What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fun (and danger) of riding a motorcycle is leaning into the turns. Those half and halfs are ridiculous. Get a MIata and at least have a top to raise if it rains.
Yeah, I just ride my motorcycle around for a few miles... further than that I use the V8 MG Midget with the top down... still plenty of fresh air, but more comfortable...

I've never been on a motorcycle. I'm not good at balancing. LOL.
Yesterday I racked out again and then got up to cook. Had the food ready just as Mom was coming out of her room. Did some minor cleaning.
Today I got up early, got my tools and supplies together and started measuring out the mixture for my floor leveling. The powder had chunks in it so I had to sieve it. Right in the middle, mom paged me so I went to see what she wanted. I don't remember what it was now. I got something for her and set my trowel down somewhere. Couldn't find it. Not sure why I carried it with me. After I got what she wanted she kept asking me questions and I kept telling her I was in the middle of something and needed to get back before I forgot where I was at. Too late. I forgot. And I somehow transposed the measurements and switched the water to powder ratio. Was supposed to be 5 cups powder 2 cups water. I screwed up and did 5 cups water and 2 cups powder. Wasn't mixing right and then I realized my mistake. Had to desperately sieve powder & measure it out and dump it into a dry container-- adding a little at a time to see if it would thicken up. Had to open a new bag of powder (which I wish I'd used from the get-go bc it was in better shape than the one I was using. At least 1/3 of the previous bag was nothing but clumps. Anyway, I got it poured out and had a backup trowel that sucked. It kept sticking to the mixture instead of spreading it smoothly. Back started giving out on me and I had to stop but I filled in some voids and got it smoother. I went back over an our later to smooth it a bit more but stepped in it and messed it up some. I *might* do another layer but am not sure. I'm out of additive. I splattered the stuff all over when it wasn't the right ratio. I'll have to sand the doors and cabinet. Had to practically sand my legs (I was wearing shorts) and arms. Forgot to wear a mask so powder got up my nose. It got on my shirt but it's a $4 shirt so I don't care. LOL.
1662052971507.png

Riding a unicycle requires being good at balancing. Riding a bike or motorcycle does not, because gyroscopic motion keeps you upright. I suppose being good at balancing does help if your intent is to merely sit on a motorcycle or bike while it remains stationary, but that is not how most people use them.

My goal today is to repair the planks that have come loose from my compost bin...I have to do this while supervising a toddler. We'll see how it goes.

Good luck with that, Flyover.

I'm heating up some chicken marsala with taglione pasta that I found at Samsclub. Never had marsala sauce or taglione pasta before so hopefully it is good. Then I will check on the floor again and see if I can sand it.

Did you ride a bicycle when younger?
Briefly, but I had training wheels & they broke and I had a very hard time staying balanced. I have a crooked spine and my pelvis is twisted so my weight doesn't distribute evenly. Then we moved to somewhere that I couldn't really ride a bike. No paved roads and the ground was not flat enough. I never really liked it. Tried riding one years later, kept tipping over and the pedals kept scraping up my legs.

I'm still waiting for the leveling mix stuff to dry more. The thicker spots are still very dark and damp so I'm letting them cure a bit more before I try to sand them. Debating whether I should wait til morning but it might be too solid by then.

Got up and cleaned the floor so I could fold the vinyl sheet back over. Supply line fit through the hole. I need to adjust the positioning and take everything in there out so it will be easier to move around. Then I need to find my tape to do perimeter taping (although I want to run a tack cloth on the floor before taping just in case the shopvac missed dust. It's not very strong. I might have to do some trimming. Need to get the sheet vinyl to lay nice and flat with no bubbles & then give it a good cleaning. Will take pics later.

Good luck with that, Flyover.

I'm heating up some chicken marsala with taglione pasta that I found at Samsclub. Never had marsala sauce or taglione pasta before so hopefully it is good. Then I will check on the floor again and see if I can sand it.
My favorite food besides Shawarma is anything Pasta, but 20 year old me could eat it all day long. 20 plus years later, belly laugh at me and say it isn't doing any work. Old me says if knees and back and lungs worked, I could make belly flat, but belly ignores that and still refuses to work. Belly on strike long time. I'm not giving extra benefits, I'm done negotiating.

The stuff was good. Mom didn't like it too much because it had a wine sauce and she doesn't like the taste of wine. She also said it was fettuccine noodles. I'm fine with that. I wouldn't mind getting it again but I'd have to split it with my brother.
My whole body aches right now. Thunderstorm kicking up outside making me want to sleep.

