Quantcast

No corona virus thread???

Help Support House Repair Talk:

Flyover

Trying not to screw things up worse
Reaction score
Well, we got on a tangent about Google because someone made a claim about Google scrubbing results for political reasons and therefore not being a trustworthy place to look up information about medicine. I felt the need to try and set the record straight. I don't really have a "side" I'm on so I try to represent everything evenly and that took us down a second tangent that was political. So, going down the rabbit hole is probably my fault.

This virus -- or specifically, the vaccine for it we expect to see later next year -- has made me realize I am very inconsistent and probably have no guiding principles on when I do and do not trust authorities to tell me what is safe.

femgroup

Reaction score
Well, we got on a tangent about Google because someone made a claim about Google scrubbing results for political reasons and therefore not being a trustworthy place to look up information about medicine. I felt the need to try and set the record straight. I don't really have a "side" I'm on so I try to represent everything evenly and that took us down a second tangent that was political. So, going down the rabbit hole is probably my fault.

This virus -- or specifically, the vaccine for it we expect to see later next year -- has made me realize I am very inconsistent and probably have no guiding principles on when I do and do not trust authorities to tell me what is safe.
On that we are kindred souls. To show you how rudderless my own thoughts are with respect to this virus, I'm going to see if it (with all due respect) kills some first responders. If it doesn't, I'm going in. how's that for guidance?

Spicoli43

Reaction score
Some really great comments on this thread. As far as me, my old profession as ND marijuana, sure, I've had fun in my hay day, but never liked pot. Worse yet, is the potency of pot these days. Good lord, some is worse than the strongest drugs of the past. Nope, pot makes me feel lazy, ugly and worthless.
Well, right. The Weed these days is sprayed with massive amounts of chemicals. I have never been much into it, but I do know the difference now from High School. In my Brother's case, the grower is inside, no chemicals, etc., and the dispensary follows those rules I guess.

Now, just opened this email about knee pain... Turmeric, Ginger and Black Pepper. Maybe that is why I don't have much knee pain. I have used all 3 in cooking for 2 decades or so I guess. Maybe my situation has nothing to do with DMSO.

I Hyperextended my knee this summer trying to kick a soccer ball, and was planted on the ground in intense pain. I had to crawl 50 yards into the house and sit around, unable to work, using a chair as a walker.. That lasted a day, and I was back to normal action the next evening, able to walk.

I would say maybe figure out a recipe you like and try it for a while.

68bucks

Reaction score
QUOTE="Spicoli43, post: 255272, member: 56609"]
Well, some in the government are trying to get rid of Section 230 which protects Big Tech. The Left and Right are owned by Pharma, but Duckduckgo doesn't scrub the search "HPV side effects". Regardless though, my go to search for all medical topics is Green Med Info because they don't publish if there isn't scientific studies backing up the article.

As far as Google, I saw a video a long time ago where a guy took his battery and sim card out of his phone and drove around town on a planned route, then when he got back he hooked his phone up to a computer, and it knew everywhere he had gone. Facebook is the same. I don't use it, but the app is on my phone and I can't remove it.

I leave it home because it's known that they track everywhere you go. They probably think I'm a perfect obedient Covid slave!![/QUOTE]
I would like to see a link to anything demonstrating that a cell phone can be tracked without any power source, I say no way. Also regarding section 230 that has had the right up in arms. Imo those companies are no different than the hundreds of radio stations that support the right so if they try to legislate away the freedom of speech of some tech companies, which are private companies, then they will have to similarly regulate a lot of other sources. Opens a whole can of worms if you ask me, not to mention ignoring the 1st amendment. BTW I do not have an account on any social media platform so I don't have a horse in the race.

Rusty

Flooring installer
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
QUOTE="Spicoli43, post: 255272, member: 56609"]
Well, some in the government are trying to get rid of Section 230 which protects Big Tech. The Left and Right are owned by Pharma, but Duckduckgo doesn't scrub the search "HPV side effects". Regardless though, my go to search for all medical topics is Green Med Info because they don't publish if there isn't scientific studies backing up the article.

As far as Google, I saw a video a long time ago where a guy took his battery and sim card out of his phone and drove around town on a planned route, then when he got back he hooked his phone up to a computer, and it knew everywhere he had gone. Facebook is the same. I don't use it, but the app is on my phone and I can't remove it.

I leave it home because it's known that they track everywhere you go. They probably think I'm a perfect obedient Covid slave!!
I would like to see a link to anything demonstrating that a cell phone can be tracked without any power source, I say no way. Also regarding section 230 that has had the right up in arms. Imo those companies are no different than the hundreds of radio stations that support the right so if they try to legislate away the freedom of speech of some tech companies, which are private companies, then they will have to similarly regulate a lot of other sources. Opens a whole can of worms if you ask me, not to mention ignoring the 1st amendment. BTW I do not have an account on any social media platform so I don't have a horse in the race.
[/QUOTE]
The newer cars have a GPS they can read too.

