What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gave him 6 days to get his yard cleaned up or he'll be hit with a $5,400 fine. It needs the weeds cut, old pipes and wood from renovating picked up, etc. The mayor just happens to own a business that does that sort of work. Scumbag
Possibly. Not putting stuff in writing is a red flag. But in the mayor's defense, I wouldn't want a neighbor whose yard is as you describe.

Flyover, most of the yards in the area look like that or worse because they know people are trying to recover from the winter storm. The mayor didn't start this until he started his own yard cleaning business. In the past he dismissed complaints from the church because he realized they were meant to harass my friend & that the church members were actually vandalizing his property. That stopped after he put up cameras.
The mayor has a long history of graft. He uses taxpayer $ to buy himself personal vehicles. Changed city ordinances for his own personal stuff-- making it so people could use riding carts and golf carts and such on the streets even though they aren't street legal. He likes to roll around in a golf cart. He didn't set an age limit so I've nearly gotten into accidents with children driving golf carts on public streets.

My friend's yard wasn't that bad until recently when he was trying to fix stuff up.

Plus the people at the church are complete a-holes. They are rude to waitstaff and retail workers, don't tip at restaurants, walk around with their noses in the air and act all superior. My friend has been trying to get someone to come mow down the bamboo and other plant life in his back yard for years but people kept no-showing even after getting paid.

I'm waiting for him to message me to say he's ready to go get some gravel to fill in mud spots in his driveway.

I still think its suspicious that it was only a verbal warning and he was only given 6 days. I don't even know if he's technically liable since he doesn't actually own the property.

In the past, the mayor charged my friend $400 for a water bill "to keep the water turned on" when my friend wasn't using any water because his grandmother had died and he went to go support his grandfather. The guy is a crook.

Shan, looks great!

I need to get my yard cleaned up-- but having same problem as my friend. Paid someone to do it and he no-showed.

As an aside, I discovered that the AC guy used conduit on a short section of the 220v line just where it comes out from under the house, but he left the rest of the line unprotected lying on the ground going under the house. It's going to be harder to disconnect it to put more conduit on. Ugh.

My yard had a small localized mess near the chimney and the soffits for the time during which work was being done on those things, but I keep it clean the rest of the time, and make sure workers clean up any mess before they leave. I don't understand people who keep their yards like trash-heaps for longer periods.

But I understand this is kind of a cultural/regional thing too...I had Mexican neighbors when I lived close to the border, and their yard was pretty much literally a dump. It attracted rats and we had to have the central office force them to clean it up.

Anyway, crooked politicians are another kind of trash that should be cleaned up. I'm anti-trash all around!

Flyover, a lot of the homes here are rather trashy to begin with and people don't have enough space for things and are too busy or not inclined to pick up. Can't afford lawnmowers etc. It's a rather impoverished area so it's very common to see yards full of rubbish, branches, tall weeds, debris from storm damage &/or renovations/repairs. The deadbeat tenants we had totally junked up our yard. The culture around here is to have junky yards.

The only city ordinance my friend could find about eyesores and yards involved having a bunch of derelict vehicles all over.

Havasu, I passed your advice on to my friend. He's been trying to get in touch with the state AG's office and has also reached out to some lower tier people. His mother asked around and it turns out the mayor did this to a whole bunch of people. He was going all over town telling people they would be fined if they didn't get their yards cleaned without actually giving written notice or specifics on what they needed cleaned. And the a-hole knows a lot of people are still renovating/repairing from the storms. He's even pulling it with small businesses. There's a thrift shop that had part of the metal roof blown off and the panels are lying on the ground in front of the building. There's a waiting list to get roofing, tree removal, and plumbing done. My friend and his mom have been telling people to report it to the AG, DA, and any authorities they can think of (not including the cops) for extortion.

