What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I burn easily and don't like the sun on my skin so I wear pants, socks, slip-on shoes, and a cardigan with a hood. If I have to go out in the sun I put the hood up.

Finally got around to replacing the tape on my window where there was a gap in the glass. Really need to replace the windows at some point but that's not in the budget.

Cut my middle finger on the foil tape but didn't notice right away. It doesn't hurt but it itches and that is super annoying.

I'm waiting on my friend to recover from his dislocated thumb injury so he can come over and help finish up the bathroom.

The heat has been sapping my energy. But at least now with the gap covered on the window it feels cooler in here.

Talked to a family friend at Walmart (he's a greeter now). Both of his parents died of cancer. His younger sister has had cancer a few times. Now one of his brothers (I think older brother) has stage 4 lung cancer and was just put in hospice. I think he's only in his 50s. He never smoked but he was in the army and transported nuclear weapons. He apparently joked with his buddies that they were all going to get cancer when they got home.

I didn't get furniture moved on the back porch today, however.... my daughter and I got my moms storage
Unit emptied out.
IMG_6184.jpg

That will be $50 less a month I am spending.

Unfortunately the things left are sitting in my yside yard for now. I'm hoping that my junk guy shows up soon because I have lost his phone number. i do still have the dumpster but these items are much too big to put in there...

I got too warm earlier doing all that so now I don't feel well. Took a nap but it didn't help.

If anyone likes the Hoarders series, a new season (14) started about 3 weeks ago. I watched them all over the past few days. They are about 90 minutes if memory serves me, and 3 episodes so far.

Well done on the storage unit Shan! Love that feeling, one less thing weighing you down.

Socks with slide-on sandals is the way of the truly enlightened, a harmonious optimum of comfort, convenience, and protection. I'm grateful to pro athletes for finally bringing it to mainstream acceptability, but I'd been doing it for years.

Yes, Z... The Military is a very good way to get life changing / ending illnesses that the maggots at the VA will refuse to acknowledge. Sorry about your friend and his situation. Now, when I was 16 if one of my Brothers had said "Don't join the Military", I wouldn't have listened. I was on my own program.... That will be different for the youngins in the family. I will make sure to tell them all the BS when they are about 10, and remind them constantly so there's no chance they join.

Shan, getting rid of crap is like eating real Ice Cream that doesn't have Corn Syrup and 40 other garbage ingredients. It's like Salmon Jumping into your boat. It's like Air Frying potatoes. It's like a pure intense feeling... I remember having a few boxes of stuff when I was a kid, enough to lock in the trunk. Now I have enough crap that it will take eons to get through it all...

I had a wonderful Father's day. My son brought me breakfast to start the day then he took me to tour the Wheels Through Time Motorcycle Museum in Maggie Valley, NC. The lady on the desk let me in for free because it was FD my son said "what about me" and was about to pay. She said your with him and stamped his hand. After we toured she arranged for me to get a ride in a 41 Harley 45 with a side car. My son tried to shoot a video but only got a still shot of our backs as we departed. I'm back home, tired but happy.

Today has been a rough stomach day. I made a dumb decision and got a delicious biscuit from a nearby restaurant (potato, sausage, egg, cheese), forgetting about the gastroparesis for a moment and I am just now (13 hours later) no longer miserable and nauseous. I just don't know about myself sometimes.
Took a nap this afternoon, it was nice. I think tomorrow I will work on the back porch some, as long as it's not super hot.

I have my own storage unit that I need to go through now. I may work on it in 10 days when my next work week off comes around. Although that may clash with window install, so I may have to pay for 1 more month of that one.

Debating on wether or not to keep the dumpster after this week. 🤔. I wanted to be able to put some of these carpets in it, but I think I will just wait.

I have been thinking about what type of flooring to put out on the back porch. My dogs go in and out that way so it needs something durable and easy to clean. I am thinking about commercial carpet tiles. Like the 2x3 squares. They shampoo and vacuum pretty well.

Hope everyone had a great weekend.

@RedneckGrump I hope your MIL is doing well with her recovery, she has been on my mind.

I had a wonderful Father's day. My son brought me breakfast to start the day then he took me to tour the Wheels Through Time Motorcycle Museum in Maggie Valley, NC. I'm back home, tired but happy.
That's wonderful Eddie! I had a good Father's Day too but I'm still a little envious of your experience. My youngest daughter moved out to Alabama a year after Ruby and I (along with Ruby's mother) did. Ruby's brother and his wife moved out here (and are still living in our pool house) about 9 months ago so we had a dinner with all them yesterday. We are slowly trying to convince more family to move closer. We celebrated Father's Day and my MIL and BIL's birthday too. It was nice.

2023 006 018 Fathers day 001.jpg

Our oldest daughter, who lives in Santa Cruz, Ca. texted me, wishing a happy Father's Day. That was nice! But no word from my two boys. Kinda sad. We all get along just fine. I guess they are just too busy to think about old dad.

