What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to build a Time Machine and go back to right before someone decided that having Giant Rats as pets was a good idea. I wouldn't mind if they were wild like Otters. Otters are very cute animals that do funny things by themselves. They don't need us.

I had all my clothes for today laid out on the bed, working clothes, shopping clothes, relaxing sweats after everything was done with the towels, socks, shirts, underroos etc... One or both of my Giant Rats decided that was a perfect place to pee. I didn't know they had that much pee inside them, but they got most of the clothes. Luckily I have a waterproof bed cover.

So no work, no going to the store, no relaxing... Just laundry on everything times 2 because it ain't getting out round 1. They have 4 Giant Rat boxes to pee in in the next room over. They know where it is. If I throw them over the fence in the middle of the night, nobody can prove it. If it wasn't freezing here, off they would go.

It makes absolutely no sense how you have 20 or more of these worthless animals, Z...

Giant Rats as pets
I read this and figured you were talking about small dogs, but then the rest of what you wrote made me realize you must be talking about cats. But you got me thinking about small dogs anyway:

Some small dog breeds have interesting histories. Chihuahuas were bred to dive into holes to kill rats. Daschunds too. I don't know if it was shi tzus, but I heard one of those tiny Asian dogs was bred just to sit in the sleeves of noblemen to keep their arms warm. (That'd be quite a sight!) I'm guessing if people actually used those dogs for the work they were bred for it wouldn't be too bad.

Tiny dogs have a reputation for being yappy and annoying, but in my observation this is because a lot of the people who get those dogs don't really want dogs, they want something small and cute they can treat like a baby or a stuffed animal. (Instead of a dog, which you need to train to be a good dog.) Of course, many people don't train their larger dogs either, and that causes a lot of trouble too, but larger dogs at least don't attract the type of would-be dog-owners who just want something small and cute to treat like a baby or a stuffed animal. And that really messes up those dogs.

I met a pomeranian once that was quiet and obedient. (Still playful when you indicated you wanted to play.) Its owner treated it like a dog. It completely changed my mind about pomeranians and other small dogs.

Every pit bull I've met has been chill, friendly, and generally well behaved. Lots of times dogs of unknown breed that bite people get called pit bulls in the reporting. In general there's a lot of ignorance around pit bulls. Most people can't correctly identify them or distinguish them from similar looking breeds (e.g. boxers, American bulldogs... I've even heard of people confusing Rottweilers and Dobermans for pit bulls), especially if they're looking at a mixed breed dog. Pit bulls are bred to have a strong bite that they can hold for a long time, but there's nothing particularly aggressive about them from a genetic standpoint. Some people get them because of the reputation, and those people want a weapon in dog form (rather than a dog), so like the toy breed owners they mistreat their dogs, resulting in bad behavior. When a poorly trained shi tzu nips at you it's annoying. When an abused pit bull does it that can be a serious injury. Of course many people who get pit bulls because they want weapons, being rather unintelligent people in the first place, also don't really know if they got a pit bull, but that's what they will tell people.

Last edited:
Pit bulls have sort of become like the "assault rifle" of dogs: if it looks scary to you, it's a pit bull! 🤣

I'm not afraid of them but I see that a majority of dogs available for rehoming are pits or pit mixes. The pics seem to confirm to the AKC standard (so no mistaken identity). My comment was leaning to toward the what were they bred for.

I had a Boston Terrier mix and the first time he saw a rat he growled and disposed of it as if it were a rope chew toy. I had a collie that ended up on a farm after I grew up and it herded milk cows and chickens with no instruction. Beagles will chase rabbits with no instruction. So with this experience I would not particularly trust a pit bull alone with children.

However, I have owned both a Dobe and a wolf-dog but I took care. I would not hesitate to own a Pit If I liked the breed but I would take care.

Last edited:
My Sister in Law has a Pomeranian that has never been annoying, but little dogs in general annoy the living bejeesus out of me. I'm lucky that I was introduced to that "type" of Dog early in life so I never had any inclination to get one as an Adult.

My Best friend from age 10-15 lived across the street and had 2 Schnauzer's that would bark constantly whenever they saw me, for the entire 5 years. Let me reinforce that we had met. They did that for anyone at the door, anyone in the neighborhood walking by... Annoying little maggots.

As far as Pit Bulls, the ones I have been introduced to are the most playful Dogs ever, they love attention and their Humans. The bad rap comes from Morons that have no idea how to treat Dogs like Michael Vick.

Back to Cats... My oldest one jumped on the Island and peed all over a Spaghetti Squash today. First off, they are shaped like Mini Footballs, so ??? I have come to the conclusion that probably every other Man has figured out before me... We just aren't supposed to have Cats.

I have one cat, now around 12 years old. When he's gone I will not meow.

I'm still feeling cruddy. My friend is now negative for Covid but he had to go to the ER yesterday because he has pneumonia and couldn't breathe. He can't sleep because he can't breathe when he lies down. He's feeling pretty miserable. I dropped off some food for him and cuddled the little kitten, Nightmeow. Nightmeow then tried to follow me again but I had to put out food to distract him so I could leave.

Spicoli, sounds like the kitties were unhappy about something. I have a waterproof mattress pad on my bed as well.

My brain is not fully working right now.

So..... my pantry is mostly empty and I put the first coat of paint on it. It will take several because the paneling is so dark and I was lazy and didnt want to go buy primer. I already had a new gallon of grey paint (whirlwind is the name) and so I am going to just use that. The room is bigger than what I thought (empty) lol. I would guess that it is 5 feet wide and about 9.5 to 10 feet long. Might measure it tomorrow. I am thinking about just painting the walls that you can see behind where my desk will be (it will be seen on video calls if I work from home). And just leave what i will be looking at the dark paneling.... I wes I'll see after another coat or 2 on this wall. The next conundrum is electricity..... I need it on a different wall and not sure how to go about that. There is an outlet in the living room side of the wall that I need it on, so I guess that I could piggyback onto that and place another box beside there.... idk, decisions, decisions....

Still hate going to work, worked on the skilled nursing floor the other day. Had to do Charge because they had no RNs of their own working from 3 to 7. So.... I swabbed the patients there for their Covid tests and helped the travel nurse that was with my figure out what she needed to do while the CNAs answered call lights. Those 4 hours were good hours.

I read that pitbulls are responsible for 65% of fatalities by dogs. Rottweilers came in second. That sounds scary but there were only 284 deaths in the 12 year period reported. Studies of dog attacks are less accurate as so many go unreported and breed types are are not fully investigated as in deaths.

Shan, the paint is looking good! I have similar type of paneling and painting those grooves is a pain. Glad you had a better day even if you hate going to work. Puppies are cute.

Thing with pits is that they aren't more aggressive than other breeds, they are just more powerful. So when they do attack/bite they do more damage. We had Wymeraners for awhile but they attacked and killed cats so we rehomed them. One of them ripped the throat out of a rottweiler in a fight (after he was rehomed).

Speaking of doggies, mine was looking cute today. She was in her nest of pillows she made next to my bed. Itsy was sleeping on another pillow nearby:
1643780222515.png
1643780285873.png
She's pretty much my spirit animal of how I've been feeling the past couple weeks.

Back