What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My son received a call from his insurance company that his motorcycle was involved in an accident. He explained that he had sold the motorcycle but the insurance rep was quite snotty about it saying their records hadn't been changed. I don't know the particulars of how the ins co became involved maybe through the VIN. There was no attempt of a scam but now when he sells a vehicle he signs a bill of sale (as well as the title), keeps a copy and immediately contacts his insurance agent.

That’s the weird part. No links to click and supply Spicoli’s SS number or CC! It said this…Please note: this e-mail was sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.
Wow... That is really bizarre. I would call Host Defense and chat with Amazon or whatever customer service option they have. I'm interested in what the verdict is, as Mushrooms are one of the best things you can consume, I don't have experience with the brand name though.

My son received a call from his insurance company that his motorcycle was involved in an accident. He explained that he had sold the motorcycle but the insurance rep was quite snotty about it saying their records hadn't been changed. I don't know the particulars of how the ins co became involved maybe through the VIN. There was no attempt of a scam but now when he sells a vehicle he signs a bill of sale (as well as the title), keeps a copy and immediately contacts his insurance agent.

I swear I'm from NYC / Joisey and I have never been there before... I'm just thinking how I would respond to this Insurance rep... "Do yous see my address exists where the crash was, 400 miles from where my address actually exists? Do yous have the required brain cells to understand that a normal person isn't going to drive a crotch rocket 400 miles? Do yous have any functioning cortexes in your head at this particular time???... I'll wait while you try to figger out what I just said, Numb N... "

I went window shopping (literally). Found some windows that fit the existing openings on the back porch....... however, I assume that I really should "frame" openings and not just go with what fits now?

Decided on cabinets also, then changed my mind to a slab door because they are cheaper than the shaker but I can still have the custom drawers.

Had the people with the smart Jack's come back today to check out what I thought was a high spot in the kitchen floor. There is actually an area outside of original area that needs to be lifted 😳🫣. So..... here I am thinking about that.... which is fine, I knew it was possible.

I took 2 extra days off this turn, one for a GI appt related to this possible ulcer, I'll have to have an EGD soon to ensure my lap-band hasn't eroded any (which I don't think it has). And then I took this coming Saturday off also. The girl I worked with was giving me a hard time for actually taking time off jist because, since I haven't been able to do with for a year. Don't get me wrong, I have missed a lot of work between my mom last year and me having different problems, but these days I just took, just because.

Shan, slab doors can be converted to a shaker look later if you ever repaint.

Shan, slab doors can be converted to shaker look later if you ever repaint.

Yes, I thought about that. I'm also going with white I believe, and I didn't want that either. However, there are so many things that need to be done, and for my mental health..... I just need to get them down. You never know, done the line I might try to change it up

I don't eat pork but a friend gave me a couple of frozen precooked sausage patties to fit my Mary B's Jumbo Biscuits. He had already thawed them so rather than make a scene I took them. I used to love a good sausage biscuit (and bacon biscuit) but with these (Jimmy Dean I think) I tasted the heat of the pepper but that's about all so no more for me.

I went window shopping (literally). Found some windows that fit the existing openings on the back porch....... however, I assume that I really should "frame" openings and not just go with what fits now?
Ruby and I needed new windows on the back of our house. The 1970's windows that were there were aluminum frame, single pane glass that were energy inefficient. There were storm windows associated with them but I never put them on because the storm windows screwed into the wood frame and I didn't like that at all.

Come to find, my Son's Father in Law, Lee, is a Marvin Window Rep on the West coast. I was talking to Lee at my son's wedding and he said if I bought Anderson Windows, I was dead to him. So, I started looking at Marvin windows and they really are pretty good! Most window companies make a fiberglass frame now which is considered the "State of the Art."

If you want the least expensive window installation, then buy an "off the shelf" window from Lowes or HD and adjust your window opening to fit, but adjusting your window opening can be difficult and expensive. It may never look right either. Getting a custom window to fit your existing opening makes it easier to install but the custom windows can be pricey.

I was working in Alaska last summer so I paid a guy to install our Marvin Windows. I specified PVC brick mold on the outside to make these fiberglass windows totally weather proof. They fit perfect and I'm really happy with the install. We ended up getting the casement style windows with a crank to open them. Two reasons for this. Ruby liked the ease of opening the window with a crank but the other reason is probably more important. There is a code for bedrooms that is often overlooked even by professional window companies.

***********************​

Building Planning Codes
IRC Code Section R310​

SECTION R310
EMERGENCY ESCAPE AND RESCUE OPENINGS
R310.1 Emergency escape and rescue required.
Basements and every sleeping room shall have at least one operable emergency and rescue opening. Such opening shall open directly into a public street, public alley, yard or court. Where basements contain one or more sleeping rooms, emergency egress and rescue openings shall be required in each sleeping room, but shall not be required in adjoining areas of the basement. Where emergency escape and rescue openings are provided they shall have a sill height of not more than 44 inches (1118 mm) above the floor. Where a door opening having a threshold below the adjacent ground elevation serves as an emergency escape and rescue opening and is provided with a bulkhead enclosure, the bulkhead enclosure shall comply with Section R310.3. The net clear opening dimensions required by this section shall be obtained by the normal operation of the emergency escape and rescue opening from the inside. Emergency escape and rescue openings with a finished sill height below the adjacent ground elevation shall be provided with a window well in accordance with Section R310.2. Emergency escape 52 2006 INTERNATIONAL RESIDENTIAL CODE® and rescue openings shall open directly into a public way, or to a yard or court that opens to a public way.