Before dinner, we took a pontoon ride around the lake. At least part way around. It's too big to go all the way around on a tank of gas. This is me with little Reyna on my lap and Reyna's dad, James.

2023 006 018 Fathers day 003.jpg

IMG_4879.jpeg

Attachments

• 2023 006 018 Fathers day 011.jpg
    2023 006 018 Fathers day 011.jpg
    381.9 KB · Views: 0
I started a project a couple of years ago that involved a little research and development and did a little work on it recently.

Our yard has some low spots in it that fill up with water and makes little ponds...mostly in the winter.

IMG_1384.jpeg

A normal person would probably just fill in the low spots with fill dirt but my brain wouldn't allow that. There are several problems with filling in these low spots. Firstly, It seems that there is a high spot right at the lake's edge. It's not super noticeable but enough to where it would take a lot of dirt to make the yard high enough to drain into the lake. There's also the problem of the TVA (Tennessee Valley Authority) controlling the area around the lake and they don't take kindly to altering the near shoreline. And then there's the problem of potentially directing water (inadvertently) toward the house rather than the lake. My neighbors have dug ditches to drain water so I thought I would experiment with something like that.

Two years ago, I dug some little ditches directing water to what I thought was the low point of the yard and then installed a sump pump to pump runoff water to the lake. The experiment showed that it would work.

View attachment IMG_2392.mp4

IMG_2401.JPEG

I needed to get these pipes underground for several reasons. One is because the pipes get in the way of mowing. And secondly, it looks bad.

So I started digging last week.

IMG_4962.JPEG

I ran into an underground log.

IMG_4963.JPEG

IMG_4965.JPEG

I still have more work to do but we'll see how this phase works.

IMG_4973.JPEG

This year, the weeks in the lake, especially our cove, has been really bad. Long term residence say this is the worst ever. The TVA (Tennessee Vally Authority) has several spray boats and dredgers but it's a big lake and they are spread thin. Anyway, they got out to our cove last week and sprayed some bad stuff to kill the weeds but not all them, because the fishermen like the weeds. Boaters don't.
IMG_4914.JPEG

IMG_4916.JPEG

View attachment IMG_4918.MP4

They spray Diquat, Chilated Cooper and one other chemical. They say it doesn't hurt humans or fish. I believe them 100%! ????

Well, you are stronger than me, Ron... I would tell them until they are the Alabama Valley Authority, they can Radio Edit themselves.

Ron, is your laser level bright enough for outdoor use in determining slope?

Spicoli, My dad said the Army saved his life because he was going nowhere until he joined, but it was still rough and he was exposed to Agent Orange and other crud that probably shortened his life. VA refused to acknowledge anything or help in the later years. His best friend got drafted (despite having just gotten married & having a little one on the way). Died 3 weeks after being sent to Vietnam. Never got to see his kid. His widow took 30 years before she started dating again.

Shan, that sucks about the stomach issues. Hope you're feeling a lot better now.

Redneck, how's your MIL doing?

Ron, that looks like the type of rain we get here. Really need a gutter system eventually. Although, I'd love to get a covered area out back bc the house is sort of L shaped and I'd love to have some sort of parking area there so we aren't under the oak tree and Mom won't gripe about a car port directly in front of the house looking ugly.

I'm tired and trying to stay cool. Need to get another moving blanket to hang up over the back hall doorway to keep heat out better. Cats shredded the previous one.

My new air fryer is allegedly arriving today. But it's Fedex so whether or not it even gets to the right house is uncertain.

I think tonight I will make bulkogi and rice.The online recipes differ from that of my Korean SIL so I am just going to wing it and do it stove top in the wok.

My dad wasn't on the best path before he joined the Army. 8th grade dropout. Had a cop who personally hated him & harassed him all the time. Army taught him discipline, skills, & paid for his college. He saw some messed up stuff, but he learned he wasn't dumb and he used what he learned from the Army in INS. So, it was good for him in some ways, but it caught up to him toward the end. The undiagnosed polio as an infant didn't help.

Got new shoes for the first time in a long time. Not the cheap $12 ones I usually get that fall apart. Splurged and got some on sale for $69.99. Hate to pay that much but couldn't find any comfy ones that actually fit other than those. Will wear them when I'm going to town but keep the others for around the house.

Went for Samsclub curbside pickup order-- was supposed to be ready at 5pm. Wasn't ready until 5:54pm and only bc I called and then went into the store after waiting over 30min. They hadn't even pulled the stuff yet and it had been ordered in the morning. Only 2 employees assigned to curbside and the one that came out looked like she was about to have a heat stroke. Dropped stuff off with my friend and visited.

Oven was supposed to come today but Fedex driver claimed he couldn't find the address and refused to deliver. Ugh. Also, it was 100°F outside.

Latest posts

Back