What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most people choose cars or trucks for an imagined world rather than the one they actually live in. We don't need more HP and speed. Of what use is a car that can achieve 211 mph? Or a 4 door truck that their parents can't climb in w/o assistance?

Call it a hobby or a passion. I personally love motor sports. I worked on cars when I was a kid, my dad had a drag racer when I was little, I attend several races a year typically. If you like to drive performance cars you lo E the feel of a car that can achieve 200 mph though you will probably never go that fast. How a car handles is the best of usually. Your car will probably top 100 mph, do you go that fast? I have a 3/4 ton 4 door truck. I haul stuff, pull trailers and a boat. Can do that with a Honda Civic. And yes my 80 year old mom get into it.its no really any harder than crawling into a little car. Getting out of those things is like crawling out a hole.

Most people choose cars or trucks for an imagined world rather than the one they actually live in. We don't need more HP and speed. Of what use is a car that can achieve 211 mph? Or a 4 door truck that their parents can't climb in w/o assistance?
My sentiments exactly. If we're to be supposed to be impressed by sleek looks, at best the new stuff looks like it's trying hard to be a comically aggressive-looking revival of past greatness from the 1970s sports cars (e.g. Countache, 70s Corvette), with none of the glory of the 1950s classic era (e.g. 57 Bel Air, 59 Impala). At worst it looks like this:
gallery-1491251863-slingshot1.jpg

Meanwhile if we're supposed to be impressed by competitive performance, then looks don't matter at all and we're talking engines and suspension systems and HP and stuff, and I'm just not enough of a car dork for that. It does nothing for me because I'm not into sitting around watching other people drive cars, nor have I ever come close to having the time or money to just drive them on private tracks for fun, nor have any of my family members. Don't get me wrong, it does seem fun! But between a career, lots of kids, a full house to maintain, woodworking, music, and the other stuff I like to do, I don't need an expensive, highly pollutive, time- and space-consuming hobby. (What kinds of sacrifices must such a hobby require, I wonder...?)

What I love about the late 80s/early 90s econoboxes is the simplicity, practicality, understatement, and efficiency--and the ones I like most were incredibly reliable as well, much more so than many modern cars. These were tools that really served an everyday function. They got you where you needed to go every day without otherwise drawing attention to themselves, so you could use them to live rather than have your life dominated by your car.

BTW @68bucks the "econobox" photo you shared is of a 5th generation Honda City, which isn't what I would call a true econobox because it lacks the "box". In fact, the Honda Fit is the American equivalent and it at least comes only in a hatchback! (Though not boxy enough for my tastes.) The econoboxes I dream about are vehicles like these:

Wagovan:
112798d1300303007-1989-honda-civic-wagovan-rt4wd-stock-dsc_0327.jpg

Tercel wagon:
1988-toyota-tercel-wagon-4wd-3.jpg

Call it a hobby or a passion. I personally love motor sports. I worked on cars when I was a kid, my dad had a drag racer when I was little, I attend several races a year typically. If you like to drive performance cars you lo E the feel of a car that can achieve 200 mph though you will probably never go that fast. How a car handles is the best of usually. Your car will probably top 100 mph, do you go that fast? I have a 3/4 ton 4 door truck. I haul stuff, pull trailers and a boat. Can do that with a Honda Civic. And yes my 80 year old mom get into it.its no really any harder than crawling into a little car. Getting out of those things is like crawling out a hole.
I drove my uncle's S2000 for a day. It was fun. If he were a stranger who charged people for that privilege, I'd be willing to pay as much as $10 (plus whatever fraction of gas and maintenance) to drive it for an hour, maybe once every few years, if it was convenient. Like I said, it was fun. Maybe the next time I go to Vegas I'll do that thing where you can drive a Lambo on a track, if it's not too expensive.

I sometimes rent trucks when I need to haul stuff. In the past 5 years I've probably spent $50 or $60 renting large trucks and vans, and that's mainly because I moved twice. They're not exactly a pleasure to drive, though my kids had a blast sitting up front in moving vans. I think what I paid for those experiences was plenty.

