What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shan, I hope the change in pace gives you time to recover. Spicoli, glad to hear your bp is down. Mine is always high when I go to the dentist, but they take it with my feet elevated and right after I walked through the door and have been dealing with traffic. For some reason I always hit every single red light on the way there and get stuck behind people who go 10 to 15 miles under speed limit. LOL. Or the ones that speed up and slow down constantly.

I've still been feeling cruddy. Mostly tired. Internet has been barely working. Tried to load this forum to post earlier and it wouldn't load. My ISP has been barely usable even though I don't think we are capped yet. But it has been raining. I also wonder if they realized we ordered Starlink. Anything involving Starlink seems to not want to load.

Dried mangos would sound good if I didn't hate mangos. LOL I don't know why, but I've never liked them.

I briefly popped in to see my friend, gave him a hug and spotted him gas $ and brought him more groceries. His gf was there to temporarily watch the baby long enough for her to pawn him off on someone else. She was calling someone to come watch him while we were there. She looked absolutely miserable. I got to hold Nightmeow and saw his eyes needed cleaning. I left him inside so he wouldn't chase after my truck.

The good news now: Starlink is coming! It should be arriving Monday and we have a 30 day trial period. If it doesn't work we can return it all for a full refund. We have 14 days to get it working before their billing starts.

So now we need to figure out how to mount Dish McFlatface to the house. Dishy needs to face north. The front corner of our house is North.
1644127041149.png
That is over the porch so I'm thinking I could do an eaves mount closer to the wall of my room. No trees on that side to get in the way. Dishy apparently can adjust itself. You turn it on, tell it to search and it moves around until it finds optimum location. It even moves with satellites it locked on to throughout the day to maintain the best connection.

Now, the problem is, it only comes with a ground mount that you just set on the ground. With cows in the mix, that won't work. But the attachments they sell won't arrive until March if we order them. Our Viasat renews on the 12th and I'm hoping we can have what we need before then to get it working so we won't have to pay for both ISPs in the same month. Mom doesn't want to spend a lot of $ on the mount so I'm wondering if I can repurpose something or get something like this: Amazon.com
1644127358848.png
I could either build some sort of blocking to support it lower on the eaves (which might be a pain) or modify the arms/collar attachment to let it sit lower down and with the arms spread further. Worst case, I could ditch the arms and come up with my own rig for the collar. If we aren't happy with it but it works we can still order the official eaves mount.

Other customers used that rig for Starlink's Dishy.

Another alternative would be to build a non-penatrating frame that straddles the ridge. I wish we could find magnets strong enough to adhere it to the roof though. Putting it on the ridge would make the cable run longer.

Next order of business is getting the ethernet connections to work as the modem has no ethernet ports and is wireless only. But my devices are wireless so that shouldn't be an issue for me. Eventually we can get a Mesh system set up, but as long as it works better than our existing ISP we should be OK.

I'm very excited about getting away from Viasat. It was so bad I had to drive to McDonalds to use their wifi just to look this stuff up!

Another good thing is that this has pushed my brother to agree to cleanup the living room with me bc he desperately wants to have Starlink by his birthday (which is Wednesday). Weird to think my baby brother will be 42.

Sorry for the verbal diarrhea. Got dizzy while cleaning earlier and then racked out for most of the day.

Good luck, Z... You are the resident tester of Starlink for the rest of us.

I would sign up for Starlink if the equipment wasn't $500. Like everything else Elon does, it will probably crash and burn for a while. I'll wait it out and save up a dedicated amount for when it's legit, which will give me time to research it more along with Oneweb, which should be functional by the end of the year. Here's a link of all the satellites...

https://satellitemap.space/?constellation=starlink

I have been in the market for a Sauna, so will be watching this presentation on Tuesday. I'm interested in their price, but know Costco sells Saunas also.

https://drjockers.com/infrared-sauna-therapy-webinar

Starlink sounds interesting if it could be $50 per month. I would be afraid the $99 will go even higher in the future though kit prices should come down. They say they are losing money on the kits at present.

Yeah, they "say" they are losing money on the kits... We all know Elon isn't an idiot, and we also know that Aluminum and a dish and some wire from China doesn't cost $500. His landed price per kit is probably $25. He ordered 50 Million kits from Alibaba, where most of his other stuff comes from anyway.

Starlink is probably the same thing with different internals coded to their system...

https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...offerlist.normal_offer.d_title.604c37aerwni0S

The tracking system would run the price up a bit. BTW the tracking system will add to energy consumption more than a wall wart, if too much I guess that they could be powered down at night.

