Chris

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sent him to the courthouse to pay one of my lucky California revenue making commercial driving fines and he was done within an hour and told me he was going to go home for a while since I don't need him for anything today. I am thinking of giving him a day. Why waste the money.

This guy just doesn't get it. I was giving him a month before I let him go until today when he showed up at 10 and then took and hour and a half lunch and the left at 3. What is up with people's mentality?

You have to remember, they will only take as much as you allow them to have. You have apparently been too lenient with this guy. Being the boss is the loneliest job; and it is that way because you can't become friends with your employees. They take too much for granted, then don't know how to act when you try to rein them in.

When you get to your new town stop and get to know the farmers. Most of the time in the winter they are doing equipment repairs and such. Give them your card and chew the fat a few minutes and tell them you are starting up and what you will be offering. Another contact on the excavation side is any golf courses around.

These kind of guys will pass along contacts to you and also build a word of mouth business. Out in the real world that’s still the way it is done. They want someone that can respond to a problem and get it done quick and right.

If you are in an area that doesn't have city sewers, septic fields are a regular business. And there is always the occasional french drain to install.
And remember not to try to do it all; or you will just be bringing the stress along with you

Around here we have septic systems and then septic systems. You will find this in most of rural America. Many homes had a leach pipe run out back and after about 20 years they would plug and they would ditch a new one a few feet over and start new. Cost about 500 bucks. Now they have rules and perk testing and regulations and a mound system costs about 10 grand. People just cant afford it a lot of the time and we have this one guy doing the midnight special they call it. He is in and out in the middle of the night and takes about 3 hours max. Everyone looks the other way and to be honest they seem to work just fine. I doubt you could get away with that on the left coast. my point is be ready for a different culture.

Everyone looks the other way and to be honest they seem to work just fine. I doubt you could get away with that on the left coast. my point is be ready for a different culture.
Probably as good or better than a berm system. And you have no pump to worry about.

I sent him to the courthouse to pay one of my lucky California revenue making commercial driving fines and he was done within an hour and told me he was going to go home for a while since I don't need him for anything today. I am thinking of giving him a day. Why waste the money.

I would give him a layoff notice and call it a day. The man doesn't want to work, plain and simple. What is the ruling for firing in CA?

How does it work in CA when you shut down a business and have a large layoff?

Around here we have septic systems and then septic systems. You will find this in most of rural America. Many homes had a leach pipe run out back and after about 20 years they would plug and they would ditch a new one a few feet over and start new. Cost about 500 bucks. Now they have rules and perk testing and regulations and a mound system costs about 10 grand. People just cant afford it a lot of the time and we have this one guy doing the midnight special they call it. He is in and out in the middle of the night and takes about 3 hours max. Everyone looks the other way and to be honest they seem to work just fine. I doubt you could get away with that on the left coast. my point is be ready for a different culture.

that is true
around here, you run your leach field out. leave the pipe open on the end
and day light the end of the pipe

that is true
around here, you run your leach field out. leave the pipe open on the end
and day light the end of the pipe

Around here you can do that also and if the county, state guy catches you…. You are in big trouble. New construction forget it has to be passed ten ways from Sunday. I know a builder that was buying small homes in good location and doing a remod that was tearing down 99.9% of the house and building a new house. What he really wanted was the well and septic grandfather in. one house he left one block in the foundation.

Repairs are a tough call if you cant do it yourself. Most contractors don’t want to stick their neck out so they quote it by the book and then don’t get the job because some fly by the seat of the pants comes along and daylights a pipe. I rented a backhoe and did my own the way I wanted and so far so good.

So I told my office guy I was letting him go and since it was Christmas time I would give him til the 15th. Well I haven't gotten more than a few hours per day out of him since then. He is on salary so there is not much I can do about that. I came in today to tell him I don't need his milking anymore and to stop the bleeding and I found a request for the day off that he gave me last month. I just can't get rid of him. All I need from him is to fill out some paperwork and he can kick rocks.

So he is officially fired as of 20 minutes ago. He tried to keep my gas card and toll transponder. He filled up his personal car three times in the last week and ran up almost 40 bucks in tolls yesterday. He didn't want to come by my office because he said he was looking for a job, he forgot that I had already paid him through the 15th and that he was on my time. He was pissed at me because of all this. I told him he would still be here if he would have just showed up to work. I told him I should call the cops for all the theft.

sounds like a do------bag,
you are better off with out him

It's customary & usual around here to let a guy go immediately and give him two week severance. That way he has no access to anything that you don't want to share. The two-week notice thing is more about an employee giving notice.

It's customary & usual around here to let a guy go immediately and give him two week severance. That way he has no access to anything that you don't want to share. The two-week notice thing is more about an employee giving notice.

Same here, I was just trying to be a nice guy around the holidays.

As an employee, i would think that two weeks pay without having to come in would be better than having to come in with knowing you are counting the days. 2 weeks pay while you have a chance to update your résume and start job hunting. It always sucks to be notified before the holidays, but that would depend on your schedule for moving and closing things out.

As an employee 52 weeks pay for no work sounds great. As a business owner I like to feel I got something for my money. It's really not normal to get any severance pay but normally just let go

Latest posts

Back