wood flooring in bathroom?

Discussion in 'Flooring' started by elementx440, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Feb 16, 2007 #1

elementx440

elementx440

elementx440

Just wondering, are the current hard wood/simulated woods suitable for installation in a bathroom in regards to the moisture or water on the floor? Will it cause warping? I'm talking about the prefinished stuff from the local hardware suppliers...

2. Feb 16, 2007 #2

glennjanie

glennjanie

glennjanie

No way! Wood is just not happy in wet locations like that. The finish will come off, the wood will warp, the nails will rust; its just more trouble than it is worth. A laminate, maybe.
    Glenn

3. Sep 30, 2007 #3

Deathlok

Deathlok

Deathlok

I thought that if water gets under the laminate, in time it will warp or buckle depending on the amount of moisture. I would seal the laminate as I install it & use shower rugs over the laminate adjacent to the shower. ( if I had no choice & had to use laminate) I would go tile instead. Something like a nice slate tile.

4. Oct 1, 2007 #4

glennjanie

glennjanie

glennjanie

Dethlok wins this one. The ceramic tile is the best floor for the wet location. Just be sure you use the concrete-fiber-board underlayment.
    Glenn

5. Oct 1, 2007 #5

Daryl in Nanoose

Daryl in Nanoose

Daryl in Nanoose

What they said, I put tile in our ensuite and its guuuuureat!!!

6. Oct 4, 2007 #6

MattCoops

MattCoops

MattCoops

Wood is no good.
    Tile is in style.

Ceramic tile or stone is by far the best floor covering solution for bathrooms.
    Has been for a long time.

And you don't have to use concrete board, otherwise known as cementitious backerboard units.
    There is water-resistent underlayments, such as Schluter's Ditra and Georgia Pacific's DensShield, that are much up to date materials that are esier to install and will last longer.

7. Dec 14, 2007 #7

Jimbob

Jimbob

Jimbob

Wood in the bathroom is a bad, bad idea, go for a plastic tongue and grove, tiles or if you are on a tight budget you could put lino down. Just stay well clear of the wood.

8. Dec 14, 2007 #8

Daryl

Daryl

Daryl

Hey Jimbob,
    I've seen the Plastic tongue & groove planking on line but only found it available in your area! Any info on the Manufacturer and if they sell in the US? I do alot of small bath remodels and people are always inquiring about installing hardwood flooring, (big thing these days in the US)so I'm looking for the alternative. Looks like a pretty neat self sealing system from what I've seen.

9. Dec 14, 2007 #9

travelover

travelover

travelover

Go with ceramic tile and look into underfloor resistance heating for a really nice touch.