What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I asked PizzaHut on Twitter a hypothetical question about what they would do if a manager was stealing supplies, clocking in and leaving, editing employee clocks to make it look like they worked less hours, etc. I didn't expect a response. They sent me a private message and asked for more details. So, I just ratted out my brother's boss. And my brother realized that if the store shuts down, he qualifies for unemployment while he looks for another job.

It was probably for the better, I hate being a rat but if you are not nothing seems to happen these days.

You did the right thing zanne

crooks need to be turned in, especially if they are stealing from the workers

question, What is wrong with ya'll over in Louisiana?
You guys are giving us rednecks a bad reputation :hide:
The redneck SOP [standard operating procedure] if a boss is ripping you off. Is to kick his *** n the parking lot
He will not call the cops. because then he has to admit to theft/fraud
:)

Last edited:
Today I reached my expiration date at least as far as a working stiff. Retirement is officially here come 3:00 this afternoon. I have to make it thru a cake at 9:00 break and a pizza and wings party at lunch time, lots of hand shaking and then my 44 year run is over.

Thinking about it that’s about 70% of my life, wow no wonder I’m ready for a change.

I have no plans to sit on the back porch and fad away. As of today I have a couple job offers, but a full time job is not what I’m looking for. I’m thinking what I would like to do is some teaching in some form or another so maybe I will look into that. Lots of projects lined up as well.

Really looking forward to tomorrow when I can tell someone for the first time “ I don’t know how I ever found time to work!”

Today I reached my expiration date at least as far as a working stiff. Retirement is officially here come 3:00 this afternoon. I have to make it thru a cake at 9:00 break and a pizza and wings party at lunch time, lots of hand shaking and then my 44 year run is over.

Thinking about it that’s about 70% of my life, wow no wonder I’m ready for a change.

I have no plans to sit on the back porch and fad away. As of today I have a couple job offers, but a full time job is not what I’m looking for. I’m thinking what I would like to do is some teaching in some form or another so maybe I will look into that. Lots of projects lined up as well.

Really looking forward to tomorrow when I can tell someone for the first time “ I don’t know how I ever found time to work!”

Congratulations Bud. 1.5 years away for me.

Congratulations Bud! Hope you enjoy your time off, I must admit it takes some getting use to not punching the alarm every morning...

Congratulations Bud! Hope you enjoy your time off, I must admit it takes some getting use to not punching the alarm every morning...

Thanks guys.

I hit mine (iPhone) at 5 am this morning and that was my first thought. Tonight I will have a short turning off the alarm ceremony before bed. I’m sure right after I shut it off for good she will say don’t forget we have to get up early tomorrow to do something.
:p

Congrats bud! I can't wait for that day only because I will have more time for my projects

Thanks guys.

I hit mine (iPhone) at 5 am this morning and that was my first thought. Tonight I will have a short turning off the alarm ceremony before bed. I’m sure right after I shut it off for good she will say don’t forget we have to get up early tomorrow to do something.
:p
So, has being unemployed sunk in yet?

We booked a cruise in France next year. It is a Viking River cruise with 3 days in Paris, then 3 days at Normandy, to see the D-Day landing area, then another 5 days cruising the river towards Paris. Damn pricey, but on my bucket list.

You did the right thing zanne

crooks need to be turned in, especially if they are stealing from the workers

question, What is wrong with ya'll over in Louisiana?
You guys are giving us rednecks a bad reputation :hide:
The redneck SOP [standard operating procedure] if a boss is ripping you off. Is to kick his *** n the parking lot
He will not call the cops. because then he has to admit to theft/fraud
There are some things that get settled that way. LOL. But the main shift-lead who is an MMA fighter and teaches martial arts at a local gym has too good of a temper to hit the jerk. And the jerk might just lie about why he got his *** kicked. My brother actually did pop him in the face before. He was on break and his boss tried to yank his phone out of his hand so he just slapped him and pulled the phone back.
The cops here do not give two craps about theft, domestic violence, or real crimes-- but if someone has an ounce of marijuana they are on them like white on rice.