So yeah, it'd definitely have to be a passion to want to put more resources into either of those kinds of vehicles!

Meanwhile my microwave gradually tied over the past week, and now no longer heats up food. It will be about $110 to have someone come out and fix it, possibly more if I need to replace it. Glad I have the money in the bank and not in a depreciating pile of metal under a tarp in my garage.

I'm amazed that anyone thinks this
View attachment 28291

Is better looking than either of these
View attachment 28294
View attachment 28292
Like I said, the eye of the beholder. You would probably like one of my Dad's cars. Here is one, '32 Ford Cabriolet, all metal.
View attachment 28293
He has a cool '50 Oldsmobile too but I don't have a picture of it.
I like that 32 better than all the Ferraris, Lambos, McLarens, and every other car in this post combined, including that Soccer Mom SUV thing that's made just a little different by all 132 companies.

My sentiments exactly. If we're to be supposed to be impressed by sleek looks, at best the new stuff looks like it's trying hard to be a comically aggressive-looking revival of past greatness from the 1970s sports cars (e.g. Countache, 70s Corvette), with none of the glory of the 1950s classic era (e.g. 57 Bel Air, 59 Impala). At worst it looks like this:
gallery-1491251863-slingshot1.jpg

Meanwhile if we're supposed to be impressed by competitive performance, then looks don't matter at all and we're talking engines and suspension systems and HP and stuff, and I'm just not enough of a car dork for that. It does nothing for me because I'm not into sitting around watching other people drive cars, nor have I ever come close to having the time or money to just drive them on private tracks for fun, nor have any of my family members. Don't get me wrong, it does seem fun! But between a career, lots of kids, a full house to maintain, woodworking, music, and the other stuff I like to do, I don't need an expensive, highly pollutive, time- and space-consuming hobby. (What kinds of sacrifices must such a hobby require, I wonder...?)

What I love about the late 80s/early 90s econoboxes is the simplicity, practicality, understatement, and efficiency--and the ones I like most were incredibly reliable as well, much more so than many modern cars. These were tools that really served an everyday function. They got you where you needed to go every day without otherwise drawing attention to themselves, so you could use them to live rather than have your life dominated by your car.

BTW @68bucks the "econobox" photo you shared is of a 5th generation Honda City, which isn't what I would call a true econobox because it lacks the "box". In fact, the Honda Fit is the American equivalent and it at least comes only in a hatchback! (Though not boxy enough for my tastes.) The econoboxes I dream about are vehicles like these:

Wagovan:
112798d1300303007-1989-honda-civic-wagovan-rt4wd-stock-dsc_0327.jpg

Tercel wagon:
1988-toyota-tercel-wagon-4wd-3.jpg
I have a friend, a former mechanic I might add, that loves Tercels. My mom drives a Fit. She loves it. I went through the carrier, kids, sports, scouts, school, etc phase to so I get where you are. Drove a lot of bad cars at point. Geeze I remember an AMC Hornet wagon I had. Over heated all the time. But it was cheap. I've always been debt adverse so drive what I could. But I've reached the point now it's all about my wife and I. Can't take it with me they say.

But it was cheap. I've always been debt adverse so drive what I could. But I've reached the point now it's all about my wife and I. Can't take it with me they say.
Something about this is missing the mark for me but I'm having trouble articulating it. (Here goes anyway...) Even though I'm no longer short on money, I still like econoboxes for being inexpensive to buy and maintain, enough that they are still the only type of car I'm interested in personally owning. And for me, while I enjoy the satisfaction and self-sufficiency of working on my own cars as much as I can, it's not a hobby and I don't seek to make it one. It would be an expensive hobby if it went that way anyway, and I like my hobbies cheap. My total lifetime investment in either music or woodworking/DIY is under $1000, and that's after ~30 years doing the former and ~10 years doing the latter.

