What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found this while doing a quick search...

Unfortunately for most seniors, walk in bathtubs are not considered to be durable medical equipment by Medicare and therefore Medicare will not pay for the cost of a walk-in tub nor will they contribute to the cost of installation. ... Even with all this support, there is no guarantee of Medicare's assistance.Apr 1, 2016
Does Medicare Pay for Walk-in Bath Tubs? Is Other Financial ...
https://www.payingforseniorcare.com/financial.../walk-in-bathtubs-medicare.html
I saw that but what I'm looking for is a shower with grab bars. I keep seeing conflicting info though. Some say they never cover, some say only from places that cooperate with Medicare for sales. I wish I could find the link again, but there was one site that does bathroom renovations to make them ADA friendly that claims Medicare covers their renos and that they will even do the paperwork or help with it. But, that may be a scam to get people's info and bilk the system.
If my father were alive and needed the ADA stuff, the VA would help with it. I don't think they do it for widows though. And Blue Cross Blue Shield has been refusing to cover a lot of things now. Wish we could buy something that is approved and then be reimbursed.

I would try calling an ADA bathroom remodel company. They may have some trade secrets similar to those little 4 wheel scooters that is also suppose to be covered by Medicare. As I get older, I find the government has alot of programs available to people, but they don't advertise them and hope you just forget about it. Such as medical benefits and money for widows of our servicemen.

I would try calling an ADA bathroom remodel company. They may have some trade secrets similar to those little 4 wheel scooters that is also suppose to be covered by Medicare. As I get older, I find the government has alot of programs available to people, but they don't advertise them and hope you just forget about it. Such as medical benefits and money for widows of our servicemen.
Thanks! I wish I could find the link again to that one bathroom remodel place. I tried to remember my search terms when I found it, but I was half asleep and I accidentally closed the tab a long time ago. I should look in the history, but I forget which browser. LOL. I'll find it again eventually.

Not sure if this will work, but I loaded part of the video of Mom playing with the 5-week-old orphaned yorkiepoo to Instagram.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BZZpno9Fpd0/

Cute little bugger.

I saw that but what I'm looking for is a shower with grab bars. I keep seeing conflicting info though. Some say they never cover, some say only from places that cooperate with Medicare for sales. I wish I could find the link again, but there was one site that does bathroom renovations to make them ADA friendly that claims Medicare covers their renos and that they will even do the paperwork or help with it. But, that may be a scam to get people's info and bilk the system.
If my father were alive and needed the ADA stuff, the VA would help with it. I don't think they do it for widows though. And Blue Cross Blue Shield has been refusing to cover a lot of things now. Wish we could buy something that is approved and then be reimbursed.

Did your Dad have tri Care insurance from the military?

''What did you do today?''
messed with a liberal by confusing him with facts, then sat back and watched as his head blew up
HE could not answer any questions
all he could do was mumble .but but but your a raciest, homophobic,hillbilly Nazi

it was very entertaining
I think I will do it again tomorrow

Did your Dad have tri Care insurance from the military?
That's the odd thing... We don't remember him having it, but sometimes my mother notices that parts of her medical bills are paid by Tricare when she never did anything to set it up. She is a military dependent and has a card that lets her get military discounts and has access to the base facilities. Just don't know how to do the whole Tricare thing.

That's the odd thing... We don't remember him having it, but sometimes my mother notices that parts of her medical bills are paid by Tricare when she never did anything to set it up. She is a military dependent and has a card that lets her get military discounts and has access to the base facilities. Just don't know how to do the whole Tricare thing.

TriCare is like the SUPER DOOPER insurance
You really need to find out about her insurance
Tricare will pay $1000.00 per week for in home 24/7 care
that means YOU can take care of Mom and get paid for it

TriCare is like the SUPER DOOPER insurance
You really need to find out about her insurance
Tricare will pay $1000.00 per week for in home 24/7 care
that means YOU can take care of Mom and get paid for it
Interesting. I thought they don't do that in this state because the nursing home people lobbied to prevent it, but if it's being done by Tricare, it might be good. Does being a caretaker count toward my working/social security? And what are the requirements? Would she have to be in a certain income bracket?
I wonder if I would have to get any special training to be her caretaker. Over in New Mexico, my sister's friend gets paid to be a caretaker for her disabled sister even though she has no training and isn't even around most of the time.

If I can get Tricare to help with some stuff, that would be great. Would love to get Mom an ADA friendly bathroom.

On a side note, my brother's boss is going to be in hot water soon. He's been clocking in and leaving the "store" and not actually working there, but staying clocked in. So, the employees have started clocking him out. But, what they just discovered is really damning. Boss clocked in and left-- leaving a girl (let's call her K) as the person running the place for several hours. Boss was gone the entire time. He's been doing this to her for the past several days. Well, yesterday she checked the computer to figure out what she was going to get paid and saw that the boss had deleted all of her clock-ins as shift-lead and put them back in as production staff (which is $1 less per hour). They also think he's been altering the hours people were clocked in for to shave hours off when they are getting close to the limits on labor. Yet he's been claiming to be working 72 hours a week when he's barely there at all.
I'm encouraging staff to document everything-- every time the boss clocks in and leaves-- and make a report to his boss and corporate.

