Some pics of what I do.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like the soil had a lot of clay in it there.

Just out of curiosity, what is the ideal soil makeup for the jobs you do? I know the sandy stuff falls back in and rocky stuff can be hard to dig through.. Is clay on the better end?

I've always wanted to do that but can't bring myself to ruin a pair of boots.

I've always wanted to do that but can't bring myself to ruin a pair of boots.

LOL. That was just what I was thinking. I would hate to waste a good pair of boots. Now, if the boots were ruined and not usable.....

Wanted to do something similar with a pair of sneakers, a couple of short cuts of wood, and and an old pair of jeans .... set'em up in a stall in the men's room. Preferably a one-seater.

Just put tge sneakers and a pair of pants, that will confuse the hell out of people.

Just got a call that someone hit a fire hydrant that I get to replace tomorrow.

Ugh. I hate when people mess up fire hydrants. was it hit by a car or something?

OK, you deal with the water coming out of the ground, I'll deal with the water coming out of the sky. I guess summer is over.

Had a new electrician come out to fix a relatively minor commercial issue today. I had red tagged one of the breakers due to a short I discovered. While he was in the main, he reached for the tagged breaker.

"Don't turn it on," I said, "Its tagged."

He turned it on and the breaker popped. The yelling from the other room was immediate.

He turned it on again! The new yelling included the magic word "FIRE" ...

... which caused me to sprint to the other side of the building, grabbing a fire extinguisher, and waving my hands through the smoke.

"WHERE?", I yelled.

"There, in the wall!" came the reply.

Yes, there was a small yellow flame behind a double GFCI receptacle box. It, thankfully, went out before I could unscrew the plate cover ... but it left a helluva black smoke and stink.

Electrician fired. I dropped the ADA compliance issues which were my main deal of the day and finished the breaker change-out in the main, which was why we had him out to begin with. Now we have to open the wall, chase the wiring and cap the circuit.

Guess Summer is over ...

fireextinguishers_5.jpg

Man.. I think I would have hit that electrician upside the head with the fire extinguisher for that. Did he not hear you tell him not to turn it on? WTF?
I hope that moron hasn't procreated.

Man.. I think I would have hit that electrician upside the head with the fire extinguisher for that. Did he not hear you tell him not to turn it on? WTF?
I hope that moron hasn't procreated.

Dang zanne, did you eat a double dose of Wheaties today? ;)

Well, conceivably, the guy could have electrocuted someone or gotten people killed. So, Yeah, I would want to inflict bodily harm. LOL.

(Ok, I would not *actually* have hit the guy, but I would have wanted to. I probably would have chewed him out bigtime and told him he was paying for any damages).

Over time, I have learned when to yell and when to speak calmly in the face of emergencies. The knucklehead was right next to me as I pulled the receptacle cover off ... revealing a black as charcoal mess which used to be two GFCIs.

In front of the crew, I turned to look at him and calmly said: "That is why I told you not to turn on that breaker."

Sometimes, being shamed is as bad as being yelled at.

Over time, I have learned when to yell and when to speak calmly in the face of emergencies. The knucklehead was right next to me as I pulled the receptacle cover off ... revealing a black as charcoal mess which used to be two GFCIs.

In front of the crew, I turned to look at him and calmly said: "That is why I told you not to turn on that breaker."

Sometimes, being shamed is as bad as being yelled at.

Yeah, that was probably the best way to handle it.

My father used to terrify people without raising his voice. There were quite a few people who were intimidated by him-- which was hilarious to me because he was a big teddy bear.

On a side note, did you get pics of the burned GFCIs?

I'll have to dig up the pics sometime-- but once when we were having concrete poured down at the workshop the guy driving the cement truck completely ignored the GC when he told him to back the truck in slowly. Instead he decided to barrel in forward full throttle and almost went in to the pond. When he realized there was a pond, he slammed on his brakes. The weight shifted and the front end of his truck slammed forward and downward right into the mud with such force that it broke the steps on the truck and wedged it down. They had to call for a huge towtruck. Which in turn got stuck in the mud while trying to tow the cement truck out so they had to call a second towtruck to try to pull them both out with a winch.

Meanwhile the owner of the cement company/truck got on the phone and started making threats to my father and telling him how he was going to bill us for the damage to the truck and if we didn't get his truck unstuck that he was going to charge us for every minute that it was out and blah blah. So my father calmly told him that he had been planning to try to get the truck dislodged, but now that the guy was being a jerk it was on him to get it out at his own expense because it was the fault of his driver. He also questioned the driver about his experience and he'd been driving large trucks for 2 years. That guy ended up shutting himself in the truck and sulking while the workers scrambled to actually get the cement out to pour it-- they had to jerryrig a chute system to get the stuff close enough to pour in to the frame. The GC told us he would take care of any charges they tried to tack on bc of the idiocy. He was a nice guy. It's a shame he passed away.

I'll try to remember to find the pics when my internet isn't being retarded.

Back