What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My son liked his workbench, spent half an hour in a trance-like state planing on it despite it being 17°F out. Gave me a chance to take out the compost, check the trail cam, sweep the garage floor, and hang up one of the bird feeders my wife refilled.

Then last night we all (whole family except for the baby) played laser tag using the set my son's grandparents got him for his birthday, and well folks, I may have found my newest calling. I was unstoppable.

Though I did slip and fall quite heavily on the ceramic tiles in the kitchen and by the time I went to bed my knee was in 6/10 pain...today I have a limp and 8/10 pain whenever I put pressure or weight on it. I hope this goes away soon because it's leg day and I was actually looking forward to doing squats...

I guess it was the very top of my fibula (the little knobby part that bulges out), not my patella, that I hurt when I fell down. And curiously, it feels better now that I've been walking around on it.

So..... Saturday was day 1 of my new position at work. It was wonderful that I got to pee when needed, get a drink when needed, sit when needed, and go to lunch when needed.
My back still hurt some but not to the same extent. I am off till Thursday ,then work 3 off 1, work 3 off 7. I am hopeful that this will go smoothly!!!

I bought a heating rod for my safe, got a 12 gun pistol hanger, and a door pouch which holds another 10 pistols. Now I just need to go unload my son's safe and get my guns back.
I have six handguns of which two were freebies. My last one was a P3at, my little don't ask/don't tell pocket pistol. I don't need any more but might get something w/threads maybe a Ruger SR22 for backyard plinking.

For the cat owners I read an old saying today, Nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

I have had a Samsung Gas Range / Double Oven for a little over 5 years now, and it has never worked properly.

The range igniters *sometimes* light, but it's a good idea to open the window first in case they don't to dissipate the gas.

The clock / display is gone, it's either 7 minutes or 1 minute on the timer countdown.

When I turn the igniters on, sometimes the oven lights come on (Possessed)...

The oven has never heated to temp, as it will ring as preheated at blank temp., but that differs from several thermometers by 50-75 degrees. The top oven, which I thought was perfect for a Pizza or say the sides for Thanksgiving, is utterly worthless. I tried a Papa Murphy's Pizza, and it took 50 minutes to not get done all the way. It was "edible", but not exactly done. I didn't try that again, and called in the service tech's, covered under the extended warranty but after the Samsung One WHOLE YEAR warranty.

The tech simply asked how I use it... Ummmm... Like a Double oven... "Nope, you can't do that. If you use the divider, it will never reach the proper temp, and if you do get to temp, opening the door will reset that by about a half hour in my experience"... So, the Double Oven is a giant gimmick that cost an extra $500 or whatever.

I kept all the documented failure notes and called Lowe's warranty to ask them to come take it away to repair all the issues, as the warranty will end at the end of the year. I got an email saying they were refunding the entire purchase, they don't want to bother with even trying to repair it (Or they don't have the techs to repair it because the gubment is paying people to stay home still)...

Either way, lesson learned on the Double Oven, and Samsung... While talking to the repair tech, I also talked about my LG dishwasher, which wasn't part of the call. He said his company won't touch LG, period. They simply won't work on anything produced by LG. That says something, considering they get paid by the homeowner or the warranty no matter what.

So, I have to figure out a new oven from what Lowe's has, which might land me back with Samsung because other brands are made by LG.

If you're old enough, you remember Dishwashers and other appliances that lasted 30 years, don't you?

I have had a Samsung Gas Range / Double Oven for a little over 5 years now, and it has never worked properly.

The range igniters *sometimes* light, but it's a good idea to open the window first in case they don't to dissipate the gas.

The clock / display is gone, it's either 7 minutes or 1 minute on the timer countdown.

When I turn the igniters on, sometimes the oven lights come on (Possessed)...

The oven has never heated to temp, as it will ring as preheated at blank temp., but that differs from several thermometers by 50-75 degrees. The top oven, which I thought was perfect for a Pizza or say the sides for Thanksgiving, is utterly worthless. I tried a Papa Murphy's Pizza, and it took 50 minutes to not get done all the way. It was "edible", but not exactly done. I didn't try that again, and called in the service tech's, covered under the extended warranty but after the Samsung One WHOLE YEAR warranty.

The tech simply asked how I use it... Ummmm... Like a Double oven... "Nope, you can't do that. If you use the divider, it will never reach the proper temp, and if you do get to temp, opening the door will reset that by about a half hour in my experience"... So, the Double Oven is a giant gimmick that cost an extra $500 or whatever.

I kept all the documented failure notes and called Lowe's warranty to ask them to come take it away to repair all the issues, as the warranty will end at the end of the year. I got an email saying they were refunding the entire purchase, they don't want to bother with even trying to repair it (Or they don't have the techs to repair it because the gubment is paying people to stay home still)...

Either way, lesson learned on the Double Oven, and Samsung... While talking to the repair tech, I also talked about my LG dishwasher, which wasn't part of the call. He said his company won't touch LG, period. They simply won't work on anything produced by LG. That says something, considering they get paid by the homeowner or the warranty no matter what.

So, I have to figure out a new oven from what Lowe's has, which might land me back with Samsung because other brands are made by LG.

If you're old enough, you remember Dishwashers and other appliances that lasted 30 years, don't you?
Don't feel too bad. We bought high end appliances when we bought our current home, complete kitchen gut. Spent a fortune on Viking appliances. We wanted commercial grade stuff because we cook and entertain a lot. My wife does a lot of canning and baking. And I also wanted made in America if possible. So a dual fuel range and an electric French door wall oven and about $16,000 later I'm all set. We'll the range came with parts missing and a defective ignitor on 1 burner. Now there is an issue with defective door hinges so often the oven light wants to stay on. The wall oven I think was defective from the start. Wouldn't heat right. I had to to a bunch of tests to prove that. Had a tech out and found a burner element had burnt off one lead and wasn't working. The element had a 5 year warranty and the was discovered days before that date. I was stonewalled by Viking, they never did a damn thing, $500 for the element. Then they find a bad board that wasn't controlling the temperature properly, another $1500. That is when in found out that a residential oven is considered accurate with a +/- temp range for 30 degrees F. So at 350 setting temp can go from 320 to 380. These are the worst appliances I have ever owned, very disappointed. I really wanted America made stuff as much as I could get at least. Didn't pay off obviously.