Thanks, Spicoli. I went out and dragged the old dishes to the front (had to fight old blackberry bushes to get them). Appealed to my brother's ego by saying I needed his hand strength to get the mounting brackets off of the old dishes. Hughesnet one was bulky as hell so I had to prop it up on my truck's bumper and hold it steady for him to remove the bolts. We might have something usable for an eaves mount from one of them. They are different sizes.

Not only was the equipment $500, the shipping was $50 and then we had to pay 10.45% sales tax on it. But, it doesn't come with everything we need. The eaves mount is $40. Cable management kit is $25 and the ethernet adapter is $20. We can do without the mount and cable kits but some of the computers won't be able to connect to the modem without the ethernet adapter and none of those things can ship until March. My old DishNetwork dish that was obsolete still had a pole attached to the mount but it is too tall and is crushed at one end so it will have to be cut off if it gets used. The Hughesnet dish doesn't have a pole. I hink the pole for it is used for the Viasat setup. Either that or there might be a pole lying around somewhere and I will have to look for it tomorrow. Worst case, I can buy a new pole or get a J-arm mount. I hope the local hardware store has the right sized poles.

Meanwhile, I busted hump cleaning up in the living room. My brother was supposed to do it-- he had promised to, but he never keeps promises. He helped for 2 minutes then went and got food. The he helped for about 5min and went and got more food. Then he helped for a couple more minutes and offered to cook for Mom. Stayed out of the room the entire time her food was cooking and left me to fill two contractor bags by myself with no help. Came back in and gave mom her food. She asked him if he was going to help me and he said yes. But then he went to go back to his computer and didn't help. Only thing he did otherwise was tie the bags off and take them outside. My back really hates me right now.

To give an idea of what I had to deal with:
MomsmessFeb6-2022_1.jpgMomsmessFeb6-2022_2.jpgMomsmessFeb6-2022_3.jpgMomsmesscleaningFeb6-2022_1.jpgMomsmesscleaningFeb6-2022_2.jpgMomsmesscleaningFeb6-2022_3.jpg
Lights in that room don't work and the sun went down so I can't see to clean. I could barely see toward the end when I filled that last bag. I think I filled about 6 or 7 bags.

I was going to suggest that you look for an old satellite J-mount or post so I am glad you found some. I saw on youtube where a sawed off post was too big. One guy wrapped the dishy post in tape to shim it, another added some self tapping screws to keep it from wobbling, both added a through bolt. I'm sure you can rig up something that works.

I was going to suggest that you look for an old satellite J-mount or post so I am glad you found some. I saw on youtube where a sawed off post was too big. One guy wrapped the dishy post in tape to shim it, another added some self tapping screws to keep it from wobbling, both added a through bolt. I'm sure you can rig up something that works.
Pretty sure I saw the video you're talking about.
This review was actually helpful:
1644210610058.png
I still need to work on cleaning more tomorrow. I wonder how many more bags of trash I will fill. I really wish there was some sort of bag-holding apparatus that would hold the bag open for me because bending and fumbling with the bag is a pita.

I got 7 more bags filled and ran out of trash bags so I had to go to the store to buy more. I have bag number 8 filled about 3/4 of the way but my back tapped out. I'm completely exhausted. I managed to find an entire trash can under the trash. On of those kitchen trash cans that I forgot I'd set over for my mother to put her trash in but it fell over and she never used it so it ended up getting buried. I also found an empty contractor size trash bag under the pile and was able to use it before I had to go to the store. Lost a lot of time because Mom had me stop at McDonalds and they forgot to give me my drink. I waited 25min and then went inside. My drink had been sitting on the counter the entire time & they forgot. I got a free medium mocca frappe as way of apology.
We're waiting on Fedex to deliver the equipment still. Hope they will bring it out today. Last tracking showed it was in Lake Charles.
MomsmesscleaningFeb6-2022_4.jpgMomsmesscleaningFeb6-2022_5.jpg
Bag number 6 about full with bag number 7 next to it and ready to be filled.
MomsmesscleaningFeb6-2022_7.jpg
Trash can I uncovered
MomsmesscleaningFeb6-2022_8.jpg

Good job on cleaning, but you have to rip that felt carpet up also. It must go.

I don't understand though... Why do people put trash in piles when it takes an extra 10 seconds to set up a bag in a trash bin and 10 seconds to remove it?

