What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@zannej in that case I should clarify, these are particle board doors. They're solid in the sense of not having a cavity in the middle.

Been working on the new workshop, needed to run a 100 amp sub panel off the primary panel at the house.
Anyone that operates a Jack Hammer for a living deserves, at a minimum, $100.00 an hour... three hours manhandling that thing... and I can’t move... 25 year old mind... 75 year old body

Attachments

• 9AD73C3D-4963-410E-ABB2-643025F68A89.jpeg
    9AD73C3D-4963-410E-ABB2-643025F68A89.jpeg
    64.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 27531B93-BD32-496D-BA5C-C56CCCABCAD9.jpeg
    27531B93-BD32-496D-BA5C-C56CCCABCAD9.jpeg
    88.2 KB · Views: 12
I have seen old paneled doors made into interesting corner shelves.
54a8b3cf17aebba64f170001b2e9c16a.jpg

I have seen old paneled doors made into interesting corner shelves.
Ooh, I like that. Doesn't match the aesthetic anywhere in my house, and I wish the knob had been integrated somehow, but that is a really cool idea. I could see building something like that to sell on Craigslist.

Been fighting my iron level being to high making me tired all the time. The only thing they can do is draw a pint of blood every two weeks and hope that my level comes back to normal. Started skim coating the ceiling and walls in the living room back in November and all I've gotten done is half of it . If I can't get back in the swing of things I think my wifeo_O might hurt me. Any tips on getting back into a renovation when lost all of your gumption.

Been fighting my iron level being to high making me tired all the time. The only thing they can do is draw a pint of blood every two weeks and hope that my level comes back to normal. Started skim coating the ceiling and walls in the living room back in November and all I've gotten done is half of it . If I can't get back in the swing of things I think my wifeo_O might hurt me. Any tips on getting back into a renovation when lost all of your gumption.

This might help..

https://www.greenmedinfo.com/disease/hemochromatosis

Flyover, I suppose if you seal them well enough they will last longer. LOL..
That corner shelf is cool. I actually want to build a corner shelf for the guest bathroom. I'm trying to find if anywhere sells prefab 90° triangles so I can make a jig to do a bevel edge (a miter cut on a long section) without having to change the angle of my table saw blade. I'd put something over the top of it and slide my boards on it to cut the bevel. But, that is something aways off from doing.

Need to fix my bathroom floor first.

I slept until after 4pm even though I tried to go to bed early. My lower back does not want to cooperate with me. I almost couldn't stand up.

I took naproxyn and am waiting for it to kick in enough that I can go to the post office and the store.

@zannej, Take a square piece of wood or particle board and cut it diagonally, corner to corner. Two triangles. Then make them opposite faces of a box and affix it to a sled to make your jig. But...I think it'd be easier just to change the angle of your table saw blade!

I held a sleeping baby for my last 90 minutes of work today so my wife could go for a jog, which bought me time when she got back so I could cut all my other wood for my shelves to length before I had to start cooking dinner. Tomorrow all I have to do is take the pieces down to the basement and assemble them. After I move everything that's going on the shelves out of the way first of course.

I'm not sure if my tablesaw even has an adjustment for angle. LOL. It's an old one. And there's a strong possibility it might be jammed if it does have that feature. It would also involve bending down and I have trouble with that. Plus, I just want the chance to make a jig.
I think what I will do is find some scrap lumber and check for square, use a roofing square and trace it on the wood, cut it out, and then repeat so I have 2. Then I can nail those to a flat piece of wood. I can put a thin piece of scrap plywood or wall material over the triangles. If I wanted to be real fancy I could create a sled. LOL. But I think I'll just be lazy for now. I really need to work on my bathroom first.

I think I have everything I need to work on it, just need to wake up early enough in the day to start on it.

I may start a thread about the barn I want to have built. I was thinking of going with wood, but with time and $ being a concern & my rate of procrastination, it's best to have one professionally installed.

American Steel Carports makes all sorts of stuff. I used an app on their website to build a utility building that could work as a barn. I want to have a solar powered gable fan with a battery so it can run at night if it's hot. But I also want to have the solar power run LED shop lights (only on when I need to go in there so won't be on constantly) and possibly a ceramic heater (which will be in a spot cows can't reach) if it gets extremely cold. I will insulate the inside (it has the option to come insulated but I don't know how much extra it would cost).

