What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We bought a Thunder Shirt for Maggie who is terrified by thunder.

IMG_5141.jpeg

We had a small storm roll through today so I put it in her. She doesn’t mind wearing it, she’s been wearing it all evening but it looks like our overnight storms have dissipated so I’ll take it off before bedtime.

I was working out in the yard a few days ago and I noticed one of my air pods had fallen out of the holder. I had them clipped to a belt loop on my pants. I looked around but couldn’t find it so I tried the “Find My” app on my phone.

IMG_5113.png

It kept taking me to this place in my yard and saying “Look around!”

IMG_5110.jpeg
The app allows you to play a loud tone through the air pod to help you find it, which I did. I finally found it but I never would have without the app.

IMG_5111.jpeg

@Ron Van that's pretty nifty that it was precise enough to find it.

It's been a crazy week and a half here. One of my kids was just in the hospital from Monday to yesterday. He is finally home though and we have follow ups to further delve into what is happening.

I think my favorite part of the windows is this picture..... I know that it is crazy, bust being able to standing in the dining room and look out of the back porch into my back yard, nearly brings me to my knees. 16 years and not being about to do that apparently bothered me much more than I thought.

This is the most beautiful sight I have seen in a while..... now to get the rest of the porch closed up.....20230630_204939.jpg20230630_224557.jpg

My plan for this week off was to finish up the yard, finish up getting rid of some more things on the back porch and get started with framing on the back porch, however, that got derailed and that is ok.... our children are not replaceable.

TELCO says billing will be the same so I'm about to switch from DSL to fiber optic. The downside is that I have to choosed a fixed location as it will no longer be movable to any place I can add a phone jack. The WiFi router has a internal antenna so it won't look like a space creature on its back and the gateway box is also neat in appearance but as with most electronics there's still the excess cable and wall wart problem.

Without the units in hand it's hard to plan but my thoughts are for a small stand sized for the units and having either a shadow box rear to conceal wiring or the top and the shelf actually being thin boxes that coiled cables can be stuffed into from the rear. It needs two receptacles so an el-cheapo three foot extension cord would provide the energy connection. How have others dealt with the problem?

Saw a dead dog in the road not too far outside my front gate. It was there before my brother drove out to work. No apparent signs of injury & he looked healthy. I think it was the neighbor's dog, Mack. It's possible he was run over/hit by a vehicle without leaving marks. If so, it was likely the Fedex driver who did it. Poor thing. If it was Mack, he was a very sweet dog. And young. He wasn't fully grown. He had bloated up when I went into town early this morning and when we headed back into town after working on my bathroom the vultures had found him and there was nothing left but skin and bones.

Couldn't sleep last night and went to pick up my friend early this morning so we could work on my bathroom. First order was getting the plumbing in. Extension piece didn't work out. The 20+yr old rotozip worked to make the hole larger. Might have to change shower arms bc I think this one makes it go a bit too low. A straight shower arm might work better.

Got valve & trim in & secured-- but it wouldn't sit flush on one side so I will have to caulk, tub spout, showerhead, etc. Got trim up as well. Now all that remains is to caulk, do touch-up paint, and clean up.

I'll upload pictures later when my back isn't being so hateful. I was on my feet too long and the are swollen. My friend assembled my table saw and when we were done using it he folded it up and rolled it in to the front room. I put plastic over it to protect it from cats.

For now I'm resting with a heating massage pad on my back.

Good luck with your Son, Shan.. Windows look good.

Ron, have you tried Homeopathy for the Dogs for Thunder / Fireworks? You might have seen the Light Blue Boiron cylinders in health food stores like this...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Boiron-P...ack-of-2/725811888?fulfillmentIntent=Shipping
Here's a complete guide. It might take a week or two to work, but some Dogs see benefits right away...

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/fireworks-calm-scared-dogs/
Thanks, I’ll check into it!

TELCO says billing will be the same so I'm about to switch from DSL to fiber optic. The downside is that I have to choosed a fixed location as it will no longer be movable to any place I can add a phone jack. The WiFi router has a internal antenna so it won't look like a space creature on its back and the gateway box is also neat in appearance but as with most electronics there's still the excess cable and wall wart problem.

Without the units in hand it's hard to plan but my thoughts are for a small stand sized for the units and having either a shadow box rear to conceal wiring or the top and the shelf actually being thin boxes that coiled cables can be stuffed into from the rear. It needs two receptacles so an el-cheapo three foot extension cord would provide the energy connection. How have others dealt with the problem?
I get ads for a new internet fiber company, but they want a $25 deposit to "gauge the interest" in my area... How about No?

For your situation, I would have the router / modem where it can be hidden, completely ditch the Wifi for security and health reasons, and get Powerline Adapters. You will use one where the input comes in, then the other wherever you want it in the house, just plug it in and run a small ethernet cable to a computer.

I have 2 pairs which include the Main, then one is used for the Roku in the living room, then 2 are used for Computers in that room.

It went in our yard which probably drained into the lake. Hopefully, it will kill some lake weeds.