But liking cheap hobbies isn't because I'm hoarding my money, either. I have seen my bank statements, there is definitely large outflow! I just can't fathom prioritizing it so that "hobbies" gets a very large chunk of that outflow. Assuming I maintain or gradually increase my earning potential through the end of my career, I think when our kids are grown my wife and I will travel a lot, and I'd like to design and (pay to have someone) build my own house or getaway cabin. And I'll probably be more willing to buy certain pieces of music and home DIY gear that I pass on now, maybe slightly higher quality gear, but for me the joy really comes from doing more with less. For example, I bought a $150 guitar from China and swapped out the hardware and upgraded the pickups (total additional costs ~$240) and now it sounds as good as (and looks even cooler than) a $3000 name-brand guitar. I could afford a $3000 guitar if I really wanted to, but it would feel like a waste.

Like I said, the eye of the beholder. I think the GT40 is one of the most beautiful cars ever built.
I didn't say GT 40... I said newest Ford GT... Ford doesn't even own the name "GT 40" and isn't allowed to use it...

The scoops all have functions, either to help produce HP or cooling. They aren't faux on either of those cars unlike many past American sports cars. Thses cars are built for competition and there are people that do race them. They are not econo-sedans, grocery getters, or the family Truckster.
LOL! The C8 and Ford GT are grocery getters... that's what they are mainly used for... the Shelby GT 40 was an all out race car...

My 2 favorite cars of all time were my 91 Ford Festiva and my 96 Geo Metro. The festiva withstood a rollover on the interstate with me and my kids in it and I still drove it for a year after that (lots of plastic and ducttape).... then I gave it to a family of 6 and the drove it for a few months before trading it for a early 80s Oldsmobile that they all actually fit in.
I accidentally rear-ended a small SUV in my Metro... drove it for a while in Nursing school but then bought a Hyundai Elantra.... the Elaborate was hands down the best car I have owned..... then I bought. Hyundai Tuscon Eco edition and it has been fantastic also.... I'd really like to have a truck but the gas mileage is just ridiculous and my Tuscon has been paid off for a couple of years and has a little over 65k miles.

The guy stopped back by today.... he picked up the tree my son cut down and also picked up a couple of things sitting in my driveway.... I got brave and asked about the yard.... we walked it and I told him I didn't want most of what was laying around, he is going to take it and also.... he is going to give me a price to cleanup the yard... weedeat, mow and such.
He is supposed to call me in the new few days with a price. He will probably have to come 3 times to do it all, but I am excited for sure.

I picked my moms remains up today, they put them into all the different containers/jewelry.

I feel like I am making headway finally, it gives me some hope of all the things that need to be done.

I am still waiting on death certificates so that I can do that stuff.

I go back to work Thursday this week, I'm hoping my dumpster gets delivered next week so that I can keep momentum going.

As far as sports cars/classic cars go..... they are pretty to look at and fun to ride in, however.... I'd rather have my house/student loans paid off than drive a fancy car.

Shan, I'm glad you're getting some help but sorry to hear about the floor rotting. Might want to talk to folks at the sistersite flooringforum.com. Several people from here are over there as well. I hope you can get that fixed without too much trouble.

I think my parents had a Metro at some point. For some reason I like the look of the Volvo Amazon vehicles.

I did like the look of the PT Cruiser but I heard they are not good vehicles. My Honda Ridgeline is not the prettiest truck, but I like the ladder frame and the trunk in the pickup bed.