Got both sets of shelves done this weekend. Learned that those screws that drill their own pilot holes, if you try and use them on bamboo, the bamboo usually splits. Still strong I'm sure, but by the time I drilled the second screw into the second shelving unit I'd learned to drill pilot pilot holes in the bamboo first.

Here's before:
0317211154-00.jpg

Here's after:
0321211503-01.jpg

The other shelving unit:
0320211355-00.jpg

Also my buddy came over and cut my stump into a couple slabs for me; the big plan is to build my own guitar. Whichever slab I don't use will become a small table.
0321211342-00.jpg
0321211351-00.jpg

Ok, so you are going to do whole house PEX? Might as well, if you're doing some. Now is the perfect time to put in a 3 stage whole house water filter that takes 2.5" x 10" standard sediment and carbon filters, if you don't have a system like that. If you do that, buy your replacement filters on Ebay or Amazon in 25 or 50 pc. lots because they are $ compared to Lowe's or Home Depot at $$$$$$$$$$$$.

Carbon filters are a little over $2 each on Ebay, Sediment are a little over $1 on Amazon. The last price I remember at Lowe's was $11 each.

I like the Lowe's Military discount, but it's useless for tons of stuff that is much cheaper elsewhere. They get their money back by raising prices here. Lumber last year was insane, with 2x boards almost 3 times as expensive as 2019.
I am thinking of adding a single stage whole house sediment filter, what filter housing do you recommend. I can install it after the supply lines to two sill cocks tee off the main line.

Got both sets of shelves done this weekend. Learned that those screws that drill their own pilot holes, if you try and use them on bamboo, the bamboo usually splits. Still strong I'm sure, but by the time I drilled the second screw into the second shelving unit I'd learned to drill pilot pilot holes in the bamboo first.

Here's before:
View attachment 25462

Here's after:
View attachment 25463

The other shelving unit:
View attachment 25466

Also my buddy came over and cut my stump into a couple slabs for me; the big plan is to build my own guitar. Whichever slab I don't use will become a small table.
View attachment 25464
View attachment 25465

Nothing like getting stuff stowed away. I built 9 of these beasts when wood wasn't Gold and STILL need a storage unit for all my other CRAP. That's my April resolution, to get rid of everything that isn't a tool or accessory.

I don't know anything about Guitars, but those slices would make great table tops. You could probably slice both in half again?

Attachments

• Shelves.JPG
    Shelves.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 8
I am thinking of adding a single stage whole house sediment filter, what filter housing do you recommend. I can install it after the supply lines to two sill cocks tee off the main line.

Are you on good filtered city water or dirty well water? If you are on well water, I don't think you can get away with a one stage system. For my well, I run 2 sediment filters and then a carbon filter.

If you are going to do the plumbing anyway, why not do a 3 stage?

Here is the brand I have, which has a slow leak after almost 7 years. I'm good with that, but am questioning why they have a Fall sale on now.

Any 2.5 x 10 system should work fine.

http://www.purewatersite.com/whhowafisy.html
Here's an Ebay search term for a 3 stage. The search for 1 stage doesn't turn up anything. I will probably get the one for $58 because the clear housings themselves are more than $58 for three elsewhere.

Water Filter Whole House 2.5in X 10in Three Stage Filtration System

@Spicoli43 I have a deep well w/submersible pump. My water was fine for 30+ years and developed a bit of sediment only in the last couple of years. I first noticed it when I filled the bathtub for flush water during a snowstorm. When I drained the tub it was stained with red clay sediment. The water has no odor or off-taste.

Lowe's has this AO Smith housing with by-pass valve;
ao-wh-prev-main.png

Last edited:
Ok Eddie, if you're getting sediment now, that's the exact reason you want a 3 stage. My filters in this picture are a little over a month old, with the first stage getting a lot of sediment, the second some sediment, and the third no sediment.

Every time I have changed them after 3 months, the second stage looks like the first and the third is still clean.

If you get a one stage, sediment will probably get past it.