I'm going to vacuum and see how clean it comes. I think we have a steam cleaner somewhere as well. Or at least a carpet shampooer vacuum. Shampooer is a weird looking word.
I have given my mother trash bags to put things in, she drops them and then is too lazy to put more stuff in them. I also gave her that 13 gallon trash can. I can't remember what her complaint on that one was. I think it fell over. So, I took the lid off of it and shoved it under the overhang part of her desk. She can pull it out to throw trash away and let me know when it is full so I can take it out. I also set up an end table for her to set stuff on. I had piled stuff on her chair while I cleaned and now I've put some on the end table and other places. We'll have to go through and organize things better. I have a piece of furniture in my room that I can move in there to have more surface area. Might swap it out with the end table because it has doors and she can store stuff inside it. Then I can move a piece of furniture from the front room into my room so I will have more storage space. The cats will miss it, but it will go nicely in my room since it matches my furniture.

Mom is happy with me for now.

Meanwhile Fedex is really sucking and refusing to update us on the location of our package. Wanted us to have login which requires creating an account, but we can't create an account because they don't accept our physical address as valid. So, even if we wanted to set it up to go pick up our package from their facility, we couldn't do it bc we need an account.

Zannej, I'm anxious to see how Starlink works out for you. If I had a neighbor with an interest in electronics we might be able to serve two households with one system. Our DSL costs around $50/mo. I wouldn't like to do a share with someone that wasn't a bit of an electronics buff as I would end up being their ISP. I don't really need the speed as I seldom experience buffering.

My son knows several people that have deposits in for Starlink so they will be interested in your experience.

I was about to use my circular saw today when I decided to check and make sure the blade was square to the table. It was close, but when I loosened the adjustment and tried to retighten it it wouldn't tighten.

16443492953893913466772785445959.jpg16443492474698303952569173705936.jpg

You see there's a kind of tab/handle thing to tighten it with. In the photos it's in the position that's meant to be fully tight, and you rotate it counterclockwise to loosen it. It's affixed in the center with a nut on what looks like a bolt. Well, that's not a bolt, the other side of it is round and cannot be gripped with anything.

In fact I can't get that nut off either, so I can't even replace it with a bolt. Not sure what to do about this. Until I can fix this I can't trust the squareness of the cut even to within reasonable tolerances, because it could just tilt randomly if (when) pressure is exerted.

Flyover are you sure the lever isn't stripped or the bolt just too loose to tighten? To adjust the lever position or remove the lever you remove the retaining clip from under the nut by prying it out with a screwdriver.

Also the bolt may be a carriage bolt which is damaged or the ways may have spread so the bolt turns.

Last edited:
@zannej I havent heard anything about the position yet.i am debating going back to part time if I cant do this. We shall see.
Got a massage today, that was nice. I'm in the exhausted phase of life currently. Not really sure why.

However, my internet did get moved to the "office" yesterday. Just need to ramp it up amd figure out the electricity part.

@zannej you are doing a great job cleaning up, dont let them bring you down. I am PROUD of your efforts!

Eddie, I'll be sure to post about how Starlink is working if Fedex ever bothers to deliver it. They keep making excuses. Said they are very busy. It's not holiday seasons so I don't buy that excuse. It's incredibly frustrating and its making my brother's blood pressure go up. Making mine go up too.

Shan, I presume that you're feeling exhausted due to all the stress. I'm hoping the change to office work will help reduce your stress-- at least physically. Are you able to get one of those heated massaging back rests to use while sitting? That might help.

Mom was accusing me of moving stuff that I didn't move (which I fully expected) but calmed down when I told her I didn't touch some of the stuff. She's starting to clean out her desk a bit more but somehow it got even more cluttered. We really need to box up or throw away a lot of that stuff. A bunch of CDs that won't run on windows 10. My friend offered to come over to help get the mouse-made confetti out of the carpet.

Flyover, I wish I could offer some help on the saw situation but I have no clue. I hope you can get it tightened.

Mom was hungry but the leftovers she wanted had gone bad so she had me get her a whopper from Burger King. I'm going to have to dig out the dark chocolate with almonds and sea salt later. I feel I deserve chocolate. LOL.

I haven't checked the adjustment in my circular saw in years. This is a great reminder that the time to get your tools ready for use is before you need to use them.

@Spicoli43 I was going to go to a chiropractor this time last year, but he said I needed to do massage therapy first because I was so tight and stiff. I haven't tried acupuncture but I am not opposed to it.
She pushed my hip "into" my low back and it relieved so much pressure while she was doing it.
I took an Epsom salt bath this evening also, felt good while I was in the tub lol

Back