Was just looking at a video of 3D printed 'angry insect' looking cars... well... only one... at $2+Million prolly won't sell many...

My wrist often feels a little strained after struggling with a stuck jar lid. I have a 6 ft piece of broken bull line pull tape (about 1/2" wide) that I found after a contractor replaced several hundred feet of underground HV feeder cable from my transformer to a power pole which should be good for making strap wrenches.
I am thinking of a small piece with a small handle for jar lid use and a bit larger one for an oil filter wrench. Then what's left for one large enough to expand the bead of those dratted Snapper rider tubeless front tires that love to go flat on me.

I finally fixed the compost bin today. Did a few other things too. I was fairly productive.

Then what's left for one large enough to expand the bead of those dratted Snapper rider tubeless front tires that love to go flat on me.
Might try using RTV/silicon rubber sealant as a lubricant for permanently seating those tires on the rim...

If it is a metal jar lid I find its easier to open them if you use a bottle opener sharp end and pry it slightly to get air in. Otherwise I use this rubber mesh pad that we call "the rubber grippy". We sing "rubber grippy, you're the one, you make my caps come all undone" (to the tune of rubbery ducky).

Just cleared out stuff from some bins in the kitchen and rearranged some stuff but I realize I'm going to have to clean the pantry again so I can put stuff away. Also need to drill holes and put screws in the hinges of the pantry door. That thing is on with only 2 screws right now. And it has shelves on the backside of the door so it drags on the floor whenever I open it. Gonna have to take a scrap piece of wood to get the dummy knob secured. Lost the screws but I will use the bolts that were on the old knob and get some washers and locknuts for them.

G'day all...Got up, took a load to the dump, me and the pup... 15.5 years old... But he's still my pup... Then we went for our 1 out of 2 daily walks down on the St. Lawrence river...

Now that all the important things are done... Going to wash the shutters, and paint them up and the front door... Already did the garage doors...

We'll, I hope YOU all have a GREAT day...

What color are you painting the shutters, RedneckGrump?

I ate after organizing stuff and took a break for a bit. Then argued with myself and convinced myself to clean up the pantry. Discovered that when my brother "cleaned" up the trash awhile back he just shoved a ton of trash into the pantry and back hallway. I filled two 55gallon contractor bags. In fairness, there was expired stuff in the pantry that he hadn't put there. Bloated cans, Mt Dew that expired in 2014, stuff with labels missing bc of mice. Mice really did a number on it. Which is why my friend will be coming over next time he's free to put up some metal mesh for me and cram the holes with steel wool so mice can't get in anymore. I'm hoping I can get him to add more screws to the hinges bc there are only 2 screws holding that door up.

Spent a few hours cleaning and am taking a break now. Will probably nap.

This morning I helped my wife dispose of the pumpkin vines after she harvested five pumpkins out of a patch about 10x5 feet. Then whippersnipped and cut down some junk trees/bushes my neighbor was trying to donate to me through his fence. Hung some pictures in the house. Otherwise not much on the house repair/maintenance/DIY front today.

This morning I helped my wife dispose of the pumpkin vines after she harvested five pumpkins out of a patch about 10x5 feet. Then whippersnipped and cut down some junk trees/bushes my neighbor was trying to donate to me through his fence. Hung some pictures in the house. Otherwise not much on the house repair/maintenance/DIY front today.

Hah, yesterday when I wrote that I had this feeling in my brain like I was leaving out something else I did. Today I saw a little bit of white stuff caked on one of my fingernails up near the cuticle, and remembered: yesterday after I hung the picture I spackled a bunch of holes in my walls where there used to be pictures and curtains and stuff hanging. I washed my hands well afterward but I guess I missed a spot.

Do most people simply use their fingers for spackling like I do? My wife saw me doing this and was like "I'm pretty sure they make a tool for that," and that's when I wondered. I've always used my fingers, at least for the little holes left by nails and screws.

I use my fingers for smearing wood putty/filler, caulk, etc. I don't even wear gloves when using clorox wipes most of the time. Reminds me I need to get some wood filler. I also need to remember where I put my paint stirrer thingy. I got an attachment for my drill, but I need to slow down my drill's speed.
Woke up, sat up, burped up bile that came up my nose and started dripping out. I need to try to remember everything on my list. I think #8 32 locknuts & find some scrap wood. Put a dummy knob on a door that has a bore hole and it doesn't want to stay on.

Latest posts

Back