What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One trait of pits is that the ones that do attack show no warning sign of aggression, it's like they just suddenly flip out. Which kinda refutes the mantra that it's due to bad owners. Fortunately the stats are low but that's of little comfort if you happen to be in the mix.

Last edited:
I have a feeling my Giant Rats might have peed up in the cubby place as well. I dread going up and finding out.

Attachments

• Loft.JPG
    Loft.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 10
I didn't think I had owned very many vehicles until I gave it some thought. Turns out that I have owned 17 in the car/truck category and 5 motorcycles. Seven in the car/truck category and 3 motorcycles were purchased new. Only 2 cars (used) were financed and I regretted that as they were always worth less than the balance owed.

I have similar regrets about financing vehicles (done it for the two most recent used car purchases out of five lifetime used car purchases -- never bought a new car), but I console myself with the fact I've always gotten extremely good interest rates, and though I didn't always put the up-front savings into high-yield investments, being a generally thrifty person I'm sure I got plenty of value out of whatever I did spend it on.

I've marked the cut lines for the waterfall table legs but haven't gotten around to making the cuts yet. This is more lack of confidence than lack of time.

I did start working on a mini workbench (basically a small, very durable table) for my son's fifth birthday.

As a kid I had a little corner office made of stacked dynamite boxes. I don't recall what I did in the office but I liked it.

So, this is this morning's pic. Much better than last night but the paneling lines are driving me nuts. I need to paint those also. I tried using a paintbrush last night but it didnt work very wellView attachment 27456
I would have painted the lines first.
With the edge of a narrow mini roller or similar small paint roller.
You can still try that now, but you will have to follow up each painted line by brushing the paint out, there will be drips and runs.
Keep the roller fairly dry, and only use one edge, and only load paint onto one edge.
I have also seen foam trim rollers that have a V Shape.

I have had High Blood Pressure since I was 12 or so, around 150 over something. I get down into the 138 range at home and tell that to the Docs at the VA as a reason why I won't take their pills. That's A reason, but the real reason is I'll never take a prescription again because of the deceit involved.

"High" BP used to be 140, now it's 130. I guess they weren't selling enough drugs. "High" Cholesterol used to be 280, then it was 260, 240, 220, 200... Now they want it at 160 or something. Various people I trust say the total Cholesterol for Men is perfect at 200. I'm not taking the pills.

Well, last night I used my BP cuff and was at 123. I figured it had finally died since it's 18 years old, but I took 4 more readings throughout the evening, all in the low 120's.

I was thinking if that's accurate, what did I do to lower it? The only dietary change I could think of is I ditched all added sugar and have been chewing on dried Mango. It turns out that Mango can lower BP, but I have never seen any proof in my situation of any food doing that, at least not significant. I'll keep eating them and look for one of those BP kiosks if they still have them by pharmacies to check.

My doc tells me my total cholesterol should be <200. All the lab reports I have ever seen show that as the top of the target range. I have seen the reports yearly for 40 years now and don't recall it ever being different.

Now my BP is a bit high. I went on a BP med this year. It has been persistently in the 150/90 range for a little while now and I had a real high spike earlier last year. My wife was really worried so I went on the med. Hasn't helped much so far. If I check it within a few hours after I run it's great. Still trying to commit to more lifestyle changes and looking for options. Not big on prescription meds on an everyday basis if I can help it. Keeps us posted on the mangos. I love mango.

I heard that breakdown from a PhD a long time ago, and will have to search for it. If your Doc is around 200, that's a good sign they have done some research. When searching, I run into articles by the "American Heart Association", a fraudulent group you might have heard of.

In the late 40's / Early 50's, they were paid $1.7M by Proctor and Gamble to say that Proctor's "Crisco" was healthy, and followed the same recommendations for other Vegetable oils, Margarine, and even Kids cereals that are loaded with Sugar. That blatant lie continues to this day, while they demonize Butter and Coconut Oil. You can probably guess which group of foods leads to bad health and which doesn't.

I got my Dried Mango from Costco, Organic Kirkland. I can't come close to making my own compared to their price of $16 for 2.5 Lbs.

I have had High Blood Pressure since I was 12 or so, around 150 over something. I get down into the 138 range at home and tell that to the Docs at the VA as a reason why I won't take their pills. That's A reason, but the real reason is I'll never take a prescription again because of the deceit involved.

"High" BP used to be 140, now it's 130. I guess they weren't selling enough drugs. "High" Cholesterol used to be 280, then it was 260, 240, 220, 200... Now they want it at 160 or something. Various people I trust say the total Cholesterol for Men is perfect at 200. I'm not taking the pills.

Well, last night I used my BP cuff and was at 123. I figured it had finally died since it's 18 years old, but I took 4 more readings throughout the evening, all in the low 120's.

I was thinking if that's accurate, what did I do to lower it? The only dietary change I could think of is I ditched all added sugar and have been chewing on dried Mango. It turns out that Mango can lower BP, but I have never seen any proof in my situation of any food doing that, at least not significant. I'll keep eating them and look for one of those BP kiosks if they still have them by pharmacies to check.
How much dried mango do you eat per day?

About a Cup, maybe a little less. I took my BP this morning after some Coffee and it was 139, just now a couple of hours after Coffee and some Mango it says 117.

I also elevate my arm to the "10 and 2" driving position in line with the Heart for an accurate reading. Too low like the arm rest at a Dr. office is artificially high and raised higher than the Heart is artificially low.

120/70 is now considered the new "norm" for blood pressure guidelines.
My total cholesterol is around 100. My last HDL (good cholesterol) was 61 and triglycerides were in the low 20s. And I am 110 pounds overweight.

On the work note. I asked my boss to consider me for a different position, being an admissions nurse. I sincerely hope that I can do it and that I am chosen.
I would work Wednesday through Wednesday, but off Sunday and then off 7 days. So work 3, off 1, work 3, off 7.

Hopeful!

120 / 70 Now? HAHAHA Wow...

For admissions nurse, do you mean just height / weight / BP etc., asking general complaints then putting the chart on the Dr.'s door?

Good Luck, but wouldn't that be too monotonous?

As an admissions nurse (in a hospital setting) you have to take the patients entire medical history, including maternal and paternal. You also do a full assessment from head to toe, a skin assessment, medication list, address if there is an MPOA and/or living will as well as height weight allergies. The patient will already have admission orders and just be waiting for a room to become available. They usually do 10 to 25 admission assessments in a 12 hour period.
Monotonous.... quite possibly so. I have done this a couple of times when we first started doing it, I was too busy to notice if it seemed monotonous or not. Lol
We shall see, it may give me the time needed to allow my back to get better and or the time for me to wrap my head around my future as a floor nurse. So, whether I get it or not... I know my days are numbered on the floor.

@Spicoli where do you find dried mango with no added sugar? Everywhere I see it they add sugar.

Costco, think it's $16 for 2.5 Lb. in store...

https://www.costco.com/kirkland-signature-organic-dried-mangoes,-2.5-lbs.product.100438715.html
Or Terrasoul, where I get Cacao Butter and Nibs for making Chocolate.

https://www.terrasoul.com/products/mango-slices?variant=15619205267515
Terrasoul is more expensive, but they screen everything for Impurities / Heavy metals, where the Kirkland brand does not. Terrasoul will email you a lab test for any product you ask about, been using them for many years.

Costco is just convenient because it's here, but I suspect I'm on the last bag for stated reasons.

Back