I need to figure out exactly why I'm getting sediment, as a deep dive into research before I call someone. Maybe it's just the water tank, maybe it's more than that.

Attachments

• 3 Filters.JPG
    3 Filters.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 6
Nothing like getting stuff stowed away. I built 9 of these beasts when wood wasn't Gold and STILL need a storage unit for all my other CRAP. That's my April resolution, to get rid of everything that isn't a tool or accessory.

I don't know anything about Guitars, but those slices would make great table tops. You could probably slice both in half again?
Those shelves are marvelous. Ah, one day buying wood once again won't require a loan and a cosigner.

One slice will definitely be a table top. The guitar needs to be about 1.5" thick, so whichever slab becomes the guitar will simply be planed to the appropriate thickness.

How would I slice the other one in half again? My buddy did those free-hand (see photo above)...maybe build a jig and do it horizontally?

Those shelves are marvelous. Ah, one day buying wood once again won't require a loan and a cosigner.

One slice will definitely be a table top. The guitar needs to be about 1.5" thick, so whichever slab becomes the guitar will simply be planed to the appropriate thickness.

How would I slice the other one in half again? My buddy did those free-hand (see photo above)...maybe build a jig and do it horizontally?

Yeah, good point. I was thinking Band Saw, but looked at the picture again. Become a master at Chain Saw art real quick?

Flyover and Spicoli, the shelves look great!

My prescription allergy meds ran out & the pharmacy screwed up and refilled the wrong prescription. I have Levthyroxin (for thyroid) and Levocetirizine. I'm out of the latter but they mistakenly refilled the former (without me requesting it) even though I had just refilled it.
Flowers are blooming & the pollen is murdering my sinuses. I keep sneezing & have a sinus headache.
Yesterday I witnessed a white woman pulling a gun out on a black woman (waving it around at the woman and her children & the front of the store) after the white woman rammed the black woman's car with a cart. She put the gun away after several people yelled at her to holster it, but she continued to have a shouting match with the driver until she saw me pulling out my phone to record. She decided to end it and walk away (toward me). With the altercation over, I put my phone back and grabbed a cart. She must have been mad at me bc she tried to ram me with her cart. I barely got out of the way in time. I called her a stupid b**** and showed my membership card to the greeter. I then heard her lying to the greeter about what happened (claiming the other woman had run over her cart and threatened her life when all she was trying to do was return some stuff). Employee calmly told her to go to the returns area. She had to be told twice before she complied. She nearly ran over an elderly couple with the cart on her way. People like that ruin it for responsible gun owners who don't wave their guns at children & unarmed people in public.

I think the 3-stage filtration system is what we'll probably need to get.

Didn't sleep much last night. Today is the anniversary of my father's death- hard to believe it's been 12 years. Feels like it was more recent. Mom and I hugged each other and cried together. We didn't bring it up to my brother bc we didn't want to depress him. I took him to the dentist this morning to get his teeth cleaned and examined. One of the teeth he thought had to be pulled can be filled. Dentist gave him a tooth care kit with coupons. My rotator cuff is still being hateful.

Went outside for a brief walk to check the area where I want the barn put. I think it slopes more than I'd thought. Gonna have to figure out how to level it or find out how much it would cost for leveling from the installers. I do have some cinderblocks and paving stones & I can always get more stuff from the hardware store.

On the upside, I think I do have power within 50ft of the area. Old breaker box on a pole out back. Opened it up and there are two breakers (or are they called circuits?) but there was also a wasp building a nest so I shut it pretty quickly. Don't know if anything inside is any good. I will probably have to put some sort of better cover over it if wasps could get inside. Means water can probably get inside too. Will have to get my friend to look at it after I figure out how to kill the wasps without spraying liquid on anything electric.

I have maybe a 2ft+ diameter poplar log on the ground. Lumber prices may never recover enough for my woodworking hobby. Maybe I had better get some practice on chainsaw slabbing (freehand and with attachment).

I have an Alaskan Saw Mill attachment but my little Haddon Lumbermaker is easier to use as I can whittle with it instead of just forcing it along.

81PwI5e6DYL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Wish you were close enough to my area to get some of the fallen oaks around my yard (uprooted by the hurricane). I hate to see them go to waste.

Back