In California, they would have put it in the street storm drain which goes to the Sac river.
Is that just Concrete behind the liner? I saw a renovation show where they put something after the concrete, forget what it was. I would make my entire backyard a pool, the whole Acre. I would never have to mow or look at a weed again. Of course, that would take the entire 6 months of not freezing weather to fill it up, then I would have to drain it right away.

I'm happy I had that genius thought BEFORE I decided to do it, since that is hit and miss with me.

I didn't realize until a couple of days ago that Lake Guntersville is at the southernmost point of the Tennessee River. Of course I have seen it on maps but it just didn't register.
For your situation, I would have the router / modem where it can be hidden, completely ditch the Wifi for security and health reasons, and get Powerline Adapters. You will use one where the input comes in, then the other wherever you want it in the house, just plug it in and run a small ethernet cable to a computer.

I have 2 pairs which include the Main, then one is used for the Roku in the living room, then 2 are used for Computers in that room.
Too late for me, I've been on WiFi for prolly ten years and I'm hooked on the convenience of mobility with the Chromebook and the Roku. Plus I worked with C-band and Ku-band frequencies when I was with NASA (prolly well radiated). I would like to have a TV to WiFi tuner so I could watch network TV on the Chromebook as in reality it presents a larger image to my field of view than the largest of big screen TVs.

We had people with deposits in for Starlink but now they have fiber. I don't know if they lose the deposit or not.

Last edited:
Saw a dead dog in the road not too far outside my front gate. It was there before my brother drove out to work. No apparent signs of injury & he looked healthy. I think it was the neighbor's dog, Mack. It's possible he was run over/hit by a vehicle without leaving marks. If so, it was likely the Fedex driver who did it. Poor thing. If it was Mack, he was a very sweet dog. And young. He wasn't fully grown. He had bloated up when I went into town early this morning and when we headed back into town after working on my bathroom the vultures had found him and there was nothing left but skin and bones.
That reminded me that on my way back from my FD outing my son saw a big bird on the shoulder. He pulled over thinking it was a Great Horned Owl and wanted to see if it was just injured. It was a wild turkey and was dead so he left it for the scavengers. It's against the law to rehab raptors unless licensed (and have a fly-way) but I won't turn away a friend in need (furred or feathered). At one time I temporarily had a black bear cub in my kennel.

The Blacklist ending doesn't make any sense. What are the actors going to do? Something else?

Keep doing The Blacklist, it can go for 10 more seasons, it's not like it's difficult to invent criminals, and none of the actors seem to have the need to take a break.

Tied for My favorite 1 Hr. show of all time with Criminal Minds, which did a reboot at least for 1 season, hopefully more...

Spicoli, so, they would take the $ and not refund it if they decided there wasn't enough interest for fiber in the area? That sounds like a scam.

After working on the bathroom I took my friend to get some food for him & his family. Sat with them a little. The toddler (who will be 3 in August) has learned to say "Hey". He mumbled something that sounded like "come ear" but all one word. He apparently can say "Bye" and some version of Thank you. He was happy to see me. You know how cats will decide to climb on people who don't like cats? I have that problem with kids.

The extension for the shower arm didn't work out. It made the shower arm stick out too far. I may have to use a different shower arm because the current one puts the showerhead a bit lower than I'd expected. The extension didn't fit all that well anyway. Friend struggled to get it on and it wouldn't thread all the way. Then had trouble putting showerhead on-- but then realized he could remove a part and screw that on and then click it on to the showerhead. Tub spout wouldn't go on tight for some reason but I mentioned that it looked like the pipe was sloping downward a bit. Friend stuck a screw between the fitting in the wall to straighten it out and the tub spout went on tight. Escutcheon for the shower controls won't sit right on one edge so I will have to caulk around it. It sits flush where there are screws, but the lower right corner doesn't have a screw so it won't sit flush. I think its because the wall bows slightly. Caulk should help.

I found an old rotozip that looked kind of like a plunge router in the bathroom. One of my dad's old tools. It made short work of the plywood to make the hole on the closet side a little larger. We ditched the extension but the drop ell was able to slip in to the hole a bit to give the shower arm more length. Tightening screws for the controls was a bit of a pain but everything is secured now.

When my friend went to remove the hose from the air compressor, the hose shot off and hit him in the nuts. He was able to laugh about it after a few minutes though. Got all of the trim up. Friend used my aviator's tin snips to cut some of the pvc trim. The baseboard I'd previously cut for the font of the tub ended up fitting perfectly without any need for cutting. There are some rough transitions I'll have to smooth over with caulk, but overall, I'm very happy with how it looks. Need a pin punch/nail punch to get some of the brad nails flush, but hopefully that won't be a problem. I know I have a set somewhere...

Still have to put up the tp holder, towel bar, & curtain rod. Would eventually like to put in beadboard and baseboard around the room, but for now it is looking decent.

Friend was out of water, bread, & ramen noodles so I grabbed some for him at Walmart when I got more dark chocolate almonds for Mom.

Back