Some pics of what I do.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It happens here occasionally as well. We like safety. Well I like safety better than losing an employee anyway.

Yikes.. I think I'd be nervous climbing in to a hole dug in sand like that. Glad it went well.

And the mention of China made me think of China Beach. lol.

Sorry to hear about the two workers that got buried, slownsteady. That's always sad. :-(

I thought this might be interesting for people to see about trenching
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEz-Fvr1qhI[/ame]

I am competent, confined space and Osha certified for trenching and excavation and so is my foreman. Antonio is also competent and confined space trained.

I thought maybe you needed someone not involved with the excavation. Yep, Antonio seems like a smart cookie.

We have a top guy. He doesn't do much but coordinate what's going on and passed tools and whatnot. I don't like to be that guy so I usually operate when I'm on site. I get bored unless I'm in a tractor or in the trench. I'm not looking forward to 3am to go to Manhattan beach to keep digging in that sewer job.

I had a sewer line replaced a while back and the trench was 9 feet deep at one end and the plumber/excavator NEVER shored the walls. I asked if that wasn't a bad idea and he said it wasn't required. It scared me watching them......

OSHA as of 2015 anything over 4' deep requires shoring.

Only exception is if it is the owner or licensed individual of a non incorporated company in the trench. You can not legally have a paid employee in the trench. They don't care if the owner wants to be stupid.

Great pics, Chris. I think they would be cool on a houzz site or blog that shows how things *should* be done.

I'd love a closer shot of those metal things you're using to hold the boards in place. What are those?

They are called Z shores. Hydraulic aluminum shoring that gets pumped up to hold the walls back.

Back