Picked up my friend in late morning and took him to Lowes (brought my brother along to help). Got 3 different shovel types and a sturdy rake as well as 10 50lb bags of quickcrete gravel. Put them on a tarp. Also got a bucket dumping stuff but forgot about it. LOL. Friend used a trench digging shovel to dig a shallow ditch along his sidewalk going to his ditch to create a path for water to flow. Filled it with gravel (sort of what my father called a "french drain"). My brother and I shoveled some of the dirt in to big pot holes in the driveway. Then I raked the remaining dirt to try to reduce the slope of the front yard (it slopes toward the house away from the ditch instead of the opposite way). I was trying to level it out a bit more. Friend is trying to find someone who will deliver dirt (hoping to get the cheapest he can find). The term "dirt cheap" underestimates how much they charge for dirt. He wants it dumped in the front yard so he can make the yard slope toward his ditch.

Also went to Tractor supply to get a little wagon he can use to load up debris and dump it in a burn pile.

Got home and made lunch for mom. took some naproxyn and am about to take a nap.

I once had some elderly relatives who had a portion of their chimney collapse after an earthquake. A week later, the city (Glendale, Ca.) Code enforcement issued them a 5 day repair demand or pay a $500 fine. I went through the roof with that one. I spoke to their watch commander, who apologized and told me to disregard. I picked up the 5 bricks, went on her roof, and cemented them in place. That notice was really uncalled for, for 5 bricks on their side yard, but I understand that if everyone did their part to keep their houses free of debris, it makes the entire neighborhood just a little bit better, and helps property values.

Havasu, I can understand them wanting to keep their yards nice, but considering how long this thing was a junked up meth house with much worse debris, parts of the house falling off, etc, & they didn't condemn it or try to do anything about it back then. Especially since no property tax was being paid on it. They are just going after people for money at this point. They don't really care about it being an eyesore, the mayor wants money. He's already tripled the water bill prices (because it's set by City Hall and he tells them what to do). It frustrates me so much. If they had given him written notice with more time it still would have been offensive, but it wouldn't have been as suspicious and aggravating as going there with police and only giving verbal notice. And they should have given specifics. I can almost guarantee that he will claim whatever my friend does is not sufficient unless he hires the mayor's company to do the job. I could be proven wrong. Perhaps contacting someone to breathe down the mayor's neck will change his attitude. But, if this guy doesn't get removed, I think he will only continue to harass and bully people.

The thing about 5 bricks for some reason reminded me of someone who said their HOA kept sending them notices about needing to cut their lawn or they'd be fined. They had no lawn. Their yard was entirely gravel. They finally got someone to tell them where they saw "lawn" and it was a single weed flower growing under their bay window. They put a stake next to it and claimed it was their garden so the HOA would leave them alone about it.

Internet is barely working now so I can't see if my friend replied to my latest messages.

As a complete aside, I discovered that Tractor Supply has some of the shortest damn toilets I've ever seen. The height of the bowl was literally the same height as the bottom of the stall. Only the seat kept people's business from being visible. I swear my knees almost went to my chest when I sat down and I had a hard time getting back up. LOL.

Last edited:
Must have made their own "Squatty Pottys" for proper evacuation, and popular in Asian cultures.
Gawd, can I even say that now, or is it offensive?

I made a cardboard potty stool after seeing them on Shark Tank. I used a sturdy cat litter box at first but switched to a whey protein box. I cut pieces from another box and glued them inside to double the top and the sides. I had intended it to be a prototype and make one out of wood but after a couple of years it's still holding up.

Must have made their own "Squatty Pottys" for proper evacuation, and popular in Asian cultures.
Gawd, can I even say that now, or is it offensive?

When you question if it's offensive is when they have won. I don't care about any of their new rules, and just laugh at them. That applies to all the sensitive people, whether they identify as Male, Female or a Helicopter.

I've found that in real life (as opposed to the internet) few people of any extraction care about political correctness, so long as you're not being a hostile jerk. (There may be an exception for certain young adults, but young adults have always had the issue of having more freedom than sense and are still trying to figure out who they are and what mark they want to make in the world, etc.)

