Mississippi and N-Carolina

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To bad laws get changed and ignored or understood in a different way.

I blame it all on lawyers, everyone is scared of a lawsuit.

I am no expert but I think freedom of religion as designed by 13 colonies each with their own religious laws kind of precluded one religious group could install their laws over another but laws would be written by the government to serve all.

not sure but i think you are referring to what is called the 1st amendment.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances

If a store keeper, feels his religion says it is wrong for gays to be gay,
refuses to serve that person,
then, If the gubment demands he serve said person.
then the gubment is prohibiting the free exercise thereof

not sure but i think you are referring to what is called the 1st amendment.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances

If a store keeper, feels his religion says it is wrong for gays to be gay,
refuses to serve that person,
then, If the gubment demands he serve said person.
then the gubment is prohibiting the free exercise thereof

Nope I cant argue that point but I think there is something about a business open to the public is a public place while it is open, so are some peoples not public?

So do the moral teachings of religions.

Instead of conceding a point change the subject.:rofl:

They do and thats a problem. I don't know enough about religion to argue anything for or against.

Nope I cant argue that point but I think there is something about a business open to the public is a public place while it is open, so are some peoples not public?

Depends on if your are here legally I guess?

Its a tough one. I believe you can treat your potential customers how you want because they are what keep you in business and if they don't come than you have no business but I also believe you should treat people good and how you would like to be treated.

It all comes down to why not just don't push your agendas on others and they will have no idea what you stand for or believe in and we can just all work together and be happy again. I don't go to a store and tell them my life story or who I vote for so they just treat me like any other customer. I don't walk in and say "Hey I'm gay! Make me a cake!"

You have to be care full what you wish for, anyone I think can make that cake but in a country where everyone wants to privatize everything. What happens when one can not fly or ride a train. The government starts a transportation company? That is what happened when your government said everyone had to have insurance when building in a flood plain but did not require insurance companies to offer the policy.
If we as a people don't make other peoples feel comfortable in our community, those other people will eventually find a place where they are welcome. That will happen where the economy is already down and money is king so they don't get turned away. So now you have a growing community not liked or or treated as equal by the rest of the people. Now you are building that neighborhood you would not take your kids too. What do you think their kids grow up feeling about freedom in your country?

They do and thats a problem. I don't know enough about religion to argue anything for or against.

Depends on if your are here legally I guess?

Its a tough one. I believe you can treat your potential customers how you want because they are what keep you in business and if they don't come than you have no business but I also believe you should treat people good and how you would like to be treated.

It all comes down to why not just don't push your agendas on others and they will have no idea what you stand for or believe in and we can just all work together and be happy again. I don't go to a store and tell them my life story or who I vote for so they just treat me like any other customer. I don't walk in and say "Hey I'm gay! Make me a cake!"

So is this why ghettos form? Everyone wants to be with their own people? Are there gays ghettos with gay bakers and gay plumbers? We all benefit from the intermix of cultures.

They are all around me and I do know it. It's plastered all over their cars and clothes and how they go so far out of their way to make sure I know it. Not saying I have anything against it but why the need to push it on others.

Same category as street bicyclists here. The law says they may use a full lane so during traffic times instead of riding in the empty bike lane one guy will be doing 5 mph taking that whole lane while yelling at anyone who tries to get around him.

thats is my whole point.

if you want to be a peter puffer then be a private peter puffer behind closed doors with a consenting adult. ya'll just lay their and puff peters all night

but during the day, I see no reason for you to put your sexuality preferences out in the street. refrain from public peter puffing.

It is A RESPECT issue,

if you want me to respect you. show decorum ,

If I do not know you have a propensity for public peter puffing , I have no reason to deny you baked goods

thats is my whole point.

if you want to be a peter puffer then be a private peter puffer behind closed doors with a consenting adult. ya'll just lay their and puff peters all night

but during the day, I see no reason for you to put your sexuality preferences out in the street. refrain from public peter puffing.

It is A RESPECT issue,

if you want me to respect you. show decorum ,

If I do not know you have a propensity for public peter puffing , I have no reason to deny you baked goods
I generally agree. But that's where it becomes the original problem. Two men (or women) lead normal lives, work regular jobs and keep the sexuality to themselves. Until they go to buy a wedding cake. Then the baker gets to make a judgement just because the cake has to say "Felix & Oscar"

I think refusing the work is just as dumb as trying to push someone to do something they don't want to. Treat people as you would be treated, can not be a sin. After a while more and more people figure out that they have friends that have been turned away and sooner or later the business will suffer.

I just want to add that I work very closely with a guy that has completely opposite views as me on just about everything. We keep work professional and have not had any issues in the last five years.

Freedom of Religions initial attempt was to free people from The Church of England, pure and simple.

Christianity was then practiced openly only until recently where Christianity is being subdued as more Third World immigrants are being brought in to the change this country's culture.

Christianity has been attacked since its inception. Kinda makes one wonder if GOD is actually real.

Must be...

I generally agree. But that's where it becomes the original problem. Two men (or women) lead normal lives, work regular jobs and keep the sexuality to themselves. Until they go to buy a wedding cake. Then the baker gets to make a judgement just because the cake has to say "Felix & Oscar"

I REALLY think that it is the Bakers RIGHT [as the owner of his business}
to deny service to anyone for any reason.

I also think he would be a fool for turning away the business, but it is HIS business to do as he wish's.
when you start telling a man how to run his business I think you need to open your wallet and start paying his bills, OR shut up, you have no dog in his hunt

so whats next ?

if a homeless junky wonders into your business you are not allowed to throw his BO stinking *** out

because he has a "drug problem" if you refuse his stinking of pee and vomit *** service the gubment going to shut you down?

how about a KNOW pediphile , I myself would turn him away...might even thump his head one time.

BUT,,,you say I HAVE to serve him...I dont think so

Calm down, it's a civilized discussion.

So let's suppose you get a call from a guy, he asks you to come on over and plumb his bathroom with rough outs for his upcoming renovation. When you get there, maybe you see that it's two men, maybe their wedding picture is on the wall, ...whatever...... Do you turn around and walk out? Suppose you don't realize until you're half-way done; what do you do?

Calm down, it's a civilized discussion.

So let's suppose you get a call from a guy, he asks you to come on over and plumb his bathroom with rough outs for his upcoming renovation. When you get there, maybe you see that it's two men, maybe their wedding picture is on the wall, ...whatever...... Do you turn around and walk out? Suppose you don't realize until you're half-way done; what do you do?

me ? i just do the work,,I am not hung up on the subject,

my beef is that if I decided. I did not want to do the work,,I should not be sued for my beliefs.

you forget, I am not against gay people, I am against government telling a shop owner who he will serve and who he wont.

I believe a shop owner, or plumbing contractor should be able to work for whoever they wish or not wish without fear of being sued or jailed
it is their business,they should be able to run it as they see fit

Latest posts

Back