What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a place about 20 miles from me that has windows. When I am off next turn, I am going to go down there.

I found a company to install windows for the house (not the back porch) for a little less than $400 per window. That's expensive, I know. But I can't replace mine by myself.... so I am going to call them and have them come and give an estimate. I am wiring to pay someone to do that, but I'm not willing to pay that much for the back porch.

Went to the GI today, I go back in 3 months to make sure everything has remained resolved, may plan an endo at that point.... but everything looks good with the lap-band. And that is fantastic. I work tomorrow but took Saturday off, and don't wirk Sundays... then work Monday through Wednesday, then off again..... this week will go by quick!

If I have a house built, I'm going to hire a family friend to start if he wants to freelance. I have seen what he can do with his crew, so that's not something I need to research. I will however do my own windows, triple pane... The frame is technically easy enough with the right tools, but ordering the glass is where the fun will happen.

I won't even go past the foundation before I have all the windows built, safely stored away from Terrorist cats!

I made Maxwell House dark roast coffee, painted my TP spare rolls stand (matte black) and tied a couple of para-cord soft shackles for yard use. Then practiced some other knots and baked a frozen pizza for supper

My miter saw is still stuck in Georgia where it’s been since the 6th. I'm about to contact HD to ask them to ask UPS what the problem is and if they lost it. Wish I could just go to the store and pick the saw up since I already paid for it and say that I need it asap (I really do) and UPS seems to have misplaced it or something.
Boy, that’s frustrating!

There is a place about 20 miles from me that has windows. When I am off next turn, I am going to go down there.

I found a company to install windows for the house (not the back porch) for a little less than $400 per window. That's expensive, I know. But I can't replace mine by myself.... so I am going to call them and have them come and give an estimate. I am wiring to pay someone to do that, but I'm not willing to pay that much for the back porch.
That’s cheaper than what I paid. It seems pretty reasonable but I guess it depends on what kind of window they are quoting you for.

Shan, I hope you can get a lower quote on the windows.

Spicoli, the courts are full of people who hired friends to do contract work. If you did go that route, make sure there is a solid contract with deadlines, very specific details, etc. So many people will trust a friend and not get things in writing and then it ends up in court. Either there's a misunderstanding or the friend thinks they can slack off bc it's a friend and not a regular customer or the customer thinks they should get stuff free. It gets ugly.

So, I got HD to contact Fedex bc those idiots delivered one of my packages (not the saw) to the wrong house. They posted a picture of a place I don't recognize. I tried to contact them but couldn't get through. Got on chat with HD to tell them I needed them to tell Fedex they got the wrong house. Fedex apparently told the employee that they would not retrieve the package and deliver it to me. I told the HD employee that Fedex was lying bc I made them do that in the past and I don't know where this package is so I can't go get it and I'm not willing to go snooping around the area to find out who has it. Told them I'm not on good terms with the nearest neighbors. Gave instructions and description of my house and also quoted Fedex policy that says they will retrieve the package and deliver correctly. HD employee spent about 15min on hold and finally got a live person and told me that Fedex said they will "investigate" to find out where they put my package & in 1 to 2 business days would try to get it back and deliver it to me. Not sure if they count Saturday as a business day. Their own website says they will pick it up the same day they misdelivered. It was getting near closing time so I told the HD associate I'd have to deal with UPS tomorrow. Associate told me to be sure and get back to them tomorrow so they will call UPS for me and find out what is going on with my miter saw.
This is what I see on the tracking page:
1683865510474.png
From HD site I see this:
1683865441831.png

Shan, I hope you can get a lower quote on the windows.

Spicoli, the courts are full of people who hired friends to do contract work. If you did go that route, make sure there is a solid contract with deadlines, very specific details, etc. So many people will trust a friend and not get things in writing and then it ends up in court. Either there's a misunderstanding or the friend thinks they can slack off bc it's a friend and not a regular customer or the customer thinks they should get stuff free. It gets ugly.

