What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used Mother's Mag polish and a Mother's foam ball, and with about 30 seconds attached to my drill, my daughter's headlights are clear once again. First pic has only one headlight polished to see the dramatic difference.

a.jpg

b.jpg

Man, I don't know how you guys find the time to get so much done! Maybe you just don't have multiple small kids? :D

I put the moulding on one more side of my screened-in porch. Same 80 sqft screened-in porch I've been updating about intermittently on this thread for weeks. Gives you a sense of how slow I have to go...still have the long side to do, too.
I have a 2 and 4 year old and ADHD

Havasu, that looks great! I was just telling my friend who works at O'Reilly's about what you used and how awesome it turned out.

Gary, that looks absolutely amazing!

I went in to town to pick up my mother's driver's license from the bank. They made a copy of it and forgot to give it back on Friday. She called them this morning and asked if I could pick it up for her. Got mail and took some friends to Walmart. My friend's kitchen is coming along. Some of the old cabinets are still in halfway decent shape-- just might need some sanding and clearly need painting. I told him I would paint them for him. Forgot to pick them up before he went to work though. But, I'll have to get him to put them in my truck so I can take them to the workshop and see how the painting goes so they don't just get thrown in the garbage. I was thinking I could paint them white, but then I realized it might not go with the kitchen, so I can see if I can find some other paint colors. Painting can be fun. He was going to get a really cheap microwave to give to his ex so he could get his microwave back from her (now that he actually has a kitchen) but she doesn't clean and the place is so infested with roaches that there were roaches coming out from the buttons on the microwave and he doesn't want to bring it over to his place. He apparently had to hose the refrigerator out and spray the outside with roach spray because it was covered-- but he wasn't going to let her keep that fridge. Trying to find him a decent replacement microwave that he can afford now.

Kitchen before:
tumblr_ovsj2h6LuI1qkwd9ao2_1280.jpg

tumblr_ovsj2h6LuI1qkwd9ao1_1280.jpg

After:
tumblr_owhndizYGS1qkwd9ao1_1280.jpg

I need to get a better updated after pic.

Meanwhile, I got some early birthday presents: replacement jigsaw attachment, a reciprocating saw attachment, and a 15pc tungsten carbide router bits set in their own wooden box. Box is raw wood so I'm going to sand it and either stain it and coat it with poly or paint it. I might replace the hardware for the latch since the latch kind of sucks. I'm thinking of using some of the foam/padding stuff that came with some of my mother's junk jewelry she orders from wish as some padding inside the box. If I paint it, I'm trying to decide what color to use. The bits are blue, but I want the box to be easy to find-- so either red or orange. Possibly blue. I might do a test area and see how it would look stained on the bottom and if I don't like it, I can paint over it. But it definitely needs to be sanded.

On a side note, does anyone here know much about rental laws? The situation is: My friend let his bint ex-girlfriend move in to his trailer under the impression that she was buying it from him. Her tax returns were supposed to go to him as soon as she got them, but she never received them because she's an idiot and messed up on the filing-- and because the money was going to go to him, she doesn't care and won't do anything about it. She was extremely rude about the way she moved in-- insisting he get all of his stuff out as soon as he agreed to sell it to her (even though she hadn't paid a cent to him-- and still has not paid him anything).

I mentioned awhile ago that she screwed him over on his utility deposit which delayed him being able to start fixing up his grandmother's house. She had the utilities for his trailer put in her name without his authorization and her boyfriend is currently paying the rent for the lot (but neither of them are paying for the trailer itself). Yesterday, the twunt just announced to my friend that it doesn't matter that she didn't pay him for the trailer (and has no intention of paying him) because she is paying rent for the lot and therefor, he can't evict her. She also told him that because he can't do anything about it, if he doesn't get all of his stuff out of the trailer, she is going to sell it. He warned her that she's not allowed to do that because he owns it-- so she said she would sell his current girlfriend's stuff that got left in the closet because they didn't have any place to move the stuff to.

What are the rules on this? I know she's paying for the lot and she's been staying in the trailer for several months-- although it was under the pretense that she was going to buy it. I'm fairly certain she has no right to throw any of his stuff out and absolutely is not allowed to sell it, but would he have to take her to court to get her evicted? If he does have to do that, can he sue her for his court fees (not that she'd pay-- she hasn't had a job in over a year and has no intention of ever getting a job again). Any ideas?