It was probably for the better, I hate being a rat but if you are not nothing seems to happen these days.
Yeah, I don't like to rat people out, but when this creep is stealing from the employees, he needs to be out.

Unfortunately, last message I got was that an actual employee would need to contact them and I can't get people to come forward. I don't know how they can tolerate a guy stealing their pay that they earned and not be willing to do something about it.

We booked a cruise in France next year. It is a Viking River cruise with 3 days in Paris, then 3 days at Normandy, to see the D-Day landing area, then another 5 days cruising the river towards Paris. Damn pricey, but on my bucket list.
I think cruises are my nightmare. But I can see how some people would enjoy them. I hope you have a very safe and fun cruise though. I have a friend named Chantou who lives in the Normandy area. Very sweet lady.

Oh, I found the website that said Medicare might cover stuff: http://www.thebathdr.com/does-medicare-and-medicaid-pay-for-handicap-bathroom-remodeling.php

I realize they are in Maryland, but I wonder if some of the rules from there apply here.

But maybe Tricare would be more likely to cover stuff? I think because Mom is over 65 and has Medicare Part B she has lifetime Tricare. Not sure how it all works though. The site sort of seems like a bait and switch-- saying things will be covered and then finding out they might not be. I already know what shower and surround I'd like to get, as well as what shower trim kit for controlling the water temp and pressure, but I'm not sure what to get for the showerhead (Mom wants one on a slide bar that she can reach from a moveable shower seat), and I have a general idea of the grab bars-- have two long ones that my friend is supposed to give us.

In other news, I've lost another kitty. He peed on me one last time to let me know he was sick. I scolded him but then held him and snuggled him for a bit before setting him down to eat. I was planning to take him to the vet in the morning, but he disappeared before the vet opened. I wish I'd put him up somewhere so he couldn't run off. He never came back and it's not like him to disappear, so I'm certain he either went off and died or something caught him. He was a sweet little kitty. His brother is wrapped around my arm right now.

Meanwhile, the kittens have opened their eyes and are starting to crawl around a bit. Since they are up on a desk, their father has been lying down in between them and the edge of the desk so they can't crawl off. He sort of sits guard over them when their mother goes to eat and drink and he grooms her and the kittens when they come out of the cubby. They are fat little buggers who love being petted.
Save

Congrats Bud. What line of work [were] you in?

I started off doing tool and die making and then moved into design. Then moved on to machine design and facility design. I worked (hard to not type “work”) for General Electric. Big companies have some good and some bad points to working for them.

We built everything from monster drag line equipment, large to medium size electric motors, speed variation drives, aircraft generators, mass transit cars, motorized wheels for mammoth mining trucks, and of course our main product locomotives. The works located in Erie started around 1912. the facility is about 1 mile square mostly buildings and at the peak employed 18,000 people. When I started there were about 15,000 and it was a small city in itself we even had our own power plant. The whole plant was self sufficient. I worked there for 44 years and I like to say I worked for the greatest company in the world for 25 years. The first 25. It would of and could of grown even larger but the company had policies to not employ over a certain percentage of the population of any city and they were well over that number. Reason being they didn’t want to be the cause of destroying a city if for some reason a business failed. At that time there were a dozen other large industries that were in town to a lesser degree and some of them were dependent on us also. It is the trickle down effect. Right now they have forgotten all the heritage and are downsizing and moving everything to Texas to “cut costs” and be a non union facility and also moving a huge amount to India to another big plant they are hoping will fly. Erie will be left with less than 1000 jobs. Already starting to see the impact of the gradual take down over the last 10 years. Along with that all the other big players in town have all left for greener pastures. We are left with an insurance company as being the largest employer and second place is the hospitals.

