurbished projector died, just kaput. The manual says it's the 2 Fan that died based on the lights flashing. It only made it 15 Months, and it's under warranty still, so it's covered with free shipping, probably be a 2 week or more turnaround. It provides an image in my scenario that is 160", and the 4K is a slight difference compared to my other projector, which I will use in the meantime.

The backup is a ViewSonic WXGA, which I read was just a step down from 4K, so I bought that one as my first experience with a projector. It's 115" in my scenario, and having gone back to it, I don't notice much difference in picture quality. Maybe the BenQ 4K is the lowest 4K available or whatever, but I will geek out on that in the Winter. The ViewSonic never failed, and the lamp has made it 5500 hours, which is 500 more than it was supposed to. A new lamp is $60 and the replacement is DIY, real easy.

I have bought a lot of refurbished electronics over the years, and nothing has had a catastrophic failure before (I call the BenQ catastrophic because I can't DIY the replacement and the very short time it lasted.) I know which brand I won't buy in the future, will look into ViewSonic 4K models in the Winter also, but my current lamp lasted 5 Years, so maybe the replacement lasts 5 Years without a non-catastrophic failure that kills the unit (Non-catastrophic because it has lasted 5 Years and anything more is gravy)...

I was going to sling the ViewSonic on Craigs with a link to the very easy lamp replacement and provide a new lamp, but I'm holding on to this unit now. Maybe I will sling the BenQ as "repaired to factory specs" or whatever they call it at half off the new price to get rid of it and apply those funds to a different 4K.

Yes, I will have to live with an image that's only 115" for a while. I know, 2nd World problems... Boo Hoo. I can still laugh when I walk past the Costco 85" cute little mini TV's that are $3000.

In other news, I said a short prayer... Thank you God for inventing the Human that invented Air Frying. Amen.

When I was 19 I had a 26 y/o roommate who was an alcoholic. He often brought Boone's Farm, the blue variety, back to the apartment. I had already gotten the partying out of my system in high school, so I'd just sip a bud lite.

So.... I put my swing together today. I actually bought it last year while my mom was in the hospital. I pulled a good one on myself assembling it alone.

20230617_131155.jpg

Thankfully I didn't have to take it apart to get the ladder of of it. I was using the ladder to hold the second leg up while I put the bolt through both legs and the middle bracket.

I have been swinging in it for over an hour now. I really need to go inside and cool off, but this is so relaxing 😌

20230617_144536.jpg

That's like something I would do, Shan.

When I need to hold stuff upright and I don't have a buddy, I attach a long bar clamp to the bottom at a right angle. Usually works well enough.

I liked this cantilevered eating arrangement but had to settle for a smaller island for my kitchen. I plan to adapt a bar stool that I have for counter height use and make a mobile base for it. The second pic shows the the bar stool I have. I plan to cut it off just below the foot rest to attach it to a half lapped X wooden base with casters.

1687043604048.png1687046046932.png

Last edited:
I have been freezing pieces of a London broil roast and chipping just enough for my meal. Last night was SOS and fries. I like to chew my beef so I don't use ground beef. Tonight I simmered enough to make a sandwich topped with cheese on toasted bread and microwaved for about 22 seconds to melt cheese (no fries tonight).

Here's the skinny for those who wouldn't dare to be out of uniform;

Does anyone still wear socks? Well the answer is…..they seem to have disappeared from the nation’s feet. But is wearing shoes without socks a recurring dilemma while the sockless trend continues. The days of ‘sun’s out, ankles out’ has now become, literally a year-round phenomenon, It’s no longer a passing whim, but there still seems to be a bit of a divided on whether you should go sockless or not.​
Not every guy is partial to wearing half-mast trousers and loafers and the conundrum of whether you do or don’t wear socks has become, sometimes a fashion styling issue. So if you are one of the many thousand, millions of men who love the sockless look, there are a few fashion rules. Keep your hems close and they should be no less than 13 or 15 in circumference, wide hems are really wrong for so many reasons only a few guys can pull it off, so really you should keep your trousers straight, skinny and fail safe.​
Choose the right shoes. The perfect shoe for the summer is undoubtedly the loafer, louche by style and looks and will look good with a slightly cropped trousers, and best with shorts, and do remember that socks do serve a purpose, like a hat, so that when the temperature dips to a brassier cold, socks will keep your whole body warm, and if your feet get cold, your core will also drop temperature to balance the drop in temperature.And slo socks do help with keeping your feet clean, as some shoes will make your feet sweat without socks, and did you know that your feet have more sweat glands than any other part of your body, perfect for a bit of bacteria!​
So, here’s the question, it’s up to you whether you wear socks or not, wearing socks is not unfashionable, but just remember, match your socks to your trousers not your shoes, and the socks should be dictated by the color of your trousers, got it? You have to keep your look-to-look coordinated so that your trousers will look and appear more fluid. You can always wear secret socks, if you need or want to give the impression of going sockless.​

I have been freezing pieces of a London broil roast and chipping just enough for my meal. Last night was SOS and fries. I like to chew my beef so I don't use ground beef. Tonight I simmered enough to make a sandwich topped with cheese on toasted bread and microwaved for about 22 seconds to melt cheese (no fries tonight).
Just don't open any C Rats!

Here's the skinny for those who wouldn't dare to be out of uniform;

Does anyone still wear socks? Well the answer is…..they seem to have disappeared from the nation’s feet. But is wearing shoes without socks a recurring dilemma while the sockless trend continues. The days of ‘sun’s out, ankles out’ has now become, literally a year-round phenomenon, It’s no longer a passing whim, but there still seems to be a bit of a divided on whether you should go sockless or not.​
Not every guy is partial to wearing half-mast trousers and loafers and the conundrum of whether you do or don’t wear socks has become, sometimes a fashion styling issue. So if you are one of the many thousand, millions of men who love the sockless look, there are a few fashion rules. Keep your hems close and they should be no less than 13 or 15 in circumference, wide hems are really wrong for so many reasons only a few guys can pull it off, so really you should keep your trousers straight, skinny and fail safe.​
Choose the right shoes. The perfect shoe for the summer is undoubtedly the loafer, louche by style and looks and will look good with a slightly cropped trousers, and best with shorts, and do remember that socks do serve a purpose, like a hat, so that when the temperature dips to a brassier cold, socks will keep your whole body warm, and if your feet get cold, your core will also drop temperature to balance the drop in temperature.And slo socks do help with keeping your feet clean, as some shoes will make your feet sweat without socks, and did you know that your feet have more sweat glands than any other part of your body, perfect for a bit of bacteria!​
So, here’s the question, it’s up to you whether you wear socks or not, wearing socks is not unfashionable, but just remember, match your socks to your trousers not your shoes, and the socks should be dictated by the color of your trousers, got it? You have to keep your look-to-look coordinated so that your trousers will look and appear more fluid. You can always wear secret socks, if you need or want to give the impression of going sockless.​
Trousers don't exist here for people that don't have office jobs where they are required to wear them. If I see them in public, I ignore them. As far as sockless, I think that's only for people that wear flip flops even though we live in the High Desert and Cactuses or Cactusii can grow in people's yards, there's no beach, no surfing and there's no pools... So, those people might be a little mental, but that's okay.

For me, it's Cargo pants all year, boots with 2 pairs of socks.

Back