What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy Birthday, Buzz

I put in my smooth top electric range, and almost killed it with a Cast Iron pan that I usually drop from an inch or so on the Gas grates. I give myself a week with SS pans, locked the C.I. away for good I guess. The Wok is useless also. I would have gotten a basic electric coil range, but I wanted the Air Fryer and built in temp. probe. I could make Wok food every day, all meals, so this will be an adjustment.

Last week, I took care of a slow leaking bathroom drain and got rid of the stopper that was collecting crud. I just got this replacement stopper and tried it out, plugged up the water for several hours without it draining. Now, it can't get funky because it sits slightly elevated over the basin because it's sitting on the rubber gasket. Somebody has to pull it out to drain the final 3 ounces or whatever, so anybody can inspect it every time. I won't go back to the pull up / push down stopper again if this thing keeps working... I'll get some more for much cheaper right from China for the other Bathroom...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165688123740

Done with lunch. I also stopped at the dealership that charged me for oil when I provided the oil-- says so in the notes. The guy who charged me said it's been "too long" (hasn't even been 30 days) and I would need to speak to a manager. I asked where the manager was. He said he'd be in tomorrow morning. So, I will call. And if they refuse to refund it or give a credit, I will tell the credit card company I was charged for something I didn't receive & do a chargeback for the oil plus the tax on it (9.95%).

I'm going to test & see if a wok can work on the induction cooker. If not, I'll stick to my regular lighter weight pans.

Spicoli, I hate how the sink stoppers collect gunk. My stopper won't even go all the way down anymore.
I'll be replacing it with a popup drain though

Buzz, I almost forgot about the scan. They couldn't quite isolate it-- either it needs a new gas cap or an evaporator coil. The gas cap looks fine to me. I think I have an evaporator coil in a box somewhere. The engine is making a weird thudding noise though. I don't like it. At least I think it's the engine. Something is thudding and its either the wheels or something under the hood. I hope a tool didn't get left in there or something.

Last edited:
@BuzzLOL i hope you had a great birthday!!!!

Shan, it looks nice, but I ran the comparison between electric heating from one of those and it was 4X the cost of Natural Gas...

It more for aesthetic reasons. I actually don't have gas of any sort on my property, its all electric.

Today has gone by pretty quick at work. I have about an hour left, waiting on the next admission...

Hope everyone is having a great day!

A peek into the past. The crop of the ears are not the only thing for me but it's something I would be looking at every day so I want it to be right. Here's what Dobies looked like when I fell in love with the breed. Obviously others don't agree with me thus the standard has drifted. But for me as with art the proportion is important. This is Ch Rancho's Dobe Storm.
1674197050875.png

Last edited:
Ok, maybe it wasn't a coil, but I know the term evaporator was used. I'll have to get the diagnostic printout they gave me from Autozone. I also need to replace my cabin air filter (pretty sure I can do that one by myself).
I got blown off by the dealership on getting refunded for them charging me to use my own oil (they charged me for oil even though they used the oil I brought). Had to call at least 7x before I finally got through to the manager. Said I didn't buy the "Its been too long" bs bc it was less than a month and that it wasn't like I was returning a part or anything-- they charged me for my own stuff as if I'd bought it from them. Finally got them to agree to a refund-- but then they were going to lowball me and only pay $35 when it was $37.20. Pretty sure they had tax on top of that and are screwing me on the tax though. But I can deal with $3 loss. The acted like it was so unreasonable of me to want a refund for something I didn't get. Probably won't go up there again unless I absolutely have to.

So, today I woke up early & made those calls. Took my vitamins & anti-inflammatory meds, and went to let Mom know about the refund. She asked me to put water in Fippy's bowl and when I saw how bad the toilet was, I just had to clean it. Mom can't lean over to clean without falling & my brother has never cleaned a toilet and refuses to clean it. Apparently its "too gross" for him-- which is his excuse for never cleaning up after the cats. I spent an hour scrubbing the toilet. Some of the stains would not come out and some of it is rust/iron from the water, but I think the results were OK.
1674237517974.png1674237535596.png
I wish they made longer toilet wands bc the bending did not help. I had to sit on the floor (first I tried kneeling on one knee but that was hurting my side/back) and eventually I just sat down on the nasty floor (which I will have to clean later). I was going to pick up trash but last time I threw stuff away Mom yelled at me bc she wanted to keep some of the trash. She'd fallen asleep so I will have to wait until she's awake so she can tell me what is trash and what is not. Then I will have to take the trash bag out (my brother is supposed to do that but never does). Shoulder & collarbone on left side hate me right now though.
I used a Clorox toilet wand, clorox toilet gel cleaner stuff (which doesn't come out of the bottle very well), Fabuloso (couldn't find lysol spray), clorox wipes, a rubbermaid electric brush scrubber (looks like a toothbrush), and paper towels.

Buzz...Happy Birthday young man!
Thank you Ron...
World's longest Mercedes Benz Sprinter... apparently an after market conversion from Poland and right hand drive for England. Passenger doors on other curb side:
52636873120_9d3b2bf527_k.jpg

Ok, maybe it wasn't a coil, but I know the term evaporator was used.
Finally got them to agree to a refund--
I saw how bad the toilet was, I just had to clean it.
Evaporator sounds like the radiator for cooling in the HVAC system...
Glad you got most of the refund... probably wanted to charge you for handling your oil...
And glad you're getting some work done...

