The "What did you do today thread"?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spent the day at the nursing home, on day three of this ever-lasting vigil. The only good thing to come of this long vigil is the fact that all three siblings are together, for the first time in several years.

This lady (Ida) was apparently a self-centered pain in the arse to her children, who really couldn't care less about keeping up her relationship with her own children.

Now that the time is near, her kids are talking, laughing and forgiving, so she can rest comfortably knowing she finally succeeded in something.

Good job Ida Kepler!

It's amazing how end of life sometimes brings family's together or can tear them apart. Guess every ending has it's own way of finalizing things. It's not easy dealing with loss of a loved one and moving on. Glad things are healing Mark and hope they stay that way. Theres no guarantee what tomorrow will bring, live every day like it's your last.

The administered "Last Rights" to my G/F's mom today, and is on morphine every two hours. She hasn't eaten or had fluids for 2+ days, so the time is coming soon.

You'll know when the catheter bag stops filling that the last 24 has arrived. At least that;s about how it worked out for my father. He went another 8, but he had a special kind of tenacity. ;)

My whole family thought my father would die first, he lives an unhealthy diet lifestyle. Lives off gas station food and soda, is diabetic but not over weight, never exercises. Meanwhile my mother exercised, took her vitamins and ate healthy and died of heart failure last year at 59 years old with no warning. Go figure. All while my moms parents are both above 90 and still running around like teenagers. They have lost both of their kids now. Dads parents died young, one of heart attack and one a blood clot. The world works in mysterious ways.

No kidding, especially on the heart thing. Read a fascinating book called Enter The Zone.

Basically, every male in Dr Barry Sears family died by 49. He figured if he didn't figure out the mechanism, it would happen to him too. What an eye opener! Really refined how I do nutrition research.

I had a friend-- my godbrother-- who just suddenly dropped dead at the age of 30. They never determined the cause officially, but one of his sister's was later diagnosed with a heart condition where, if the heart stops, it can't start again and she can die at any minute.

There are some people that I only see at funerals or when someone is about to die. We keep saying to each other "we have to stop meeting under these circumstances". I think my father's death helped my mother get in touch with her sisters again briefly, but my mom is not good at keeping in touch with people and hasn't made an effort to reciprocate any attempts to continue communication. It's put me in touch with my aunts a bit more at least. It nearly wrecked my relationship with my sister because of some misunderstandings and a lot of stress. In some ways we are closer but in others there is still a bit of a rift.

Anyway, I had another one of my days of just feeling exhausted today so it was not productive.

Well, the catheter bag thing didn't work for me. She quit eating and drinking last Sunday and is still here, barely.

Thanks. We left the Old Folk's home exhausted last night and told the staff to call us when the deed was done.

My son's dog passed away at 9 30 tonight. He had Biscuit since he was three, for 16 1/2 years. She was part of the family, but it was time.

Very sorry to hear this news, thoughts and prayers to you and yours.

Sorry to hear Rusty, amazing how much they become a part of your life.

That's tough Rusty. My condolences go out.

Sorry to hear that, Rusty. It sucks to lose pets. I hope your son is taking it ok.

Yesterday I took my friend and his girlfriend to Sam's club about an hour away, helped unload groceries, then took his girlfriend to Walmart where she spent over an hour shopping. I sat down and waited and texted him about shopping hell and then took her back home and helped unload groceries.

I got sick last night and had my brother take our housemate to work and pick him up. I was still feeling bleh so I slept until about 4pm. Well, I did get up once to give my dog her morning meds but then I curled up again. Not sure what hit me. Right now my brother is nagging me to take him to the store to buy a birthday cake for our housemate. We have cake mix.. I don't know why doesn't just make a cake or birthday cupcakes.

So I was going to head out to the grocery store and my brother tried to open the front door when this happened:
10649599_873615395981873_8093852671398673421_n.jpg

Good thing its not the only door. I had to go out the back and work my way around. Had trouble getting it to open and he had to push the knob back on and turn it to get it to open because it locked itself when it broke off.

So, we ended up going to HomeDepot. I picked out a replacement knob-- I really hated the one we had, which was absolutely tiny and a pain to turn. Found one that I knew my mother would like and went to check out. The guy couldn't ring it up because someone had done the inventory wrong. We told him the price and he marked it down to clearance price because we were inconvenience by having to wait.

I got home and had to put it on in the dark (the lights in the room don't work) so I had to use a crappy little plastic lantern, but I think it turned out ok. and man.. I need to clean that door with some Pledge.
1932236_10152361551350168_5373642315866037252_n.jpg

Good job on the door knob assembly!

I like that style. Surprised it fit, that looks like a '30's door.

Thanks. I was able to keep the strike plate on the doorjamb, which was a relief, but when I picked up the box I found one little part that I wasn't sure where it was supposed to go. The instructions were all pictures and didn't really have descriptions to say where it went. In retrospect I think I know where it is supposed to go, but I don't know if I want to take it apart again.
It took longer than I'd hoped because of the visibility issue and I was turning the screws manually instead of using a power screwdriver since I didn't want to strip the screws.

I'll have to get a picture of the door. It's not that old. When we bought the place in the 80s it was a wide sliding glass door that was a pain in the *** to open. So my father built up the wall and put a tool closet on one side and then put the door in. I believe this is actually a second door because I saw a nearly identical one in the barn with the windows broken out. So, the tenants may have replaced it-- which probably explains why its in such crappy condition.

I do need to fix where the paneling is patched with duct tape. LOL.

The knob works so much better than the old one.

I really do like that style of doorknob. I got a non-locking kind for $2 from the HfH ReStore before it went out of business.

This is the door
10403498_537707276362142_711055052553809718_n.jpg

And this is the metal piece that I missed. Not sure if its important or not.
1532014_537707203028816_3451837601339387669_n.jpg

10511109_537707149695488_6314990384912713490_n.jpg

Wow! Amazing. The first picture looks just like a door.:D

Back