What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think you might have a hiatal hernia?
I will have to google what that is. Might be acid reflux. Some of the meds I take can cause that. It only happens every once in awhile. I drank a lot of water and some water came up with it.

My left knee is hating on me today. Gonna see if some naproxyn helps. I keep forgetting to take my vitamins and I think I need to add some glucosomine to the mix. Mom takes it and it helped her knees.

I went in and tried to straighten the vinyl sheet up a bit more but stuff sitting on top of it is making it impossible to move it. Got some tool boxes, a shower seat, and other stuff I need to move off of it. Some I will probably have to temporarily set in my room in order to get stuff moved. Shower seat is supposed to go in Mom's bathroom eventually but right now there is no room. Still need to take some of the painter's tape off the vinyl sheet and clean with apple cider vinegar.

I need to move a piece of furniture out of my room so I can set it up for Mom. There is a big furniture piece in the front room that I eventually need to move to my room. If my knee cooperates with me today I might see if I can get it moved. I have a nice little end table I got from a flea market that has doors on it. I used it to set up a mini fridge I no longer have.

I keep typing and forgetting to take medicine. LOL.

Mowed the grass, and added a surface clamp to my shed deck box so it can stay closed that way instead of with a rock propped against the doors.

...then I made chili.

Mowing was priority one this morning, then checking sprinkler function, replacing a couple sprinkler heads, and prepping a small area for tilling / planting new grass.

The Wildfire smoke said no to all that, so I cleaned inside, which lasted a whole 30 minutes.

I made Chili also, got some Hot smelling Jalapenos this time... Hoping for a little face burn.

I LOVE the view of the Mountains right now!

Attachments

• Smoke.JPG
    Smoke.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Think you might have a hiatal hernia?
I will have to google what that is. Might be acid reflux. Some of the meds I take can cause that. It only happens every once in awhile. I drank a lot of water and some water came up with it.

My left knee is hating on me today. Gonna see if some naproxyn helps. I keep forgetting to take my vitamins and I think I need to add some glucosomine to the mix. Mom takes it and it helped her knees.

I went in and tried to straighten the vinyl sheet up a bit more but stuff sitting on top of it is making it impossible to move it. Got some tool boxes, a shower seat, and other stuff I need to move off of it. Some I will probably have to temporarily set in my room in order to get stuff moved. Shower seat is supposed to go in Mom's bathroom eventually but right now there is no room. Still need to take some of the painter's tape off the vinyl sheet and clean with apple cider vinegar.

I need to move a piece of furniture out of my room so I can set it up for Mom. There is a big furniture piece in the front room that I eventually need to move to my room. If my knee cooperates with me today I might see if I can get it moved. I have a nice little end table I got from a flea market that has doors on it. I used it to set up a mini fridge I no longer have.

I keep typing and forgetting to take medicine. LOL.

Took my meds, took the trash bag out of the can and set it aside-- too heavy to carry out. Put a new trash bag in. Editing because my keyboard went wonky and wouldn't let me type. One of the keys was stuck. I took it apart and cleaned it but I had to reboot my computer to clear whatever error was going on.

Last edited:
Ordered a spin down sediment filter for my well water system. I found it for $34.16 w/tax and shipping on FB marketplace. I can follow it with a regular sediment filter.
1662392570975.png

Nice. I wouldn't even know where to connect a sediment filter in. Most of the lines are already so full of sediment, they'd have to be replaced for it to do any good. Water heater is a hot mess (no pun intended).
The end table I mentioned isn't as little as I'd thought. I can't seem to lift it by myself. Might see if my friend can help if he can come over today. He's supposed to but he might be too tired. My brother is already at work so he can't help.
Kitties and doggies are spread out napping in my room (and on me). Looks like i might rain again.

Friend hasn't read my messages yet so I might give lifting the end table another try.

I have a couple of little 3 wheelers similar to this that come in handy around the house. Just use 1 or 2 and pick up the other end a little to move. Useful or heavy boxes or bags as well.

1662402268253.png

I wish that would work on the heavy trash bags, but part of the problem is we have bottlenecks. Boxes in the way and stuff has to be lifted over and around.
I organized my tools to make sure we had everything we needed. Picked up my friend and he opened up the box with the air compressor and nail guns (Porter Cable 5 gallon air compressor with 3 different types of nail guns). I also have a Surebond pneumatic staple gun. I had the sturdy wire mesh and some wire cutters. Had to dig out my aviator's snips because the wirecutters were too small. Friend stuffed steel wool in the mouse hole in the ceiling, stapled up the mesh over all of the holes big enough for mice to get through. Then he put screws in the hinges on the pantry door. Each hinge was only held to the wall with 1 screw. Apparently the door was lacking hinges as well. Used my brand new B&D Matrix drill/screwdriver that has an LED to illuminate the drilling/screwing area to make it easier. Moved some furniture around, hauled some trash bags out. I hauled out two and my friend got the heavy one.