Right now, he said he's thinking of dumping her stuff out of his trailer and having it hauled to his yard and telling her she can live in a tent (although he'd probably never follow through on that threat).

a trailer has a title just like a car, if the title is in his name, then he has proof of ownership
and he can start the eviction process
to start the eviction process, talk to your local sheriff

@zannej:

Did your friend get anything in writing from his ex before she moved in?

a trailer has a title just like a car, if the title is in his name, then he has proof of ownership
and he can start the eviction process
to start the eviction process, talk to your local sheriff
Yeah, he pretty much told her "B*** I have the title and you aren't paying me anything!" But I think she's still planning to give him trouble.
So, if he talked to the sheriff, they could tell her to vacate the trailer without having to go to court?

@zannej:

Did your friend get anything in writing from his ex before she moved in?
If you mean printed out? Sadly, No. However, there might be some text messages discussing the arrangement. I advised him to screenshot them and print them out in case he needs to show proof to the amount she agreed to pay him and the arrangement of when/why he let her move in. It was very shortly before tax returns were supposed to come in and her taxes were still set to be directly deposited to his account. There won't be any tax returns this year because she quit her job last year and hasn't worked and has no intention of working because she doesn't want him to get any $.

Your friend needs to have the sheriff serve eviction papers on her for non payment of rent
he needs to talk to the sheriff to find out the procedure in your state

Your friend needs to have the sheriff serve eviction papers on her for non payment of rent
he needs to talk to the sheriff to find out the procedure in your state
Thanks. In her case, there wasn't even a rental agreement. She had agreed to buy the trailer and pay him in full but she never made any payment and now has expressed that she has no intention of paying. IMO, that is basically theft. Especially since she started throwing his stuff out of the closet and is threatening to sell his possessions.
He may have to work out a deal with her fiance to get the fiance to pay since he lives there too. Problem is, poor guy isn't going to be able to save any $ with that shameless mooch latched on to him.

In happier news, the kittens have all opened their tiny little eyes. There are two males and two females in the litter. They are starting to crawl a bit more now.

The say she said she was not buying it was the day she should have moved out. See the sheriff. They are squatting and have no rights.

If you mean printed out? Sadly, No. However, there might be some text messages discussing the arrangement. I advised him to screenshot them and print them out in case he needs to show proof to the amount she agreed to pay him and the arrangement of when/why he let her move in. It was very shortly before tax returns were supposed to come in and her taxes were still set to be directly deposited to his account. There won't be any tax returns this year because she quit her job last year and hasn't worked and has no intention of working because she doesn't want him to get any $.
Yeah, find those texts, screenshot them, print them out, back them up to 2 hard drives and the cloud! I don't even know if claims courts will accept that but it's better than nothing. I guess they might be able to subpoena data from the cell phone records too.

I feel bad for your friend but it goes to show: always get something in writing. Always. Don't care if it's your girlfriend, your ex-girlfriend, your best friend, your mom. You just never know what crazy stuff people will pull. Even innocent misunderstandings can blow up. It feels awkward and impersonal and you'll always get people shaking their heads saying "it was different back in my day when everyone just trusted each other and helped each other out" but that's better than being in your friend's position now. Or his ex's, to be honest: ripping off other people comes with its own stress, and if you believe in an afterlife...

LOL. If that was about the tree stuff, he got our mutual friend (the one with the trailer/lousy ex problems) to come out. I watched them work-- primary guy cut the trees down and then both of them loaded up the trees/branches in to a trailer on the back of a john deer mower (which currently has the mower part removed pending repair). Second friend was driving the mower and hauling things out to a pile while more trees got cut down and the main guy was giving instructions and pushing the mower when it got stuck. They both nearly got heat stroke. I was only out there for about 10 minutes (standing in the shade) and I was sweating like crazy within a minute. They got a LOT of work done. They intend to come out earlier in the day next time. First guy took $100 and gave the other friend the $50. Other friend also fixed mom's laptop, gave tech support on her desktop (hard drive failed), and unjammed the garbage disposal (I got the glass out of it and I had the tool to turn the blades but I couldn't get it to turn).

Yeah, find those texts, screenshot them, print them out, back them up to 2 hard drives and the cloud! I don't even know if claims courts will accept that but it's better than nothing. I guess they might be able to subpoena data from the cell phone records too.

