What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I caulked the barn door today but I haven’t received my caulk condoms yet so I sealed the leftover tube with blue tape. I think the condoms are on a slow boat from China. It makes me wonder how much profit there is after shipping costs.
View attachment 30648

Yes, the hole is for the dogs. I built a cover for the hole out of the same material. We normally leave the bedroom door open but if we have company, Ruby, won’t let me shut the door unless there is a way for the dogs to get out. The dogs have a way to go outside if they need to.

The dogs aren’t allowed on the bed but they do sleep in the same room as us. They are the first line of defense in case of a home invasion. If the invaders make it past the dogs, which is doubtful, the second line of defense is either Mr Glock or Mr Remington 870.

I got a lite coat of primer on the door but it is super humid today because it’s sprinkling. It will take forever for the primer to dry.

View attachment 30649

The upper rail of the door will be for hooks to hang stuff on. I pre-drilled the holes for the hardware although I won’t put the hardware on until the door is in the bedroom because, the way I calculate it, the door is going to be difficult to get into place even without the rollers installed.
Cool door. I built something similar for the door of my shop attic. I used left over 2x pieces and left over barn siding from when I did the walls. I bought the lexan for the window mortise and tenon and pegged the joints, no screws. It actually rolls on idler pullies on the bottom on 2 grooves I cut into the floor. The design needs some refining still. I didn't have the head room to hang it on a track like a barn door. 20230122_165130.jpg

You're never holding any money you are just making house payments so it's actually just an added cost of ownership. At least that's the way I looked at it so I built my own house to avoid it
You had the cash to build your own house, but you compare the price of Coffee by the ounce?

Cool door. I built something similar for the door of my shop attic. I used left over 2x pieces and left over barn siding from when I did the walls. I bought the lexan for the window mortise and tenon and pegged the joints, no screws. It actually rolls on idler pullies on the bottom on 2 grooves I cut into the floor. The design needs some refining still. I didn't have the head room to hang it on a track like a barn door. View attachment 30652
Very nice!

You had the cash to build your own house, but you compare the price of Coffee by the ounce?
No I didn't have the cash to build a house. I had a plan, instead of investing in new cars and making payments I built a house. I was a slow builder so I was able to pay for everything I could nail up in a pay period. It took me three years to build it.

With respect to coffee I just don't yield to the fad of paying double or triple the price because someone says a roast has a fruity taste with notes of chocolate and whatever. If it tastes good I go for the lowest price. I am frugal even though I can afford a Starbucks frappe whatever I have never had the urge to try one.

Men today are sheeple. They will purchase wine or coffee just because some self appointed critic gives it a good rating. And with respect to style they adhere to uniformity. I grew a beard for the bicentennial and liked it better than shaving and never looked back. Nowadays beards and even stubble have become uniform.

Last evening a friend said he attended a funeral and there were only a few men in suits. A larger number wearing open collars and untucked tails under blazers or sport coats. Not wearing socks with loafers is another trend in uniformity. I read this online;

2004: How Untucked Shirts Became a Male Uniform​

No longer just for slobs and summering preppies, dress shirts with untucked shirttails hit the front row and red carpet in the mid-aughts and never went away.​
However my friend forgot that recently he had informed me that in his younger days he subscribed to GQ and patterned his attire accordingly. He just resents the current drift to a sloppy uniformity. We can't avoid it we all copy something or someone it's just that some of us lag a bit with respect to change. I do prefer open collars over the choke point of a pricey necktie but loafers w/o socks are not comfortable.

Last edited:
Ok, that's the way to do it if possible... I guess I could build like that in the middle of nowhere here, but buying land anywhere else is usually attached to a requirement that people use the development's builder, you know... keep it as corrupt as possible.

I never buy anything because somebody says it's good. Starbucks is burned garbage, that's why they put 18 pounds of Sugar in it... That's the rumor having lived in the Seattle area for half my life, but no gas stations I ever got coffee from had it, they were either Seattle's Best or Tully's... I like Jose's Organic from Costco online, that's the best I have had in a very long time.

I'm heavily against fashion and only briefly considered getting Army Blues, but couldn't figure out when I would wear them. Most friends went all out in their weddings, be it bride or groom, but one guy got married in his back yard barely dressed up and put the cash they saved into their honeymoon. She had a nice dress and everything, but neither wanted to remember their wedding in the mildew encrusted Church basement. They got a couple of Kegs, catered food and BYOB if people wanted other stuff and saved a ton...

I don't know the exact standing rules, but I think I made them a long time ago for anyone in my family to shoot me on sight if I'm ever reading something like GQ.

I watched a youtube video on making fermented garlic-honey. As for fashion Doug looked Amish or Brethren while Stacy reminds me of a Jane Fonda movie where she played a Woodstock grandmother or something. I don't care for an ugly wispy beard but the fermented garlic-honey might be worth looking into.

Last edited:
;

2004: How Untucked Shirts Became a Male Uniform​

No longer just for slobs and summering preppies, dress shirts with untucked shirttails hit the front row and red carpet in the mid-aughts and never went away.​
. I do prefer open collars over the choke point of a pricey necktie but loafers w/o socks are not comfortable.
For over 35 years I was required to wear a uniform. When I retired, I realized that I don’t have any regular clothes. I had to invent a “Retired uniform.”

Starbucks is burned garbage, that's why they put 18 pounds of Sugar in it... That's the rumor having lived in the Seattle area for half my life, but no gas stations I ever got coffee from had it, they were either Seattle's Best or Tully's... I like Jose's Organic from Costco online, that's the best I have had in a very long time.
Ruby drinks coffee like a sailor. She drinks it black, no sugar and it can be sitting in the pot for a day and she’ll still drink it. We buy Folgers because it’s cheap.