I've had a plastic squatty potty in my bathroom for years. I highly recommend them. As for short toilets in public restrooms, that might be an accessibility thing for people with dwarfism or something like that. Typically this is coupled with grab-handles affixed to the stall wall.

If you are not elderly and can't easily get up from a squatting position that is a good indicator you should be doing resistance training (really you should be doing it anyway).

It seems that the younger generation (but not limited to them) can't carry on a normal conversation with proper English, often using the most common vulgarity twice in the same sentence. Teens in a Perkins restaurant were using more colorful language than 82d ABN barracks talk.

Havasu, LOL! Since I lived in southeast asia for several years, I can confirm they do have the squat toilets and many of them will squat down (not to go to the bathroom) instead of sitting to rest when out in public. I don't know if it's because they practiced it their whole lives or if it's genetic or what. It's so easy for them. I think part of the reason I'm not good at it is bc it's not something I did when younger. I also sometimes have trouble with my knees. My right knee tried to go out on me the other day. I had to actually stop and grab my leg and try to set the kneecap back right. It didn't fully dislocate, but it felt like it slipped out of position. That's another reason I have trouble getting up from squatting positions. I'm also overweight and most of the weight went to my torso. That doesn't help either.

I like the squatty potty. My brother got one and it does help. The other day he was singing an ode to his squatty potty. Something about "You fill me with joy but leave me empty" or something. He likes to sing and make noise in the bathroom. He'll shout random things like "I don't remember eating corn!" and "My guts think they are Billy Mays-- 'But wait, there's more!'" It's weird yet entertaining.

I was supposed to take my friend to Lowes this morning but I racked out and didn't wake up until 4:30pm. I messaged him an apology and he's cool with it. He knows I have chronic fatigue and he knows what it's like to be exhausted and not be able to wake up. We'll go tomorrow morning instead.

Late last night and early this morning I did some dishes. My brother left food in the pressure cooker a month ago and never cleaned it. I stuffed tissues up my nose and dumped it outside, boiled some water in an electric kettle, and washed it and other dishes. Brother made beef stew this evening.

Someone left mom's bedroom door open so the cats got in and pulled her curtains down. I fed them to lure them out and then had to grab one cat who refused to come out and decided he wanted to fight it-- grabbing everything in sight with claws to avoid being pulled out. I put him near food and he was fine after that.

With the price of lumber so high but my basement crying out for shelving units, I bid on and won at auction a couple of solid doors with no holes or anything cut in them. They cost about $6 each and I'm very pleased with myself for being so clever. I will rip them and use them to build shelves. With how much I saved on these I can probably just flat out buy the 2xs to make the uprights, plus these being 1"-thick doors means I don't need to build frames under them, just support them in the middle with another pair of uprights. So, six 2x4s per shelving unit ought to do the trick, and I can save even more by buying the 6' length ones instead of 8'. But first I'm going to keep checking Craigslist to see how much I can get for free.

Thinking more on it, I think that to support the shelves what I'll do is, rather than just screw the uprights directly into the shelves and be done with it, I'll use some of my scrap bamboo bed slats to make brackets. Ones going front-to-back along the sides, and then little blocks along the middle uprights, slightly wider than the 2x4s. Then I'll still screw the uprights into the shelves but the weight won't be entirely on the screws. Since the doors are probably particle board with veneer I figure that's the best way to go.

Last edited:
With the price of lumber so high but my basement crying out for shelving units, I bid on and won at auction a couple of solid doors with no holes or anything cut in them. They cost about $6 each and I'm very pleased with myself for being so clever. I will rip them and use them to build shelves. With how much I saved on these I can probably just flat out buy the 2xs to make the uprights, plus these being 1"-thick doors means I don't need to build frames under them, just support them in the middle with another pair of uprights. So, six 2x4s per shelving unit ought to do the trick, and I can save even more by buying the 6' length ones instead of 8'. But first I'm going to keep checking Craigslist to see how much I can get for free.