Yeah, luxury sometimes comes with a hefty price after the fact. That's well known in the world of cars, with BMW 7 series owners complaining that they paid $80K plus, but have to pay $45K plus just to repair the things.

My Sister has a horror story concerning Wolf or Viking, cant remember which. Hearing her version combined with my Brother in Law's own version relegated me to Chinese (Or Korean like Samsung and LG, yeah right!) models. If I do a complete retro, I will look into high end appliances, but I know from them and you that it doesn't mean that much.

Sears and Montgomery Ward used to test the stuff they sold for quality and sell repair parts for things they sold us 150 years ago... those days are gone...
My Wards/Admiral refrigerator is from the mid 1970's... still works... still frostfree... but... harvest gold color...
My Caloric range on it's last leg... not even legs... about to get replaced...

Last edited:
Yeah, luxury sometimes comes with a hefty price after the fact. That's well known in the world of cars, with BMW 7 series owners complaining that they paid $80K plus, but have to pay $45K plus just to repair the things.

My Sister has a horror story concerning Wolf or Viking, cant remember which. Hearing her version combined with my Brother in Law's own version relegated me to Chinese (Or Korean like Samsung and LG, yeah right!) models. If I do a complete retro, I will look into high end appliances, but I know from them and you that it doesn't mean that much.
I'd really be interested if it was Wolf or Viking. I have a Sub-zero fridge and it has been great. I have considered trying to sell the range and wall oven and buy a Wolf replacement. I looked at them a few weeks ago. I don't know if I'm PO'd enough to cough up more money. BTW I bought a Bosch dish washer and it has been awesome. We have an open concept house of sorts and sitting 12-15' away you have to strain to hear it run.

I think appliances with no electronics would sell but prolly only to a niche market thus an elevated price. My Whirlpool double oven and Jenn Air cooktop are original installed decades ago when I built the house. I have replaced elements.

Sears and Montgomery Ward used to test the stuff they sold for quality and sell repair parts for things they sold us 150 years ago... those days are gone...
My Wards/Admiral refrigerator is from the mid 1970's... still works... still frostfree... but... harvest gold color...
My Caloric range on it's last leg... not even legs... about to get replaced...

Yeah, most manufacturers figured out how to make the appliances work for just barely long enough to satisfy their 1 year warranty.

I'd really be interested if it was Wolf or Viking. I have a Sub-zero fridge and it has been great. I have considered trying to sell the range and wall oven and buy a Wolf replacement. I looked at them a few weeks ago. I don't know if I'm PO'd enough to cough up more money. BTW I bought a Bosch dish washer and it has been awesome. We have an open concept house of sorts and sitting 12-15' away you have to strain to hear it run.

Viking. I was wrong about the story though, it was from a 3rd party dealer that said they were getting TONS of returns / service calls concerning Viking because Viking went Chinese and that was that.

The same dealer said Wolf was solid. I assume that applies to Sub Zero and Cove.

I have heard Bosch is the best for Dishwashers. My Maytag is absolutely worthless. Gone are the days of the "Lonely Maytag Repairman"... Homie is Dead from all the broken crap he had to repair!

I think appliances with no electronics would sell but prolly only to a niche market thus an elevated price. My Whirlpool double oven and Jenn Air cooktop are original installed decades ago when I built the house. I have replaced elements.
My brother has a small Thermador wall oven that was installed when the house was built in the 50's. He replaced a burner once I think. It's a real little thing but it works they use it all the time. Poster candidate for "they don't build them like that any more." He's planning a major kitchen reno in the next few years. He's been there probably 20 years.

I've heard that Bosch and Kitchenaid are good but that one of them has better customer service (trying to remember which one). I haven't used a dishwasher in a very long time. I hate them. I hate loading them, I hate unloading them. I'd rather wash dishes and stick them in a drying rack at comfortable height than have to bend down for a dishwasher. Always leaves white crud on the dishes so I have to hand wash them anyway. Mom used to insist that I had to use the dishwasher but I had to wash the dishes before putting them in, wait for stuff to cool down enough to remove, and then rinse & try them bc of the white crud. Ended up being twice the work. I mean, if I have to wash it first, what's the point?

Flyover, I hope your leg is feeling better.

Got a bit of a headache. Been napping and watching the Olympics a bit. Found out my brother didn't do the scan properly setting up Starlink. There's an obstruction to the east causing disruptions. Need to make the pole taller.

My last dishwasher was a kitchenaid. I put in a double drawer type when I did a reno at our last house. It worked OK. Was definitely louder. It was a double drawer type. We thought the idea was good since it's just the 2 of us, smaller loads. In reality it wasn't that helpful.

LeeD, is your organizer homemade or bought? I'd be interested in what you did.

My last dishwasher was a kitchenaid. I put in a double drawer type when I did a reno at our last house. It worked OK. Was definitely louder. It was a double drawer type. We thought the idea was good since it's just the 2 of us, smaller loads. In reality it wasn't that helpful.

LeeD, is your organizer homemade or bought? I'd be interested in what you did.
It's homemade. I made many small, different size compartments. The wife is happy. Got her another parcel today and already put everything there. I must say, I like it too. Everything is on their places.

Back