This is just too funny there are even directions for entry level "untuckers". I dress for comfort and occasion. I am not going for skinny or pegged jeans or chinos though tucked or untucked depends on the shirt, where I am going and the jacket (if any). What a world, you just can't make this stuff up. Now I know why my ophthalmologist wears pegged chinos (even though they make his arse and feet look big).
What pants to wear with untucked shirt?
If you're just starting to wear untucked shirts, start simple. For something super casual, consider wearing it as you would a tucked in shirt, with slim-fit jeans or chinos and simple sneakers. Add a lightweight jacket or a crewneck sweater if it's a little cooler out.​

Last edited:
I watched a youtube video on making fermented garlic-honey. As for fashion Doug looked Amish or Brethren while Stacy reminds me of a Jane Fonda movie where she played a Woodstock grandmother or something. I don't care for an ugly wispy beard but the fermented garlic-honey might be worth looking into.

I might watch the video later... I have a jar of 5 or 6 heads of Garlic in the fridge, probably 60 cloves worth... Covered it in ACV with standard pickling spices... Supposed to let it sit in the fridge for 5 weeks before consuming... I did the same thing with only one head to see if I tolerated it, and it was good...

It is medicinal, with some rumors it can kill tumors... I don't know about that, but Garlic by itself in any form has 4793245 health benefits...

Ruby drinks coffee like a sailor. She drinks it black, no sugar and it can be sitting in the pot for a day and she’ll still drink it. We buy Folgers because it’s cheap.
Yeah, I make 2 days worth at a time, don't add anything to it... Anybody that has had Army field Coffee can drink paint if they feel like it, not much difference.

If you get a good Organic whole bean and a Burr grinder, you'll never look at Folgers again.

Anybody that has had Army field Coffee can drink paint if they feel like it, not much difference.
Oh yeah. A friend of mine's dad had a preference for that (he'd been in the Army) and would serve it, or something similar, to me on mornings where'd I'd crashed on their couch. "Regiment mud" he proudly called it. I normally drink coffee black but that stuff I put a little sugar in.

My problem with Folgers and other coffees in that tier is the chemical aftertaste. I can put on my coffee snob hat when I want to, but Trader Joe's $5/lb light roast is what I brew every morning.

This is just too funny there are even directions for entry level "untuckers". I dress for comfort and occasion. I am not going for skinny or pegged jeans or chinos though tucked or untucked depends on the shirt, where I am going and the jacket (if any). What a world, you just can't make this stuff up. Now I know why my ophthalmologist wears pegged chinos (even though they make his arse and feet look big).
What pants to wear with untucked shirt?
If you're just starting to wear untucked shirts, start simple. For something super casual, consider wearing it as you would a tucked in shirt, with slim-fit jeans or chinos and simple sneakers. Add a lightweight jacket or a crewneck sweater if it's a little cooler out.​
I'm pretty sure slim fit jeans are just for Women, and I have no idea what chinos are... I only have so much life left in my finger pads, and looking that up doesn't qualify.

I wear untucked shirts and cargo pants everywhere, never change that... At home it's sweats or shorts and a T shirt... For working, an old pair of cargo pants.

I would give Trader Joe's a try if local, their $4.99 bag in Asheville is now only 14oz. When I was doing pour over I hand ground beans every morning while the water heated. The fresh aroma also enhances the taste. On coffee and wine the aftertaste is where I draw the line.

Men's jeans in slim-fit are common now and have skinny tapered legs also it's hard to find khakis with straight legs and chinos (whatever they are) all seem to severely taper. Now that the Army has gone back to pinks and greens I haven't seen anyone in uniform. I would like to find cargos in the same fabric and color as Korean era Army fatigues.

1683485644940.png

Last edited:
GSD looks great (nice level back) but has high prey drive for cats. I have a cat so I am not tempted to take him.

1683513621429.png

Ron, the door looks great!

68bucks, that door looks very cool as well!

They do make men's skinny jeans I believe. I've seen them on the racks while looking for something for myself (I prefer men's pants because they tend to be looser & have larger pockets).

Mom is feeling much better now. It really seemed to be her blood sugar. She refused to go to the hospital. I'm keeping a close eye on her. Last night was no problem since I made sure she had plenty to eat before bed.

I'm calling her doctor first thing in the morning though and setting up an appointment. It appears to have been hypoglycemic events. Getting her to take sugar resolved things. So, I'm going to try to get her a constant glucose monitor and see if we can get it covered by Medicare. Dexcom G7 is covered but we have to get the doctor to put in the right info on the forms. Something like E2103 for the code saying she meets the critera and then the equipment code.

My kids took sidewalk chalk and turned our quiet cul de sac into a giant smiley face that passengers in landing aircraft can probably see.

Today I need to get started on one of my kids' closet projects. And clean the air filter. And recaulk the shower. And do some internet chores. And ship my guitar bridge back to the manufacturer. And work on my resume. Sadly I know not all these things will get done.

Drinking coffee with an aftertaste, it's both cheap and old but has the caffeine. My coffee from Amazon is supposed to arrive Wednesday and I'm not going to drive into town just for coffee. I'm going to try a splash of real vanilla into my next cup to make it more palatable.

Coffee is a strange commodity. The roasters just buy the beans and roast them in a commercial roaster. They advertise blends and add a lot of fancy words but the choice is primarily from arabica and/or robusto beans, where they are grown and how long the beans are roasted. Snob coffee may be better due to the added control of small batch roasting but is it worth the considerable price markup? Probably the greatest benefit of a local roaster is that I could purchase coffee roasted this morning and ground while I wait. I could find a source for green beans and roast my own but I would be stumbling around like Harproli (and he didn't roast his own).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back