My personal timing has been pretty much perfect for myself. Everyone wants to leave on a up note though. And things don’t look great for the city or all the younger people. Lots of start ups and the jobs are going to be more of the low wage type. My son left town for Az a number of years ago because there was nothing here. I think we will be seeing a lot more of that.:confused:

So, has being unemployed sunk in yet?

LOL I got up this morning and the first person I saw a neighbor I said “My god I’m so busy I don’t know how I ever found time to go to work.” He laughed and said give it a few week before you start using that line. So I said “Well the worst part of being retired is I forget what day of the week it is.” He said you might want to give that one a month also.

Not sure if come Monday morning it will bother me or not I’ll let you know.

I will be busy till the snow flies with stuff I didn’t get done outside this summer. Winter will be the strange part having all day to get the snow cleared out will be nice. Or waiting till the storm is over rather than trying to keep up with it.

Congrats Bud. You can always get a job at Home Depot answering questions for newbies in person.

That thought has actually crossed my mind. At our HD 90% of the people working there couldn’t find their butt with both hands. There are a few exceptions and my favorite is a old plumber named Bo. When he sees me come in the door he runs for the back of the store to get away from me. The guy spent his whole life in the trade and he is amazing. I come in with my list and sketch and I pick out my stuff if I cant find him and then he comes up and starts in use this and this and takes 10 things out of the cart and replaces it with 2 by the time he is done he saves me 50% in parts and makes the job half as hard.

I have a good friend that was a repairman at work and trained in tool making and he retired to Fla. Got bored and went to work at HD in the tool area. Says he loves it gets a kick out of meeting people and offering advice.

Maybe a job in the kitchen and bath design section, that sounds fun.

I’m really thinking about a home office though and doing some freelance industrial designing though.

First a month of doing nothing except puttering around here on the honey do list.

Bud, it really is a shame what is happening with GE-- with so many companies these days now. A lot of companies just care about the bottom line and don't care about the employees and they don't see how much it can hurt them in the long run. Sounds like you had some interesting work and that you got out just at the right time.

I hope you come to enjoy your retirement. I know it can be a hard transition. My father went from working 60+ hour weeks to retirement and as soon as he was retired he started busting his hump fixing things up in the yard, cutting down dead trees, removing stumps, bush-hogging the yard, putting up new fences, building stuff-- book shelves, cabinets, desks, etc. He just hated not having things to do. Although for awhile we got him distracted finishing up his masters degree in Invertebrate Zoology. I was his proofreader/editor. At one point he had a larger book collection on cephalopods than the Smithsonian Institute.

I love the idea of you doing some designing. I sometimes find that I can't find products I like and wish I was able to do the execution part or even be able to draw up what I had in mind. Things that I can't seem to find for sale and find it hard to believe no one ever tried to make or market them-- like toilet scrubbers with long adjustable/telescoping handles so you don't have to bend as far and have your face right in the toilet only with disposable/replaceable sponges at the end (so you don't scratch the finish) but that can also have scrub brush attachments and they would have comfort-grip handles and some way to have the cleaning solution dock inside and be able to be refilled or replaced with refills. That probably just made no sense whatsoever. LOL.

Another thing I was wanting was decorative shower curtain hooks that have the little ball bearings to make them slide better AND have a way of closing up at the bottom to keep them from falling off the rod. We have the hooks with the little fish and they constantly fall off the rod. Although I think if I put a couple stopper beads in the right places and use those little thingamabobs that hold glasses strings on, I might be able to stretch them to make things stay on... But in an actual industrially created one, I would have it so there would be a part near the decorative thing that would fold up so you could slide the curtain grommet over and then once the curtain is in place and it's on the rod, it would swing down and clip to the opposite side to hold the ring on the rod.
Again, probably not making sense. LOL.

Got bored and did a little craptastic sketch of the curtain hook idea.

mycurtainhookidea1.png

Last edited:
Back