I drilled a hole through our kitchen cabinet. What now?

Discussion in 'General Home Improvement Discussion' started by jason2li, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Sep 20, 2008 #1

jason2li

jason2li

jason2li

I am currently in the process of baby-proofing my house, and in the process, I accidentally drilled a 9/32" hole through one of our kitchen cabinets.

They are part of the original townhouse materials, which are about 10 years old. They are a light brown finish.

I'm new to the whole do-it-yourself thing, but I'm slowly learning (with messups, of course). But I was wondering what the best option for me is.

Do I:
    • Get a little sticker to cover the hole, and hope it matches?
    • Get in contact with the homeowners association to get a replacement door (would they even still make it)?
    • Putty it, and try to paint it to match?
    • Other...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. Sep 21, 2008 #2

hondadrv24

hondadrv24

hondadrv24

not sure what to tell you to do to fix it but someone on here should. I can tell you that the totlocks you are installing work fabulous. I put them on my kitchen cupboards about 2 months ago and love them.

3. Sep 21, 2008 #3

inspectorD

inspectorD

inspectorD

Housebroken Staff Member Admin Moderator

The only thing which will look OK is a wax crayon filler stick. Go to the local hardware store or lumber yard and bring a door to match the color.
    It may show a bit, but other than reskining the cabinet, this is the way to go.

4. Sep 21, 2008 #4

jason2li

jason2li

jason2li

Thank you both so much for your fast responses. I'll run up to Home Depot today to pick up the filler stick!

5. Sep 22, 2008 #5

glennjanie

glennjanie

glennjanie

Welcome Jason:
    I would try to find out the original cabinet maker and try to buy a new door to match the old.
    That failing I would use a plastic wood filler with the wax crayon mentioned by InspectorD to make it match.
    Glenn