So, I got HD to contact Fedex bc those idiots delivered one of my packages (not the saw) to the wrong house. They posted a picture of a place I don't recognize. I tried to contact them but couldn't get through. Got on chat with HD to tell them I needed them to tell Fedex they got the wrong house. Fedex apparently told the employee that they would not retrieve the package and deliver it to me. I told the HD employee that Fedex was lying bc I made them do that in the past and I don't know where this package is so I can't go get it and I'm not willing to go snooping around the area to find out who has it. Told them I'm not on good terms with the nearest neighbors. Gave instructions and description of my house and also quoted Fedex policy that says they will retrieve the package and deliver correctly. HD employee spent about 15min on hold and finally got a live person and told me that Fedex said they will "investigate" to find out where they put my package & in 1 to 2 business days would try to get it back and deliver it to me. Not sure if they count Saturday as a business day. Their own website says they will pick it up the same day they misdelivered. It was getting near closing time so I told the HD associate I'd have to deal with UPS tomorrow. Associate told me to be sure and get back to them tomorrow so they will call UPS for me and find out what is going on with my miter saw.
This is what I see on the tracking page:
View attachment 30684
From HD site I see this:
View attachment 30683
You have to keep pocking them. I had an issue a few months back where the package showed as delayed for 2 weeks, and once I contacted the carrier someone finally told that they had damaged the package and it wasn't going to be delivered. Then, I had to contact the seller (Lowe's in that case) for them to close the original order, sort it out with Fedex, and issue a new order at no cost to me to have the item delivered.

ekrig, I'm goin to try to contact Fedex again today. If I can't get through I'll go through HD to contact them again. I know they delivered my package somewhere. Not sure if the person who got it is going to keep it or hadn't seen it or what. But Fedex has been delivering to me for decades & still keeps messing things up and not delivering to the correct address. Google maps shows where my house is but somehow they still screw up. I think they were lazy and dropped it off at an earlier street or house or something. If I was on good terms with honest neighbors they would have called me or brought my package to me. Or called Fedex and told them they delivered to the wrong house. But no, I have thieves for neighbors.

Once I'm done with this home depot chat I'm going to go get my blood drawn.

Nah, that isn't this guy. The county would require a contract / permits / inspections etc. for a new build, but if I just add a shop to my existing property, none of that applies. I would just pay him half up front and half upon finishing. He would have to call for an electrical inspection and that's it.

There is a lot more involved when building a house from scratch. First a land survey to see what the soil type is and if you need to have dirt brought in to replace the existing soil to make it sturdy enough. If you need to dig out bad soil that has to be removed and then the fill has to be put in. From there grade beams need to be dug. Then everything leveled out. Termite people come out to spray the ground that will be under the slab (if you're having slab done). Plumbers have to come out and rough in the main sewer line at some point & that requires permits. Concrete gets poured, and then it moves on to framing. In some states they require detailed plans of everything for the permits-- from what windows will be used, what doors will be used what the hvac situation is, etc. I've been watching a Youtube series on someone building a house in Houston TX & apparently he has to get permits for everything. Inspectors have to come out to check everything as work progresses and approve before the next step can be taken. Of course, not all places are that strict. Out here they let people build entire houses without permits (if they know the right people to let them get away with it).

Had to reschedule my doctor's appointment bc they didn't have time to take my blood today. Booked up. Had to make an appointment to get blood drawn on the 18th and appointment moved to the 25th. Still want to get the walls mudded before Sunday though. Taking a little break after organizing things and searching for tools. Had half of a salad. Will eat more later. I gave Rupert some canned food so he is wanting cuddles now.

There is a lot more involved when building a house from scratch. First a land survey to see what the soil type is and if you need to have dirt brought in to replace the existing soil to make it sturdy enough. If you need to dig out bad soil that has to be removed and then the fill has to be put in. From there grade beams need to be dug. Then everything leveled out. Termite people come out to spray the ground that will be under the slab (if you're having slab done). Plumbers have to come out and rough in the main sewer line at some point & that requires permits. Concrete gets poured, and then it moves on to framing. In some states they require detailed plans of everything for the permits-- from what windows will be used, what doors will be used what the hvac situation is, etc. I've been watching a Youtube series on someone building a house in Houston TX & apparently he has to get permits for everything. Inspectors have to come out to check everything as work progresses and approve before the next step can be taken. Of course, not all places are that strict. Out here they let people build entire houses without permits (if they know the right people to let them get away with it).
Yeah, in the middle of nowhere. In developments here, everything is done by the developer before they sell the lots, then they either have a pre arranged model that is built or they sell the land as is and let people choose their style of building. It depends on the location, but if a developer owns the whole subdivision, they will probably have everything done the same way.

In my development, it was all piece meal, every house is different, or very few are duplicates.

There's no such thing as Blueprints here, or the Counties don't keep them. Sometimes I think they just build on the fly and "by memory", and have seen evidence of that.