Speaking of cabin filters. I replaced the one in my Toyota recently. You simply drop the glove box and it's done. I then went to my XT-5, dropped the glove box, saw nothing, emptied glove box, removed the glove box hinge plate. Disconnected the recoil spring (counterbalance) for the glove box. Still nothing. I had to remove the box out of the track. Finally saw the cabin air filter, but they had it sealed with a torx 30 security screw. Once I removed that, the filter replacement took 10 seconds.
I swear, these idiot designers purposely modify to keep most backyard mechanics away from touching anything, so now I know why the dealer wanted to charge me $125 labor, and $33 for the filter, that I purchased from Amazon for $11. Geesh!

They gave me the invoice pages out of order and going through them and the charges I still can't find where they came to the amount they charged me. Although, I realized that the "discount" I got from Hertz for having to rent a vehicle while they worked on my truck was charged back to me on the dealership invoice. So, I didn't actually get any discount since they passed it on to me in a deceptive way. It was $60. They also mentioned evap leak but didn't fix it and had no other notes about it. There was a speed sensor on the wheel they fixe the bearing on and they charged for that.

Havasu, the older models of my truck have little clips to detach the glove box. Mine has a screw and clips. I think it's philips head though so I should be able to get it open. I vaguely remember doing it before.

I napped for awhile and just cooked for mom. Collarbone is still hurting on the left side and I'm not sure why.

Tomorrow I'm going to have my friend look at the paperwork from the dealership to see if he can make more sense of it. I can't read it without a magnifying glass or reading glasses.

So.... what did I do today..... I went to work, and a few hours in a felt like I might pass out..... so now, I have bought myself an overnight stay... ct chest for blood clots was negative, going to have an echo in the morning..... fun stuff....

Did I mention. I am not a great patient?

Lol, anyhow, just whining.... thankful for great health insurance

Good Morning Ladies, Gentleman...
So, How are we all do'in, it's been a while... Not a lot happening around here... Just been down in the dumps... My Pup Carl passed away Last Monday at the age of 15.5... Very very quiet around here without him... Even the cat is missing him...

Our daughter in Law did a wonderful needlepoint (freehand) of the boys for a Christmas gift for Lorie and I..

Putting all new contemporary plugs and switches throughout the house. Going to have to put in a new electrical panel. Going to do that in the next coming weeks... Lorie is painting all the bedrooms, we hadn't painted them since we moved into the house. Thinking of buying laminate flooring, and putting that up as a backsplash in the kitchen. Probably going to have to glue it on the wall, But believe it will look sharp. What else is new around here, Ummm going to have to think about it...

Happy Birthday, @BuzzLOL, Hope YOU had a great Birthday Buddy...

Going to go and try to get caught up, did lots of reading to this point, but have lots more to read yet... Also want to wish all of YOU the very Best in 2023...

20230116_132546.jpg

These days we have been looking at trailers and RV's Thinking we may like to get out and see North America...

Well as YIU can see by this, the brain a little scattered,,, Hope to make better sense in the coming days...

Cheers~

Good Morning Ladies, Gentleman...
So, How are we all do'in, it's been a while... Not a lot happening around here... Just been down in the dumps... My Pup Carl passed away Last Monday at the age of 15.5... Very very quiet around here without him... Even the cat is missing him...
Sorry RedNeck. It sucks having a pet (family member) pass. There are plenty of dogs that need to be adapted though. I’d encourage you to do that.
Putting all new contemporary plugs and switches throughout the house. Going to have to put in a new electrical panel. Going to do that in the next coming weeks... Lorie is painting all the bedrooms, we hadn't painted them since we moved into the house. Thinking of buying laminate flooring, and putting that up as a backsplash in the kitchen. Probably going to have to glue it on the wall, But believe it will look sharp. What else is new around here, Ummm going to have to think about it...
Sounds like you will be busy!
These days we have been looking at trailers and RV's Thinking we may like to get out and see North America...
Ruby and I would like to get our Motorhome out soon. It’s been sitting for too long.

So.... what did I do today..... I went to work, and a few hours in a felt like I might pass out..... so now, I have bought myself an overnight stay... ct chest for blood clots was negative, going to have an echo in the morning..... fun stuff....

Did I mention. I am not a great patient?

Lol, anyhow, just whining.... thankful for great health insurance
Shan, being in the hospital is no fun! I hope you get out soon!

That's how the dealers stay $$multimillionaires...
Car designers/engineers take no input from dealers, but it is true they sometimes make things difficult to service on purpose. If any dealers are multimillionaires, it's probably not by charging people for cabin air filter service. Like most retail, the majority of car dealerships operate on fairly narrow margins. The car companies themselves seem to oscillate between earning a lot of money and losing a lot of money quarter by quarter, and even there only the upper level execs seem likely to include multimillionaires. (Just like at any other large company.)

As for the XT5 and the idiocy of its design, @havasu what else do you expect from GM? I'm actually kinda bewildered why someone who knows anything about cars would buy a GM product, especially a newer one, so I'd be fascinated to know the reason if you've got one.

Yesterday my son and I started building a small shelving unit to go on my basement workbench. Today we might finish it up, plus I've gotta change my own car's front brake pads and inspect the rotors to see if they need to be replaced.

My DIL experienced a shutdown of her Impala. It turns out a "fly-by-wire" accelerator step motor had failed. Since the dash had to be removed for access just the labor to replace was an estimated $1200. My son removed the dash and cleaned the step motor. It's been OK for over a year now but she won't drive it. It may have been another occasion but she was once locked in and couldn't get out. I guess all cars and most motorcycles are "fly-by-wire" now. I recall when a local TV news person was killed on the interstate when her car stalled in rush hour traffic.

Latest posts

Back