Thinking more on it, I think that to support the shelves what I'll do is, rather than just screw the uprights directly into the shelves and be done with it, I'll use some of my scrap bamboo bed slats to make brackets. Ones going front-to-back along the sides, and then little blocks along the middle uprights, slightly wider than the 2x4s. Then I'll still screw the uprights into the shelves but the weight won't be entirely on the screws. Since the doors are probably particle board with veneer I figure that's the best way to go.

That should work. I don't get the lumber prices, I guess the suppliers just hiked it for the fun of it to see what they can get away with. Well la de da, look at that, the worthless maggots in congress aren't doing anything about it. Big surprise. When I asked, Lowe's blamed it on Covid, which has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

I have scrapped plans and cannibalized 2 shelving units to build an island. Now I need more shelving units.

For my kitchen island I am looking through my scraps finding ways to avoid Lowes as much as possible. Things like joining plywood where seam will be hidden by picture frame molding. I saw a neat youtube presentation where drawer slides are installed in cabinet before drawers are built.

Covid did impact prices and product availability. A lot of shipping and packing locations were shut down. There's a whole lot of stuff made in China that gets shipped over and China got hit hard by Covid. Their death toll was astronomically higher than they ever admitted. It was way more than double what they claimed. With people dropping like flies, having to quarantine, shipments having to be disinfected, etc, it did affect the bottom line. It slowed down the supply end and when supply slows while there is demand, businesses jack up prices. It's why the oil companies don't have more refineries and limit how much oil they refine. They could easily refine a lot more but then there would be a surplus of refined oil and their supply to demand ratio wouldn't justify higher prices. (Hey, I still remember some things from college business classes. LOL).
Also, businesses will use any excuse they can to jack up prices to try to increase their profits. Any time there is some sort of natural disaster, prices on some things go up even if they weren't impacted.

I didn't get to sleep last night after Mom woke me up. Cleaned some more and then my brother and I picked up our friend and went to a prefab building place. They do on-site construction as well as full deliveries. Got my eye on a metal barn. Apparently they can be customized. At first I just wanted a simple 12'x16' but the I saw the ones with the lean-to additions that would be perfect for storing hay (I actually saw a building with a lean-to holding hay on the way up there). Only one person working at the place (the owner) and he couldn't tell me about any of the options available really. All he did was tell me to text him about what I wanted. He didn't know specific prices (or at least wouldn't admit it). Kept insisting price of metal is going to go up 20% "soon" and I better buy asap or it will be more expensive. I haven't heard anything to corroborate that so I'm fairly certain it's a sales gimmick. I was happy with the thickness of the metal buildings. They were a lot sturdier and I can order them in 12 gauge. I can add my own insulation.

There was a really large barn that was nice but I couldn't reach the handle to pull the door down and it was waaay too big. I was looking at a smaller one and the guy said it could have a lean-to added and explained how it would be added.

I snapped a pic of the specs and brand name. Went to company site and found they have a Barn Building program where you can customize. Took me a bit, but I figured out how to build the barn I wanted with a little porch area (shelter from rain while opening the door) and a lean-to. Played around with open walled lean-to vs closed wall. Think I like closed better. Added a side door at some point as a 2nd entry point (if cows get in the way) or as an escape from cows if they get between me and the big door. It's about the same size as my bedroom (but my room is slightly longer).

Plan would have 10' ceilings for main barn, 12'x16' enclosed area, 4' x 12' porch area, 8' (smallest size they make them) x 20' lean to with one side covered and back half covered as an egress point. The really big barn was about $7k. Smaller one (which had plywood floor) was over $6k. If I can stay under $9k it will be covered by what the insurance paid for our barn that got destroyed.
Barnideasfromsite2.pngbarnideasfromsitedoor1.png
We stopped at Walmart to grab some food they don't sell in town. Then went to chinese restaurant (they are very strict about masks, distancing, gloves, etc). Owner is always very happy to see us and says "See you next time!" as we're leaving.
Went to Lowes and got more gravel. We were going to help our friend with his yard more, but my brother had a severe toothache and was tempted to go to the ER but they won't give him anything for pain when he goes. He's trying to find an urgent care dentist.

