What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eddie_t said:
Another thought, if it happens to be worn or splayed ways you might try 45° which is at the other end of the run but not used as much as 90°.
Yeah, there's a variable space where I can put the carriage bolt, so I can move it off the spot where it's been clamping the last who-knows-how-many-years if it's worn out there.

I haven't checked the adjustment in my circular saw in years. This is a great reminder that the time to get your tools ready for use is before you need to use them.
Fortunately the cut I need to do can also be done on the tablesaw, so that's the plan for now.

Today I hope to get those cuts done, and also the cuts for the legs on my waterfall table. Waterfall table legs take precedent because I borrowed my neighbor's track saw to do them.

@Spicoli43 I was going to go to a chiropractor this time last year, but he said I needed to do massage therapy first because I was so tight and stiff. I haven't tried acupuncture but I am not opposed to it.
She pushed my hip "into" my low back and it relieved so much pressure while she was doing it.
I took an Epsom salt bath this evening also, felt good while I was in the tub lol

I need to get into Chiro also. The first time I had Acupuncture, it was an intense cleansing experience, but you have to find someone that knows what they are doing, hence the links to Bastyr University graduates. I have had Acupuncture from their people and people that have "heard about" Bastyr. The results were like night and day.

That's not to say someone that graduates from another program doesn't know what they are doing, but I had no results in my experience.

I miss having chiropractic adjustments. It really helped. But I don't have insurance now so it's not an option.
Got a message from my friend that the sweet little kitten, Nightmeow, suddenly started seizing & foaming at the mouth. He didn't make it. :-( He was such a sweet little baby. I'm going to miss him. I really wish I'd brought him home.
Also found out that my brother's girlfriend in Japan who suddenly ghosted him didn't do it on purpose. She had a massive aneurism and died. The last time my brother talked to her, they were making plans for his next trip and then silence. He finally got a message from one of her co-workers last year who sent him her obituary. He said he didn't know how to process it so he didn't tell anyone and it explains why he got so depressed.
We finally got our Starlink equipment this morning- although the Fedex delivery driver looked super pissed off. I opened the window and thanked her. She didn't respond. She got in her truck and glared at me and then glared at my brother when he went outside and waved at her.
I took the pole that used to hold the dishnetwork dish down to the workshop and cut off the damaged end with the chopsaw. I then tested the fit of the new dish. It's slightly loose so I will need to pad the inside of the pipe and add extra screws for reinforcement. I got some drill bits for drilling metal at the hardware store.
Took my brother to eat at our favorite restaurant to celebrate his birthday. Went to bestbuy to get a wifi adapter for his computer. Grabbed milk from Samsclub. Got home and my brother is setting up the equipment. My back is really giving me trouble so I'm lying down.

Update: We got the dish set in the back of our truck for now and these are speedtest results compared to Viasat (old ISP).
1644452597272.png

I got the waterfall table legs cut to level, and I installed the little metal leveling feet on the bottoms of the legs for good measure. (That wood is gonna move, no way to avoid it.) I did a good job cutting the legs but kind of a hasty job with the feet, because I had stopped to chat with a neighbor and was running low on time at that point, so they're not as well-hidden as I'd like. They might not even be installed correctly. But they work, and the table is now really a proper table and does not wobble. All that remains is sanding and finish!

Tomorrow I'll switch to working on my son's workbench. That means dragging out the tablesaw and using it to cut notches in the ends of 2x4s. Then on Friday my plan is to get all the cuts cleaned up and glue everything together.

So... today was crazy at work. 13k steps in 12 hours. And I didnt have my phone with me for 2 of those hours.

*however*, I can officially say that today was my official last day as a floor nurse. I start the admissions nurse position on Saturday.
I am still putting my office together. I will work the 3 on, one off, 3 on, 7 off. So, I am nervous about that. Here's to hoping for the best!

@zannej I'm sorry to hear about your friends kitty

Sorry about the Kitten and your Brother's GF, Z.

Your Starlink results are mixed compared to mine. My Download is slightly better, and my Upload is 1/3 of Starlink. I would still ditch Charter in a second if Elon starts charging reasonable fees, but it makes no sense now because it's basically on par for me because I don't upload anything. That being said, for people stuck like you, I'm sure it's worth it... Keep updating with good / bad please.

Congrats, Shan!

Yes, Eddie... Welcome in from the dark side. I have been using DDG for years, and use Brave as my platform.

A friend gave me a slice of home baked cheesecake. It was the real deal no graham cracker crumb crust. It reminded me of the time a friend gave me some raw milk and a recipe for making cottage cheese. I ended up with too much cottage cheese so a search for a recipe to use it yielded a San Francisco Firehouse cheesecake recipe. I made it and it turned out well. A day or so later a French friend was over and I told her about it. After trying it she exclaimed, " Mister · · · this is the real thing ." I never tried it again, making cheese or a cheesecake.

