The "What did you do today thread"?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to hang around home today. This is the last day of school for my 17 year old autistic son. He is graduating a year early. When it sinks in that he isn't going back, I don't know how he will take it.

We'll keep ya all in our thoughts and prayers.

I have to hang around home today. This is the last day of school for my 17 year old autistic son. He is graduating a year early. When it sinks in that he isn't going back, I don't know how he will take it.

Off to college now.

So today was a crappy day at work for me. I am so busy I am borrowing guys from all my friends companies to try to get some work done. One job started today and two more starting Monday and all a few weeks long. Well today we go to saw cut our concrete and asphalt and I am using a rental saw from the company I use all the time. Well the saw would not stay running for more then 30 seconds. After phone fighting for an hour they had me a new saw by 10 am. by then it is almost lunch time and I am paying a crew to sit around all morning. Mind you we left for work at 4am. Finally got through saw cutting by 3pm and had to pack up and go home. Already a half a day behind and we are on day one.

Then I found out two of my guys cant make it to work tomorrow. The two I really need to get progress done. Both Operators/Pipelayers.

Another one just called and said he had to leave town for a while. I told him not to bother coming back. Also my main guy broke his leg a few weeks ago and has been out. I am down to one employee that barely knows how to push a broom and thats it. After I told the general I would have extra guys on jobsite tomorrow. This sucks! If I didn't have a job meeting 40 minutes away from the job I am working on at 9am I might be able to get some work done myself. I called my brother to try and get him to help but he is whining he is in school and can't miss a day, come on man you are almost 40 it's too late for school.

How much can you pay a man that knows how to do most anything and can learn anything he doesnt know in no time??

Oh ................. and then theres travel pay.

I pay pretty well, and then work you like a dog. It is hard work most of the time, digging by hand a lot and everything is heavy and there is never enough room down under ground to make work easy. But the pay is good.

Travel pay is a thing of not around here. I get questioned when I put a line item in my bid for Mobilization, like it is free to get equipment transported and for me to drive 3 hours each way for a month.

So I called my father in law who lives in the mountains but does pipeline work too. He is heading down the mountain in a few. He will be here by midnight to work at 4am. I should probably get some sleep.

Hey Guys. Sorry been gone so much, but been thrashing on the hot rod. Got the chassis back from the powder coater and just about done with then new firewall and front floors. Another week and I'll send the body over to have it blasted, then painter will come and prime it.

I'll start on the chassis build up(AIR RIDE ON ALL 4 CORNERS) next week.
Spent today in the dentists office getting some long needed work done.

View attachment 01A-FRAME B-A SMALL.jpg

View attachment 01a-firewall out.jpg

View attachment 01A-OLD-NEW FIREWALL.jpg

View attachment 01A-NEW FW&FLOORS-SML.jpg

Car is looking good.

I worked for free for a few hours today then proceeded to rip a live electric line out of the ground.

Car is looking good.

I worked for free for a few hours today then proceeded to rip a live electric line out of the ground.

Car is looking good.

HAHAHA, I work "for free" EVERY DAY!!

I pressure washed a house and removed a non load bearing decorative column that was rotten and started installing a new PVC column but........I have to get some stronger nails for my .22 Cal Remington nail gun It seems the Rock I was trying to nail the cleat to is harder than concrete................. Oh well Monday is another day. Then I scheduled another wash job for Wednesday of next week. If I could stay this busy all the time I might not be so broke. I have the next 2 plus weeks booked!

Worked out in the yard today, have a 16' dump trailer full of old bushs. Grilled some backstrap and have a nice salad...life is good.

Graded some trenches and laid some pipe. I am ready for a vacation. I haven't been this busy in a couple years.

Me and the G/F took a drive up to Lake Arrowhead today, walked around the village, looked at some homes for sale, and visited my cousin's house. (No Chris, he has yet to make the necessary repairs to his backflow)

Im assuming thats not the lake arrowhead in waleska Georgia. That would be quite the saturday trip!

Back