@zannej I have known two people that could actually sit on their heels. One was a neighbor of my FIL and I remember him on the FIL's porch sitting on his heels asl they talked. The other was a Korean, my wife's SIL and she did it often. Both were skinny, I may have done it as a kid but I don't come anywhere close now.

Your barn solution sounds nice. Hope it works out well for you.

zannej... I understand the supply, but lets say an entire mill is shut down for a week. The lumber has to sit there on planks to dry anyway, so the Lowe's won't get their shipment, but it doesn't justify raising prices.

Your barn idea does sound good. I just hope you went through the once in 100 year storm so you won't have to worry about it. Unless you're a Highlander.

Thanks, Eddie. I think even if I had practiced squatting and wasn't fat, I would likely still have some problems. I manged to injure both of my ankles in the past and I have trouble with them now. Would never be able to sit on my heels. I really need to do some exercises to stretch my legs and ankles and improve strength.

Spicoli, I believe the distributors for the products raised the prices that they charged to sell things to Lowes. Unfortunately, in a free market the sellers can raise prices arbitrarily because they want to and if there is enough demand they can get away with it. I remember when gas prices would go up even when there was nothing causing them to go up-- they just used any excuse they could find. I'm in favor of free market but I think there needs to be some balance to stop major price-gouging. I'm particularly annoyed with the pharmaceutical industries that charge the US more for meds made here than they charge other countries for the same meds. I don't know if the laws have changed, but when I was studying business, that was illegal. I wish I could remember the name of the law, but it prohibited charging more to the US for products produced in the US than other countries were charged.

I'm not concerned about the cold so much as the heat and rain. I want them to be able to stay dry. I also want a place to store their hay where it can be covered. The building will allow me to have troughs inside where leaves and rain won't fall in them. We had some wooden troughs under a little lean-to but the cows broke them. Horned cow broke the lean-to with her horns (it was designed for a horse so horns were not a consideration when Dad built it). I also want to figure out some way to circulate/move air and vent the heat out of the building. I will insulate the inside and the color I chose is not dark enough to absorb a lot of heat. I'm thinking of creating something inside to block heat/cold from flowing in to the barn directly. I'm trying to find pictures, but you know how some barns have a big open doorway but there is a wall a few feet in that runs parallel to the doorway and you have to go to the left or right to get around it to access the interior? I'm thinking of adding a beam spanning the rafters at the top of wall-level and maybe hanging a moving blanket or something there to break up the direct flow of air. Hopefully cow won't tear it down. But worst case I could build some sort of divider there. I wonder if a gable fan would work to pull heat out when it's hot inside.

Mom was happy that I got her new food options. She had me heat up a fried fish fillet (she doesn't eat meat other than fish on Fridays) and make a baked potato in the microwave. That was a monster of a potato too. Double the size of the ones we normally get. Took almost 10min to cook. She gave me half of it and it filled my plate up when I mashed it.

The Lowes around here gets so little business, the girls that work there almost tackle me when I walk in the door they are so desperate to see a customer walk in. We have Lowes, Home Depot, and Menards chains. Each newer store has lower prices than the next older stores, so Lowes being the oldest, gets ignored now.
Menards, the newest, also has two huge buildings, so big they can't find enough lumber, home stuff, etc. to fill them so also offer food and all kinds of other things...
Years ago we had Handy Andy, Builder's Square, and Home Base plus an old farm store with building products. They cut each other's throats and suddenly those 3 big box home stores chains disappeared leaving us with only the farm store. I used to have to go to Detroit area to find a lot of things. Now that we have 3 more home stores chains, the farmer's store closed it's 6 locations, 3 here and 3 in 3 other towns...

Back