Went to the store to get my friend some groceries until he gets his food stamps. Picked up my prescription, dropped him off and helped him bring groceries in. The toddler was happy to see me. He always wants a hug and then doesn't want to let go.

Got back home, got food for Mom, ate some salad, went and sat down and took my socks off. Cats climbed on me and then mom called wanting me to go all the way across the house to put something up in the fridge when she's literally like 6ft away.

Decided to get the end table in place and discovered she's been dumping trash all over again. Got a contractor bag and picked up the trash. Got the end table in place and now I'm going to rest. I still need to change out her trash bag but my back needs a break.

At the store it was pretty packed and only 3 lanes were open. One was 20 items or less. There had been 4 but one closed down as soon as we walked up. Friend went to go look at more stuff while I stood in line at self checkout. Saw a guy behind me with one item. Told him to go ahead. Girl behind him was holding two heavy cases of soda. Told her to go ahead. Then saw a girl with armfuls of ice cream so I told her to go ahead before her stuff melted. Then friend came back and waited with me. All of the people I let go ahead of me checked out quickly.

This is inside the pantry on the ceiling where my friend covered holes large enough for mice. Light in the pantry makes everything look yellow but its actually white.
1662421446878.png

Friend really liked the pneumatic staple gun.

I'm probably going to take a nap in a few minutes after I take some naproxyn.

The Carolina Dog (100 miles distant) showed up on Adopt a Pet again but I don't have a way to directly communicate with the foster home person. It has been in foster care for over a year. It has been neutered now and the adoption fee is the same $125 which is reasonable. If there were some way for me to have a discussion with the person I might be able to get somewhere but I am not going to jump through hoops to rescue a dog. They are more concerned about the dog than an old guy that needs a friend.

What color are you painting the shutters, RedneckGrump?
Painted them a medium gray to go with red brick... As soon as I figure out again how to get the pictures off my phone, I will post them...

Today, plan to go for our walk, Carl and I20210911_162002.jpg

Then check in with a hardware store where I bought 60 sheets of drywall for $2.00 a sheet... They are almost perfect but may have a very little bit of damage on them... But drywall here is normally $15 a sheet... It cost me $135 vs $900... I want to redo the walls in my shop and build a bathroom in the basement...

He's clearly a good boy.

My only DIY project today is to get my house number spray painted on the flat surface of a large rock positioned under our mailbox. Yesterday I cut a stencil out of the cardboard from a case of beer. (Non-alcoholic Budweiser: I quit drinking about a year and a half ago, and now I drink more beer than I ever used to!)

The Carolina Dog (100 miles distant) showed up on Adopt a Pet again but I don't have a way to directly communicate with the foster home person. It has been in foster care for over a year. It has been neutered now and the adoption fee is the same $125 which is reasonable. If there were some way for me to have a discussion with the person I might be able to get somewhere but I am not going to jump through hoops to rescue a dog. They are more concerned about the dog than an old guy that needs a friend.

They don't list a phone number or email?

They don't list a phone number or email?
No, applications have to be submitted through PetFinder or Adopt-a-Pet. No contact until approved. It's no wonder they have a surplus of animals.

Then check in with a hardware store where I bought 60 sheets of drywall for $2.00 a sheet... They are almost perfect but may have a very little bit of damage on them... But drywall here is normally $15 a sheet... It cost me $135 vs $900... I want to redo the walls in my shop and build a bathroom in the basement...
I recall an old FW magazine article where drywall was used to make wainscoting. Quarter round or cove molding is used inside the DW strips and chair rail molding on top.

1662479778001.png

I wish that would work on the heavy trash bags, but part of the problem is we have bottlenecks. Boxes in the way and stuff has to be lifted over and around.
Maybe you could do some stacking to clear at least a 3 foot wide path everywhere in the house.
Label the boxes with magic marker so that don't have to get them back down to see what's in them.
I picked up a couple of these things when they go on sale for $7.95 each. Strong enough to even put the tires of a small car/hot rod onto so can shove it into a corner of the garage out of the way.
https://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-x-12-in-1000-lb-capacity-hardwood-dolly-63098.html

I recall an old FW magazine article where drywall was used to make wainscoting. Quarter round or cove molding is used inside the DW strips and chair rail molding on top.
I thought the wood wainscoting was to protect the lower plaster/drywall of the walls from chairs, kicks, etc.?
Need something to protect the drywall wainscoting, LOL!

Latest posts

Back