Exception: Basements used only to house mechanical equipment and not exceeding total floor area of 200 square feet (18.58 m2).

R310.1.1 Minimum opening area. All emergency escape and rescue openings shall have a minimum net clear opening of 5.7 square feet (0.530 m2).

Exception: Grade floor openings shall have a minimum net clear opening of 5 square feet (0.465 m2).

R310.1.2 Minimum opening height. The minimum net clear opening height shall be 24 inches (610 mm).

R310.1.3 Minimum opening width. The minimum net clear opening width shall be 20 inches (508 mm).

R310.1.4 Operational constraints. Emergency escape and rescue openings shall be operational from the inside of the room without the use of keys, tools or special knowledge.

R310.2 Window wells. The minimum horizontal area of the window well shall be 9 square feet (0.9 m2), with a minimum horizontal projection and width of 36 inches (914 mm). The area of the window well shall allow the emergency escape and rescue opening to be fully opened.

Exception: The ladder or steps required by SectionR310.2.1 shall be permitted to encroach a maximum of 6 inches (152 mm) into the required dimensions of the window well.

A double hung window of the size we needed in our bedrooms wouldn't comply with this code even though the window companies (Anderson, Pella and Marvin) would all sell us double hung for the bedrooms. A casement or awning window will comply with the 5.7sq ft opening.

Windows are something I have never researched, but it's bizarre that I have the same style windows here than other places I have lived that don't ever reach zero degrees, much less -50 with wind. I would figure there would be something better here than regular 2 pane.

I have 6' high Anderson casement windows in the master BR and bath which present five 2'x6' openings which I can step through sideways. The other BRs have two 2'x4' openings which would be difficult to exit through but possible I guess.

I got a similar message from two different phone numbers. I guess she really wants to get hold of me. She asked for a CC number but I told her I only have Spicoli’s and she said, “No thanks!”

IMG_4492.png

IMG_4493.png

HAHAHAHA... You're saying you get "random" texts from some lady? I can't get texts like that because I don't have that kind of phone, but I think... You got some splainin to do to Ruby!!!

Back to Coffee, I need to order some more Jose's Organic from Costco at $8 / Lb... I just got an email for Coffee that would be $16 / Lb. and I saw Coffee in the Supermarket yesterday at $16 / Lb...

I understand the email people trying to get $16 and hoping people have never heard of COSTCO, but I don't understand local joints pricing it like that.

That $8 at Costco is actually $7.68 when I get the cash back from their CC, so I would save $8.32 every time I order Jose's... If I do that 15 times a year, which I easily can, that alone pays for the Executive membership.

I am talking about the upper portion having windows added in several bays. I was wondering if I could use the upper and lower wood to screw the windows into and just frame out the sides. I know the bottom area would need to have more supports.20230510_192831.jpg20230510_192822.jpg

Installed a screen door on our patio finally. Only took me 2 years.

I am talking about the upper portion having windows added in several bays. I was wondering if I could use the upper and lower wood to screw the windows into and just frame out the sides. I know the bottom area would need to have more supports.
If you don't need windows that open, you could just get glass cut (for cheap) and make your own.

Similar to what @68bucks did with his door.

I did a similar thing in our screened in porch where rain water was coming in but I used plexiglass rather than Lexan like 68Bucks...big mistake! Plexi cracks too easily when cutting it whereas, Lexan won't...but it's more expensive. You could use glass.

Cool door. I built something similar for the door of my shop attic. I used left over 2x pieces and left over barn siding from when I did the walls. I bought the lexan for the window mortise and tenon and pegged the joints, no screws. It actually rolls on idler pullies on the bottom on 2 grooves I cut into the floor. The design needs some refining still. I didn't have the head room to hang it on a track like a barn door. View attachment 30652

If you don't need windows that open, you could just get glass cut (for cheap) and make own.
I would like to have windows that open. I am going to add a mini split system so that I can put exercise equipment out there (treadmill, has an LED screen so needs to be temp regulated, bike, and then a sitting area to read).

I wish I could contribute to the windows discussion, but I just got old construction reliabilt windows that fit the rough openings of my existing metal windows. I wish I'd ordered 4 instead of 2 bc the prices went way up. Double pane with argon and some kind of tint or something for the sun exposure. Got them on a sale. They are vinyl bc fiberglass wasn't available at the time. Was hoping to have them in already.

Picked up RX and am working on laundry right now. Waiting on Mom's clothes to dry. I need her to pick out more stuff for me to wash. I found a bunch of pants but need more shirts and some socks & underwear to wash. She just piles everything up in a corner and I have a hard time moving stuff without it falling down.

Going to get blood drawn tomorrow for my appointment next week. Hoping the rain will let up so I can get my packages delivered. Fedex has been refusing to deliver due to rain. It only sprinkled today but the Fedex people are lazy AF.

My miter saw is still stuck in Georgia where its been since the 6th. I'm about to contact HD to ask them to ask UPS what the problem is and if they lost it. Wish I could just go to the store and pick the saw up since I already paid for it and say that I need it asap (I really do) and UPS seems to have misplaced it or something.

Latest posts

Back