Flyover

Reaction score
Smartphones have small reserve batteries, or reserve a part of the normal battery, ostensibly to keep stuff like the clock going if your phone dies, but have been known to keep other functions going as well, at least enough to enable some basic tracking. Ed Snowden talked about this in his first interview with Joe Rogan.

(The Daily Mail is garbage like all other journalism, but the basic bulleted facts at the top of the article are probably true: Apple can track you even AFTER your iPhone battery dies)

I believe older flip phones like the one I use do not have this feature. If I remove my battery and SIM card I am truly off the radar. Just another good reason to downgrade!

Spicoli43

Reaction score
The newer cars have a GPS they can read too.
[/QUOTE]

Well, there is tracking chips in the batteries, but I remember he took the battery out.

As far as section 230, what are you talking about in terms of freedom of speech for tech companies?

I'm talking about them blocking freedom of speech. Why should they be allowed to censor speech to their liking, such as twitter blocking the New York Post talking about the true story of Hunter Biden and his dealings with the Ukrainian company Burisma and Joe Biden threatening withholding aid if the prosecutor in Hunter's case wasn't fired?

If you are a Leftist organization such as Antifa, talking about burning down city blocks, they won't censor you.

Flyover

Reaction score
I know nothing about section 230 but I don't see how Facebook/Twitter/Google have any obligation to be fair or permit speech. They're private companies. There's debate over whether their services amount to "public platforms" but it's astounding to me that anyone takes those ideas seriously. Imagine going to the hardware store barefoot and saying they're violating your rights by asking you to put on shoes. Or if someone came on here calling other people names or spamming erection pills and then saying his rights were violated when he got banned.

What the tech companies should not do, however, is CLAIM they are being absolutely fair when they aren't. That is false advertising, potentially fraud in some cases. Being absolutely fair, and still providing any kind of decent/coherent experience, is probably impossible anyway because of all the edge cases and judgment calls, even if the companies were run by space aliens without any skin in the game.

(Sorry again for off-topic.)

Rusty

Flooring installer
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Facebook makes no sense. I tried to share a post about a food giveaway for children. They said it "violated community standards".

Spicoli43

Reaction score
I know nothing about section 230 but I don't see how Facebook/Twitter/Google have any obligation to be fair or permit speech. They're private companies. There's debate over whether their services amount to "public platforms" but it's astounding to me that anyone takes those ideas seriously. Imagine going to the hardware store barefoot and saying they're violating your rights by asking you to put on shoes. Or if someone came on here calling other people names or spamming erection pills and then saying his rights were violated when he got banned.

What the tech companies should not do, however, is CLAIM they are being absolutely fair when they aren't. That is false advertising, potentially fraud in some cases. Being absolutely fair, and still providing any kind of decent/coherent experience, is probably impossible anyway because of all the edge cases and judgment calls, even if the companies were run by space aliens without any skin in the game.

(Sorry again for off-topic.)
Fakebook deleted a post by the President that said the Flu can be deadlier than Covid, saying it was false and against their health "policies". The problem is it's 100% accurate. Fakebook and Tweeter and Google all pick and choose what they approve to be seen, much like every Leftist "news" website there is.

It's not the same as people showing up here and breaking the rules, getting banned. Anything said here isn't broadcast to the whole world. The question on 230 is when do these fake sites become publishers, which removes their protections. There is the argument that censoring true facts like the President's makes them a publisher. I agree.

Spicoli43

Reaction score
in the state of Virginia
I wouldn't have paid that BS ticket, and would have never gone back to that backward state. There's really nothing worth going there for. When I lived there, cops would run speed traps from their own driveways. That was hickville though, nothing better to do. The coast is probably different.

Rusty

Flooring installer
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
A few years back, I was on a deserted road coming back from a job about 60 miles from home. From nowhere a trooper pulled me over and after checking all the lights, he wrote me a ticket for 56 in a 55. $80.00. I paid it because I was booked for weeks ahead and it would have cost me several hundred in money for missing a job. Looked like he was just out of the academy. I don't understand a judge not just throwing a bogus ticket out.

Spicoli43

Reaction score
A few years back, I was on a deserted road coming back from a job about 60 miles from home. From nowhere a trooper pulled me over and after checking all the lights, he wrote me a ticket for 56 in a 55. $80.00. I paid it because I was booked for weeks ahead and it would have cost me several hundred in money for missing a job. Looked like he was just out of the academy. I don't understand a judge not just throwing a bogus ticket out.
I have gotten one of those 1 overs on a Navy Base. That doesn't make sense because it's proven that both speedometers and radar / laser can be off by more than that. They don't play at all on base though, and this was before all our rights were removed.