I feel bad for your friend but it goes to show: always get something in writing. Always. Don't care if it's your girlfriend, your ex-girlfriend, your best friend, your mom. You just never know what crazy stuff people will pull. Even innocent misunderstandings can blow up. It feels awkward and impersonal and you'll always get people shaking their heads saying "it was different back in my day when everyone just trusted each other and helped each other out" but that's better than being in your friend's position now. Or his ex's, to be honest: ripping off other people comes with its own stress, and if you believe in an afterlife...
Yeah. Some of it my friend brings on himself for letting the ex use him as a doormat. Although, her current fiance felt so bad about the situation, that he actually paid my friend a little bit toward the purchase of the trailer. My friend said that if the couple splits, he'll let the fiance stay and kick the girl out. She doesn't even have custody of either of the kids right now. She's unemployed and could be watching the kids-- but she has them staying with grandparents. Her son with her ex-husband is with her father and the daughter she has with my friend is staying with my friend's grandparents (until he can get a bedroom fixed up for her at his house).

On a side note, I wish I had purchased the shower and surround I'd wanted for Mom's bathroom a few months ago because it has now been discontinued on HomeDepot and the Lowes price is over $100 more. I need to see if I can find it cheaper somewhere that Lowes will price match. I wonder if Mom's Medicare part B would cover anything for it since she's unable to lift her leg high enough to step over the tub edge so she can't use her shower. Even with the shower seat that goes over the edge of the tub, she can't get in. She hasn't taken a shower since 2009-- she uses those body wipes for seniors/handicap people.

Another side note, I saw someone posting on Facebook about how she can't stand "a dam lair" and went on to kvetch that she asked someone to loan her money until she got her paycheck and the person declined (claiming they didn't have any money) and she was enraged that the person then had the audacity to spend their own money to buy themselves drinks instead of giving the $ to her. The first part had me picturing a dragon's lair full of beaver dams. Second part had me facepalming at the entitlement.
Save

Gary, I'm glad you're ok. I know there can be a bit of a recovery period from the surgery-- may have to change your diet and they might put you on some meds for awhile to prevent acid reflux or something. Mom had her gall bladder taken out awhile back.

Yesterday I was going to take my sick cat to the vet but he ran off somewhere and I haven't seen him since. I'm worried about him.

Took mom to a doctor's appointment. Her good cholesterol is great, sugars are good, bad cholesterol is a tad high, but everything looks pretty good and she lost some weight. Stopped by and visited a friend and Mom played with a 5-week old orphaned yorkiepoo-- thing is absolutely adorable. Mediated a dispute in an online game and got the parties involved to calm down.

Mom's CPAP machine finally died after 14 years. I made sure to tell the nurse and doctor so she could get scheduled for another sleep study to get a new machine asap.

I read online (which I know can be misleading at times) that Medicare Part B will sometimes pay for renovations to replace a tub with an ADA friendly shower if the doctor writes a prescription for it. Supposed to cover 80% of it according to what I read. Doctor said to let him know if it actually works and wrote the scrip. So, now I need to figure out how to go about ordering the replacement shower unit and see if we can get Medicare to cover it and whether or not Blue Cross/Shield will pay the supplemental part and so forth. According to what I read, it would also cover grab bars-- but we already have 2 of those incoming once my friend gets the stripped screws out.

Anyone familiar enough with Medicare and stuff to give advice on how to go about getting them to help cover it? For as much as she's paying per month for it, it would be nice for it to help her out on this as it is necessary and she hasn't showered in so many years because she's afraid she'll fall trying to get in.

I found this while doing a quick search...

Unfortunately for most seniors, walk in bathtubs are not considered to be durable medical equipment by Medicare and therefore Medicare will not pay for the cost of a walk-in tub nor will they contribute to the cost of installation. ... Even with all this support, there is no guarantee of Medicare's assistance.Apr 1, 2016
Does Medicare Pay for Walk-in Bath Tubs? Is Other Financial ...
https://www.payingforseniorcare.com/financial.../walk-in-bathtubs-medicare.html

I used Mother's Mag polish and a Mother's foam ball, and with about 30 seconds attached to my drill, my daughter's headlights are clear once again. First pic has only one headlight polished to see the dramatic difference.
Havasu, you inspired me! I bought a Mother's kit and did the headlights on my car today. It was tricky since my Dewalt died, so I was using a corded power drill where you get variable speed by trigger pressure alone, but I got it done. They look fantastic.

All this work on Saturdays, I'm really lucky God hasn't struck me down in a pillar of fire yet! :D

Latest posts

Back