.So, I got HD to contact Fedex bc those idiots delivered one of my packages (not the saw) to the wrong house. They posted a picture of a place I don't recognize. I tried to contact them but couldn't get through. Got on chat with HD to tell them I needed them to tell Fedex they got the wrong house.
geez! They screw up your deliveries frequently!

Took apart my son in law’s John Deere this afternoon. Looks like the hydraulic pump and motor are okay but there are some really worn gears in there.

IMG_4521.jpeg

It’s good news though because the hydraulic motor and pump are way more expensive than the gears.

I Set the timing on our pontoon outboard yesterday. I had to order a new (used) flywheel since I bent the old one taking it off.

IMG_4509.jpeg

The flywheel was really frozen on there so I used a 10 ton hydraulic gear puller which ended up bending the flywheel.

IMG_4507.jpeg

IMG_4502.jpeg
I had already replaced the stator and lighting coil last year but the stator was sticking causing the timing to be off.

I guess the Mother’s Day pontoon ride isn’t going to happen this year. The other boat still needs the freeze plugs installed.

IMG_4401.jpeg

I was trying to remember the name of the type of dirt that gets put down. It's called Select Fill. The videos I've been watching, they live about 2 miles from the place that has the dirt so it was cheap delivery but still expensive to have it spread. I think they spent about $20k on the slab for the garage. Would have been cheaper if not for all the permits and other stuff.

The associate from HD noted that I have a lot of delivery problems too. Someone apparently got tired of the "road closed" signs and knocked one of them down into a ditch.

My hands and back are sore from attempting to spread the mortar. I made too large of a batch and it dried up too fast so I got less than half of it on before it dried. It started out too dry even though I followed the mixing instructions. I'll have to charge the battery in my cordless drill, get a new bucket, and try again tomorrow. Friend won't be able to come over Sunday but can come over Monday. I'm hoping to have this done by then. I lost a lot of time just trying to figure out technique. Toward the end I was just grabbing stuff with my hands and slapping it on the wall and then spreading it with the knife. My brother kept hearing the sound and not knowing what the hell the scraping was. I got most of the left side done but need to work on the corner more. I got overheated and needed to cool off once I realized the mix was dried up and couldn't be salvaged. I'm hoping it will be cooler tomorrow when I work on it. I think the heat contributed to it setting up faster. Need to dump the rinse bucket out, get fresh water in it, see if the stuff will dislodge from the other bucket, but I'll have a spare bucket on hand just in case. Eve though I don't usually take baths, I think I will make an exception once this thing is fixed up.

Meanwhile, either something is wrong with Mom's monitor, the cable, or her video card. I'm getting a new cable tomorrow to troubleshoot. I'm hoping its just the cable. She was really bummed when her monitor blinked out. It's saying it is not getting any video signal but her computer is on. It kept blinking to black screen. I tried moving the plug to a different outlet and the APC I plugged it into was making clicking noises. It wouldn't work plugged into that one. Moved it to another port back on the other APC and it says no signal.

Mom just got up and walked to the living room so I need to go cook for her.

Ron, how can you tell the gears are worn? What should I be looking for in that photo?

My ambitions when it comes to boating are to become close friends with people who own boats, never to own them myself! Boats look like floating piles of work and expenses to me.

I don't know why, but I just remembered my father telling me about the time he had some cops bring him a recording of a dispatch call involving one of his co-workers. Called in and said that he was in pursuit of a vehicle (I forget description) towing a stolen boat (gave license plate number).
Dispatch: "How do you know its stolen?"
Co-worker: "It's MYYYYYY BOAT!"

He had been coming home and was about to pull into his driveway when he saw the thief leaving his driveway with his trailer and boat hooked up.

So, Mom hates her new phone so much she wants to return it and exchange it for the higher end model with a better battery and faster charging. She wants me to take her to the store tomorrow to exchange it.

I had a fake meal last evening. I wrongly decided that if meatloaf and meatballs were edible with extenders added maybe I could doctor my pea protein infused burger patties to make them palatable. My plan was to grill the frozen burgers in the George Foreman grill until thawed then simmer the patties in beef gravy. The problem was the canned beef gravy was fake as well being contrived with corn starch rather beginning with a flour and fat roux. The end result was that I ate one of the two burgers and the cat got the other. After all the cat's been eating fake food all along (Meow Mix).

I read many obituaries looking for someone with a wife named Lorie with no result so maybe @RedneckGrump hasn't passed. If he's disabled or in rehab I pray for speedy recovery. I suspect admin knows (or could know) as his email is on file but admin can't break the rules of privacy.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back