Humble 3 Car

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brakes!!! Well 2 anyway, but that's a step up for a model T from 1.

Well I took the car on it's first actual road trip today. Went 20 miles at speeds between 35 mph and 45 and I'm still here to tell about it. A complete success. Nothing happened that I didn't plan on happening!

Also, given that the car is a complete re-build of it's former self, but by me this time, I've re-badged the car 121x as a sequel to my dad's original number for it 121. The same car, but now with 1 more story to tell.

That's awesome. My dad had a 27 his new wife made him give up on. Wish I were older when that happened and I could have saved it.

I'd be driving the crap out of that car. Nice!

Until you get into a minor fender bender and die.

It's about the same protection as a motorcycle provides.

About the same protection, but much harder to drive IMO. No clutch, no synchros, no foot throttle, no vacuum advance, no windshield.

I never realized they had no foot throttles Allen. Can you take a pic and explain how you throttle and shift it with no synchros?

I would assume very carefully, I'd wheel it.

O.k. Here is whole setup

We have 3 pedals on the floor, timing and throttle on the column, a shifter for the aux gear box with low gear, direct drive, and hi gear, a lever on the left for the parking/emergency brake and to hold it in "neutral" for starting on cars that didn't have a gear box with a true neutral.

The three Pedals

Pedal on the left is Hi/low. All the way in is low gear, all the way out is hi gear. Somewhere in the middle is "neutral". When you pull the lever on the left it moves the pedal on the left as well so it keeps the car in neutral while you get out and crank the car by hand. Often times in cold weather the "neutral" didn't work so well and cars would creep forward.

The middle pedal is reverse. You hold the pedal on the left in the "neutral" position and step on the pedal in the middle and the car should go backwards.

The pedal on the right is the brake. An original T (Mine has hydraulic brakes and you can see the pushrod going through the firewall to the master cylinder )just had a band that went around the transmission basically and stopped everything from spinning. So you step on the left pedal and hold it in "neutral" and then step on the brake to stop.

Timing and throttle on the column

Timing on the left, throttle on the right

Highly sought after, aux. gear box (3 speed)

Shifting is all done with throttle control. You have to match the engine speed with the drivetrin speed and find a gear, not the easiest of tasks considering you have to shift with the right hand and control the throttle with the right hand. Often times cars with a gear box like this will run a 4th pedal for the throttle in addition to the throttle on the column. This makes getting everything lined up for shifting a bit easier.

Any questions? lol, not quite the easiest of cars to driving in modern traffic.

I never thought they were that complicated. No wonder I usually only see them parked as Garage Queens!

Almost seems easier to walk?

If you have a car that you have to hand crank and it won't fire on the first couple pulls, then it may be. I have a starter for back up at least.

It's been a while since any updates. Been doing some work on the car, but not so much on the garage. I did kill another hand me down air compressor so I did step up to a bigger one and moved it back in the garage to keep it out of the elements until I can get a shed built.

The wooden firewall is no more

I'll be starting on the sub frame and floor plan this week so that I have a true floor and somewhere to start building the cowling off of.

Also took delivery on the latest revision of the fuel tank. I wish I could say I did the fab work on this one, but I didn't. I did the design and rough coutting, but he did the assembly and welding.

Some really clean welding on the gas tank.

i have a friend with a model T that is in driveable condition. it is even licensed. He took me for a ride in it last summer. I was pretty amazed at how complicated it was, but he drove like any other car. it was fun. He drove me down to the hospital and dropped me off in the E.R. driveway. we got a lot of strange looks as we went by.

Made a few upgrades to a recent purchase today. Does a great job, especially for the price.

First panel that I made with the bead roller

All of the floor panels fitted and secured with 1/4 turn fasteners

Start of the mock up for the body

Drill press I picked up for $95 that needs some TLC but the spindle runs true so nothing major

Bottles to go with the Torch

and a late Christmas present from the wife and my parents. Shopped around quite a bit for a used setup, but couldn't find anything that didn't need re-built or that hadn't been abused. This new Victor torch should last me a life time

that floor is looking great. love the bead roller. I have not really had a use for one yet but it is such a cool tool I would love to have one. and a sheet metal brake, and plasma cutter, and a..... oh well that is why I go to work every day so someday I can buy all these cool tools lol. seriously though that looks great.

Back