Humble 3 Car

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sure did have a great Thanksgiving. I hope all others had a good one as well!

A man can't have too many toys or tool chests.;)

I have five now and have my eyes on a new one. Hey Santa!

Let' see her filled up there.:thumbsup:

and had to tear into the motor on the CJ
IMAG0552.jpg

Wait just a minute....That is a V-8....!

Yeah this is the CJ my dad currently has and is doing the body restore on. When the body was pulled we power washed the chassis pretty good and then let it sit against our better judgement. Put the body back on a few weeks ago with the major integrity issues repaired and tried to turn the motor over. It was locked up tight. We pulled all the plugs and filled the cylinders with ATF and let it sit to no avail. Pulled the heads and the pan on Thanksgiving to find one cylinder that had gotten water in it. Figured the exhaust valves were open on that cylinder and with a leaky exhaust gasket on that side it allowed water in the cylinder. We were able to free it up with the heads off yesterday afternoon. Put it all back together last night and it runs as good as a 304 with 230,000 miles on it should. Take note, as fire them up after a good wash to burn off any water.

On a side note, when I pulled the pan this is part of what I found in there, along with a lot of bearing material. So at some point in this motors past it lost a bearing and a pushrod somewhere, how or why they didn't clean the pan or even pull the pan to do the repair is still a riddle to me.

IMAG0571.jpg

Also got to do some wheeling yesterday morning. My buddy is in the 94. I'm in the 98 Pretty disappointed I didn't make this climb, but neither did he in his solid axle rig so I can't feel too bad! lol.

IMG_2117.jpg

Did you air down the tires at all? I know it is tricky with the rocky surface, but a few pounds may have given you the necessary traction.

I run them at 7 on the trail. I'd go lower but it's hard to keep them on the bead at that point.

Oh ok. They looked really aired up from the pic. Must just be some hard sidewalls.

Yeah, BFG's have a stiff but tough sidewall which is why I run them. That's a tough climb.

I also really like BFG's but dammit, they are really expensive!

Well I started the epoxy process on the first of the 3 bays.

2011-12-30_14-26-00_499.jpg

2011-12-30_14-46-48_580.jpg

Got the wash and acid etch done today. I'll let it dry over night and apply tomorrow.

Also found this guy hiding out in the corner

2011-12-30_14-26-15_239.jpg

I'll be waiting for the results. BTW, what do you have planned for the expansion joints?

I'm just going to paint them as is. I cleaned them out really well. My dad has always used this method and it works for him. I didn't see the need to fill them as some do as they don't interfere with my creeper much.

Good choice. To fill those expansion joints would not be a good thing and if you ever did get a stress fracture within the crack, as you should, filling it would just look ugly and hard to patch. BTW, is that little lizard safe now?

My wife would kill me if something happened to the lizard, so he is indeed safe. We often look for snakes, spiders, lizards, bugs, animals, and other things that most women don't care for, on our offroad expeditions.

These guys are still the coolest
IMG_1263.jpg

IMG_1262.jpg

Are those poisonous, or is it that they just bite and give infections?

I'm glad you are also a nature lover!

From my understanding they are only 1 of 2 venomous lizards and they also provide a very nasty bit because they tend to hang on and grind the relatively small amount of venom into the blood stream.

Bay 1 Complete
2011-12-31_12-43-50_997.jpg

2011-12-31_12-43-38_957.jpg

The walls are getting painted anyways so I wasn't very careful about avoiding them and I plan on installing a plastic strip to seal bottom anyways. One thing to note is that although I felt I applied a pretty generous amount to all areas, I did have enough left over to be even more generous, so apply it heavy. I also did buy 1 extra can of chips, but I think the supplied amount is good for a 1 car as I have quite a bit left over and the floor still has a nice coating of them.

-Also I'm glad I chose to paint the walls after the floor because even though I have to deal with keeping paint off my newly epoxied floor, that will be much easier than keeping the acid etcher off the walls and as I learned that stuff is deadly to latex paint.

That really looks slick. I can't wait to see the other side done now!

When I did mine, I believe I waited too long to apply the "sprinkles" because the first time I swept it out, at least 1/2 of the "sprinkles" blew away. I now wish I would have just purchased more of the sand traction stuff instead of the sprinkles, because it really makes it non-slip and more uniform in color. The downfall to that is that every speck of dirt will show up, unlike the "sprinkles" which camouflages the dirt.

Also, where did decide to stop the paint at the roll down door? I'd like to see a picture of it if possible so others will understand the different options available.

The question you pose is a good one. I'll post some pictures of what I did and how I plan to fix it. What I will do in the next 2 is tape a line where I want to stop, but on this one I just over painted where I wanted to and I'll have to take a wire brush on my grinder to get the edge I'm looking for, but the way my concrete is poured it shouldn't take longer than about 30 min to do what I have in mind and should work fine.

Also I applied the sprinkles as I went using my homemade "salt" shaker. From what I've seen in the past I should have about 10% come loose. My dad has one of his big bays with the traction stuff and it's just too hard move around on when under a car and not on a creeper so I opted not to use it.

Here is how it looks right now

2011-12-31_14-51-24_452.jpg

2011-12-31_14-51-33_620.jpg

2011-12-31_14-51-59_546.jpg

I plan on making a piece of metal like shown in the diagram below that will allow me 1/2" of overlap off the edge of the slab as shown. Since I have over epoxied by about 1.5" I think a wire brush on my grinder will work well as I have done this on accident before and it removed epoxy quite effectively. This should give me a nice sharp edge where I want it.

FloorFix.jpg

Flake shaker
2011-12-31_14-52-46_887.jpg

Latest posts

Back