Flyover

Reaction score
Maybe a court will decide otherwise but as far as I can tell Facebook/Twitter/etc. are private companies running private websites; they are not public spaces or utilities or publishers, even if they are very popular. They have the right to ban people for saying the sky is blue if they want to.

What I think they should not be allowed to do is claim that they are fair or impartial or whatever. By the same token I don't think any news outlet should be allowed to claim that either.

And no, stuff on Facebook isn't broadcast to the world; you have to also be on Facebook to have it broadcast to you. Thank goodness for that because I'm not on Facebook or Twitter or any of those social media sites and so I don't see the dumb things people write there. My life is much better for it. (No social media, no smartphone...I should write a book and call it "How to achieve enlightenment in the 21st century"! If I wasn't so stupid maybe I could get away with it!)

Spicoli43

Reaction score
Just putting the word true in the sentence doesn't mean that it actually is. Just sayin'
Huh?

"The report does not assert that the former vice president pushed for the firing of a Ukrainian prosecutor in order to protect Burisma, a central claim made by President Trump and his allies."

Here's the link for that "claim", and a nice video.

Rusty

Flooring installer
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Maybe a court will decide otherwise but as far as I can tell Facebook/Twitter/etc. are private companies running private websites; they are not public spaces or utilities or publishers, even if they are very popular. They have the right to ban people for saying the sky is blue if they want to.

What I think they should not be allowed to do is claim that they are fair or impartial or whatever. By the same token I don't think any news outlet should be allowed to claim that either.

And no, stuff on Facebook isn't broadcast to the world; you have to also be on Facebook to have it broadcast to you. Thank goodness for that because I'm not on Facebook or Twitter or any of those social media sites and so I don't see the dumb things people write there. My life is much better for it. (No social media, no smartphone...I should write a book and call it "How to achieve enlightenment in the 21st century"! If I wasn't so stupid maybe I could get away with it!)
I'm on Facebook because it allows me to stay in touch with people from my 1966 graduating class. I can even talk to one who .lives in Thailand.

Flyover

Reaction score
@Rusty: Facebook "allows" you to stay in touch with them but that doesn't mean you're otherwise disallowed. There are lots of other ways to stay in touch, and that's my point. Facebook is not a public utility and people can easily live without it.

I do not have an account on any social media platform so I don't have a horse in the race.
Hey wait a second...
😆

femgroup

Reaction score
Huh?

"The report does not assert that the former vice president pushed for the firing of a Ukrainian prosecutor in order to protect Burisma, a central claim made by President Trump and his allies."

Here's the link for that "claim", and a nice video.

Any elemental understanding of the issues in Ukraine, compels a journalistic operation to report on the facts. The facts in Ukraine are well known, and the video does nothing to change that. Biden was always in charge of the Government's efforts in Ukraine, he didn't step in to aid Hunter. Unfortunately a political body such as the U.S. Senate, and certainly our Whitehouse operations are not restrained by any notion of fact-finding, or, for that matter, decency. Increasingly (or maybe convincingly), FaceBook and the other social media operations are quickly becoming the only accessible media operations that exist for lots of folks, and questions such as the veracity of the postings that exist on their sites are rightly examined.

Frankly, in my opinion, any President ought to be ashamed of posting and re-posting false and misleading information, but that Genie appears to be out of the bottle, and these organizations are left with figuring out where they stand in the transmission of such info. In that conundrum, and much like their newspaper editing equals, they are left with making those decisions. Claims of unfairness and such should be filed and dealt with quickly and fairly, much like daily newspapers do now, but the limits of how all that works is directly tied to the limits of humans.

Flyover

Reaction score
Any elemental understanding of the issues in Ukraine, compels a journalistic operation to report on the facts.
Apologies in advance; this is kind of a hobby horse of mine.

Journalism is a show put on by people trained in stuff like English Lit and Theater Studies, where they write and talk in ways meant to make them sound like authorities on what is true and important. They have no claim to any real authority on anything besides maybe "how to turn around a story on a deadline".

The show they put on, which we know as The News, is still just a show and just like The Simpsons or Law & Order it is beholden only to whatever rules its creators impose on themselves, and whatever constraints are placed on it by the necessity to sell ad space. Journalism could from this day forth only cover stories about slime molds and two-legged cats and it would not change anything fundamental about what journalism is or what role it fills in our society.

If something is actually critical for you to know about, and/or is some kind of information you can use or take action on, you will hear about it from a source upstream from the newspaper office or production studio.