Converting the attic into a living space

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take a photo of what is below the wall, you never know. You are hoping to find some timbers nailed together with the floor joist hung from that or a beam like that under the floor joists.

All great points, but I do not have the answers to this questions, i was hoping to pick your and others brain.

However, i do understand without the clear picture of what's in there it will be hard to get an opinion..

I drew a "my version" floor plan of the second floor, which is right under the attic..

Not sure if that can clarify this, or make it more complicated.. :)

Yellow highlighted area is the proposed living area, the purple is the area behind the knee walls..

here is a link to my google drive if you want to zoom in..

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6u5_PQ5F4A7Vjk4ekpmV0V2bjA/view?usp=sharing

If you're not too concerned about doing it all to code, and you are okay with a steep stairway as "attic access", then you shouldn't have to cut any more framing to get there. So the questions becomes; 1) can you fit a comfortable room up there without screwing up the ventilation or roof structure? 2) If you move the load off the exterior walls, do you have enough strength in the interior walls to support the changes? (or something like that). It seems that we are talking about lots of factors without answering any single question.

attic2.jpg

Last edited:
In this picture is of the middle floor stairs going up to the next floor. On the close side we can see a beam in the floor up stairs held up by three posts.
On the far side we see a bearing wall holding up the floor. If we could see the basement here the wall and bearing points will look exactly the same with or with out the basement stairs. And the walls and or bearing points in the basement don't just sit on the basement floor, there is a footing there just like the outside foundation.

tulipanophoto4-1402fe.jpg

All great points, but I do not have the answers to this questions, i was hoping to pick your and others brain.

However, i do understand without the clear picture of what's in there it will be hard to get an opinion..

I drew a "my version" floor plan of the second floor, which is right under the attic..

Not sure if that can clarify this, or make it more complicated.. :)

Yellow highlighted area is the proposed living area, the purple is the area behind the knee walls..

here is a link to my google drive if you want to zoom in..

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6u5_PQ5F4A7Vjk4ekpmV0V2bjA/view?usp=sharing

There most be another wall under the center of the attic , yes?

Then those two walls should be bearing wall because the joists will be joining on them upstairs.
Have you had a peak above the tile in the basement yet.

Yes they are..

I have not taken a look in the basement yet, I'm still working..

Some people work for a living, ya know ? :p

Then those two walls should be bearing wall because the joists will be joining on them upstairs.

Okay, here at the pic of my basement ceiling this is the support, and the stair from the 1st floor to the second floor.

Not sure if its what you're looking for.

20160122_191545.jpg

20160122_191845.jpg

So that is a girder and it was designed to carry one hell of a load, is that in line and under the yellow wall?

on your drawing of the main floor behind the end wall you are showing the bathroom, draw a layout for that room and show where the stairs would bump into the the back wall. I know ;) just hummer me.

Sorry,, i went up in the attic to check..

Its hard to tell what kind of support the wall has without opening the wall, but looked from an angle at it seems that its made with 2 2x4 stacked up on a top of each other..

So that is a girder and it was designed to carry one hell of a load, is that in line and under the yellow wall?

That's not what I meant. The knee wall is above the yellow wall and the yellow wall is on top of the girder in the basement ceiling, Yes?

Which one bathroom 1 or bathroom 2 ?

on your drawing of the main floor behind the end wall you are showing the bathroom, draw a layout for that room and show where the stairs would bump into the the back wall. I know ;) just hummer me.

The knee wall is above the yellow wall

Correct!

and the yellow wall is on top of the girder in the basement ceiling, Yes?
Nope, its on the top of the living room/dinning room below, then one floor down is the basement..

The levels go in this order:

1.Basement
2.1st floor
3.2nd floor
4. attic

If you stand at the door to the stairs to the attic and look at the other end of that room. the bathroom behind that wall, I just want to know whats right behind the wall. Toilet , tub or?

Its my master bathroom, tub, shower, toilet, and everything else in a full bathroom..

If you stand at the door to the stairs to the attic and look at the other end of that room. the bathroom behind that wall, I just want to know whats right behind the wall. Toilet , tub or?

One more try

/ roof
l knee wall
l yellow wall
l girder in basement. first photo in #69
All lined up, one on top of the other

No,

you missing one more floor,there is another floor between the yellow wall and the basement..

One more try

/ roof
l knee wall
l yellow wall
l girder in basement. first photo in #69
All lined up, one on top of the other

Back