Today we cut down a 24" X 50' tree and disposed of everything, mowed and trimmed 6 yards, trimmed hedges, moved my equipment trailer to go to plan B and get a house ready for a closing on Friday.

Just talked to my brother about his boss. Boss keeps accusing people of stealing chicken wings but is the ONLY person in the store who doesn't want them to be putting up cameras to catch whoever is doing it-- because it is most likely him. He stole the entire box of peppermints that were delivered to Pizza Hut and took them straight to his girlfriend's restaurant. A friend of mine who ate at the other restaurant said his takeout food was in a Pizza Hut container (which the boss stole). He's also been using the Pizza Hut credit card thingy to take money and buy things for his girlfriend's restaurant and taking it out of the Pizza Hut budget. He's basically embezzling money from the store and committing all sorts of fraud with the wages and screwing people over. It's likely he could go to jail over it if he gets caught. Only reason the employees haven't reported him for it yet is because they want to find new jobs in case the place gets shut down and leaves them unemployed.

Its not work if you're not getting paid...
I'm thinking of that chapter in Numbers (5, I think?) where the guy gathers wood on the Sabbath so God orders him stoned to death. I think it says "firewood," maybe depending on the translation. So...was it cooking firewood or blacksmithing firewood?

I know there's an exception for work you do in order to prepare food, so maybe that hints at a general exception for work you do to support the basics like (nowadays) a house and a car, which might include fun little projects related to that like buffing headlights, which could be considered either work or fun. So that's what I keep telling myself anyway.

Aside from stuff like this, my life mostly got simpler after I stopped being an atheist! :p

Sin can be defined as things that separate you from God. Make the endeavors you do glorify Him and I don't think you'll have a problem. But just in case I'm wrong, gather the wood during the week...😉

Sin can be defined as things that separate you from God. Make the endeavors you do glorify Him and I don't think you'll have a problem. But just in case I'm wrong, gather the wood during the week...��
God spelled out what separates you from Him, it isn't some fuzzy feeling you get. The problem is He spelled it out to people thousands of years ago in their language, so we have to figure out exactly what was said, how to understand it in our language, and how it applies to our lives now. In a way that's an impossible task, which I think is why so many people today go for the "fuzzy feeling" interpretation. I'm also nervous about the idea of buffing my car headlights and claiming it's to glorify God when I'm not sure it's really true.

(@NealTW: I don't believe in hell but I take your point!)

OK, apologies for going down the religion rabbit hole. I meant the Sabbath comments light-heartedly but it's hard to keep them that way.

Today I dropped my dad off at the airport after a really nice 3 day visit. If my math is right, I see him an average of about once every 4.16 years. He got to meet his grandson, and enjoy his granddaughter again now as a little girl instead of a toddler. I hope he'll be around long enough to see both of them really grow up, and I hope I'll keep being able to at least afford to bring him here if not take my family overseas to visit him.

Last edited:
Gary, I'm glad you're ok. I know there can be a bit of a recovery period from the surgery-- may have to change your diet and they might put you on some meds for awhile to prevent acid reflux or something. Mom had her gall bladder taken out awhile back.

Thanks everybody. Everything seems to be going fine so far.

So, I asked PizzaHut on Twitter a hypothetical question about what they would do if a manager was stealing supplies, clocking in and leaving, editing employee clocks to make it look like they worked less hours, etc. I didn't expect a response. They sent me a private message and asked for more details. So, I just ratted out my brother's boss. And my brother realized that if the store shuts down, he qualifies for unemployment while he looks for another job.

God spelled out what separates you from Him, it isn't some fuzzy feeling you get. The problem is He spelled it out to people thousands of years ago in their language, so we have to figure out exactly what was said, how to understand it in our language, and how it applies to our lives now. In a way that's an impossible task, which I think is why so many people today go for the "fuzzy feeling" interpretation. I'm also nervous about the idea of buffing my car headlights and claiming it's to glorify God when I'm not sure it's really true.

(@NealTW: I don't believe in hell but I take your point!)

OK, apologies for going down the religion rabbit hole. I meant the Sabbath comments light-heartedly but it's hard to keep them that way.

Today I dropped my dad off at the airport after a really nice 3 day visit. If my math is right, I see him an average of about once every 4.16 years. He got to meet his grandson, and enjoy his granddaughter again now as a little girl instead of a toddler. I hope he'll be around long enough to see both of them really grow up, and I hope I'll keep being able to at least afford to bring him here if not take my family overseas to visit him.

Do we have the same Dad? I see mine about the same. He has met my kids once and they are 3 and 5.

Latest posts

Back