I read somewhere about a farmer lady that was tried for distributing raw milk but was found not guilty, the legal term is jury nullification. Her peers must have been farmers (as they should have been).

Last edited:
I have never had Cheesecake, but have never liked Cake in my life. I worked around Cheesecake Factory locations, but was never tempted to go in.

Raw Milk is a perfect example of the backwards nanny state. The Gubment will let us have blank drugs for blank conditions with a laundry list of side effects so long it takes 3 minutes for the commercial, but unadultered Milk is "BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

But... Raw Milk doesn't trade on the NYSE.

I love cake but never liked cheesecake much. I LOVE milk. I found a kind at Samsclub that doesn't taste watered down-- doesn't have extra sugar added and it's great. I have been drinking more milk and I'm starting to feel a little better. I used to drink a ton of milk and felt healthier when I did. Could be psychosomatic though.

Starlink update:
Cons: It seems to have packet loss every 5 to 30 minutes or so and I get disconnected or lag in games. This could be because my mount is janky though. Might be moving more than it should.
Pros: Packet loss/disconnects only last a few seconds and it reconnects. It automatically retargets satellites and gets itself back on track. It is super fast. I downloaded 20gb worth of games in under an hour. On my old connection I couldn't even download 1gb in an hour. I don't have to worry about data limits. My brother downloaded every game in his Steam library. I got Sims2, Sims3, Sims4 and all the packs that went with S3 and S4. It didn't have the data on my Sims2 packs. I will have to see if there is a way to reinstall Sims2 fully without using all of the disks. I had every single expansion pack that ever came out. The modem has pretty long range/strong signal. It reaches my brother's room and Mom's room. The location might be a factor though. The HVAC and water heater are no longer in the way with where we put this modem.

I'm cooking Mahatma yellow rice in the pressure cooker for Mom. She's been wanting it and we were out. She's pretty happy with Starlink. She streamed her Dimash videos and even started using her laptop again now that things load faster. She's able to get signal in her room from the modem.

Finished the little workbench for my son. Basically a small sturdy table made of two 2' 2×10s glued together side by side for the top, 2×4s for the legs, and 2×6s for the skirt. (All scrap from cookie-cutter subdivision construction nearby, of course.) It's tucked away in the back of the garage until his birthday tomorrow.

I felt like a genius when I realized I could save myself some work by "pre-loading" the bench with a few 5 y/o-appropriate woodworking projects: it needs a tiny half-notch cut in the underside of the top so it can accommodate a little bench vise I've got lying around, and the top surface needs a sanding; he'll be happy to complete that on his own, maybe with my help on the notch. Shortening the legs might end up being another project I'll help him with.

Raw Milk is a perfect example of the backwards nanny state. The Gubment will let us have blank drugs for blank conditions with a laundry list of side effects so long it takes 3 minutes for the commercial, but unadultered Milk is "BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

But... Raw Milk doesn't trade on the NYSE.
It's hard to find raw milk. You almost have to know someone with dairy cows. You can sometimes find it in the Amish communities near us. We wanted some for cheese making.

Went to an unusual event last night. The local Boomers Recreation Facility grand re-opened one of their amusement parks last night, just for adults. there was beer and wine, all arcade games, miniature golf, ax throwing, virtual reality machines, go carts, and power boats. We had a blast reliving our past with no kids allowed.

Cheesecake with cherries sauce on top is some fabulously good eating! As is frosted carrot cake.
Plain cheesecake not so much...
Carrot cake is nothing like the name sounds...
And a properly made fresh wedding cake is delicious... in vanilla or chocolate... or both...

Finished the little workbench for my son. Basically a small sturdy table made of two 2' 2×10s glued together side by side for the top, 2×4s for the legs, and 2×6s for the skirt. (All scrap from cookie-cutter subdivision construction nearby, of course.) It's tucked away in the back of the garage until his birthday tomorrow.
Very cool. Are you planning to post pictures?

An update on SpineWorx use. My posture has definitely improved and it's much easier to thrust my shoulders back. I can force a ramrod position against a faced opening. It's difficult but I try to do it once a day.

I'm glad you mentioned that. I completely forgot about it. I should look into getting one. Life has been crazy.
My brother made red beans and rice last night and I don't know it if was that or something else that gave me Montezuma's revenge this morning. I had to spend a significant amount of time cleaning the bathroom. Got some laundry done though so I was able to crawl back in bed with fresh sheets and pillows.

Latest posts

Back