Sunday my friend came out and finished hooking up my water supply lines with no trouble. He was able to get the old ones off easily so either I'm a total wuss & have super weak hands, or I was trying to turn them the wrong way. LOL. Visited him briefly. His fluffy gray kitten was missing and he thinks the mailman took him (apparently the mailman picked the kitten up and cuddled him every time he came by) which may be a good thing bc the kitten needs a better home. The tortie kitty just had another litter. Calico, calico tabby, orange, and black kittens from the pic my friend sent. I think this is the poor cat's 5th or 6th litter. Only one of her kittens from previous litters is still alive as far as I know. I wish I could bring her home. She's a fluffy orange kitten who is supser sweet and cuddly. Monday I was dead to the world. No idea why I was so exhausted but I slept all day. Got up to cook for Mom and then went back to sleep. Tuesday I binge-watched The Crazy Framer's videos on building a house alone. https://www.youtube.com/c/Thecrazyframer
Other crews did the concrete foundation part and he does the framing. I'm on episode 29 of season 2 (2nd house he's working on). He's in Canada so his camera kept freezing, compressor wouldn't work, nail guns kept failing, etc. But the dude has amazing balance and I'm sure he would give safety people nightmares with the stuff he does-- climbing all over while carrying materials. He finally caved and got a rope tether for a gable job after people nagged him. It really is impressive what he does without help (for the most part). He did pay someone $50 to forklift up some of the heavier materials to higher floors and he got a crane to lift the gables and one-piece showertub units up to the top floor (said he had to put the baths in because he couldn't close up the walls until they were in because they were too big to fit through the doors).

My left knee doesn't like me and hasn't been cooperating. Mom said her left knee is now sore after the fall. I joked that my knee is having sympathy pains. I cleaned up a lot of crap (literally) today. One of the cats decided she was mad at the area around the sink and left some signs of protest. Another cat decided to go full Amber Heard on Lady Sylvanas' bed. I have to gather up all of the cat beds and wash them.

My brother was supposed to help me with stuff on Friday. He swapped shifts with a co-worker & went in on that person's day but now the person has Covid and he has to cover the Friday shift as well. The person desperately wants hours & is quite upset about having to miss work.

Meanwhile my microwave gradually tied over the past week, and now no longer heats up food. It will be about $110 to have someone come out and fix it, possibly more if I need to replace it.
Was going to say I just bought the biggest most powerful microwave for only $140... Panasonic 2.2 cu.ft., 16 1/2" platter, Inverter tech, 1300 watts, etc...
But... that was just before the plandemic... now more like $220 & up... $175-200 used/reconditioned...
That was an adventure in itself... because my 74 year old back and hips were hurting at the time, I didn't want to wrestle one from the store to my car, from my car to the house, from the front porch to the kitchen... so I opted for the convenience and lower price of ordering one online and getting it delivered... that didn't happen... got a note from the young female mail lady it was too big and heavy for her so I had to go to post office and complain about that... and... wrestle... wrestle... wrestle...

At worst it looks like this:
Whenever I see someone driving around in one of those 3 wheeled half car/half motorcycle things I suspect they drive it for a 1/2 hour and then slap themselves on the forehead and wonder: "WHY did I drop $25K on this thing?"

Whenever I see someone driving around in one of those 3 wheeled half car/half motorcycle things I suspect they drive it for a 1/2 hour and then slap themselves on the forehead and wonder: "WHY did I drop $25K on this thing?"
Those things scare the heck out of me, looks like a death trap. I suppose it's no worse than a motorcycle.

Was going to say I just bought the biggest most powerful microwave for only $140... Panasonic 2.2 cu.ft., 16 1/2" platter, Inverter tech, 1300 watts, etc...
But... that was just before the plandemic... now more like $220 & up... $175-200 used/reconditioned...
That was an adventure in itself... because my 74 year old back and hips were hurting at the time, I didn't want to wrestle one from the store to my car, from my car to the house, from the front porch to the kitchen... so I opted for the convenience and lower price of ordering one online and getting it delivered... that didn't happen... got a note from the young female mail lady it was too big and heavy for her so I had to go to post office and complain about that... and... wrestle... wrestle... wrestle...
If women want to compete they should be up to the task.

Those things scare the heck out of me, looks like a death trap. I suppose it's no worse than a motorcycle.
The fun (and danger) of riding a motorcycle is leaning into the turns. Those half and halfs are ridiculous. Get a MIata and at least have a top to raise if it rains.

Seen a couple of them drive around here at night with about 100 lights strung over them... guess they want to make sure they are seen sitting down low inside...

Back